The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Coil Audio
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlersonic ➡️
I got the single channel CA70s.
I'm a musician and don't really need a ton of channels as I don't do live recordings for my music.

I hesitated between the 70s and the 286 but figured the 70s would be the most different from what I already own, Tree Branch, Heritage 1073s and capi Heiders.
I’m in a similar boat, and I’m using a u67 with ef86 tubes already... figured the ca-70 would help tame my 2-4K range.

I’m also considering selling another pre to get the 286, I think I’m starting to become obsessed...
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyremusic ➡️
I've heard a few people using them on the mix bus but maybe that's for very specific projects. I think either I would go out of my way to get a bunch of Coil preamps or I would just get one/two and then spend the rest on a vari-mu like a highland dynamics for tracking purposes!
No compressor at tracking is ok, not really mandatory today. If you go compressor, you really need to go high end and take one of the few really good ones.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
I’m in a similar boat, and I’m using a u67 with ef86 tubes already... figured the ca-70 would help tame my 2-4K range.

I’m also considering selling another pre to get the 286, I think I’m starting to become obsessed...

Yeah sometimes it does seem pretty ridiculous to be so obsessed with preamps, particularly when the differences are pretty subtle but in the end though, I'm a self recording artist and I do think that when you find the right mics/preamps etc it's very inspiring and things really come together.

Recently I've been gravitating towards the Capi Heider for 90% of my tracks just because I like the way it stacks, the vibe it creates for my music. It inspires me melodies when I listen back to the tracks, more so than listening to tracks I've recorded with the Branch, which admittedly sounds great, hifi and large but just a bit bland for my tastes.

Most people I've talked to recommended the CA70s for what I do so we'll see!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
FWIW, I started with ZOD ID DIs on mix bus, which is getting popular now. Moved to Coils which I personally prefer as they are far more precise, the 286 has transformer and tube options that are great. I still love and run ZOD on bass and some mono tracks.

The Coil team prefers 70s on mix bus and it has also become the first option I try. It has always sounded great, occasionally I switch to 286 with 110 or 110 HN
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyremusic ➡️
Now I just can't wait to hear how the Horch will sound through either the Coil CA70...
Amazing, is how it sounds.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
One interesting observation, I have been working with some 16, 17 and 18 year old musicians and vocalists, on studio recordings, for over six years now. They have become almost perfect at detecting mic and preamp changes, each have definite favorites and point out changes.

When I first got my Coil 286s and 70s, I would have musicians and vocalists listen to 3 options. (1) 70, (2) 286 with 110, (3) 286 with 110HN. Preamp selection with Tele 251 E or Flea 49 never took more than two minutes. 286 110 every time. Same now except c725 goes with 70, 67 Reissue goes straight into Pueblo JR. the experienced group hears immediately.

Different scenario, still on the listening/hearing differences topic, I was recently surprised when my primary pianist let me know the piano monitors sounded wrong, flat and lifeless, there was a problem. First I was confused, almost doubted, forgot I had swapped out cables just before the session, when I checked, found I reversed a left and right. Made the swap, she said that was it, sounds right now, and we proceeded.

Point is, my room and chain are great, experienced artists can tell differences, have strong preferences.

Quote:
Yeah sometimes it does seem pretty ridiculous to be so obsessed with preamps, particularly when the differences are pretty subtle but in the end though, I'm a self recording artist and I do think that when you find the right mics/preamps etc it's very inspiring and things really come together.

Recently I've been gravitating towards the Capi Heider for 90% of my tracks just because I like the way it stacks, the vibe it creates for my music. It inspires me melodies when I listen back to the tracks, more so than listening to tracks I've recorded with the Branch, which admittedly sounds great, hifi and large but just a bit bland for my tastes.

Most people I've talked to recommended the CA70s for what I do so we'll see!

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 4 weeks ago at 07:52 PM..
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I think the boat is a yacht, because I'm on it as well. 2-3.5k range is also my issue, and sometimes up around 8-10k. I've got both the REDD and Warm 67 with ZenPro mod (Neumann cap) and Amperex late 60's EF86. Been using a Roll Music Tubule and Avedis MA5 as my pres, and use an AudioScape Opto during tracking/hardware insert during mix. Have the CA-70s on order and if that completes the vocal chain, then I'm set.

Good to hear so many positives here.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao B. ➡️
Just 6!

But we have a vintage Neve 8068 without phantom power so we decided to go with 20 channels of Coil's CP-448 to use with the desk as well.
Your joint has high levels of badassery
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I’m still digging 67 into 70 vocals
70 kick front too
286 pretty dope on guitars and leads
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Your joint has high levels of badassery
Why, thank you!

