The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
U87 "inner tube" Tube mod
Old 27th October 2002
  #1
Lives for gear
 
e-cue's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
U87 "inner tube" Tube mod

Has anyone used the U87 with the "Inner tube" tube modification? How does it stack to to a U47 tube/ 67? I remember it costing around $2,000 just for the mod but is it worth it???
Old 27th October 2002
  #2
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I've tried it, thought it sounded quite good... but was it's own unique sound... it wasn't a copy of anything, it was it's own unit.

Sounds rather pleasant... but it's not an 'inexpensive method' to get yourself a U-67 or anything like that.

Best of luck.
Old 28th October 2002
  #3
Gear Head
 
kushan_ku's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
e-cue,
Who is (or who are you looking at for) doing your mod?

A guy that worked on mine does them near Nashville. I was thinking of doing it too...or selling it. I've got a vintage circa 1975-1979 U87 that needs some new life.
Old 28th October 2002
  #4
VIP
 
mwagener's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by kushan_ku
A guy that worked on mine does them near Nashville. I was thinking of doing it too...or selling it. I've got a vintage circa 1975-1979 U87 that needs some new life.
Mine too, who was the guy near Nashville and how good was the mod?
Old 28th October 2002
  #5
Lives for gear
 
e-cue's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by kushan_ku
e-cue,
Who is (or who are you looking at for) doing your mod?

A guy that worked on mine does them near Nashville. I was thinking of doing it too...or selling it. I've got a vintage circa 1975-1979 U87 that needs some new life.
The "inner tube" mod was a simple mod where you screwed open your mic, took up the solid state guts, and replaced them with tube components. Supossedly, anyone could do it.
Old 28th October 2002
  #6
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener
Mine too, who was the guy near Nashville and how good was the mod?
I would hazard a guess that it's Fred Cameron... it might be another guy that lives near Nashville... but I tend to avoid that guy's work. If it is Fred... he does excellent work, just don't be in a hurry to get the unit back.

FWIW, if your '87 is a 'late 70's vintage'... you may be having a capsule problem rather than an amplifier problem [though without actually hearing, touching, smelling the mic it's pretty difficult to say from where I'm sitting].

Best of luck with it.
Old 28th October 2002
  #7
VIP
 
mwagener's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Thanx Fletcher, I'll try to find Fred Cameron. The U87 actually sounds "fine" but not very exciting or special, so I thought it could use a little spice. The problem is, if it costs close to $ 3,000 to make it sound great, I'd rather buy another E-47 or the new i-47 (when it comes out).
Old 28th October 2002
  #8
Gear Head
 
kushan_ku's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
In fact, is was Fred Cameron.

Cameron Labs
1004 Everett Drive
Smyrna, TN 37167
615-223-0200

He serviced mine (capsule clean, moisture barrier, Strap for 200 ohm, remove pad, rebuild amplifier, replace batt on roll-off switch)

I spoke to him about the tube mod they do, and it's definetley not a "do it yourself" process. The tube and all is in a separate amp box, not inside the mic..don't try this at home (unless your home is a Neumann mic repair shop) yuktyy

j-ho
Old 28th October 2002
  #9
Lives for gear
 
e-cue's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by kushan_ku
In fact, is was Fred Cameron.


I spoke to him about the tube mod they do, and it's definetley not a "do it yourself" process. The tube and all is in a separate amp box, not inside the mic..don't try this at home (unless your home is a Neumann mic repair shop) yuktyy

j-ho
We are definately taking about different things. I'm talking about a mod kit, and it actually DOES fit inside the body of the mic. Now I'm curious how these two sound differently.

I did some sniffing around and found this on the net:
http://www.gr8music.com/InnerTube_Au...tubeaudio.html

There's also a review by Bobby Owsinski who usually does a good job reviewing stuff.
Old 29th October 2002
  #10
VIP
 
mwagener's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by kushan_ku
In fact, is was Fred Cameron.

Cameron Labs
1004 Everett Drive
Smyrna, TN 37167
615-223-0200

He serviced mine (capsule clean, moisture barrier, Strap for 200 ohm, remove pad, rebuild amplifier, replace batt on roll-off switch)

I spoke to him about the tube mod they do, and it's definetley not a "do it yourself" process. The tube and all is in a separate amp box, not inside the mic..don't try this at home (unless your home is a Neumann mic repair shop) yuktyy

j-ho
Thanx for the info kushan_ku
Old 31st October 2002
  #11
Lives for gear
 
cashewcupcake's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Michael Wagener, what is this i-47 you speak of?
rollz
Old 31st October 2002
  #12
Lives for gear
 
groundcontrol's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Hey Fae, how are you... it's a new mic from Soundelux. It is to the 47fet what the e47 is to the tube 47. But with a twist: it's got a switch to voice it like a 47 ("M"usic) or an 87 ("V"oice). I haven't heard it but am looking forward to try it when it's finally shipping.

Ciao!
Old 31st October 2002
  #13
VIP
 
mwagener's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
Michael Wagener, what is this i-47 you speak of?
rollz
Faeflora

What groundcontrol said and it's supposed to be about half the price of an ELUX 251
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 98 views: 45217
Avatar for nst7
nst7 14th February 2014
replies: 60 views: 17676
Avatar for dibravibra
dibravibra 19th October 2020
replies: 2704 views: 405857
Avatar for Diogo C
Diogo C 30th October 2015
replies: 6281 views: 792424
Avatar for chessparov2.0
chessparov2.0 4 hours ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump