The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Highland Dynamics BG1
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict
I dig what you shared, @ warlordpriest . The Tubecore can definitely add warmth/color if you crank the input gain knobs. It's a fine piece of finished finery and capable of doing the job. Most important for me apart from its basic high quality is that it has a mix knob, one of my favorite controls for dialing in compression amounts. Haven't bought a compressor that doesn't have one yet! With a tool that's up to snuff like the Tubecore, the driver will dictate more about the sound than the car (just don't hold me to that re Manley gear). I'm sure you'd be happy with the IGS (in fact, what about the IGS V8 vs the DBC?) But of course, this logic applies to your Buzz comps too, although I can understand wanting more color as the SOC is nice but mighty clean. It's funny, my instinct is to suggest a dedicated box like the sa2rate, but somehow compressors are just way more appealing, even if the only thing you can identify as being missing is a little color (and not compression action). I actually haven't done in-depth comparisons between hw saturators and plugins (excluding tape stuff) so I'm not sure if it's something that truly requires hardware, though many would say it does, I'm sure. I just don't know for myself yet. Compression, on the other hand, I know how I feel about that one!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Churlish ➡️
I dig what you shared, @ warlordpriest . The Tubecore can definitely add warmth/color if you crank the input gain knobs. It's a fine piece of finished finery and capable of doing the job. Most important for me apart from its basic high quality is that it has a mix knob, one of my favorite controls for dialing in compression amounts. Haven't bought a compressor that doesn't have one yet! With a tool that's up to snuff like the Tubecore, the driver will dictate more about the sound than the car (just don't hold me to that re Manley gear). I'm sure you'd be happy with the IGS (in fact, what about the IGS V8 vs the DBC?) But of course, this logic applies to your Buzz comps too, although I can understand wanting more color as the SOC is nice but mighty clean. It's funny, my instinct is to suggest a dedicated box like the sa2rate, but somehow compressors are just way more appealing, even if the only thing you can identify as being missing is a little color (and not compression action). I actually haven't done in-depth comparisons between hw saturators and plugins (excluding tape stuff) so I'm not sure if it's something that truly requires hardware, though many would say it does, I'm sure. I just don't know for myself yet. Compression, on the other hand, I know how I feel about that one!
Thanks for the very interesting post. Never heard of the V8 before. It sounds massive although the DBC sounds a tad more refined. Definitely another option to consider. Too bad it doesn't have a mix knob like the Tubecore.
The tone of the BG-1 must be a lot of what it is that appeals to me. That same tone and depth can be heard in the Revolver but unfortunately some users have had issues with channel matching and the lack of a bypass is a deal breaker for me. The BG-1 with its British/American modes and two options of input impedance seems way more versatile.
Everyone hears something different in their head that they want on their tracks, maybe a kind of signature sound and that Altec 436 sound kind of feels like it for me, however the diode bridge sound is also just as attractive.
Yes, I'm with you on preferring compression and compressors in general to saturation units. My UBK Fatso is used mainly for saturation, rarely for compression and its not as heavy handed as a lot of dedicated units can be. Also there is the "Aggressive" mode of the Michelangelo that allows you to kind of target your saturation to whatever band you select to boost. Along with the "78 Drawmer, there are plenty of saturation options in my toolbox already but thanks for the suggestions.
Saturation, IMO is rather overused in this day and age. Same thing with plug ins. You really have to walk a line to make sure you're not doing more damage than good...again, IMO.
📝 Reply