The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Almost ZERO talk about Hedd Type 30 or 20
Old 13th January 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerman ➡️
That's very strange! I have these monitors and have used them in other studios. The low end is accurate, tight and controlled. Better than my old Adam S3X-H monitors. Can't say what's going on in your situ. Any photos of your room?
Another stupid mistake on my part. I turned off one of the subs but forgot I had a dual sub system (because it’s late at night and I suppose my mental faculties were compromised). Suffice it to say, the DAC and speaker levels were such that the DAC was feeding too high of an input level to the sub for the SPL that the HEDDs were pushing out. The bass is actually quite tight. I’m just a moron.
Old 13th January 2022
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yeah. I was surprised. Mine are accurate as far as I can tell.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedmo1 ➡️
Another stupid mistake on my part. I turned off one of the subs but forgot I had a dual sub system (because it’s late at night and I suppose my mental faculties were compromised). Suffice it to say, the DAC and speaker levels were such that the DAC was feeding too high of an input level to the sub for the SPL that the HEDDs were pushing out. The bass is actually quite tight. I’m just a moron.
Not a moron. Well I don’t know. Maybe. That’s kind kind of mistake I could make. Easily. Two motions or just tired. Lol.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedmo1 ➡️
Not a moron at all. In fact, a star in my book for coming back and letting us know the issue and solution with both grace and humility 👍
Old 15th January 2022
Here for the gear

I tried the HEDD Type 20s in both near-field on my desk and mid-field as front L&Rs in my surround setup. I’m coming at this from the perspective of an audiophile and not someone who works with audio in any capacity.

As far as my upgrade path thus far, I’ve owned the following for a meaningful bit of time; Creative T20-> Presonus Ceres 3.5 BT->Adam ARTist 5-> Adam A7X-> EVE SC208 (current pair). I also own Genelec 8020s and Genelec 8250As (which I’m looking to sell).

I’ve also owned or auditioned speakers like Elac Debut 2.0, Presonus Sceptre s6, Adam T7V, Genelec 8010s, Elac FS 407, etc.

Over the past decade I’ve learned quite a bit about audio, speakers, room correction, my preferred tonality, etc. The most important thing I’ve come to really appreciate in this hobby through this process is the law of diminishing gains. If I’m honest with myself, the substantial improvements in musical fidelity largely leveled off when I bought the ARTist 5 used years ago for ~$600 CAD/pair. The Eves provided more low-end grunt and speed but I would have been able to make due with a speaker of the ARTist 5’s quality.

The improvements when I jumped to higher end speakers like the Genelec 8250s and HEDD Type 20s became more and more difficult to notice. Across the frequency response, I found the Genelec 8250As to be marginally better than the Eve SC208 but less pleasant to listen to as I found them to be fatiguing in near-field and largely unremarkable relative to the SC208s in mid-field.

The HEDD Type 20s provided tighter bass, better mids, and more crisp top-end extension. But the Eves were designed to be warmer speakers with a smoother top end. Once I EQed the HEDDs to my liking, the differences to the Eves (a 2-way with an 8” woofer that is 1/3 the price) were too minor for me to care about.

I’m just not comfortable paying 3X the price for what I’d call a 10% (if I had to put a number to my qualitative sense of things) improvement. I suppose this would be more noteworthy for folks in purpose-built control rooms with a hell of a lot of treatment (who make a living in this space) or ultra-high-end audiophiles. But for me, it’s kind of solidified my suspicions about where I stand when it comes to this audiophile hobby. I just don’t care to spend more $ on increasingly minor improvements. The grass isn’t greener enough for me to care.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Has anyone compared the HEDD type 20 mk2 and 30 mk2? Curious to hear your thoughts
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiDey247 ➡️
Has anyone compared the HEDD type 20 mk2 and 30 mk2? Curious to hear your thoughts
Mind you, I’ve heard the MK1 models.
The difference is not huge imho..
there’s a little bit more lowend (a tad more extension) and more SPL avalaible on the 30 as to be expected..
If the room is not big the 20 will do well.

I can imagine it is probably the same with the mk2, but I never heard them side by side.

Cheu
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiDey247 ➡️
I have. The difference is: more SPL, more low end extension. Didn't like the sound of the HEDD monitors at all, though.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 ➡️
Mind you, I’ve heard the MK1 models.
The difference is not huge imho..
there’s a little bit more lowend (a tad more extension) and more SPL avalaible on the 30 as to be expected..
If the room is not big the 20 will do well.

I can imagine it is probably the same with the mk2, but I never heard them side by side.

Cheu
I've heard them both, I own a pair of the Type 20 MK1's. Love them by the way. Great build quality.

Apart from a few handy technical additions, although I was tempted, I really didn't see any point in upgrading to the MK2's. Was also nervous about support TBH since they dropped it, without a word, for their Lineariser plugin for the MK1's, refusing to answer any questions about it since. Been a few years now, pretty poor for a new brand that needs to build trust. I'll likely move onto another brand when the time comes.

The Type 30's both MK1 and MK2 as others have already said give you a little more in the low end but depending on the size of your room, the Type 20's are more than capable.
📝 Reply