Quantcast
Any SSL XL Desk owners out there? How do you like the mixer? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any SSL XL Desk owners out there? How do you like the mixer?
Old 18th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS ➡️
I have a good handful of mixes either done entirely on the XL Desk or at a minimum summed through it on my website. Just click the “Recordings” section. It’s a true to the core analog SSL.hi

www.solutionroom.com
Beautiful studio.
Old 19th October 2019 | Show parent
SRS
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci ➡️
Beautiful studio.
Thank you!
Old 19th October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Beautiful studio.
I confirm, so nice!
Old 9th December 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hello!

Is someone could kindly bounce few stems of one of my track already released to have an idea of the summing of the XL Desk please ?

The idea is to only sum it with fader at 0, no need for mix or mastering, a quick bounce of the master out to compare the sound of the XL desk with my current setup before buying it.

Many thanks to all of you, you can contact me via personal message, I will send you a dropbox link

Sincerely,
Old 12th December 2019 | Show parent
SRS
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by qslprod ➡️
Hello!

Is someone could kindly bounce few stems of one of my track already released to have an idea of the summing of the XL Desk please ?

The idea is to only sum it with fader at 0, no need for mix or mastering, a quick bounce of the master out to compare the sound of the XL desk with my current setup before buying it.

Many thanks to all of you, you can contact me via personal message, I will send you a dropbox link

Sincerely,
Got your PM and sent you a PM back with mix.
Old 13th December 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Big thanks to SRS for his help
Old 15th December 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Big thanks to SRS for his help
Would be interesting to hear your impressions of your mix through the XL desk..
Old 16th December 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by javamad ➡️
Would be interesting to hear your impressions of your mix through the XL desk..
About summing quality, I'm feeling a nice bottom punch. Sonically I will say it lacks a bit of 3D and lack of frequencies on Voices. But It's easy to add EQ and stereo imager to the pre-master and have good results.

I like the footprint and the workflow of the XL Desk especially the 4 buses with inserts.

I think I will go with the new SSL Origin (but which is more expensive and takes more spaces), waiting for more feedback on it
SRS
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
About summing quality, I'm feeling a nice bottom punch. Sonically I will say it lacks a bit of 3D and lack of frequencies on Voices.
This to me is subjective. The “bottom punch” is not something I would describe it as myself. And as far as 3D goes, I am not sure what that refers to, other that left/right and depth imaging? And once again I don’t hear that “lack” in any way at all. So far as “lack of frequencies on voices” again I do not hear that as a byproduct of the desk. Now mind you, this was a pretty straight forward run of stems (already pre-mixed by QSLPROD) so there was limited ability for the console to fully sum. Also, don’t forget, the files had to go through a D/A and a A/D conversion as well. My converters are (my opinion as well) some of the best (UA Apollo X16). Also once in the analog realm the signal goes through my patchbay (Switchcraft 9625) and I feel this is very clean. I didn’t hear much of any change in the sound compared to the original in a negative way. keep in mind that I did not have a mixed version already and only stems. What I did hear as a difference was as follows:

1. The mix from scratch ran through the conversion, patchbay and SSL XL Desk needed some mix adjustments. Once again, my opinion and this is subjective. QSLPROD provided the stems and has his vision of the mix. It just differed some from my vision as an outsider first listen.

2. I did run a “B” mix as well with minimal processing on the mix bus. A RND 542 pair, a Dangerous BAX with a bit of top end and the SSL Bus Comp. The mix was NOT mastered though. This brought (once again my opinion) the mix up a notch to give it more depth (RND 542 Silk Red engaged) and also a bit of sheen (Bax EQ) and then some much needed movement (SSL Bus Comp).

3. The song was all synth driven with highly effected stems including effected vocals. This lent (to me) to the need for further mix needed to bring separation of parts which was needed (3D???).

