The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann to reissue the U47?
Old 30th July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus ➡️
I had the close-to serial-ready prototype here in April. Neumann wanted my input. I deconstructed the mic, substituted components- from capsule to transforer, from tube to coupling cap, and compared it and its main sound-shaping components to a vintage version with similar circuit.

I was genuinely surprised at the love and attention to detail that went into this project.
Fit and finish were superb, every circuit detail of the original was copied to a fault (to their credit, Neumann took my input and changed a few things).

The execution of the reissue prototype was on par with, if not better than the U67 Reissue. I will publish the same point-by-point analysis I did with the U47fet and U67 RI as soon as Neumann has sent me one of the first samples.

Considering the general trend in audio electronics, and considering that Neumann is owned by a high-tech, left brain giant worth billions, whose general direction is anything but "revisiting the past", the M49v is nothing short of anachronistic, and in a good way anachronistic: aural pleasure was the point here, and the new management at Neumann is really starting to understand that it must serve aural pleasure first and foremost to maintain the brand's pole position.
Thank you for sharing this, Klaus. It is nice hearing from someone who has had his hands on the mic. 😀😀
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I deconstructed the mic, substituted components- from capsule to transforer, from tube to coupling cap, and compared it and its main sound-shaping components to a vintage version with similar circuit.
Can you confirm what tube they are using Klaus? Thx.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
I had the close-to serial-ready prototype here in April. Neumann wanted my input. I deconstructed the mic, substituted components- from capsule to transforer, from tube to coupling cap, and compared it and its main sound-shaping components to a vintage version with similar circuit.

I was genuinely surprised at the love and attention to detail that went into this project.
Fit and finish were superb, every circuit detail of the original was copied to a fault (to their credit, Neumann took my input and changed a few things).

The execution of the reissue prototype was on par with, if not better than the U67 Reissue. I will publish the same point-by-point analysis I did with the U47fet and U67 RI as soon as Neumann has sent me one of the first samples.

Considering the general trend in audio electronics, and considering that Neumann is owned by a high-tech, left brain giant worth billions, whose general direction is anything but "revisiting the past", the M49v is nothing short of anachronistic, and in a good way anachronistic: aural pleasure was the point here, and the new management at Neumann is really starting to understand that it must serve aural pleasure first and foremost to maintain the brand's pole position.
It’s good to hear the favorable opinion because this is the only thing one can actually hear : https://youtu.be/KM8otZH2h_4

It’s not really what I think of when I think of a really good M49. It is a fair bit unbalanced and garish in its apparent representation of the vocals. It is audibly adding elements to natural vocal male vocal that are objectionable artifacts, in comparison to what I expect from a magical M49.
Old 30th July 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Great news klaus and thanks for snippet of news.. so what tube is it. 😜
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➡️
Great news klaus and thanks for snippet of news.. so what tube is it.
Quote:
Can you confirm what tube they are using Klaus?
I agreed with Neumann to wait with disclosures of all details (and they will be granular, believe me!) until the mic is issued and my review is published.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Thanks so much for sharing your early impressions @ Klaus !

Hoping to get my own hands (& ears) on one, but will be looking forward to your full tear-down in the meantime.

Quote:
I had the close-to serial-ready prototype here in April. Neumann wanted my input. I deconstructed the mic, substituted components- from capsule to transformer, from tube to coupling cap, and compared it and its main sound-shaping components to a vintage version with similar circuit.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My guess on the tube is the Phædrus Audio AC701 ....but hey, I have nothing to base it on.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
This m49v does me more or less reminds melike an akgC12 .
Old 31st July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
I’ve soured on this mic. Reason is it is not a real M49. Also turned off by how it is being introduced.
Was offered a place in line but declined.
Aren't you the guy that pushes the FleA stuff - all over the internet?
I'm sure it's a very good mic but does NOT have a Neumann capsule, does NOT have an AC701, does NOT have a Neumann transformer, etc.
And you state that the new Neumann M49 is "not a real M49"?
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos ➡️
I'm sure it's a very good mic but does NOT have a Neumann capsule, does NOT have an AC701, does NOT have a Neumann transformer, etc.
Looking at your attempt to put Plush on blast for some reason…You know that a Neumann M49 doesn’t have a Neumann transformer right? It’s just funny for you to not even know what you’re attempting to discuss on a basic level. Anyway…

Not everyone has to weigh out all the variables the same way. Just because he has Flea mics doesn’t undermine the validity of his opinion for his own life! The guy has owned and used far more Neumann mics and other high end gear than most will have the opportunity to touch, and a lot of people around here do know that as a fact.

Personally, I’m eager to here good sounding recordings and get firm details. I think it’s fair to be critical of a lack of both at this point, as well as the current “marketing”, but I have long felt Neumann makes some of the most immaculate builds in the industry. Their U67 package is absolutely top flight and it’s great they’re adding another one. My criticism of the sound I hear in the Jose James thing is just being realistic and not pulling punches, because I think it actually potentially is helpful. I’m sure they’ll work it out.
Old 31st July 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Every part of the José James recording sounds terrible. I’m embarrassed for Sennheiser that they even posted it. So judging the vocal mic on a recording where every part of production and the mix sounds bad seems a poor choice.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon ➡️
Every part of the José James recording sounds terrible. I’m embarrassed for Sennheiser that they even posted it. So judging the vocal mic on a recording where every part of production and the mix sounds bad seems a poor choice.
I was thinking over whether to get one or two, and I had a moment where I was like “what in the hell am I realistically thinking when the only tangible thing I actually have to go on is this recording that I think sounds…not good and not correct”. I would realistically take down that mic and put something else up, if I was recording that and getting those results. I would then might look at what I should do about the mic not sounding right. That’s just being real.