Sure feels great coming in to work everyday.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by packermans4 ➡️
then I'm set.
You really think so???
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
I’m still digging 67 into 70 vocals
70 kick front too
286 pretty dope on guitars and leads
I’ve never heard both together, but in my imagination the 70/u67 combo seems like one to try. I’m also going to buy a 286, this forum is ****ing with my wallet.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan ➡️
FWIW, I started with ZOD ID DIs on mix bus, which is getting popular now. Moved to Coils which I personally prefer as they are far more precise, the 286 has transformer and tube options that are great. I still love and run ZOD on bass and some mono tracks.

The Coil team prefers 70s on mix bus and it has also become the first option I try. It has always sounded great, occasionally I switch to 286 with 110 or 110 HN
****... so now I need 2 70’s instead of the one I ordered.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️
You really think so???
A guy can dream, can't he?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan ➡️
One interesting observation, I have been working with some 16, 17 and 18 year old musicians and vocalists, on studio recordings, for over six years now. They have become almost perfect at detecting mic and preamp changes, each have definite favorites and point out changes.

When I first got my Coil 286s and 70s, I would have musicians and vocalists listen to 3 options. (1) 70, (2) 286 with 110, (3) 286 with 110HN. Preamp selection with Tele 251 E or Flea 49 never took more than two minutes. 286 110 every time. Same now except c725 goes with 70, 67 Reissue goes straight into Pueblo JR. the experienced group hears immediately.

Different scenario, still on the listening/hearing differences topic, I was recently surprised when my primary pianist let me know the piano monitors sounded wrong, flat and lifeless, there was a problem. First I was confused, almost doubted, forgot I had swapped out cables just before the session, when I checked, found I reversed a left and right. Made the swap, she said that was it, sounds right now, and we proceeded.

Point is, my room and chain are great, experienced artists can tell differences, have strong preferences.
Never underestimate what people can hear once they're exposed for a time and then it changes. Every time I record my daughter (draft or final) I send an mp3 to my wife and she listens on her cell phone. One time I changed my interface and didn't tell her. After a couple lines of the first verse she asked "What did you change Doug? It sounds different. Like its more detailed or something?"
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Put the Coils to use yesterday, recording drums.

Kick - U47 Fet - CA70
Snr - e22S - CA70
Overs - 4038 - CA70
Rack tom - R84 - CA286
Floor tom - R84 - CA286

Sick.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Put the Coils to use yesterday, recording drums.

Kick - U47 Fet - CA70
Snr - e22S - CA70
Overs - 4038 - CA70
Rack tom - R84 - CA286
Floor tom - R84 - CA286

Sick.
Let's hear it!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Does anyone have any experience with the Thermionic Culture Snow Petrel and how it might compare to either of the Coil's, just tonally speaking (obviously some feature differences, with the low and air bands, and the amount of gain on tap)?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
****... so now I need 2 70’s instead of the one I ordered.
Yeah, there existed an addiction to Coil.
It will only get worse when you get it XD

Got one of each here, every time I come here I wanna buy more of them
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Let's hear it!!!
Sorry, can't share this at the moment.

I'll try to get some clips next time.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry, can't share this at the moment.

I'll try to get some clips next time.
No worries I was just kidding!

I'm getting the Coil on monday, I'll be setting up a little shootout that I'll probably post here.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I'm getting the Coil on monday, I'll be setting up a little shootout that I'll probably post here.
Very cool. Look forward to that shootout !
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

If you don't mind me asking, how long ago did you order it?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus TM;154****7
If you don't mind me asking, how long ago did you order it?
I'm in the EU and it was in stock so didn't have to wait.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm in the EU and it was in stock so didn't have to wait.
I'm in the US. Ordered 3/19, and no word yet on status or delivery date. Originally told up to 30 days due to waiting on parts.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
3/23, here.
Same story.
It's definitely going around, these days!
It's cool, I don't mind the wait for it.
I waited a few months for a Highland BG1, too.
Absolutely worth it!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus TM ➡️
3/23, here.
Same story.
It's definitely going around, these days!
It's cool, I don't mind the wait for it.
I waited a few months for a Highland BG1, too.
Absolutely worth it!
Yeah, I'm not complaining. Just anxious.

That BG1 looks outstanding!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There was a delay because they couldn’t get some parts.
The giant coil elf is bangin them out now.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S ➡️
There was a delay because they couldn’t get some parts.
The giant coil elf is bangin them out now.
The question is, if he is giant; is he really an elf?
...or is he giant for an elf, relative to other elves.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

In any event...
Always room for elf improvement.
Chris
📝 Reply