The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Highland Dynamics BG1
Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Highland Dynamics BG1

We have another winner here. I can’t believe Bryce just keeps doing it so well. I did not need another compressor. Then I worked with this one. Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails
Highland Dynamics BG1-9f4803e8-7a99-4af3-ba35-cd83b1e84d46.jpg  
Old 25th April 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I have Highland Dynamics on my wish list for sometime now. Hopefully I'll get one before the summer

Could you please tell us a bit more about how it sounds?
Have you also tried the BG2? BG1 and BG2 have different output stages, I was wondering about the sonic differences.

Thanks
Old 25th April 2019
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Serial #2 owner here :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Highland Dynamics BG1-schermafbeelding-2019-04-25-om-12.17.01.png  
Old 26th April 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Ha but do you have three of them... lol
Attached Thumbnails
Highland Dynamics BG1-3c8b322e-9595-45af-bb9d-a716bd9b35f6.jpg   Highland Dynamics BG1-45313da0-a76d-4415-b48a-7985db5be655.jpg  
Old 28th April 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
how many racks spaces is the bg1
Old 29th April 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mack ➡️
how many racks spaces is the bg1
Three
Old 7th June 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Where do you use it more? How is the sound compared to a BG2 ? ...im very interested but i cant find enough infos about it
Old 29th October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi_kulti ➡️
Where do you use it more? How is the sound compared to a BG2 ? ...im very interested but i cant find enough infos about it
I am very interested as well! Could anyone with experience chime in?
Old 30th October 2019
Old 30th October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks! I've seen the website.

I would be more interested in experiences from the actual use of the unit. What does it shine in? What do you use it for? How is the character? How is the character compared to the BG2 etc.

That would be very appreciated.
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Nut

I’ll try to be more specific with my questions:

- I love the thick tone and the distortion characteristics the BG2 provide. Will the BG1 give me a comparable tone? If not, how do they differ?
- Are the compression characteristics between the BG2 and the BG1 roughly comparable, with the exception of the different attack and release times? Will I be able to achieve a similar compression feeling with the BG1 as with the BG2?
- If you view the BG1 as mono comp, do you feel the two have the same quality?
- Would you use both comps for similar things (for example Voc and Bass)? Or do they have different strenths?

Thank you for any input.

Cheers
Old 1st November 2019
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lots of good questions above. I hope someone can answer them!
Old 2nd November 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Can't find one sample of this unit online, asked if there was a demo unit in the UK, but don't think there is, only the BG2's as far as I know.
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Addict

hi, does this have a sidechain hpf?
Old 18th April 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider ➡️
hi, does this have a sidechain hpf?
Hello! I'm Bryce and I make the BG1 and BG2, yes the BG1 has a side chain high pass filter. Its around 60 Hz or so, it just eases the subs going to the side chain.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie-1 ➡️
Can't find one sample of this unit online, asked if there was a demo unit in the UK, but don't think there is, only the BG2's as far as I know.
I'm working on some video demonstrations for the BG1!
Old 18th April 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thanks for everyone showing interest in the BG1 Stereo and saying nice things about the BG1 and BG2!
A few things about the sound of these and the ideas behind making them.
The BG2 was the compressor I used in the studio for years, back then just a handful of custom ones out there and a few that I used on my sessions. I wanted the ultimate big glue tube compressor, like a BA6A or Gates or all of the things like that. I also was making RS 124's from leftover stuff from John Hinson but that's a whole different story! I loved the BG2 on vocals, in fact you can hear it on all the vocals on the records I did with Jonathan Wilson, and what he uses now, overhead drums, bass, acoustic guitar and all that stuff.
The BG1 Stereo is different, the main thing is the output amp is a 6SN7 instead of 6V6's but the same size output transformer. I think it has a more open sound, I did try and make it for full program mix and I think it does that well. I wanted to make the American feedback more aggressive than in the BG2, so it can do the smooth more hifi EMI feedback in British mode, but it can get real crazy in American. I also wanted it to be faster and slower, so the attack and releases can get extreme! The attack can get so slow in the 9 position its like whole drum hits or notes come through without grabbing it, so I can get it into deep compressions without fast dynamics grabbing it but use really slow release to just keep it hovering with the overall music.
I was using a pair of BG2's for my live to two track mixes that I loved, but a big glue, very think, but now I love the BG1 in that place, just a little more open and I can get different stuff out of it.
-Bryce
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Zeibert ➡️
Happy to help with that! I started one when I had it here but didn't get a chance to finish!
Old 28th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey Bryce how's them video's coming along?
Old 8th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for everyone showing interest in the BG1 Stereo and saying nice things about the BG1 and BG2!
A few things about the sound of these and the ideas behind making them.
The BG2 was the compressor I used in the studio for years, back then just a handful of custom ones out there and a few that I used on my sessions. I wanted the ultimate big glue tube compressor, like a BA6A or Gates or all of the things like that. I also was making RS 124's from leftover stuff from John Hinson but that's a whole different story! I loved the BG2 on vocals, in fact you can hear it on all the vocals on the records I did with Jonathan Wilson, and what he uses now, overhead drums, bass, acoustic guitar and all that stuff.
The BG1 Stereo is different, the main thing is the output amp is a 6SN7 instead of 6V6's but the same size output transformer. I think it has a more open sound, I did try and make it for full program mix and I think it does that well. I wanted to make the American feedback more aggressive than in the BG2, so it can do the smooth more hifi EMI feedback in British mode, but it can get real crazy in American. I also wanted it to be faster and slower, so the attack and releases can get extreme! The attack can get so slow in the 9 position its like whole drum hits or notes come through without grabbing it, so I can get it into deep compressions without fast dynamics grabbing it but use really slow release to just keep it hovering with the overall music.
I was using a pair of BG2's for my live to two track mixes that I loved, but a big glue, very think, but now I love the BG1 in that place, just a little more open and I can get different stuff out of it.
-Bryce
Hey Bryce! Jonathan’s records have become my references for a variety of styles. Congratulations on some incredibly beautiful records. Would you say the B2 is more indicative of what he is using on vocals? The B1 is so damn tempting....may have invest in both...
Old 9th October 2020
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Got my BG1 a few days ago..Awesome unit...Will report back when I've had some more time to play with it. Already liking very much on drums.

