The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reamp Electronics LA-2A
Old 17th May 2019
Reamp Electronics LA-2A

Hello,
Does anybody of you know about REAMP Electronics units? I found this LA-2A style compressor on their website and I was wondering if you have/had some experience regarding this units (see the link below):

https://reamp-electronics.com/worksh...-2a-compressor

They have two options: stock option with Sowter transformer and Kenetek TB4 and upgraded option with UTC transformer and UREI TB4...

They are from London and the price is pretty expensive and I didn't find any reviews yet...

It looks like solid work but some toughts about this unit would be helpful...

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Sebastian
Old 18th May 2019
Deleted fe72b38
Quote:
Originally Posted by morosh ➡️
Hello,
Does anybody of you know about REAMP Electronics units? I found this LA-2A style compressor on their website and I was wondering if you have/had some experience regarding this units (see the link below):

https://reamp-electronics.com/worksh...-2a-compressor

They have two options: stock option with Sowter transformer and Kenetek TB4 and upgraded option with UTC transformer and UREI TB4...

They are from London and the price is pretty expensive and I didn't find any reviews yet...

It looks like solid work but some toughts about this unit would be helpful...

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Sebastian
Great find and post - thank you!!

Finally a boutique point to point wired LA2A made here in my own home town - no import duty, waiting 6 months for delivery or mass produced clones.

This LA2A clone I'm definitely interested in.
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
LOOKS very appealing ... & the price, for what it states, seems very fair. Hope to HEAR ... more about it!
Old 18th May 2019
I talked with the guy who runs this company and he told me they are a relatively new company but he is in the field of building compressors for 15 years now...
Pro Replicas LA-2A seems a good option too, it's a lot more popular than Reamp Electronics! And cheaper! Wondering how this two units are compared...
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
From the look of this it is the full on article and should spank any other copies, especially if you spec original transformers and T4b.......and still not THAT pricey, although out of my reach just now....the only thing that seems to want improving is the knobs. They look like some 80's hifi parts.
Old 18th May 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
the only thing that seems to want improving is the knobs. They look like some 80's hifi parts.
You're right about that!
Old 11th January 2021
Gear Maniac

Anyone tried a unit from this company? Thoughts?
Old 11th January 2021
176 looks damn tasty too
Old 12th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Wonder how it compares to AudioScape or any of the other "Clones" out there.
Old 12th January 2021 | Show parent
Deleted fe72b38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1n28 ➡️
Anyone tried a unit from this company? Thoughts?
I chatted on the phone to him, seemed like a very knowledgable and decent chap.
Old 12th April 2021
Here for the gear

Thanks everyone for your interest in Reamp Electronics.
I have just found out this discussion and thought I’d chime in to answer your queries and provide some insight about the brand.

As many of you know, the majority of modern audio equipment is based on printed circuit boards and a lot of clones are being mass produced in countries where labour is cheap, often using less than average quality components.
The results in terms of sound and reliability are in most cases questionable, especially when comparing to the vintage counterparts.

Reamp Electronics was born out of a completely different philosophy.
Our tube based products are mainly wired point to point and entirely handmade in the UK.
All the components in our units are of very high quality. We use some of the best transformers available on the market, selected tubes, low noise resistors, silver plated wiring,… everything contributes to our only goal which is building a solid and good sounding product.
Making no compromises in parts selection and construction brings unquestionable benefits to sound quality and reliability as well, and we can guarantee our products really are in the same league as the vintage units.

Every unit we make is built to order and we can accommodate customers requests in terms of parts selection (transformer, tubes, etc.) and certain add-ons / modifications.
The looks can also be customized with one-off front panels, different knobs, vu meters,…
We are happy to work towards the customers needs and make products that aren’t just good quality, but also a bit unique.

So far we have received very positive feedback from our customers. We are currently planning to release some demo videos of our units and expanding the product line with more compressors, preamps, equalizers,… Stay tuned for further developments and if in the meantime you have any requests do not hesitate to contact us via our website www.reamp-electronics.com

Best regards

Giacomo Gaiatto
Reamp Electronics
Old 12th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Bongiorno Giacomo, took 2 years to "chime in"? Well, better late than never. Do we have the choice of UREI or Kenetek for the opto? And for tranny, UTC, Sowter or Kenetek?
Old 12th April 2021
Here for the gear

Hi everyone. I have had a Reamp Electronics LA-2A for a few months and couldn't be happier with it.

It was clear from the Reamp website that the build philosophy and components were of the highest quality and the option to include vintage opto and transformers appealed. The price looked to be extremely competitive and having spoken to Giacomo I decided to take a chance on it. I live in Australia.

One of the first things I did was head down to a friend's studio for a shootout with a modern Universal Audio LA-2A. The Reamp was very slightly slower and a whole lot richer, warmer and more natural sounding. My friend went searching for vintage transformers and opto that very night.

It has a gorgeous bottom end response, I was amazed. In short, a way better compressor than the modern Universal Audio and obviously a lot more affordable. I was relieved and very excited to put it to work! Plugins don't come close to either, IMO. When compared on the same source the plugins sound like there is some sort of thin veil hovering over the sound.

Whatever I put through the Reamp comes out sounding like it belongs on a record. I absolutely love the unit and for the LA-2A sound I can't imagine finding anything better for the price. I went for the Urei opto and UTC transformer.

Bravo Giacomo!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Updated the website with two extra transformer options :

Sowter 9062 / 1010 these further improve the performance compared to the Sowter 1449 / 1290 we are also using. extended frequency response and higher low freq headroom

AMI UT-10 / UT-24 these are modern transformers made in the USA designed to match the specs and tone of the original UTC. The initial tests we made are very promising, they measure and sound very good indeed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'd love to hear from other users...would be even better to have some comparisons against other LA-2 clones out there.
📝 Reply