The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Speakers
Old 11th January 2021 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 26d6446 ➡️
Cheu is in every thread. Even ones that have nothing to do with atc. There’s obviously a motive.
Well, I think the only motive is that he has worked with them for many years, loves them, and feels no need to upgrade. What else is he supposed to say? As Brad Lunde has said, ATC doesn't need to pay for recommendations. Unless its small army of users is delusional, they must be doing something right.
Deleted 26d6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt ➡️
Well, I think the only motive is that he has worked with them for many years, loves them, and feels no need to upgrade. What else is he supposed to say? As Brad Lunde has said, ATC doesn't need to pay for recommendations. Unless its small army of users is delusional, they must be doing something right.
When you don’t endorse it makes sense to have something like this in forums. Every company needs endorsement. Atc is no different
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I think cheu is only trying to let us know how he likes the atc speakers. I wish I could do the same someday. At the moment, I'm still on my search, but getting closer day after day.

Thank you all for all your comments.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Don't forget than nobody can listen with your ears and your brain.
Old 5th July 2021
Deleted 26d6446
I wouldn’t take anything that guy says about studio monitors seriously. He just copied and pasted that comment about ex-machina in every thread he’s in. Dutch n Dutch, new speaker thread and hedd thread. It’s time to delete my account lol. Too many dealer affiliates in here to have an honest conversation

Last edited by Deleted 26d6446; 5th July 2021 at 03:00 PM..
Old 4th August 2021 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Had a demo of the Quasars recently, didn't hear the pulsars but can confirm they blew away demos of Barefoots, Neumanns, ATC and Focals for me. I mostly write produce and mix my own music and clarity, detail and tonal balance are really important. The extremely large sweet spot was also incredibly impressive as I move around my studio alot working with different gear. The fact the stereo image detail was so transparent in this respect sold me over the other speakers I've been demoing the last few months.
Old 14th August 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
After a long time, I'm giving my impressions once I've had the chance to try and work on a lot of speakers.

The most obvious thing I'v learnt is that, once I've tried sealed speakers (in this case the k&h o300), the majority (if not all) of the ported speakers sound blurry and undefined to me making me miss the tightness and precision of sealed design a lot. I've came to the conclusion this is what make me dislike almost the majority of speakers i try. The problem I find with the new kh 310 is that they sound harsh, not close to the warmth the old o300 delivered. By the way, their low end is the most useful low end I've listened to in any speaker.

As you know I tried the scm25a. Their sonic representation was very mid forward and had a very very nice and usable muscle in the low mid range. I really liked them when I covered their ports with their foam. When I did it the lows were tight and robust and very informative, but for me, they were not enough and I would have needed subs. I also found I needed to eq them too much to take those abrasive mids away and I didn't find it cool. Highs were simply correct. In my opinion, not worth what they cost. Passed away.

I had the chance to have in my room the 8351a again during 3 weeks. (Jantex, I invoke you). I repeat what I always say, they have the best stereo image I've ever heard (much more than d&d 8c, atc, pulsars or focal trio to name a few). Their punch is from another planet and plain and simple, they sound freaking incredible. Guess their sonic representation is just perfect. The problem??? What I always say about them: they don't translate well, at leasts in my case. They tend to make things better than they are, making me undercompress a lot of information since they sound good anyway. I think these speakers would be much better without the rear port. My old o300 were the oposite, they told very clearly when you were going too hard in dynamics because they started breaking, that was a very useful tool.

I tried the 8c as well. They sounded awesome (but a little bit cold), but to me, too awesome to be a mixing tool. That coldness changed a bit when low latency mode was activated. Productions I did on them were the worst sounding I've made in the last years. Don't get the point when some people compare them to atc scm50.

(Must say, while waiting for another pair of monitors I made a couple of very nice sounding mixed using a pair of BM5 mkiii, not joking xD)

There are other speakers I would have loved to try such as barefoots 01, but their availability in Europe is not at it's best in these moments.

The circle is finally closing around Amphion line (not sure the two 15 or the one 18) and the kh 310, both with sub systems. I will get them both after vacations and will compare.

To be said, I'm eqing all the speakers using audio hijack and inserting a Pro Q3 to make them ideal to my ears (remember, all ears are different).

