The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do I NEED a Bricasti???
Old 1st February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey ➡️
Yes, it will “jump” to wherever you left the session.

-Casey
Amazing. Thanks Casey! Been wanting one for 10 years now... it was finally time.
Old 3rd February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD ➡️
I just ordered my Bricasti and will get the M7 Link plugin. For those who are using it, can you tell me whether the Bricasti will 'jump' to the settings in the plug-in when a Pro Tools session is open? Or is there some sort of 'bump' button in the plugin to spit out all the settings that the plug-in is set to?

Just trying to figure out whether I can open a PT session, hit play, and the M7 will sound the same as it did when I closed it previously.
M7 Link automatically recalls the Bricasti with every session that it’s on via MIDI control, so it sends all the recall info without you having to touch a thing. It works flawlessly. You can pretty much leave your M7 in the machine room and never touch it again. M7 Link functions just like a regular plugin would, except the only difference is that the plugin is only a controller, so the audio passes straight through it untouched and you use a hardware insert in the chain to get the audio to the Bricasti hardware for processing. M7 Link also allows for tempo synced predelays, A/Bing between two presets, and full Pro Tools automation of every parameter. It’s an absolute godsend. Interfacing the M7 with an ITB workflow is absolutely seamless too- with M7 Link it feels just like you’re using the greatest reverb plugin ever made.
Old 6th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
This is just awesome. I got my M7 this morning and have it all hooked up. It sounds sublime. Haven't bought the plug-in yet but functionally that sounds like it's exactly what fits my needs. Thanks for the detail.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek ➡️
Get Lexicon PCM plugins and save lot money. You will get the same or even better sounding reverbs and other effects, you will not be limited to 2 ch HW, you will not hear the fans and you will have much easier applications of reverbs on the tracks (no rendering etc. needed).

I used to have Bricasti long time ago and was happy to replace it by Lexicon PCM bundle (with its more spacey, dreamy and poetic reverbs - when needed Big upgrade it was Happy up till now ...
Or just get Liquidsonics Seventh Heaven which sounds 97% like M7 if you're after that sound...
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm having trouble getting the M7 to recognise the messages. I'm seeing the 'OUT' LED blink on my MIDI interface when I make a change in the plug-in, but the M7 doesn't alter. I can't make the M7 show the Link ID Message either. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Deleted fe72b38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000 ➡️
Or just get Liquidsonics Seventh Heaven which sounds 97% like M7 if you're after that sound...
Mmmh, seems really nice.

Is that an official Bricasti affiliated plugin?

Is it really 97% of the sound?
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek ➡️
Get Lexicon PCM plugins and save lot money. You will get the same or even better sounding reverbs and other effects, you will not be limited to 2 ch HW, you will not hear the fans and you will have much easier applications of reverbs on the tracks (no rendering etc. needed).

I used to have Bricasti long time ago and was happy to replace it by Lexicon PCM bundle (with its more spacey, dreamy and poetic reverbs - when needed Big upgrade it was Happy up till now ...

I don't know Yvo, you have proven to have detailed hearing and a refined taste, but I have been using the Lexicon bundle for years and don't think it holds a candle to the M7. But it probably depends on what you are after. The PCM bundle IMHO is good for lush reverbs with a poppy kind of color. I quite like the vintage plate instance in that regard. Never cared much for the hall, but that is a matter of taste. What I always struggle with (pcm bundle) is to get it to sound half decent on percussive sources. I'm not talking about heavily processed parallel compressed drums where of course you can get it to work, but let's say handclaps, just sound crappy and cheap to me on Lexicon plugins. Phoenix verb or even Soundtoys little plate with a bit of predelay give me better results. But on that sort of material, Bricasti has loads of presets that really work and sound very natural.

Nevertheless, you are not alone in your opinion, I know other people who just swear by 'the lexicon sound' and consider that to be a more natural sounding reverb. Probably also has to do with the music we are exposed to in certain periods of our lives.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor ➡️
Mmmh, seems really nice.

Is that an official Bricasti affiliated plugin?

As far as I know Casey from Bricasti endorsed it...

It's best if you can compare it to hardware yourself. I'm sure some people will say it can't possibly sound like hardware because processing power etc. but in reality when we blind tested it they sounded practically the same. Some people just like the tactility and that's absolutely fine...

