The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If I could buy only ONE high-ish end mic, what should I buy?
Old 15th July 2020
Gear Guru

The tube 017 version sounded very "lush"/bigger than life (in a good way) to me. Both great IMHO.
Chris
Old 15th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth ➡️
Thank you, Amroth...

I have heard good things about that mic.
Old 16th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

I'm going back and forth between the Flea 47 and the 017 Tube. Have you used the flea before too? After extended demos I slightly prefer the flea because it has that record sound. The mids are scooped ever so slightly compared to the 017 but in a good way, that seems it fits into a mix well. And it sounds more vintagey to me.

But the demos on youtube of the 017 are stunning. Especially on female vocals. But I'm a male singer (baritone) and this primarily would be for me and my home studio. I want an all-rounder that can do vocals, acoustic guitar, Vox guitar cab, hand percussion etc. What are your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
Don't be fooled, it's a fantastic vocal microphone. It beats out the best.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicSurfin ➡️
I'm going back and forth between the Flea 47 the 017 Tube. Have you used the flea before too? After extended demos I slightly prefer the flea because it has that record sound. The mids are scooped ever so slightly compared to the 017 but in a good way, that seems it fits into a mix well. And it sounds more vintagey to me.

But the demos on youtube of the 017 are stunning. Especially on female vocals. But I'm a male singer (baritone) and this primarily would be for me and my home studio. I want an all-rounder that can do vocals, acoustic guitar, Vox guitar cab, hand percussion etc. What are your thoughts?
The Soyuz is fantastic on male vox it beat out all my others recently, it has a lovely top end.
I had a Flea, used it once and sold it because the high end didn't blend with the lows. It was a shame as the build is great. I use a Horch for 47 type vox now or the Voxorama.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
I use a Horch for 47 type vox now or the Voxorama.
+1!

Horch are incredible sounding mics at a very “affordable” price for what they are. Top quality components.

They compete with other 47 style mics that costs much more and most of the time come out on top.. great top end without shrillness, very nice “authentic” mids and a nice large low end that is not flabby.

Also great on drums, not only vocals, plus it comes with 2 modes, which could cone handy on several sources. Quite underrated over here for some reasons.

Cheu
Old 16th July 2020
Gear Guru

OK then. For a Chuck Jackson/Gospel Baritone style vocal (ala the song "Any Day Now"). Usually my first thought would be a 47 style vocal mic.

I guess the 017 Soyuz would fit that really well too.
Any further thoughts?

Thanks, Chris
P.S. I also really like how their Bomblet sounded too. Nice and thick Low Mids.
Old 26th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Bock Audio 251

Do you want to buy mine?

1 by BEANAT19, on Flickr
Old 26th December 2020
Gear Guru

Hi! Out of all the 251 Style microphones, that one is my fave, but I'm "good for now" (famous last words!).
What a beauty though.

I'm going to try to "understand" better, my present (minor) vocal arsenal first, before considering any expansion.
Also planning to do a measure of VO self training, that includes being able to effectively sing in various Animation Character voices, for fun and profit!
Chris
Old 26th December 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
THAT's the one I ended up with! The object of this thread. LOL
Old 26th December 2020
Gear Guru

📝 Reply