The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann to reissue the U47?
Old 17th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I always forget about the Sony. Didn’t know it was still available.
Old 17th January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Honestly Thrill, unless we still had a real Music Industry and I was busy singing in it-dream dream (hey Sinatra had his own personal one )...

I'd feel a little guilty about having a "real" U47, and taking one away from Pro's like yourself. Kinda like how Collectors can spoil it for Enthusiasts.
Chris
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
Honestly Thrill, unless we still had a real Music Industry and I was busy singing in it-dream dream (hey Sinatra had his own personal one )...

I'd feel a little guilty about having a "real" U47, and taking one away from Pro's like yourself. Kinda like how Collectors can spoil it for Enthusiasts.
Chris
I am talking about the M49 not a U47.
I haven't heard from them about a U47 reissue( I can ask).

And to be honest I've always considered the U47 a mic that rarely gets used anymore( unless I am tracking an upright bass or tenor sax and it doesn't as often as it used to unfortunately).
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➡️
I am talking about the M49 not a U47.
I haven't heard from them about a U47 reissue( I can ask).

And to be honest I've always considered the U47 a mic that rarely gets used anymore( unless I am tracking an upright bass or tenor sax and it doesn't as often as it used to unfortunately).
Sorry. I intended M49 (must be a Freudian slip).
I hurt my back last week, and the pain's been distracting.
(should be fine within 2 weeks)

And laryngitus to boot. Thankfully just vocal "overuse" by Chatty Chessparov-not illness.
Thanks, Chris
P.S. A 47 Reissue would be out of this world too!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➡️
The price was going to be $10K.
Now with Covid inflationary pressures, price will be higher.
Makes sense given the 67 was around 7
Old 14th July 2022 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
I have to admit that I would definitely buy a reissue m49!
I loved my reissue u67 so much that I bought two and sold my vintage one. I know that it’s been beaten to death all over the forums, but I seriously love my reissue 67s! I could never hear a difference from my vintage mic in any test that we ran and eventually I just sold it to finance a second reissue.

A reissue M49 would be amazing!
Old 15th July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicparakeet ➡️
I have to admit that I would definitely buy a reissue m49!
I loved my reissue u67 so much that I bought two and sold my vintage one. I know that it’s been beaten to death all over the forums, but I seriously love my reissue 67s! I could never hear a difference from my vintage mic in any test that we ran and eventually I just sold it to finance a second reissue.
A reissue M49 would be amazing!
I sold my M269c after buying my U67 reissue. The reissues are truly glorious.

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcollen ➡️
They are... I'd love a pair of them but can't justify at the moment. At lest you've de-risked from the AC701K scarcity issues!

Wiggy
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Because you like “new” ? Or you get so much money you could buy 2 reU67?
!Men you left us with a big question! :D

Last edited by QueenSisi; 15th July 2022 at 11:47 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSisi ➡️
I preferred the U67 reissue to my vintage m269c. To me, it was slightly smoother.
Old 23rd July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Neumann m49 is coming. They posted pic on Instagram
Old 23rd July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The M269c vs the U67 (RI or not) are different mics due to the tube.
Personally prefer the 269. Hopefully with the M49 RI there might be a 269/69 again. Either way, other than for creating new mics, I’ve found the AC701k tubes that have lasted to today seem ready to last another 2 lifetimes. Not worried about “scarcity” as a replacement part.
Old 25th July 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
New photo of the Neumann m49. New sister! ( Or old )

I am very curious who has this mic first and how it sounds. would it have the same stiffness in highs and lows, as on Miles' records?
Attached Thumbnails
Neumann to reissue the U47?-f65d9e18-e331-44ff-9327-b97fdc9965e2.jpeg  
Old 25th July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
New photo of the Neumann m49. New sister! ( Or old )

I am very curious who has this mic first and how it sounds. would it have the same stiffness in highs and lows, as on Miles' records?
it'll cost a fortune! really don't like the badge look compared to the originals, but if it sounds as good as the original then it won't matter.
Old 26th July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
From this angle it’s look more that the badge is clewed on the yoke.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
From this angle it’s look more that the badge is clewed on the yoke.
You are correct. That is the badge on the yoke in the picture.
Old 26th July 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
msmengineer has a new pic on his instgram
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip6 ➡️
msmengineer has a new pic on his instgram
Nice..
Old 30th July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I’ve soured on this mic. Reason is it is not a real M49. Also turned off by how it is being introduced.
Was offered a place in line but declined.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
what would be the price if you wanted it? I missed that compleet.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
I’ve soured on this mic. Reason is it is not a real M49. Also turned off by how it is being introduced.
What makes it “not a real M49”?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
what would be the price if you wanted it? I missed that compleet.
$8,499 introduction in the U.S.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
You mean a bad sounding video of Jose James and an insanely distasteful rollout where rap producers on Instagram are already making posts with it, haven’t made you eager to spend $8500 on what is actually an unknown mic? Go figure.

