Quantcast
U67 vs Flea 47 vs Wunder CM7 GS - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
U67 vs Flea 47 vs Wunder CM7 GS
View Poll Results: Which mic do you like best?
U67
27 Votes - 50.00%
Flea 47
10 Votes - 18.52%
Wunder CM7
17 Votes - 31.48%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor ➡️
I’ll have to check that!

How can the Retro STA Level flip the phase as it’s a simple mono in/ mono out unit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger ➡️
If the hot and cold are backwards on the outs/XLR’s/leads. Try a different lead or otherwise you’ll have to pop the lid and do minor surgery with an iron. Most likely lead surely.
Thanks for the suggestion! That would definitely make more sense. I'll check it out.
Old 28th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc ➡️
Thanks for this great feedback.

I've attached all the other clips! And also a clip of the CM7 through my Retro STA Level because it sounds monstrous. Lol. And I think it helps a bit with the thinning that some people mention.

Speaking of which, I should mention that there were no pop filters on any of the mics. I tried to work the proximity effect for the verse section, and then pulled back to about 1 foot away when it goes into the pre-chorus (the louder part). But I'm not sure how consistent I was with my distances.

Interesting... Knowing that the CM7-GS works for my voice, would it be fair to assume that the EF14 version would probably suit me too?

Thanks for the feedback - I'm really digging the Wunder's vibe too. More so than the vintage 47 I tried two years ago. I definitely love my 67RI (this was VK's demo unit, not mine), and it almost never sounds bad on anything. But I feel like the Wunder does a great job of smoothing potentially jabby/hard frequencies in the 3-4kHz range while retaining detail and air. I think I'd definitely be covering a lot of sonic ground with both of them.

My pleasure!

Hey thank you!!

I adore my 67 Reissue, and if I get a 47-type I can totally see myself using them both for different vocals. The 67 generally gives a natural, flattering reproduction of whatever is put in front of it. I agree about the CM7 having that record vibe, which I love. I was really hoping to love the Flea, but it has much less detail than expected!

Thanks Chris!! Hope you've been doing well.
Appreciate the other suggestions too!

Thanks!! My pleasure. I'll look into putting these into a shareable link too.
I'm considering some of these same mics, and your post helped me decide. I like the Wunder better on your voice than any of the others. It has a focus and body that the others seem to lack. These are subtle differences though, and any of the mics would be great honestly.
Old 28th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by troxelj ➡️
I'm considering some of these same mics, and your post helped me decide. I like the Wunder better on your voice than any of the others. It has a focus and body that the others seem to lack. These are subtle differences though, and any of the mics would be great honestly.
I'm happy to hear my post was of help to you!

I'm still absolutely loving the Wunder a year later. I actually used it with a BAE 1073 for all the lead vocals for my next album (I'll try to remember to post a sample when I can). It pairs wonderfully with my Retro STA-Level.

These are all great mics. My impression was that the Wunder was just a little more interesting/revealing in the mids for my voice than the Flea, but a little more interesting than the 67. I felt like it was an excellent middle-ground of 47-ish thickness with the kind of sweetness and presence in the top that I love with the 67 (but possibly with a little more 'vibe' and attitude).

That said, I love my 67RI too; I find it tends to 'just work' on other peoples' voices (male and female) more often that the Wunder, actually, because of how neutral and detailed it is. I think with some quieter vocalists the CM7 can sound smaller, where the 67 brings out a little more air.

But for my voice (and I'm often rather dynamic), it just feels 'right' to sing through. I find that it's a bit smoother in the 2.5k-4k area and stays pillowy when I belt at it (than a 67/87 capsule), but still sounds huge and revealing for softer songs, and has the right vibe/sounds like a record without needing much tweaking.

I've never had it sound 'wrong' for any track for my voice yet, and it always at least feels like a good starting point. I'm mixing these new tracks at the moment, and I'm mostly just doing a lot of manual level riding, some light STA Level compression, and then pulling out a tiny bit around 600Hz and boosting with a Pultec at 16k (just to add a little extra sparkle). So it has been very easy to work with.

I wish you all the best with your mic search! It definitely helps a lot to try out a few. Let us know how things go.

Cheers,
Dan
Old 5th May 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Good to read all these great and varying opinions. I'm a fan of U67's and 47's in general. Thought I would just share my experience. I have tried the Wunder CM7S, didn't think it was anything like a vintage U47. Has it's own thing going on, but to my ears, nothing like a 47 and I have recorded a bunch over many years and I am very familiar with the sound.
I did try a CM7 many years back (the original one) and that was closer to a 47, but the new, supposedly "better" Suprema thing, ain't all that supreme to my ears. As always, just my 2c.
Old 5th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd be keen to have a Golden Age 47 compared to the Wunder
Old 5th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➡️
I'd be keen to have a Golden Age 47 compared to the Wunder
I tried both on my YT channel. Not the same session though..

I might be able to do an a/b later this year
Old 5th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Crille, liked your review VM and your channel.

Keep it up
Wiggy
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
A quick question... was the 251 in this series of mic tests a vintage 251 or the telefunken USA 251? It sounds phenomenal, and I think it the winner hands down in isolation, but I've definitely come to appreciate the heft and eq-ability of neumann mics... I think I'll always be a 251 guy though. I sold my tele usa 251 to finance a vintage c24, and I'm debating now whether to buy another 251 because I still miss it. Also fully convinced I'll end up with a pair of 67 reiussues at some point too. Eternal gas
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen ➡️
I tried both on my YT channel. Not the same session though..

I might be able to do an a/b later this year
Your vintage 47 vs CM7 Suprema video was awesome. That Suprema sounded phenomenal. That video made me send my CM7 to Mike last week for the upgrade.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk ➡️
Your vintage 47 vs CM7 Suprema video was awesome. That Suprema sounded phenomenal. That video made me send my CM7 to Mike last week for the upgrade.

Thanks! Yeah the Wunder is great
📝 Reply