Quantcast
Black Lion Audio MK III or Grimm CC2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Black Lion Audio MK III or Grimm CC2
Old 2nd January 2019
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
Black Lion Audio MK III or Grimm CC2

hello!

i need a master clock and im thinking about BLA MK III or Grimm CC2.
what would you go for and why?

thanks,

vlado
Old 4th January 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Earcatcher's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I went for the Grimm CC2 because it is truly excellent sound-wise, very small (can easily take it with me on location), affordable, good looking and does exactly what I needed it for. And it has its power supply inside, which I strongly prefer over wall-warts. Also, it is made close to where I live, so service is easy to get.

The BLA has more outputs, so in case you need those this might be a reason to go for that. I haven't heard it.

P.S.: I would have more difficulty choosing between the Mutec MC-3+ and the Grimm than the BLA.
Old 5th January 2019
  #3
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I've had both.
get the Grimm
Old 5th January 2019 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher ➡️
I went for the Grimm CC2 because it is truly excellent sound-wise, very small (can easily take it with me on location), affordable, good looking and does exactly what I needed it for. And it has its power supply inside, which I strongly prefer over wall-warts. Also, it is made close to where I live, so service is easy to get.

The BLA has more outputs, so in case you need those this might be a reason to go for that. I haven't heard it.

P.S.: I would have more difficulty choosing between the Mutec MC-3+ and the Grimm than the BLA.
Whts the deal with that mutec REF10? Looks like a great alternative to other 10MHz clocks.
Old 6th January 2019 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Earcatcher's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 ➡️
Whts the deal with that mutec REF10? Looks like a great alternative to other 10MHz clocks.
It's actually a very interesting alternative with unsurpassed short-term stability (which is the most important factor for eliminating jitter). However, the improvement of Mutec's own MC-3+ seems to be very limited with it. Should mostly be seen as an improver of compatible equipment from other brands.
Old 7th January 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Grimm, 100%. Amazing clocks.
Old 7th January 2019 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher ➡️
It's actually a very interesting alternative with unsurpassed short-term stability (which is the most important factor for eliminating jitter). However, the improvement of Mutec's own MC-3+ seems to be very limited with it. Should mostly be seen as an improver of compatible equipment from other brands.
I read on it and it still needs a clock to accept the it no? Like you cant just hook it up to standard WC. Or am I reading it wrong?
Old 7th January 2019 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Earcatcher's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 ➡️
I read on it and it still needs a clock to accept the it no? Like you cant just hook it up to standard WC. Or am I reading it wrong?
The REF10 is a clock extension. For 10MHz you need a clock device that can handle that signal and translate it into Wordclock. There are also converters that can take the REF10 directly and use it to generate internal clock signal.
Old 8th January 2019
  #9
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Grimm has more impressive design specs and makes a very audible difference with most converters.
Old 8th January 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Anyone tried the Grimm with a Titan/Prism?
Old 8th January 2019 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➡️
Grimm has more impressive design specs and makes a very audible difference with most converters.
Thanks Adam for turning me onto the CC1!
Old 8th January 2019 | Show parent
  #12
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Thanks Adam for turning me onto the CC1!
You are very welcome RB! I am sure you enjoy the insane tightness of tracks when listening back to a large multi-track
Old 8th January 2019 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➡️
You are very welcome RB! I am sure you enjoy the insane tightness of tracks when listening back to a large multi-track
Indeed!
Mothership to console.
Mix/monitor to Dangerous AD/DA.
All Clocked by Grimm.
Old 8th January 2019 | Show parent
  #14
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Indeed!
Mothership to console.
Mix/monitor to Dangerous AD/DA.
All Clocked by Grimm.
It was pretty startling the first time I connected it to a Radar V Nyquist. 24 track project to a modified PM2000. Sounded like a whole new world to me. The phase-relationships tightened and the low end basically made me drool. This clock has -90dB of jitter attenuation at 10Hz. I think that is one reason it is so good.
Old 8th January 2019 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
pentagon's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se ➡️
Anyone tried the Grimm with a Titan/Prism?
It will not help a Prism Titan at all.