None of this is to be taken as criticism of QSLPROD’s mix or material. It was a fine test set of stems. Just not a true indication of what a console will do with a stem mix or otherwise. Once again and finally my opinion. I was glad to run it through the board nonetheless. Glad it helped QSLPROD form an opinion. And the Origin is certainly going to also be a nice console choice. Although I have not heard one yet. I’m sure it’s still an SSL.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
This to me is subjective. The “bottom punch” is not something I would describe it as myself. And as far as 3D goes, I am not sure what that refers to, other that left/right and depth imaging? And once again I don’t hear that “lack” in any way at all. So far as “lack of frequencies on voices” again I do not hear that as a byproduct of the desk. Now mind you, this was a pretty straight forward run of stems (already pre-mixed by QSLPROD) so there was limited ability for the console to fully sum. Also, don’t forget, the files had to go through a D/A and a A/D conversion as well. My converters are (my opinion as well) some of the best (UA Apollo X16). Also once in the analog realm the signal goes through my patchbay (Switchcraft 9625) and I feel this is very clean. I didn’t hear much of any change in the sound compared to the original in a negative way. keep in mind that I did not have a mixed version already and only stems. What I did hear as a difference was as follows:

1. The mix from scratch ran through the conversion, patchbay and SSL XL Desk needed some mix adjustments. Once again, my opinion and this is subjective. QSLPROD provided the stems and has his vision of the mix. It just differed some from my vision as an outsider first listen.

2. I did run a “B” mix as well with minimal processing on the mix bus. A RND 542 pair, a Dangerous BAX with a bit of top end and the SSL Bus Comp. The mix was NOT mastered though. This brought (once again my opinion) the mix up a notch to give it more depth (RND 542 Silk Red engaged) and also a bit of sheen (Bax EQ) and then some much needed movement (SSL Bus Comp).

3. The song was all synth driven with highly effected stems including effected vocals. This lent (to me) to the need for further mix needed to bring separation of parts which was needed (3D???).

None of this is to be taken as criticism of QSLPROD’s mix or material. It was a fine test set of stems. Just not a true indication of what a console will do with a stem mix or otherwise. Once again and finally my opinion. I was glad to run it through the board nonetheless. Glad it helped QSLPROD form an opinion. And the Origin is certainly going to also be a nice console choice. Although I have not heard one yet. I’m sure it’s still an SSL.

Thanks again for the test on my stems I agree with you, this my subjective feedback. I'm giving this feeling comparing to other summing box I've tested (with the same stems running on it) and you're , it can't be a perfect test as the sound is affected by converter for exemple.

Also SSL is known to be transparent so the lack of depth imaging is not an issue because we can easily add this. For me The XL desk is a nice desk. It's just a matter of tastes about the summing. The most important thing is the workflow and about this the XL desk is a no brainer with a lot of possibilities. Also I think this is a reliable desk which is important (made in uk
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Thanks to both of you the info/opinions

It is of course truly subjective but its good to hear all opinions too, just not to follow them blindly.

The best option of course is to drive to the store, throw one in the car and take it home to try it out ... unfortunately not an option for most. In a world like that .. there would be no GS
Old 9th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It would be nice if the marketing team at SSL would make more videos of this console and show how it sounds in action.
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Where did you purchase your desk for your console? I cant find a desk for the ssl xl desk anywhere.
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
SRS
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVegasatl ➡️
Where did you purchase your desk for your console? I cant find a desk for the ssl xl desk anywhere.
If you are asking me, it's a Sterling Modular. Made specifically to fit the XL Desk and it does well.
Old 2nd June 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
It would be nice if the marketing team at SSL would make more videos of this console and show how it sounds in action.
Hi Glenn, and everyone!

I'm truly amazed by this "dumb" console. I really love it and I'm about to buy one. Unfortunately, it dosen't seem very popular... Do you know if SSL shared some numbers about sellings?
Will get it for my private use and it's quite some money.
I really want to make sure it won't be discontinued soon. Just spent 4 years to save money for it.

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

So what's that pub story behind the sides?

Old 1 week ago | Show parent
SRS
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rearslum ➡️
So what's that pub story behind the sides?

Had not seen that video before. Interesting. Someone on the "inside" will have to answer that one. I never even thought about the side panels, other than they are quite stylish in appearance.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Had not seen that video before. Interesting. Someone on the "inside" will have to answer that one. I never even thought about the side panels, other than they are quite stylish in appearance.
I thought they were rather quirky, not surprised there's an inside story about them.
📝 Reply