The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New gear Millennia STT-1 with u87ai or KMS105?
Old 27th May 2020
Deleted 5f4684d
I wish I still had the kms105 to show the difference between that mic and the u87ai. I find the kms105 picks up less room, it does require a stand to record and pop filter because of the rumble while holding it. It does sound similar but for sure, the u87ai has better mids and is cleaner sibilance wise. It reminds me of a better sm7b with better more polished high end, but also double the price. You can definitely record good vocals with the kms105. Also sounds good on acoustic guitar on the 12th fret.

I dont think you need a full channel strip, if you get 2 grace m101 pres with a Wa76 for vocals, you'd be really happy, and you can use the kms105 on your guitar and use a tlm107 on vocals, which I find has more option and is very clean sounding compared to the u87ai with the transformer.

I also think you should look into any Neve pres even if you're doing classical guitar music, you could get the dual channel wa-73 to record. I usually choose the u87ai with a Neve pre for classical guitar or acoustic, to get some juice in the recording.

Another option for your guitar would be the earthworks mics or the neumann sdc. I dont really know what the scale of your project is, but it seems to me like you just want to record the vocals and guitar properly, and so you dont need a crazy setup, minimal is better in this case.
Old 27th May 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kludgeaudio ➡️
Okay.. so live, you are playing acoustic guitar with a pickup and an amp, and a KMS105 on vocals.

The KMS105 and U87 sound very similar on-axis. There are a lot of tricks you can play with the U87 that won't work with the KMS105. But the KMS105 is actually a remarkably good studio microphone.

If I were you, looking for something for the studio, I would look at getting a more flat, less forward sounding microphone for the guitar and keeping the KMS105 for the vocal for the time being. I don't think the U87 will be a huge improvement on the vocal and you are still needing some way to record your guitar.
--scott
Ok, i will tell you next week what will goes on cos my ear is the judge when it comes to sound comparisons it’s ok reading what the good people saying and telling there own experience but my ear has the last word.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino.Lacroix ➡️
Ok, i will tell you next week what will goes on cos my ear is the judge when it comes to sound comparisons it’s ok reading what the good people saying and telling there own experience but my ear has the last word.
Do it. Go outside so there are no room effects to worry about. Record yourself into both microphones at
the same distance with the U87 set to cardioid, and get someone to play back the two samples for you without telling you which is which. Try and match the levels between them as well as you can.

While you have the U87, try recording your guitar with both the U87 and the KMS105. I would not recommend either one for the guitar because they will produce a "big" sound that may sound great alone but might not fit with the vocal. But try them just to see for yourself!
--scott
Deleted fe72b38
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick ➡️
I own a RP500 as well. It's a wonderful preamp for ribbons, with simple EQ that's specifically tailored for controlling proximity effect and bringing up the highs.

The HV-3 design is by Millennia founder John La Grou. He wrung out the design details while making recordings of a California regional symphony orchestra. (John is one of those people who listens to resistors.) It really does get the timbre and transient response exactly right on a wide variety of instruments. Used "up close" it can sometimes be a bit too revealing, especially if you're not dealing with top-flight musicians, so I sometimes carry a Juggernaut in the rack for use on spot mics.

The Juggernaut was designed by Tim Farrant (Buzz Audio), with APA owner Nathan Eldred providing guidance on voicing and features. It can go from fairly clean to fairly colored with a few quick adjustments, has a nice high-Z DI input, plus a line input for processing previously-tracked material.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Right interesting, I think Tim's a great designer too - I love his Essence 500 series compressor.

I love these boutique designers like Tim F, Fred F, Dave Hill and a few others.

I'm inspired to create using their creations - I think we all share the same goals and visions in art.

Last edited by Deleted fe72b38; 27th May 2020 at 10:02 PM..
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kludgeaudio ➡️
Do it. Go outside so there are no room effects to worry about. Record yourself into both microphones at
the same distance with the U87 set to cardioid, and get someone to play back the two samples for you without telling you which is which. Try and match the levels between them as well as you can.

While you have the U87, try recording your guitar with both the U87 and the KMS105. I would not recommend either one for the guitar because they will produce a "big" sound that may sound great alone but might not fit with the vocal. But try them just to see for yourself!
--scott
I’ve noticed that thank you
Old 29th June 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwash ➡️
Does the cheaper Millennia HV-32P / HV-35P sound as clean as the HV-3? I suppose that would be too much to hope for.
I own and use an HV-32P (spoken word only). It is very clean right up to the end of it's gain range.

There is gain bunching at the top end though and the pots are variable not stepped, which may make matching the two channels more challenging.

The controls are small but then again the 32P is the size of a large hardback book! You get a lot of portable bang for the buck.

As for Millennia in general - their support and customer service is excellent. One support call placed, John La Grou responded and resolved. Can't say fairer than that.
📝 Reply