The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler TG Mic
Old 28th May 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoyjk ➡️
I’m about to buy tg mic or soyuz 017 fet.

Have pair of tlm 170(pretty versatile mic I feel like, seems very honest mic) and want specific mic only for vocals and acoustic guitar but hey, who knows.. vocals, I usually work with female singers, various voices but recently I started working with 2 singers that I really like. One has dark and almost tenor range(not exactly but sounds remind me of H.E.R), other is very pretty voice but still not harsh and still little dark voice.
And other singer I usually work(actually I play piano/keys in her band) has bright(not overly) but sometimes could get little harsh. (Haven’t had a chance to record her but I’m willing to)
Would you guys recommend tg or soyuz 017?

Preamp wise I have bae and aml 1073’s, dav bg and aea rpq500 pair.
Soyuz is a much better vocal mic imo. The build quality is heavy duty. The TG not so much.
Old 29th May 2022 | Show parent
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
Soyuz is a much better vocal mic imo. The build quality is heavy duty. The TG not so much.
Can you elaborate a little more comparing the 2 for vocals as I’m close to pulling the trigger on a TG mic?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM ➡️
Can you elaborate a little more comparing the 2 for vocals as I’m close to pulling the trigger on a TG mic?
I love the The REDD on everything it’s a stone cold classic. I bought 2.
The TG for me has just not quite got the Chandler class.
It sounds cool on instruments but I find it a little less smooth for vocals. The build is so so and I guess I’m just a little disappointed, it feels like a £1k mic. That said you could still do a lot worse. I just feel the Soyuz Fet or a Horch RM2J are in a different class all round.
Of course it’s your choice, you may feel completely different. Horses for Courses and all that….
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
I love the The REDD on everything it’s a stone cold classic. I bought 2.
The TG for me has just not quite got the Chandler class.
It sounds cool on instruments but I find it a little less smooth for vocals. The build is so so and I guess I’m just a little disappointed, it feels like a £1k mic. That said you could still do a lot worse. I just feel the Soyuz Fet or a Horch RM2J are in a different class all round.
Of course it’s your choice, you may feel completely different. Horses for Courses and all that….
Hey Paul,
Thanks for elaborating.
I was definitely contemplating a Soyuz as well, but the TG with all the different available sound options is very appealing. And it does seem to get a lot of great reviews. But getting feedback from someone like yourself who uses the very best of the best gear is important in my consideration.
I’ll definitely do some more evaluation. Thanks for the feedback.
📝 Reply