I would find it jarring to use my M49 or any of the very many M49 I have used and still often use - and not feel that it was smoothing things out, or if I was hearing that sonic result in general. I know I’m not the only one who thinks this about the video, Pentagon, because a few other people have brought it up to me this week.
Lives for gear

Don't worry. Crille, Alec Brits and the whole youtube squad of professional engineers will give us a review very soon. Only their opinion matters. Oh and podcastage too, where no matter which mic is being used, his voice is so unappealing that it doesn't matter what you use, it always sounds like torture to your ears regardless.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch ➡️
Oh and podcastage too, where no matter which mic is being used, his voice is so unappealing that it doesn't matter what you use, it always sounds like torture to your ears regardless.
Thank you for this. I thought I was the only one who felt this way.
I do respect Crille's opinion though. And he's a good singer, too!
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos ➡️
Hello Playa Aremos,

Thank you for remembering about my enthusiasm for FLEA. FLEA is always excellent. And yes, I am the original FLEA freak.

I have Neumann M49 mics here and I have a FLEA 49 too. Back when I got my FLEA 49, I specified that they supply it with a ac701 tube and a Neumann capsule. That's what I received.
Cannot comment on the transformer. But it sure does sound great and very close to the real Neumann M49 mics I have.

I was at first stoked to add another Neumann M49 (M49V) but decided against it because it is an unknown quantity. I still bet it is good since Neumann is a good house of great mics. However, I require connoisseur level design.

But there are other mics companies I am involved with that are offering an upcoming model that is NOT a mystery to me because I helped with its design.

It is a real tube mic with a real and full size tube, a unique capsule, genuine superb transformer etc. Designed by a world renowned master.
I have used it here and it sounds absolutely world-beating.

So I will buy 2 of those instead.

Last edited by Plush; 1st August 2022 at 02:58 AM..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSisi ➡️
Do people know how much noise comes out of a mic like this. this is really only for those who want to record sounds from the 1950's. Unusable for today standard.
How many have buy them and where disappointed, because the noise. Including the good tubes.
HUH? I.v got a locker in back filled with 86 Vintage mics none of them I could even describe a "noisy"
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Playa Aremos,

Thank you for remembering about my enthusiasm for FLEA. FLEA is always excellent. And yes, I am the original FLEA freak.

I have Neumann M49 mics here and I have a FLEA 49 too. Back when I got my FLEA 49, I specified that they supply it with a ac701 tube and a Neumann capsule. That's what I received.
Cannot comment on the transformer. But it sure does sound great and very close to the real Neumann M49 mics I have.

I was at first stoked to add another Neumann M49 (M49V) but decided against it because it is an unknown quantity. I still bet it is good since Neumann is a good house of great mics. However, I require connoisseur level design.

But there are other mics companies I am involved with that are offering an upcoming model that is NOT a mystery to me because I helped with its design.

It is a real tube mic with a real and full size tube, a unique Swedish capsule, genuine superb transformer etc. Designed by a world renowned master.

So I will buy 2 of those instead.
Sounds way cool.
Chris
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S ➡️
HUH? I.v got a locker in back filled with 86 Vintage mics none of them I could even describe a "noisy"
I mean the vf14 tube in this line. A U87ai is quieter.
I was also sting the dragon a bit.
Old 1st August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle ➡️
My guess on the tube is the Phædrus Audio AC701 ....but hey, I have nothing to base it on.
They don’t exist anymore and it wasn’t a real tube anyway.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
They don’t exist anymore and it wasn’t a real tube anyway.
Has he shut up shop now?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Do people know how much noise comes out of a mic like this. this is really only for those who want to record sounds from the 1950's. Unusable for today standard.
How many have buy them and where disappointed, because the noise. Including the good tubes.
Clueless.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➡️
Has he shut up shop now?
I heard he was in France and his partner is in Maidstone but looking at the website they look open as usual.
What do yo get from them? I got a VF14 but it was a bit growly though I think they are smoother and some Ac701k but haven’t heard them yet. I also got a couple of the London pre amps but the Olympic are much better.
They’re good people though.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
Clueless.
This is the high-end thread. Everything with noise or color must be removed.

I'm justkidding a little.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
According to the Sweetwaters listing the heater voltage is 6.3v.

Def not an ac701 In there.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Griffon? As with their GMT-12?

https://griffon-microphones.jimdofree.com/gmt-12/

Quote:

It is a real tube mic with a real and full size tube, a unique capsule, genuine superb transformer etc. Designed by a world renowned master.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
No, not Griffon. Griffon is a very good line of mics though. Made in Brittany, France.

Here is use the Griffon GMT-12, also one of their germanium mics. and the made in a 3D printer wide cardioid mic.
Old 1st August 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
the answer is quite simple......

look at the success of the other Neumann re-issue mics......

nuff said.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow ➡️
According to the Sweetwaters listing the heater voltage is 6.3v.

Def not an ac701 In there.
Did you hear the awesome news? It’ll take an AC701 for those who wish to use it. It has an internal switch for heater voltage for that tube along with A, B, and C revision switching options. I am impressed with Neumann’s detail and understanding of crazy mic purists.
Old 2nd August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
What Klaus says is encouraging
I wanna hear one
Old 2nd August 2022 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This is the high-end thread. Everything with noise or color must be removed.

I'm justkidding a little.
I dunno, my 1958 Neumann KM-56 is kinda noisy. It still makes it into the sessions though. I hear the KM-56c's are a little quieter.
📝 Reply