PMC TwoTwo8 users help please! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PMC TwoTwo8 users help please!
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
PMC TwoTwo8 users help please!

Hiya,

I have these PMCs and they really appear to have a deep cut around the crossover, in the 2kHz region. 6dB and quite wide at my listening position. The only other plot online I have seen also has this dip. Of course I have done my best to measure/listen in different positions and orientations but there is a chance it is acoustics/positioning/distance....

Does anyone with these speakers have REQ/frequency plots in their room that they would be happy to upload here?

Many thanks, I hope someone can chip in with their data if they have it available!

Oli
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are you wondering if there's an issue with the speaker? Measure from 1-1.5 ft in front of the speaker and see how it measures (microphone aligned with acoustic center of speaker.) That'll eliminate much of the room (make sure there's nothing between the microphone and the speaker like desks/flat surfaces; shouldn't be an issue that close to the speaker)
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The studio I work out of has TwoTwo8s. We’ve had them for at least a year, but just got them in the control room. Unfortunately, it’ll probably be another month before we shoot the room. But I agree that shooting a single 1-1.5ft with nothing between will tell you right away.

Next to the ATC SCM150s we also have, the PMC’s flat settings are brighter on top (can even make me wince on some material) and leaner in both the mids and low mids. Backing-off the top (I have a feeling it might end-up being 0.5-1.5dB) helps match to the ATC top; real close.

Overall, my ears find all ATC mids honky (mids too loud) most of the time, so it’s hard for me to judge by ear what’s actually flat with mids. It’ll certainly be fun to find out when we do shoot the room very soon!
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Please do report back Rec_Eng! Don't forget about me!

I've done dozens of sweeps in many locations but shall do one exactly as suggested and upload.
Old 17th February 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I also have a wide dip around 2k-3k with my 8's And a big boost starting at 7k with the peak at 10-12ish. They roll off @ 40 - 45 for the low-end with 35 being -6db.

I think the midrange dip is a design choice to make them sound smooth/less harsh. The high boost is also design choice since all PMC are very bright.
Old 21st February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakr ➡️
I also have a wide dip around 2k-3k with my 8's And a big boost starting at 7k with the peak at 10-12ish. They roll off @ 40 - 45 for the low-end with 35 being -6db.

I think the midrange dip is a design choice to make them sound smooth/less harsh. The high boost is also design choice since all PMC are very bright.
Thank you so much! Could you show a Frequency plot? I’ll do one too, interesting to compare. I don’t get that Hf boost but they appear to roll off sharply above 16kHz or so, but my low bass is ok down to 25-30Hz I’d say
📝 Reply