The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Almost ZERO talk about Hedd Type 30 or 20
Old 13th January 2022 | Show parent
  #181
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerman ➡️
That's very strange! I have these monitors and have used them in other studios. The low end is accurate, tight and controlled. Better than my old Adam S3X-H monitors. Can't say what's going on in your situ. Any photos of your room?
Another stupid mistake on my part. I turned off one of the subs but forgot I had a dual sub system (because it’s late at night and I suppose my mental faculties were compromised). Suffice it to say, the DAC and speaker levels were such that the DAC was feeding too high of an input level to the sub for the SPL that the HEDDs were pushing out. The bass is actually quite tight. I’m just a moron.
Old 13th January 2022
  #182
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Yeah. I was surprised. Mine are accurate as far as I can tell.
Old 13th January 2022 | Show parent
  #183
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedmo1 ➡️
Another stupid mistake on my part. I turned off one of the subs but forgot I had a dual sub system (because it’s late at night and I suppose my mental faculties were compromised). Suffice it to say, the DAC and speaker levels were such that the DAC was feeding too high of an input level to the sub for the SPL that the HEDDs were pushing out. The bass is actually quite tight. I’m just a moron.
Not a moron. Well I don’t know. Maybe. That’s kind kind of mistake I could make. Easily. Two motions or just tired. Lol.
Old 13th January 2022 | Show parent
  #184
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedmo1 ➡️
Another stupid mistake on my part. I turned off one of the subs but forgot I had a dual sub system (because it’s late at night and I suppose my mental faculties were compromised). Suffice it to say, the DAC and speaker levels were such that the DAC was feeding too high of an input level to the sub for the SPL that the HEDDs were pushing out. The bass is actually quite tight. I’m just a moron.
Not a moron at all. In fact, a star in my book for coming back and letting us know the issue and solution with both grace and humility 👍
Old 15th January 2022
  #185
Here for the gear
 
I tried the HEDD Type 20s in both near-field on my desk and mid-field as front L&Rs in my surround setup. I’m coming at this from the perspective of an audiophile and not someone who works with audio in any capacity.

As far as my upgrade path thus far, I’ve owned the following for a meaningful bit of time; Creative T20-> Presonus Ceres 3.5 BT->Adam ARTist 5-> Adam A7X-> EVE SC208 (current pair). I also own Genelec 8020s and Genelec 8250As (which I’m looking to sell).

I’ve also owned or auditioned speakers like Elac Debut 2.0, Presonus Sceptre s6, Adam T7V, Genelec 8010s, Elac FS 407, etc.

Over the past decade I’ve learned quite a bit about audio, speakers, room correction, my preferred tonality, etc. The most important thing I’ve come to really appreciate in this hobby through this process is the law of diminishing gains. If I’m honest with myself, the substantial improvements in musical fidelity largely leveled off when I bought the ARTist 5 used years ago for ~$600 CAD/pair. The Eves provided more low-end grunt and speed but I would have been able to make due with a speaker of the ARTist 5’s quality.

The improvements when I jumped to higher end speakers like the Genelec 8250s and HEDD Type 20s became more and more difficult to notice. Across the frequency response, I found the Genelec 8250As to be marginally better than the Eve SC208 but less pleasant to listen to as I found them to be fatiguing in near-field and largely unremarkable relative to the SC208s in mid-field.

The HEDD Type 20s provided tighter bass, better mids, and more crisp top-end extension. But the Eves were designed to be warmer speakers with a smoother top end. Once I EQed the HEDDs to my liking, the differences to the Eves (a 2-way with an 8” woofer that is 1/3 the price) were too minor for me to care about.

