Quantcast
JBL 708p - 4 of 6 monitors have failed since purchase - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JBL 708p - 4 of 6 monitors have failed since purchase
Old 25th February 2019
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
JBL 708p - 4 of 6 monitors have failed since purchase

708s will randomly freeze up, show error lights and not pass audio. A manual factory reset brings them back to life but sometimes only for 30 minutes before freezing up again.

Load up screen on the back either freezes at "JBL 708P" or it will get to the "Input Trim" screen but then freeze up.

Last edited by Input_NYC; 4th March 2019 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: update
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Wow, that's horrible. I know a few people with 708p's who have been fine so far. Maybe yours were part of a bad batch run?
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
More info please..I'm interested in the 708p's. This is the first I've heard of any major issues with them.
Old 3rd March 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I'd love to know too. I've had my 708P's for about 6 months now. AND I LOVE EM. No complaints or problems other than myself accidentally rotating the rear facing control and trimming down one speaker a couple dB. Once I figured that out, I've kept my hands away from there. heh heh
Old 4th March 2019
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
So what we think is happening is this.... 708ps keep freezing up (totally random times). A manual hard factory reset fixes things but sometimes only for an hour or so... sometimes theyre good for a few days after the reset.

Quite a pain in the ass if you keep the monitors in the walls... or if you have clients in the room when they decide to freeze up.

No issues with our power and no issues with temp (all 708s are in air conditioned studios).

Customer service has been VERY VERY VERY slow to help us out and doesn't understand why this is such a big issue in our client facing rooms. 10+ years using Genelecs and never once had an issue like this. Really making me regret our switch over to the 708s.

Last edited by Input_NYC; 4th March 2019 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 4th March 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I've had 708P's for 6 months now. Never any issues like yours. Good luck. JBL service has always been top notch for me.
Old 4th March 2019
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Are you doing anything to treat your power to these, like some sort of a modified sine wave UPS? I have seen some electronics (very rarely) have issues with the non pure units, possibly re increased EMI.

Can you reproduce the issue at another location which is not associated with the studio?

Just a total shot in the dark.
Old 26th July 2019
Pio
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I think there was just a bad batch... I love my 708Ps, purchased a pair as soon as they were available at Dale Pro in their Queens store - both those had issues (similar to yours with errors, no sound, etc) and were replaced. Since then, the 2nd pair had been flawless. I work at a radio station and leave them on in my office 24/7 with the station playing.
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
did this ever get resolved? one of my monitors is doing the same exact thing, but now it's perm stuck with no sound.
Old 4th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Input_NYC ➑️
708s will randomly freeze up, show error lights and not pass audio. A manual factory reset brings them back to life but sometimes only for 30 minutes before freezing up again.

Load up screen on the back either freezes at "JBL 708P" or it will get to the "Input Trim" screen but then freeze up.
I have the same problem with all 5 of mine since the very beginning!
(Running a 5.1 surround setup)

I bought them when they came out 3-4 years ago.
I had one fail permanently 2 years ago and had to replace it. and now again, my second one has failed permanently and whatever I try, it is permanent ERROR. and another one gets stuck in "Error mode" almost every time I am restarting it after it has been shut off, however I fix it by restarting it again. I DO NOT want to have to do a "Factory Reset" since that will erase all my Room EQ presets and Time alignement etc.

Luckily I ordered them through Swedish audio retailer company SEPTON wich has been awesome with helping me out on this. So I am kind of covered for the time being, but it feels like a ticking bomb.
According to JBL they are not aware of other clients having this issue, wich I find surprising since all 5 of mine has tendencies to go into error mode every now and then since the very beginning.

How did it turn out for you in the end? Any luck?
//Ted
Old 5th June 2020
Gear Addict
The recent Crown class d pa amps have some reliability issues ime. JBL LSR 708p uses these amps. Since Harman got bought by Samsung, service has gone down the toilet according to a few of friends in various countries (Ireland, UK, France) who work live sound in venues with those Crowns.
Old 9th August 2020
Here for the gear

mine too :(

I really love these things... but one of my two bit the dust today. It's been randomly going going silent for about a month. It did it once maybe a year ago, then it was fine. Then again 6 months later. For the past week, I've had to reset it daily. And by reset, I just mean power-cycling it. Sometimes, switching it off would cause a loud pop from the drivers, other times it was quiet. I did a factory reset today, but it remained silent. The green light was stuck on & the menus were non-functional.

I heard via ASR that JBL's factory is really far behind in doing repairs. ie: one person had sent a monitor in for service, maybe pre-virus, and it's been sitting at the JBL service location for months. Unlike many of ya'll, these are just for personal use, not professional. I also purchased them used via eBay (Jan 2019) from what I believe is an authorized reseller. I guess it was too early to know about the high failure rate. I saved some $$ and took the risk... sigh.

Anyway, I'm tempted to crack this thing open & look for a failed cap. More often than not, these sorts of things die because a cheaper/under-rated component was used in the power supply to save a few pennies.
πŸ“ Reply