The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neve 1073opx or UAD Apollo x8p
Old 4th September 2020
Here for the gear

Neve 1073opx or UAD Apollo x8p

Does anyone own and have experience with the Neve 1073opx? I had planned on getting an Apollo x8p to expand my inputs to record my drum set. I didn’t know the 1073opx existed until I got a gear review on my recommended list on YT last night. There aren’t a lot of videos out with people using the unit, my main concerns are:

1) How clean does the signal sound when recording (I’m always having a hard time removing “hiss” when recording vocals).

2) How hot can you drive a signal, is there any kind of distortion and if so, does it have a pleasing character or does it sound blan?

I have experience using UAD interfaces so I know what I’m expecting. I had plan on using different kinds of emulated preamps from UAD to record my drum set since that’s one of the advantages of using their equipment. But if the Neve 1073opx is really nice sounding, has a cleaner sounding signal than the UAD interface and can drive the signal with nice distortion, I’ll definitely reconsider my decision!

Also, I plan on getting a flock audio patchbay to connect all my analog gear so I’m hoping it would be easy to connect that along with the 1073opx.
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would be concerned with Neve supporting quality drivers in the long run. UAD is in the market of software, Neve hardware.

I say this because I trusted SSL to support drivers for a long time and they did not becuase they are in the hardware market, not software. So this is not fair, but how I feel.

I bet the Neve sounds much better. but have not used either.

If I wanted 8 channels that high end, I would be looking at burl with the kinds of questions you ask.

I went RME for interface, and have 2 tracks of burl Going AES to RME. Then a bunch of other converters for good channel counts.

Do your homework on MADI, DANTE, AVB protocol before you spend that kind of cash to understand the costs and benefits of each.
Old 9th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassetteboi95 ➡️
Does anyone own and have experience with the Neve 1073opx? I had planned on getting an Apollo x8p to expand my inputs to record my drum set. I didn’t know the 1073opx existed until I got a gear review on my recommended list on YT last night. There aren’t a lot of videos out with people using the unit, my main concerns are:

1) How clean does the signal sound when recording (I’m always having a hard time removing “hiss” when recording vocals).

2) How hot can you drive a signal, is there any kind of distortion and if so, does it have a pleasing character or does it sound blan?

I have experience using UAD interfaces so I know what I’m expecting. I had plan on using different kinds of emulated preamps from UAD to record my drum set since that’s one of the advantages of using their equipment. But if the Neve 1073opx is really nice sounding, has a cleaner sounding signal than the UAD interface and can drive the signal with nice distortion, I’ll definitely reconsider my decision!

Also, I plan on getting a flock audio patchbay to connect all my analog gear so I’m hoping it would be easy to connect that along with the 1073opx.
Hi,

Joe Heaton from Neve here, I can offer a subjective opinion on the 1073OPX's sound quality on this forum, but it would only be misconstrued as bias since I work for the company.

I can, however, put you in touch with some of our 1073OPX users so that they could give you their opinion on its sound and functionality.

Please send me a direct message here and I will send you my Neve email address to discuss further.

Cheers
JH
Old 9th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Hi, Joe! Do you have any plans to release horizontal 1-channel power rack for 1073/1084 reissue module in the near future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaton.joe ➡️
Hi,

Joe Heaton from Neve here, I can offer a subjective opinion on the 1073OPX's sound quality on this forum, but it would only be misconstrued as bias since I work for the company.

I can, however, put you in touch with some of our 1073OPX users so that they could give you their opinion on its sound and functionality.

Please send me a direct message here and I will send you my Neve email address to discuss further.

Cheers
JH
Old 9th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum ➡️
I would be concerned with Neve supporting quality drivers in the long run. UAD is in the market of software, Neve hardware.

I say this because I trusted SSL to support drivers for a long time and they did not becuase they are in the hardware market, not software. So this is not fair, but how I feel.

I bet the Neve sounds much better. but have not used either.

If I wanted 8 channels that high end, I would be looking at burl with the kinds of questions you ask.

I went RME for interface, and have 2 tracks of burl Going AES to RME. Then a bunch of other converters for good channel counts.

Do your homework on MADI, DANTE, AVB protocol before you spend that kind of cash to understand the costs and benefits of each.
I’m not sure which period of SSL you’re talking about regarding the hardware/software comment but just to throw out there that these days not only do SSL manufacture digital consoles for both the live and broadcast worlds and also their own plugins, but that SSL is actually owned by thebAudiotonix group which also owns Digico, Allen and Heath and Calrec so that’s a whole bunch of software development resources that they are able to access.

Not trying to disagree with your experience but just thought I’d throw that out there as a bit of punditry for future food for thought....
Old 10th September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky Squad ➡️
Hi, Joe! Do you have any plans to release horizontal 1-channel power rack for 1073/1084 reissue module in the near future?
Hi,

Are you referring to the 1073/1084 classic units?

Our 1073N works as a standalone module with external PSU and metal housing for Horizontal desktop use - https://www.ams-neve.com/1073n-25-p.asp

For the 1084/1073 classic, we manufacture both 2 module stereo racks - https://www.ams-neve.com/1073-1084-c...empty-86-p.asp

And 8 module vertical racks - https://www.ams-neve.com/1073-108422...-rack-87-p.asp

At the moment we do not have any plans to manufacture a single module rack for our classic units, but our R&D team are continually developing our product range so there is always a possibility of future rack options.
Old 23rd September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi,

Our 1073N works as a standalone module with external PSU and metal housing for Horizontal desktop use - https://www.ams-neve.com/1073n-25-p.asp

For the 1084/1073 classic, we manufacture both 2 module stereo racks - https://www.ams-neve.com/1073-1084-c...empty-86-p.asp

And 8 module vertical racks - https://www.ams-neve.com/1073-108422...-rack-87-p.asp

At the moment we do not have any plans to manufacture a single module rack for our classic units, but our R&D team are continually developing our product range so there is always a possibility of future rack options.
Is there a sonic difference between the 1073N and the 1073SPX? I'd like to get a 1073 within a few weeks with the EQ
Old 24th September 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Love the neve opx,having coming in to line inputs of my Api console,sound killer,very happy
Old 5th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBuster ➡️
Is there a sonic difference between the 1073N and the 1073SPX? I'd like to get a 1073 within a few weeks with the EQ
Hi,

Unfortunately, I cannot offer any subjective opinions on sonic differences between our products. Both units are produced in-house at our UK factory and use our original components including Marinair specification transformers on the Input and Output stages.

The 1073N is a true to classic form factor 80-series module, with an added DI circuit, standalone use, and remote output control for console use.

The 1073SPX is 19" rack format with output trim, insert send/return loop metering, and front/rear connections.

If you could send me your email address, I can send you an in-depth buyers guide chart.

Cheers
JH
Old 12th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the info. We hope that in the near future you will release power rack for 1 1084/1073 classic module.
📝 Reply