Prism quote: "In the 1990s Prism Sound pioneered testing of sampling and interface jitter and as a result our digital audio products deliver unsurpassed jitter rejection. Prism Sound digital audio products lock up fast and re-generate ultra-stable clock outputs. Another aspect of the traditional Prism Sound converter that is retained was the clocking" about the Titan

Pay attention to Grimm's notes about external clocking on their (tech/info) pages. Some clocks will not be aided at all. Prism is one of them.

https://www.grimmaudio.com/site/asse...ock_basics.pdf

Last edited by pentagon; 8th January 2019 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: added link
Old 9th January 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
SSL Alpha links are improved with an external clock.
Old 1st February 2019 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon ➡️
It will not help a Prism Titan at all.

Prism quote: "In the 1990s Prism Sound pioneered testing of sampling and interface jitter and as a result our digital audio products deliver unsurpassed jitter rejection. Prism Sound digital audio products lock up fast and re-generate ultra-stable clock outputs. Another aspect of the traditional Prism Sound converter that is retained was the clocking" about the Titan

Pay attention to Grimm's notes about external clocking on their (tech/info) pages. Some clocks will not be aided at all. Prism is one of them.

https://www.grimmaudio.com/site/asse...ock_basics.pdf
Thanks for the heads up. Just bought a CC2 for the Trinnov, need a multi channel ADDA unit (also with AES output) that's on par with the Lyra to pair with it. Metric Halo LIO-8 perhaps.
Old 3rd February 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I really liked the BLA for the price and I just sold it for less than half. These are not financial investments. I replaced it with a Pure 2 from Antelope which sounds creamy and has 10 bnc outs. Doesn't thump like a Burl though......too tempted to get a mothership.
Old 3rd February 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Often wondered what clocking a mothership will bring to the table?
Old 4th February 2019 | Show parent
  #20
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➡️
Often wondered what clocking a mothership will bring to the table?
I clock a MS with a Grimm CC1
Sounds great
Old 4th February 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Is the Mothership just plug 'n' play with the Digilinks?
Old 4th February 2019
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Yup comes up as a digi I/O.

I’m considering an digi HD IO so I can put all my comps on HW inserts so might need one to pull em back into line.

RB what’s the upside from the grim clock ?
Old 4th February 2019 | Show parent
  #23
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➡️
Yup comes up as a digi I/O.

I’m considering an digi HD IO so I can put all my comps on HW inserts so might need one to pull em back into line.

RB what’s the upside from the grim clock ?
I have the MS and Avids running together no prob.
CC1- Smoother up top yet a bit more detail/depth.
Had the pure2 running on an atomic m10 here for a few weeks
Detailed kinda wide but kinda wimpy less punch next to the Burl stuff.returned it.
Recently had the Hedd Quantum and Dangerous stuff side by side for mix capture.
Dangerous stayed.
Old 4th February 2019 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➡️
Yup comes up as a digi I/O.

I’m considering an digi HD IO so I can put all my comps on HW inserts so might need one to pull em back into line.

RB what’s the upside from the grim clock ?
You should have said I just sold 2 to replace with Prism's.
Old 4th February 2019 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
kinda wimpy less punch next to the Burl stuff.
.
What isn't? I like it's smooth analogue sorta sound but I can't hear the kick drum like the Burl.
Old 4th February 2019 | Show parent
  #26
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
What isn't? I like it's smooth analogue sorta sound but I can't hear the kick drum like the Burl.
Yup.
Glossy but no punch or weight.
The 10m made it worse.
Spread but wimpier down the middle.
No thanks.
Old 4th February 2019
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Any news on the CC1?
Old 4th February 2019 | Show parent
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Yup.
Glossy but no punch or weight.
The 10m made it worse.
Spread but wimpier down the middle.
No thanks.
Maybe some professionals like that sound
Old 4th February 2019 | Show parent
  #29
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
Any news on the CC1?
Great unit.
Preferred it to the trinity/atomic I had
..more natural but makes things less digital.esp cymbals.
Lots of outputs.
You can run different things at different sample rates.
Old 4th February 2019 | Show parent
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Great unit.
Preferred it to the trinity/atomic..more natural but makes things less digital.esp cymbals.
Lots of outputs.
You can run different things at different sample rates.
Have they rereleased it? I want one.

I might get a small mothership as I don't need so many inputs/outputs, price here though....ouch.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 107 views: 34447
Avatar for pibroch
pibroch 3rd July 2017
replies: 65 views: 10457
Avatar for TJ99
TJ99 22nd February 2021
replies: 238 views: 31929
Avatar for JGM
JGM 21st February 2020
replies: 393 views: 40361
Avatar for chet.d
chet.d 2 weeks ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump