The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
thoughts on neumann U89
Old 1st October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian20 ➡️
I wonder if the u89 self noise of 17 is a problem? sounds like a whole lot .. thooughts please?

deciding between tlm193 and u89i .... i like darker to neutral mics, not interested in the u87
I really like my tlm193, you will not be dissapointed if you are looking for a low noise neutral mic.
Old 1st October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Never a problem with self noise with the U89. 17dB is not a high self noise. U89 is the premier mic made today by Neumann. One of the very few with traditional craftsmanship.
Old 1st October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, all of the capsules have computerized drilling of the backplates now, that are then touched up. Whereas the old route was to hand drill all of that.

And some actual newer models will use SMD.

The 87 is still constructed similar to an 89. And of course the U87Ai version that came out in 1986 had the U89 phantom power circuit added to it so it performs more stably across various preamps.
Old 1st October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, 17dB is not a big deal, it’s around the self noise of a 451. You will likely have to crank up a signal well past clipping before beginning to hear the noise floor of a U89.
Old 8th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Does anybody use this mic on 90 degrees (tip) and put some level up.
My thoughts on this mic. On the bass section it sounds a little strange. It’s an oké mic. I like the u87ai beter.

Last edited by QueenSisi; 8th December 2021 at 10:46 AM..
Old 8th December 2021

🎧 15 years
Interesting reading some of the early comments in this thread.

I've got an 89, and access to 170s, a vintage 87 and 67s, as well as other things like the 149.

I've always felt the 170 was fairly neutral, maybe erring on the dark side, the 89 it's slightly more hi-fi cousin, the 67 more mellow and maybe flattering (but possibly not as detailed in the highs), and the 87 similar with a little more brightness.

Interesting to learn the 170 and 89 have the same capsule. Something I'd never bothered to look into before.

It's a great all rounder for sure - probably better than a modern 87 in that respect. A pair of 89s or 170s, and there's not much you can't mic up.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️

It's a great all rounder for sure - probably better than a modern 87 in that respect. A pair of 89s or 170s, and there's not much you can't mic up.
“Probably better” hehe
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
It's a great all rounder for sure - probably better than a modern 87 in that respect.
Around here these days, the animation studios almost always want an 87 (of any sort) up close and another one further back. I'm on the phone with a guy booking a session and I say, "I don't have 2 87s but I can borrow an 89, otherwise it's $50 for a rental." He says, "89? Never heard of it. You have a 103?"
Old 9th December 2021 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
Around here these days, the animation studios almost always want an 87 (of any sort) up close and another one further back. I'm on the phone with a guy booking a session and I say, "I don't have 2 87s but I can borrow an 89, otherwise it's $50 for a rental." He says, "89? Never heard of it. You have a 103?"
Eeeew.

But you knew that already
Old 9th December 2021
87's are a popular choice in voice over studios. I like them for talking books, a forgiving sound.

The 89 capsule is special. A unique 3/4" design without that center screw connection the 1" have. It has a deeper low end because the center isn't damped like the 1" is. It's like a 3/4" AKG 414 capsule. It also is rather low noise. I put one into a modified MCA SP-1 for Ty Ford, it was way quieter than any Neumann mic.
Old 9th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
He says, "89? Never heard of it. You have a 103?"
That's like offering a silver faced Super Reverb and having someone ask for a PV Bandit instead. (hey, you're allowed to like it jus saying it isn't in the same class as a Super Reverb IMHO)

And EWWW is right, @ Psycho_monkey!
📝 Reply