There are other reverbs I prefer to M7 so I don't use that anymore...but plugin is a cheap and great way to get that sound.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pindos ➡️

Nevertheless, you are not alone in your opinion, I know other people who just swear by 'the lexicon sound' and consider that to be a more natural sounding reverb. Probably also has to do with the music we are exposed to in certain periods of our lives.
I've never been particularly hung up on any one particular reverb sound...though some people have sad that the Lexicon verbs are more "FX-ish" while the Bricasti and even the TC verbs are more like accurate room sims....or something like that...I don't want to say that in any negative way about the Lex stuff.

I really like some of the lushness of the Lex stuff...really great...but when doing final mixes, etc...I prefer the accuracy/clarity of the Bricasti and even some of the verbs in the TC 4000 unit.
So yeah...I guess it comes down to what/how you use them...and of course, your reverb tastes.
Deleted fe72b38
Quote:

It's best if you can compare it to hardware yourself. I'm sure some people will say it can't possibly sound like hardware because processing power etc. but in reality when we blind tested it they sounded practically the same. Some people just like the tactility and that's absolutely fine...

There are other reverbs I prefer to M7 so I don't use that anymore...but plugin is a cheap and great way to get that sound.
Cool - thanks.

I did demo a hardware M7 and it wasn't for me and my style of music but I did love the London Plate patch.

Does the plugin have London Plate patch?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm having trouble getting the M7 to recognise the messages. I'm seeing the 'OUT' LED blink on my MIDI interface when I make a change in the plug-in, but the M7 doesn't alter. I can't make the M7 show the Link ID Message either. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
If your M7 is a V2, it may just be the cabling or perhaps the midi interface compatibility. There is nothing that you need to adjust on the M7.

-Casey
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Cool - thanks.

I did demo a hardware M7 and it wasn't for me and my style of music but I did love the London Plate patch.

Does the plugin have London Plate patch?
Professional version includes all patches from hardware iirc.
Deleted fe72b38
Quote:
Professional version includes all patches from hardware iirc.
Great, thanks.
Lives for gear
I have a question. I always liked Lexicon reverbs, not because they sound real, but because they sound cool. Can you guys post some songs that have been on the radio that used a Bricasti as the main revereb?
Old 7th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon ➡️
I have a question. I always liked Lexicon reverbs, not because they sound real, but because they sound cool. Can you guys post some songs that have been on the radio that used a Bricasti as the main revereb?
Listen to Chris Botti sound, Bricasti is on his trumpet all the time.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by temnov ➡️
Listen to Chris Botti sound, Bricasti is on his trumpet all the time.
Thank you for that. There is a LOT of reverb but you don't "hear" it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It’s most likely your MIDI interface… I think there are a few that are known to cause problems. Does the “Tap” light on the Bricasti light up when you’re adjusting the parameters on the plugin? That should light up whenever the M7 is receiving MIDI data. Also you should hear the relays click inside the M7 when it first detects MIDI. Also I’ve found that the most convenient way to hook up the Bricasti is with a cheap little 1x1 MIDI usb interface like the Roland UM ONE… it cost me like $30. It always works and you don’t have to worry about setting the right MIDI ports/channels… it’s totally plug and play; no setup required (except installing the drivers). And the plugin recognizes it every time. It’s basically like you added a USB port to the M7
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Mmmh, seems really nice.

Is that an official Bricasti affiliated plugin?...

Quote:
Literally copied from Seventh Heaven's Presets list and detailed specification:

"This is an unofficial plug-in produced and distributed by LiquidSonics with the express permission of Bricasti Design Ltd. All Bricasti and M7 sample content and
trademarks are copyright Bricasti Design Ltd. All software is copyright LiquidSonics Ltd."
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes, I went over to London expressly to work with Matthew on the SH project. My goal was to see him create the best possible IR set in the market.

I feel that he has succeeded rather nicely!

-Casey
Old 7th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow!!!
Old 8th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
If your M7 is a V2, it may just be the cabling or perhaps the midi interface compatibility. There is nothing that you need to adjust on the M7.

-Casey
Is it possible for the MIDI side of things to fail on these units without anything else being wrong?