-- Mikko
Old 9th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrane ➡️
Got my BG1 a few days ago..Awesome unit...Will report back when I've had some more time to play with it. Already liking very much on drums.

-- Mikko
Siiiiiick! Mine is hopefully arriving next week!
Old 12th October 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Just got mine today! Can't wait to hook it up. Really happy that these newer bg1's have a side chain filter too!
Old 12th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thank you! Looking back on those years, when I started working with Wilson we had a MCI 416 and Studer A80 and we always were pushing it, eventually moving on to protools and his huge Cadac console. One of the most talented producers I've ever worked with, those years doing all those records were extreme learning as an engineer. I always used BG2's and a pair of early BG1's on those records, we didn't have much at the beginning, I would run out of preamps on big sessions so the BG1's often went on loud sources without preamps, mics straight in. I did use a BG2 on vocal for tracking a lot, a BA6A got used for vocals a lot too, If I remember correctly it was tracking with the BG2 and mixing with the BA6A. The BA6A sounded very good but in tracking could really get you in a mess, all the sudden you had a compressed sounding vocal and you couldn't take if off, it had a narrow sweet spot and if the vocalist sang louder on the next song and I didn't notice, ooooops! guess the vocal is just gonna be hella smashed... The BG2 was much more forgiving and I know now Wilson uses a new production BG2 as one of his main vocal compressor. I used a BG2 a lot for vocals on the records I engineered.
The BG1 can do it too, I mainly have experience with it for full mix music or stuff like drum mix, I really wish I was in a situation or use one on individual things like a vocal in a multi track session, of corse I text and listen to things like that, but its just not the same as really using it like that in a session. I do hear a lot of feedback from people doing just that with great results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkb911T ➡️
Hey Bryce! Jonathan’s records have become my references for a variety of styles. Congratulations on some incredibly beautiful records. Would you say the B2 is more indicative of what he is using on vocals? The B1 is so damn tempting....may have invest in both...
Old 13th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thank you! Looking back on those years, when I started working with Wilson we had a MCI 416 and Studer A80 and we always were pushing it, eventually moving on to protools and his huge Cadac console. One of the most talented producers I've ever worked with, those years doing all those records were extreme learning as an engineer. I always used BG2's and a pair of early BG1's on those records, we didn't have much at the beginning, I would run out of preamps on big sessions so the BG1's often went on loud sources without preamps, mics straight in. I did use a BG2 on vocal for tracking a lot, a BA6A got used for vocals a lot too, If I remember correctly it was tracking with the BG2 and mixing with the BA6A. The BA6A sounded very good but in tracking could really get you in a mess, all the sudden you had a compressed sounding vocal and you couldn't take if off, it had a narrow sweet spot and if the vocalist sang louder on the next song and I didn't notice, ooooops! guess the vocal is just gonna be hella smashed... The BG2 was much more forgiving and I know now Wilson uses a new production BG2 as one of his main vocal compressor. I used a BG2 a lot for vocals on the records I engineered.
The BG1 can do it too, I mainly have experience with it for full mix music or stuff like drum mix, I really wish I was in a situation or use one on individual things like a vocal in a multi track session, of corse I text and listen to things like that, but its just not the same as really using it like that in a session. I do hear a lot of feedback from people doing just that with great results.
Thanks for the great info! Ordering a BG2 tomorrow!
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi "Duke":
I love my BG2.
So, I am wondering, sometimes I need to compress tablas just to have them stick out in a mix properly. (same question for stereo congas, etc.) Would the BG1 be the compressor for that? Or would I be better off with a pair of BG2s. The reason I ask, is it sounds like the BG1 is great on the drum buss, and I find that when that is the case, sometimes it is idea for some of my other stereo percussion tracks.
Thanks in advance!!

Quote:
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkb911T ➡️
Thanks for the great info! Ordering a BG2 tomorrow!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thats a interesting question, I think the BG1 would be a good choice for that, I did want them to both stand on their own in a studio with both. But more importantly, all the attack points on the BG1 might be really useful for different types of percussion and other types of things like that. I used the BG2 as a mono overhead drum compressor on a lot of sessions, U47 or U67 really low over the drums, set the release to whatever the tempo of the song and playing was, and slow attack if I needed the drums to pop out. But the BG1 has more flexibility and might be more useful for more complex rhythm percussion tracks. For instance, you can set the attack so slow that entire drum hits will pop through and set the release really fast to get back up between even fast rhythm passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➡️
Hi "Duke":
I love my BG2.
So, I am wondering, sometimes I need to compress tablas just to have them stick out in a mix properly. (same question for stereo congas, etc.) Would the BG1 be the compressor for that? Or would I be better off with a pair of BG2s. The reason I ask, is it sounds like the BG1 is great on the drum buss, and I find that when that is the case, sometimes it is idea for some of my other stereo percussion tracks.
Thanks in advance!!
Old 13th October 2020
Lives for gear

I bought a BG2 and bought a second one as soon as I could...

Might do a bg1 this year, too.

47 -> great preamp -> BG2 = a record... it’s a phenomenal piece of gear from an amazing builder.
Old 13th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
what would you call a great preamp

tube or solid state.

Cheers
📝 Reply