I’m just not comfortable paying 3X the price for what I’d call a 10% (if I had to put a number to my qualitative sense of things) improvement. I suppose this would be more noteworthy for folks in purpose-built control rooms with a hell of a lot of treatment (who make a living in this space) or ultra-high-end audiophiles. But for me, it’s kind of solidified my suspicions about where I stand when it comes to this audiophile hobby. I just don’t care to spend more $ on increasingly minor improvements. The grass isn’t greener enough for me to care.
Old 27th October 2022
  #186
Here for the gear
 
Has anyone compared the HEDD type 20 mk2 and 30 mk2? Curious to hear your thoughts
Old 28th October 2022 | Show parent
  #187
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiDey247 ➡️
Has anyone compared the HEDD type 20 mk2 and 30 mk2? Curious to hear your thoughts
Mind you, I’ve heard the MK1 models.
The difference is not huge imho..
there’s a little bit more lowend (a tad more extension) and more SPL avalaible on the 30 as to be expected..
If the room is not big the 20 will do well.

I can imagine it is probably the same with the mk2, but I never heard them side by side.



Cheu
Old 28th October 2022 | Show parent
  #188
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiDey247 ➡️
Has anyone compared the HEDD type 20 mk2 and 30 mk2? Curious to hear your thoughts
I have. The difference is: more SPL, more low end extension. Didn't like the sound of the HEDD monitors at all, though.
Old 28th October 2022 | Show parent
  #189
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 ➡️
Mind you, I’ve heard the MK1 models.
The difference is not huge imho..
there’s a little bit more lowend (a tad more extension) and more SPL avalaible on the 30 as to be expected..
If the room is not big the 20 will do well.

I can imagine it is probably the same with the mk2, but I never heard them side by side.



Cheu
I've heard them both, I own a pair of the Type 20 MK1's. Love them by the way. Great build quality.

Apart from a few handy technical additions, although I was tempted, I really didn't see any point in upgrading to the MK2's. Was also nervous about support TBH since they dropped it, without a word, for their Lineariser plugin for the MK1's, refusing to answer any questions about it since. Been a few years now, pretty poor for a new brand that needs to build trust. I'll likely move onto another brand when the time comes.

The Type 30's both MK1 and MK2 as others have already said give you a little more in the low end but depending on the size of your room, the Type 20's are more than capable.
Old 2nd January 2023 | Show parent
  #190
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 ➡️
At that point is really a matter of room integration and personal taste.

The Hedd have the amt tweeter type of presentation (although the tweeter is very well integrated, imho better than in other designs), the ATC have a very nice revealing (amazing) midrange and great translation.

I’m on ATC since a long time, I like them, and I can judge/take decision fast on them..

I’d suggest that if you’re ready to spend between 6 or 8k on a pair of monitors, talk to your dealer and let them ship the Type30 and the SCM25 at your place and THEN decide with YOUR room, YOUR ears and taste.

Both are great monitors.
Form your own opinion.

I’d not base my decision on info found on the web (sure you can and should research and try to get an “overall” picture), but when you’re at this level, I’d make sure to listen to them in your room.

I hope this helps,



Cheu
Hello there!
Are the Hedds on the same level(detail, image, balance, translation, distortion, openness, etc…), aside from price and/or reputation, as the ATCs and PMCs?
Thank you!
Old 2nd January 2023 | Show parent
  #191
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batistuta ➡️
Hello there!
Are the Hedds on the same level(detail, image, balance, translation, distortion, openness, etc…), aside from price and/or reputation, as the ATCs and PMCs?
Thank you!
The Hedds offer an incredible value for their performance, that’s for sure.

They use their amt tweeter and that make them present things with a lot of detail..
anyway they present things differently..compared to atc or even pmc.

their mids are excellent, really good indeed.
These are serious sounding/performing monitors, and for their price, quite amazing.

I didn’t use them enough to say if they translate the same or better than atc/pmc’s.. but for sure they have a very capable midrange.. so IF you’re not on atc or pmc’s, they might indeed offer an improvement on the monitors you’re using now.

Maybe @ henry Robinett could chime in and speak about his own experience with them, and how they translate, since he used them for quite a while..

I do personally prefer a silk dome tweeter to the amt..
but you might have a different opinion..this is really a personal thing.

At this level is really a matter of room integration and taste.
I do believe the Hedds also offer the nice option to go sealed cabinet or ported.. that might play a role in some rooms.