If my M49CG (Oliver Archut) sounded like that Jose James vid, adding those kind of artifacts and ugliness, I’d be worried something was wrong with it.

Hopefully for Neumann that video represents an unfinished result.

I’m reminded of this comment from Neumann’s Martin Schneider. Originally in context of U67, but in a greater discussion about Neumann remaking old models.
Attached Thumbnails
Neumann to reissue the U47?-80559574-415e-428b-961b-76f6578c3908.jpeg  
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I was offered the mic for a lot less than the price you mention.

Not the real transformer, not the real tube, not the real M49. (Which I already know)

Not a rapper
Not a PRO-DOO-SAH
Old 30th July 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Yeah, people have focused on the tube, but *actually* recreating a BV11 is a whole other issue; the correct wire, wind, real lam metallurgy, matching all the properties including hysteresis, matching the shellacking and baking, etc, etc . And many people seem to not be aware that Neumann didn’t make them themselves.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
So we're saying Neumann might take a shellacking, due to real lame metallurgy?

Toss in mass hysteresis (I only got over that recently BTW), along with that fiendish-almost human marketing approach...

No wonder people that have gotten wind of this, are concerned.
Has the Thrill been gone, as a result?
Chris
P.S. Then again, maybe a huge hit.
Hey if Kanye can be a multi-billionaire?
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
Has the Thrill been gone, as a result?
)
Still here.

And anyone who buys/doesn't buy said tools based on other peoples opinion of said tools, without trying it and seeing if it works for them first...is a fool all the same.

In my opinon.
Old 30th July 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Yes, and that’s why the rush for people to buy the M49 V(ersion) before it’s even released, and the general way info has come out, and very selective LACK of info while dealers are taking orders, has all had a very non-Neumann feel to it. I’ll be eager to try it and maybe buy one, but the only real sonic info so far is that Jose James video. It sounds a lot like the TLM49 idea of an M49. The recording is adding things to Jose’s voice that doesn’t sound good to me. There is an overall hardness and ugliness to the consonants and sibilance. Whereas I kind of expect a good M49 to have a veneer that makes things sound smoother, with the aspects added sounding good. I guess that recording was possibly before it was finalized and who knows what the mic was going into. So, I’m not totally knocking it, just not particularly jazzed with the process so far.

edit: I’ll add - I’ve been seeing Plush online since he posted on the *Neumann pinboard* decades ago. Far from a Neumann hater. And I certainly have bent over backwards pointing out the positives of even some of their most (wrongly) reviled products. Nothing but love for the company and hope for them existing well into the future. But I think it’s fine for there to be nuance, and I can be real about expressing that the situation with this particular product has been a big biff so far and I think it may actually alienate a lot of the longtime base. I write this in the dim hopes they consider not letting a mic release go down this way in the future.

Last edited by toledo3; 30th July 2022 at 08:37 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So, it sounds like very few people are aware of the actual components. If they are, they’re not talking.

Others have soured for a variety of reasons and have dismissed the mic altogether before it has even been released. One has dubbed it “not a real M49.”

So, we know the about the same amount as we did last week.

The few people who have them are raving about them on Instagram. It could be marketing, true love, or both.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So, it sounds like very few people are aware of the actual components. If they are, they’re not talking.

Others have soured for a variety of reasons and have dismissed the mic altogether before it has even been released. One has dubbed it “not a real M49.”
I had the close-to serial-ready prototype here in April. Neumann wanted my input. I deconstructed the mic, substituted components- from capsule to transforer, from tube to coupling cap, and compared it and its main sound-shaping components to a vintage version with similar circuit.

I was genuinely surprised at the love and attention to detail that went into this project.
Fit and finish were superb, every circuit detail of the original was copied to a fault (to their credit, Neumann took my input and changed a few things).

The execution of the reissue prototype was on par with, if not better than the U67 Reissue. I will publish the same point-by-point analysis I did with the U47fet and U67 RI as soon as Neumann has sent me one of the first samples.

Considering the general trend in audio electronics, and considering that Neumann is owned by a high-tech, left brain giant worth billions, whose general direction is anything but "revisiting the past", the M49v is nothing short of anachronistic, and in a good way anachronistic: aural pleasure was the point here, and the new management at Neumann is really starting to understand that it must serve aural pleasure first and foremost to maintain the brand's pole position.
📝 Reply