Lots of regards to all of you and thank you for maintaining this thread so alive and useful!
Old 16th August 2021 | Show parent
Deleted 26d6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_manu ➡️
After a long time, I'm giving my impressions once I've had the chance to try and work on a lot of speakers.

The most obvious thing I'v learnt is that, once I've tried sealed speakers (in this case the k&h o300), the majority (if not all) of the ported speakers sound blurry and undefined to me making me miss the tightness and precision of sealed design a lot. I've came to the conclusion this is what make me dislike almost the majority of speakers i try. The problem I find with the new kh 310 is that they sound harsh, not close to the warmth the old o300 delivered. By the way, their low end is the most useful low end I've listened to in any speaker.

As you know I tried the scm25a. Their sonic representation was very mid forward and had a very very nice and usable muscle in the low mid range. I really liked them when I covered their ports with their foam. When I did it the lows were tight and robust and very informative, but for me, they were not enough and I would have needed subs. I also found I needed to eq them too much to take those abrasive mids away and I didn't find it cool. Highs were simply correct. In my opinion, not worth what they cost. Passed away.

I had the chance to have in my room the 8351a again during 3 weeks. (Jantex, I invoke you). I repeat what I always say, they have the best stereo image I've ever heard (much more than d&d 8c, atc, pulsars or focal trio to name a few). Their punch is from another planet and plain and simple, they sound freaking incredible. Guess their sonic representation is just perfect. The problem??? What I always say about them: they don't translate well, at leasts in my case. They tend to make things better than they are, making me undercompress a lot of information since they sound good anyway. I think these speakers would be much better without the rear port. My old o300 were the oposite, they told very clearly when you were going too hard in dynamics because they started breaking, that was a very useful tool.

I tried the 8c as well. They sounded awesome (but a little bit cold), but to me, too awesome to be a mixing tool. That coldness changed a bit when low latency mode was activated. Productions I did on them were the worst sounding I've made in the last years. Don't get the point when some people compare them to atc scm50.

(Must say, while waiting for another pair of monitors I made a couple of very nice sounding mixed using a pair of BM5 mkiii, not joking xD)

There are other speakers I would have loved to try such as barefoots 01, but their availability in Europe is not at it's best in these moments.

The circle is finally closing around Amphion line (not sure the two 15 or the one 18) and the kh 310, both with sub systems. I will get them both after vacations and will compare.

To be said, I'm eqing all the speakers using audio hijack and inserting a Pro Q3 to make them ideal to my ears (remember, all ears are different).

Lots of regards to all of you and thank you for maintaining this thread so alive and useful!
So, after demoing all those speakers what are you finding you’re willing to compromise? Why not keep the o300 and pair with something like one15 and Neumann sub (w. o300)?
Old 30th August 2021 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:

The only speakers I’ve not tried that are of interest for me are the Geithan and Qii3. Have you tried any of these? Also have you tried the Ex Machina Quasars? (Not pulsars). Quasars are way ahead for me so far. I have Barefoots and they smoke them in every way.
Old 18th September 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 26d6446 ➡️
So, after demoing all those speakers what are you finding you’re willing to compromise? Why not keep the o300 and pair with something like one15 and Neumann sub (w. o300)?
Kh 310 are staying (I explain in the next post why) and now guessing what will be better as second pair for mixing tool, the ns10 or the one15.
Old 18th September 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've been producing on a pair of 8351A during a month. Me and my mates were really happy with how the tracks were sounding and we were ready to send them to the company. I brought to my studio the kh 310 again and we tested the songs on them just for curiosity. I must say it was a huge wtf in all of us. We couldn't believe what we were hearing, seriously. The songs sounded like crap, like poor demos, can't find words to describe the feeling. The lows sounded blurry, totally undefined and really boomy, the dynamics were out of control. I've had the same experience I had two years ago when I had the chance to work on them. I've remade the mixes on the kh 310 and they sound great on all other systems.

I'm keeping the kh 310, these are the best mix tool I have found, better than any other I've had the chance to use. Must say they are not fun at all, these are just that, amazing mixing tools.

God knows I tried, xD, but for me the Genelec story has finally ended. In my opinion, they lie like crazy.
Old 19th September 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Go and get the kh750 with MA1 for your kh310. I’m worked the last six years on the Neumann’s. Adding the sub to rhe 310 and correct the phase wirh MA1 was the best decision IMO. Give it a try some day.

Quote:
I've been producing on a pair of 8351A during a month. Me and my mates were really happy with how the tracks were sounding and we were ready to send them to the company. I brought to my studio the kh 310 again and we tested the songs on them just for curiosity. I must say it was a huge wtf in all of us. We couldn't believe what we were hearing, seriously. The songs sounded like crap, like poor demos, can't find words to describe the feeling. The lows sounded blurry, totally undefined and really boomy, the dynamics were out of control. I've had the same experience I had two years ago when I had the chance to work on them. I've remade the mixes on the kh 310 and they sound great on all other systems.

I'm keeping the kh 310, these are the best mix tool I have found, better than any other I've had the chance to use. Must say they are not fun at all, these are just that, amazing mixing tools.

God knows I tried, xD, but for me the Genelec story has finally ended. In my opinion, they lie like crazy.
Old 21st September 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I was picking between the Neumann, Focal, and Barefoot. And between sizes in each line. I went with Focal Twin6Be because I have a mid sized room, and because my focus is tracking, not mixing. Need excitement for tracking. Boring is for mixing and mastering, not tracking. IMHO
Old 21st September 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaoka86 ➡️
Go and get the kh750 with MA1 for your kh310. I’m worked the last six years on the Neumann’s. Adding the sub to rhe 310 and correct the phase wirh MA1 was the best decision IMO. Give it a try some day.
Yes, I'm getting a pair of kh 750.

Thanks for your help!
Old 26th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I’ve been using the ex machina quasars for about a month or so now. Let me. Start by saying that I was at a shoot out a vintage king. We listened to everything from the atc 25’s a45’s d&d 8c, barefoot mm26 and 27’s and a few other brands I can’t remember. The 2 stand outs were the barefoot mm26’s and the ex machina quasars by a long shot.

The main difference between the ex machina quasars and the mm26 was that the quasars sounded like they had a slight shelving eq 0n them. I ended up with the quasars and my friend ended up with the 26’s. We both hated the atc 45’s.

Everyone who has been in my room since is amazed by the sound and the wide sweet sweet spot. The low end is glorious and I’m hearing thins in recordings that I never knew where there. For example in radioheads 13steps, the is a pitched sub kick that is moving by something like a minor 3rd or perfect 4th (I don’t remember) that I didn’t know was there. Also, I am able to really hear how certain plugins affect the audio just by instantiating them. I’m making different choices now. Also for the first time I can hear what the maag eq plug-in at 40khz is actually doing. 1 or 2db eq moves are very apparent on these.

My only issue is that it is still a bit easier for me to dial in the punch of a kick on the Ns 10’s but in all fairness I’ve been using Ns 10’s since the 90’s so I’m not sure it fair to compare to something I’ve been using for 25 years…

My room is relatively small so I can’t use them in full calibration mode but the low end remains…regardless of low end. They are pretty amazing.

Ej
Old 27th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
At 16 yrs old I started tracking/mixing in my Dad’s studio on JBL 4320’s powered by a pair of McIntosh MC75 monoblocks, when I was 18 I moved into the mastering room working on a pair of Westlake TM1’s (one of the 1st six, hand-built original pairs) powered by Crown amps.

I’m over 60 now and setup a small mix rig with a pair of original Bowers & Wilkins DM603 S2’s powered by bridged pairs of a McIntosh MC7600 (325W/ch into 8 ohms) and a pair of no-name 4-ohm, 15” ported subs powered by a Hafler P7000 “Diablo” amp (500W/ch into 4-ohms) crossed over at 150Hz. These are in more of a mid-field setup around a base D-Command with an Avid Omni as my D/A. Most detailed monitor environment I’ve ever heard, I hear things in mixes and on CDs I’ve never noticed before. Doubt seriously if I have more than $2.5K in these total as all components were 2nd hand but in exceptional shape when I bought them. I also have a pair of Dynaudio BM5 Mk III for nearfields which I really like. Quality doesn’t have to cost a ton, but be open minded to listen and experiment if need be.

Last edited by Sugarnutz; 27th September 2022 at 11:20 PM..
📝 Reply