We’ll see how the dsp’s and converters held up regarding their reliability through the years..
this is probably the only thing I’d be concerned about..

I’d suggest you to test the hedds out against atc and pmc and form your personal opinion..

Even atc’s and pmc’s are not similar in their presentation.. so it’s quite an apple/orange comparison.

The Hedds are probably the less expensive 3way “hi end” powered monitor I know of, which is worth investing..but that doesn’t mean that they are for you.
ATC, PMC, Geithain 3way, Strauss and I’d even put Neumann 3way (although they tend to be too “soft” for me) are offering some of the best monitors you can buy today.

Go and test some of these..



Cheu
Old 2nd January 2023 | Show parent
  #192
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 ➡️
The Hedds offer an incredible value for their performance, that’s for sure.

They use their amt tweeter and that make them present things with a lot of detail..
anyway they present things differently..compared to atc or even pmc.

their mids are excellent, really good indeed.
These are serious sounding/performing monitors, and for their price, quite amazing.

I didn’t use them enough to say if they translate the same or better than atc/pmc’s.. but for sure they have a very capable midrange.. so IF you’re not on atc or pmc’s, they might indeed offer an improvement on the monitors you’re using now.

Maybe @ henry Robinett could chime in and speak about his own experience with them, and how they translate, since he used them for quite a while..

I do personally prefer a silk dome tweeter to the amt..
but you might have a different opinion..this is really a personal thing.

At this level is really a matter of room integration and taste.
I do believe the Hedds also offer the nice option to go sealed cabinet or ported.. that might play a role in some rooms.

We’ll see how the dsp’s and converters held up regarding their reliability through the years..
this is probably the only thing I’d be concerned about..

I’d suggest you to test the hedds out against atc and pmc and form your personal opinion..

Even atc’s and pmc’s are not similar in their presentation.. so it’s quite an apple/orange comparison.

The Hedds are probably the less expensive 3way “hi end” powered monitor I know of, which is worth investing..but that doesn’t mean that they are for you.
ATC, PMC, Geithain 3way, Strauss and I’d even put Neumann 3way (although they tend to be too “soft” for me) are offering some of the best monitors you can buy today.

Go and test some of these..



Cheu
Thank you very much, really appreciated! I think I would use the Type 20 Mk2 as a closed loudspeaker if I end up buying it.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #193
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Love my Type 20 MK1's. Sound so good and does not fatigue my ears for long listening sessions.
I debate whether it is worth the upgrade to the MK2's? and sell my MK1's.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #194
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I'm considering a 5.1 set up, so I'm considering another pair of Type 20 Mk IIs. I have to see if I have the room.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #195
Gear Addict
 
ozonepaul's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
HEDD Type 20 MK2 Monitor Review and Measurements on audiosciencereview:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.41455/
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #196
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️
I'm considering a 5.1 set up, so I'm considering another pair of Type 20 Mk IIs. I have to see if I have the room.
Hey Henry,
Since you have a pair of type20 already, for a 5.1 setup you might want another single type 20 and do the 2 surround/back with a pair of 07 (or if you want to go with type 20 for the rear too, then you need 3)..

Or am I missing something?



Cheu
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #197
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 ➡️
Hey Henry,
Since you have a pair of type20 already, for a 5.1 setup you might want another single type 20 and do the 2 surround/back with a pair of 07 (or if you want to go with type 20 for the rear too, then you need 3)..

Or am I missing something?



Cheu
I guess I was thinking of 4.1 I have the 07 sub as well as two Type 20s. Actually my NHTPros sound very similar and they’re small enough to make a better fit in my control room.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #198
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonepaul ➡️
HEDD Type 20 MK2 Monitor Review and Measurements on audiosciencereview:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.41455/
Ultimately, that looks pretty good to me! Don't seem to get particularly loud, but that's par for the course - it's a small speaker meant for nearfield. It's plenty clean at 86dB anechoic for a single speaker.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #199
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️
I guess I was thinking of 4.1 I have the 07 sub as well as two Type 20s. Actually my NHTPros sound very similar and they’re small enough to make a better fit in my control room.
I believe the sub you have is the 08Sub..

