The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EMT 140 after years of use i need to overwork
Old 2nd February 2020
Here for the gear

EMT 140 after years of use i need to overwork

Hey Folks

i got an EMT 140 ST with a V54 i bought them worked over from the HE STUDIO TECHNIK Munic
the EMT had a remote on it

wehn i heard them the first time i was crying a river because i liked that warm and so full and deep sound from tiny house to large Cave
and i can say after reading today i totaly understand that the noise level is for some people out there a Problem .... i run the Philophon Label from the technical Side and a little bit humm and hissling i never thought a lot because you can do restauration ... and i have to say ...

my plate is in some points noisy and hummy but only if you do crazy gain afterwards.... because wehn the gain is so noisy the input is way to low so i found out if i hit the plate with a good level i can just smile that people say the SS version is way better .. because that Reverb is realy impressive and i think i know a lot of analog Reverbs ... but as i read its not about the elektronik its maybe about the Metall and how they get tuned ...

(one side sentence--- a lot of visitors told me my plate sounds impressive rich and 3 D

My Plate they put out of a Storage hall she stands there 20 Years ... with no amp inside .... so i just bought the fixed Tube amp and put it back in the plate and it worked from the first time

after 7 years the left side stopd workin some Month ago i found out its just the tubes in the Amp if i put the tubes from r side the left side worked and the ride side makes the misstake ... so i have to change the EF 804 S

Now i stoped my work and i build a new Studio in Berlin and with that building i need a lot of work and also put that work in my equipment its getting broken by the Years ...

So after that long intro my Qestions

what happend to the side platereverb.com ... wehn i found that side i was thinking yes al the haters who told me they never want to buy an emt 140 because there is no spare parts anymore they was wrong

is there anybody who knows the technik from the emt 140 raly well and can help me to tune and just fix it ..

also i have to repair the damper inside... the little aluminium blocks fall away from the thick-damper-paper-wall

also the remote motor makes some problems sometimes the motor just stoped and runs in the emptyness after this the damper moved again but its now in a wrong position ...so the motor stoped his work because he thinks the plate is fully damped but its noT

what would i give for to speak about this with a guy in German who knows that stuff ..

is there an option to put anoter amp inside and make a switch so i can use TUBE AND SS also i was thinking puting some other Coils on the plate ....
to maybe get an other sound and make a switching solution so i can switch between the diffrent plate sounds without having an other plate

and guys 4 some couriosity .... i came from the Black Forrest an little Village calles Biberach Baden near a Mountain called "Schönberg"

wehn i get my EMT Plate i read the Sign on the Plate there Stands ....
NACHHALLERZEUGUNGSGERÄT EMT FRANZ KG LAHR SCHWARZWALD

after i read this i freaked out ...

thats the neighborhood village over the Schönberg from my hometowm ... i had there my rehearsall room from the Band i grew up their ... and i diddnt know that ...
5 h later i called the guys they told me if i called them 1 year before there was a 32 chanel fully loaded EMT WERKSSTUDIO -- with all the emt gear they ever build ... and they even throw it nearly away ----

we try to build our own recording studio in LAHR with Behringer Rubbish ... if someone told us the story from the EMT i swear by God i would be today the owner from that Equipment !!

and last story they cant give me some Names from guys who realy know the 140 .... they keep me asking what i want with that old ****t )

greetings and thanks for reading my bad english
Old 2nd February 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Emt 140

Greetings.

a healthy tube 140 is not noisy. the noise thing is a myth.

needs good EF804s tubes, make sure the front noise controls are adjusted.

power supply components go bad;
upgraded parts can be mounted on a board mounted on the rear of the V54.

there is an electrolytic screen bypass capacitor that should be replaced with film type.

the ceramic pickups are often blamed for low output.
in my experience, very reliable and are part of the sound.
those little piezo things that techies stick on the plate sound cheap.

make sure the driver coil is centered. use the centering disk;
if lost, ask around, and they can be fabricated.

do not follow EMT instructions as to driver and pickup levels,
turn them both full up (clockwise).

best wishes. nothing quite like the sound of a 140.

Last edited by cathode; 10th March 2020 at 12:40 AM..
Old 7th April 2020
Here for the gear

Hello Folks hope you all Doing good ... i realy need one information WHO WAS THE GUY OR GIRL THEY DID ---- WWW.PLATEREVERB.COM
i guess that Guy could help me alot finding inforamtion about how to service and tune my Plate ---- or maybe someone is reading this and know some guy here in Germany ... greetings Benjamin
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

please LORD GIVE ME SOME MERCY OR BETTER NACHHALLERZEUGUNGSGERÄT
📝 Reply