I've tried two different MIDI interfaces now (one a brand new one that arrived this morning, identical to the one used in the M7 Link manual). The M7 Link plug-in sees the MIDI interface just fine, and the 'out' light flashes on the interface as I alter settings on the M7 Link plug-in. But the Bricasti hasn't recognised any messages at all (no TAP light illumination).

And yes, V2 unit.
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensDrumming ➡️
It’s most likely your MIDI interface… I think there are a few that are known to cause problems. Does the “Tap” light on the Bricasti light up when you’re adjusting the parameters on the plugin? That should light up whenever the M7 is receiving MIDI data. Also you should hear the relays click inside the M7 when it first detects MIDI. Also I’ve found that the most convenient way to hook up the Bricasti is with a cheap little 1x1 MIDI usb interface like the Roland UM ONE… it cost me like $30. It always works and you don’t have to worry about setting the right MIDI ports/channels… it’s totally plug and play; no setup required (except installing the drivers). And the plugin recognizes it every time. It’s basically like you added a USB port to the M7
Thanks so much for the advice. I've tried two MIDI interfaces now, both of them this 1x1 MIDI/USB type interface. The plug-in recognised them both, and the second one I've tried is the same type as shown in the M7 Link manual. Still the unit won't recognise the incoming MIDI data. The interface is showing activity (the 'out' light blinks when I change settings on the plug-in).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It’s always possible that the M7 midi is broken. I can’t recall seeing that happen, but if you have tried everything else... here is another thing you could try.

If you have access to another M7, you could connect midi out of the second one to the midi in on your M7. Pressing and holding the program button on the second M7 will set your M7 to the settings on the second M7.

The midi communication in this case is identical to the M7-Link plug-in.

-Casey
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
It’s always possible that the M7 midi is broken. I can’t recall seeing that happen, but if you have tried everything else... here is another thing you could try.

If you have access to another M7, you could connect midi out of the second one to the midi in on your M7. Pressing and holding the program button on the second M7 will set your M7 to the settings on the second M7.

The midi communication in this case is identical to the M7-Link plug-in.

-Casey
Thanks so much for getting back to me on here Casey. I'll see if I can find someone else with one near me and give it a go.
Old 12th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted fe72b38 ➡️
No, not even close. Don't believe the hype.. But on the "is the M7 worth the money"... Almost don't dare to say it, but I use the Valhalla stuff more then the M7. The M7 is exceptional quality, but will you hear the difference at -20dB on a vocal track in a mix? It all depends on what genres you're into. If I could do it again, I would spend the €4000 on some high end compressors.
Gear Head

Quote:
but in reality when we blind tested it they sounded practically the same.
Really? Care to share the files?
Old 12th April 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Commercial studios have other considerations beyond pure sonics. It's a competitive market and I fully understand why they need to have a great gear list to attract customers. Will it really make that much of a difference on any particular production, it's possible but that truly depends on the nature of the work being done. Computers are now becoming powerful enough for the CPU hit not to matter as much as it once did.

One thing is certain, if the competition has a Bricasti and you don't, you might lose some business from producers who have not the time or the inclination to to an A/B test. And some might know certain settings on a piece of gear that they must have. If you want to charge top money for your studio you need to have everything a producer with money wants. In that case, you probably need a Bricasti. If you are not a top dollar studio, it's not a matter of need.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks so much for getting back to me on here Casey. I'll see if I can find someone else with one near me and give it a go.
Tony here's a couple more thoughts. The midi line from the computer has to be dedicated for the M7. If you have it on a midi chain with other verbs, synths etc. it's not going to work. Not sure of your DAW or control software, use M7 Link here. You have to set the plugin for the midi port you are using as well. Once that happens it should work fine.

If your OS is Windows and you did a recent Win10 x64 update, the Roland and Mio midi devices can glitch and you will get intermittent communications. You just have delete their instance in the device manager, unplug and plug in the USB line, then let Windows reinstall the driver. After that, I had no problem.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The M7 is not about color or flavor. It's about a realistic space. Perfect for Jazz, orchestral, anything that is plain "in the room" sounding. You don't hear it until it's off, then you go...where is the space?

Rock and Pop are the other end of the spectrum.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum ➡️
(...)Rock and Pop are the other end of the spectrum.
all my gear is agnostic of genre...
📝 Reply