Anyway I’d question why do you want to go multichannel? (despite 4.1 not being a real standard )

Are you mixing for cinema/movies?
or just for listening back to some 5.1 stuff?

Atmos is what the looks like to be heading the future, BUT most movies are still being mixed in 5.1 or 7.1 afaik.

If you want to go 5.1 you need the 3 identical channels L C R and then for the surrounds you can choose something smaller like the hedd 07 mk2 (if you don’t want to go with the same identical loudspeaker, which is the type20)..
LFE will go to the sub.. so you’re covered there.

So do you really want/need to go multichannel?
What is the reasoning or the need of a multichannel setup?

I’m genuinely ask, because I’m not sure what do you want yo do..

You might want to avoid mixing brands in a multichannel setup..

Can’t wait to see your new tracking space with the piano and all..

Take care,



Cheu
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #200
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 ➡️
I believe the sub you have is the 08Sub..

Anyway I’d question why do you want to go multichannel? (despite 4.1 not being a real standard )

Are you mixing for cinema/movies?
or just for listening back to some 5.1 stuff?

Atmos is what the looks like to be heading the future, BUT most movies are still being mixed in 5.1 or 7.1 afaik.

If you want to go 5.1 you need the 3 identical channels L C R and then for the surrounds you can choose something smaller like the hedd 07 mk2 (if you don’t want to go with the same identical loudspeaker, which is the type20)..
LFE will go to the sub.. so you’re covered there.

So do you really want/need to go multichannel?
What is the reasoning or the need of a multichannel setup?

I’m genuinely ask, because I’m not sure what do you want yo do..

You might want to avoid mixing brands in a multichannel setup..

Can’t wait to see your new tracking space with the piano and all..

Take care,



Cheu
Absolutely no good reason. It dangerous being without my studio for so long. Bored. Pipe dreams. I ding have the space really for it anyway. I would LOVE to write for cinema and the future however atmos doesn’t interest me. But admittedly I need to study up on it. But I’m thinking it’ll go the way of quadraphonic, laserdisc and the 8 track.

I’m about a week or two from being done with the studio. Pictures will follow!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #201
Gear Addict
 
ozonepaul's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackened ➡️
Ultimately, that looks pretty good to me! Don't seem to get particularly loud, but that's par for the course - it's a small speaker meant for nearfield. It's plenty clean at 86dB anechoic for a single speaker.
I've only heard the first gen. Type 07s and type 20s, but for it's intended usage (nearfield mixing/music editing) they were already great monitors. I really like how room adaptable/tunable this 2nd gen. Type 20 is. With it's closed/open bass port plug, with it's built in EQ/phase linearizer it gives a lot of "tuning" options. It's also pretty competitively priced.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #202
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Well damn. It looks like my 08 sub died? I can’t get sound out of my HEDD’s through AES. I haven’t tried them analog. I’ve heard other people who had problems. Some folks thought the later models had the issues. Mine are among the first batch. I still will be doing testing tomorrow. I’m hoping this is just user error.
Old 4 days ago
  #203
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I don’t know what the problem is but I hooked it up analog and it’s great again. Gotta track this down later though.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #204
Gear Addict
 
8ttila's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️
I don’t know what the problem is but I hooked it up analog and it’s great again. Gotta track this down later though.
sounds like the AES interface is faulty
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #205
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ttila ➡️
sounds like the AES interface is faulty
I'm sure it is. But my concern is I hope they have authorized repair places in the US, preferably northern California. I would HATE to have to ship them back to Germany!!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 405 views: 133205
Avatar for Deleted 26d6446bea7733d
Deleted 26d6446bea7733d 16th December 2019
replies: 340 views: 62093
Avatar for Deleted 26d6446bea7733d
Deleted 26d6446bea7733d 21st July 2019
replies: 122 views: 106592
Avatar for ahmedmo1
ahmedmo1 13th January 2022
replies: 141 views: 29638
Avatar for M Albazy
M Albazy 18th July 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump