The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hedd Type 20
Old 18th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Specs say 48db/oct crossovers, so these are DSP now? Quite a big change? 10ms for the Lineariser.
Old 19th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

It's just an active crossover, not a full dsp-based design.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy ➡️
It's just an active crossover, not a full dsp-based design.
Well I would say 48dB/oct smells like DSP spirit to me.

Looks like Klaus has had a change of mind on things too, he says 24dB/oct is enough here.

Quote:
A practical advantage of DSPs lies in the convenience of defining and typing in the filter- or EQ-values as well as the possibility to use very steep filters with up to 96 dB/octave (16th order). However, experience shows that a 24 dB/oct (or 4th order) filter is the maximum of what is needed for no compromise results, and that there is no real benefit from deeper filter steepness, as exciting as it may sound at a first glance.
Quote:
Steeper filter characteristics up to 96 dB/oct. (analog: typically not more than 24 dB/oct.). The effect of filters > 24 dB/oct is not relevant for designing filter networks within a speaker design
https://hedd.audio/dsp-or-not-to-dsp/
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by puriteaudio ➡️
Hedd introduce their Mark II range,
Hedd introduce their ‘mark II’ range of loudspeakers which include their lineariser.

Keith
Link? Are they linearizing phase with analog delays line ATC?
Purité Audio Ltd

🎧 5 years
Official launch on the 1St December, I rather let the cat out of the bag!
Keith
Old 20th November 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 0843dcb
Quote:
Originally Posted by puriteaudio ➡️
Official launch on the 1St December, I rather let the cat out of the bag!
Keith
Interesting stuff. Wondering if the "CoP" fetaure is only for the subwoofer range or extended to the monitors as well, and what the before/after frequency plots will looks like. The desire for an infinite baffle design for my own room was one of the factors that made me go in a different direction previously.
Old 21st November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 0843dcb ➡️
Interesting stuff. Wondering if the "CoP" fetaure is only for the subwoofer range or extended to the monitors as well, and what the before/after frequency plots will looks like. The desire for an infinite baffle design for my own room was one of the factors that made me go in a different direction previously.
As far as I understood from the leaked PDF the CoP feature is mainly for the monitors range. Don't know about the subs.
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Klaus Heinz (Founder/CEO of HEDD) Introducing HEDD Mark2 Studio Monitors and BASS 08 & 12 Subwoofers video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtM6eEtvO_E
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
Purité Audio Ltd

🎧 5 years
Yes officially launched today the new Hedd Mark II range.
https://hedd.link/MK2Videos

Keith
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hey guys, this might be a random question. I've tried researching this before but it seems it really depends on what monitor you are using. For the Type 20's do you think its okay to turn them off with a power strip instead of individually turning them off? I read somewhere that some monitors that have a delayed startup (like turning on slowly when you first switch it on) should only be turned on and off using the power button on the back. Thanks for any input.
Old 3rd March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKimchi ➡️
Hey guys, this might be a random question. I've tried researching this before but it seems it really depends on what monitor you are using. For the Type 20's do you think its okay to turn them off with a power strip instead of individually turning them off? I read somewhere that some monitors that have a delayed startup (like turning on slowly when you first switch it on) should only be turned on and off using the power button on the back. Thanks for any input.
If I remember correctly Hedd said it is no problem to shut them down using a power strip. But I would contact them directly to be sure. Just use their contact form at their website. They usually answer in 1-2 days.
Old 3rd March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ99 ➡️
If I remember correctly Hedd said it is no problem to shut them down using a power strip. But I would contact them directly to be sure. Just use their contact form at their website. They usually answer in 1-2 days.
Great, I’ll contact them. Thanks!

EDIT: Just heard back from them. They said power strip is fine!
Old 8th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy ➡️
I have them and they do excellent job as a compact 3-way nearfield. I did compare them to Neumann kh310, Dyn LYD48, Focal trio and Barefoot footprint 01 and decided to go with Type 20.

They are clinical (someway similar to PMC) very low distortion and fast transient response, so you'll find many mastered/released music show harshness & distortion in the mid/hi frequencies, but professional mixed & mastered music sounds just ok.

Haven't tried Amphion monitors but they are 2-way with passive radiator so it's a different concept.
I must be trippin becuase I have the hedd type 20s and theyre not clincal
Old 22nd June 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsle ➡️
I must be trippin becuase I have the hedd type 20s and theyre not clincal
I'm assuming you have the MK2s; how are you liking them? I have a smaller room so I'm wondering if the closed/ported integration is as promising as they make it seem
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcode ➡️
I'm assuming you have the MK2s; how are you liking them? I have a smaller room so I'm wondering if the closed/ported integration is as promising as they make it seem
There were just ok. After 3 weeks of testing and comparing I just didnt like them. Im actually sending back today. Theyre good for production but mixing vocals, they werent open sounding enough for me. I couldn't hear somethings like I could in other monitirs. I constantly found myself turning up the volume which is what I bought new monitors to avoid doing. They also sounded better/ more clear and precise around 2 meters away. My room wasnt big enough to have my mix location that far.
Deleted 26d6446
Quote:
There were just ok. After 3 weeks of testing and comparing I just didnt like them. Im actually sending back today. Theyre good for production but mixing vocals, they werent open sounding enough for me. I couldn't hear somethings like I could in other monitirs. I constantly found myself turning up the volume which is what I bought new monitors to avoid doing. They also sounded better/ more clear and precise around 2 meters away. My room wasnt big enough to have my mix location that far.
Was this with the mk2? I felt the same about the mk1 but I have to admit it still translated even though I couldn’t really hear it. I still think they’re clinical in a dull type of way, but didn’t have enough depth for me to get into it like the s3xh. It seemed to be more about what I’m used to rather the speakers actually lacking. To me they are weird speakers that somehow manages to be accurate in the end
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 26d6446 ➡️
Was this with the mk2? I felt the same about the mk1 but I have to admit it still translated even though I couldn’t really hear it. I still think they’re clinical in a dull type of way, but didn’t have enough depth for me to get into it like the s3xh. It seemed to be more about what I’m used to rather the speakers actually lacking. To me they are weird speakers that somehow manages to be accurate in the end
Yea the mk2 it was just lacking to me. Mixing beats sounded good. But critically hearing some elements in vocals which I could hear in cheeaper monitors threw me off. I was hoping these would be the ones. Now debating staying in the mid range area or moving up to psis are genelecs
Deleted 26d6446
Quote:
Yea the mk2 it was just lacking to me. Mixing beats sounded good. But critically hearing some elements in vocals which I could hear in cheeaper monitors threw me off. I was hoping these would be the ones. Now debating staying in the mid range area or moving up to psis are genelecs
Here’s the catch. Did you hear things on the cheaper speaker that was wrong in the vocals after you worked on the hedds? If not then that means the speaker makes life easier for you. Even though it was the case for me, vibe was more important than solving mix issues easily. There’s a difference between hearing... and the actual results. Sometimes there are things you just don’t need to hear.
Old 23rd June 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
interesting. Unfortunately, the room is limiting factor in the end, which is why I went for the KH310s. Hopefully they're the one for me, but it's all up in the air until they arrive.

thanks for letting me know
Old 7th July 2021
Lives for gear

Hedd, and more specific type 20 mk1, produce a lot of bass/low-mids but in a good way, so they really need a good room size and sitting between 1.5m to 2m. Otherwise, you'll feel the stereo image not quite right and you may struggle with balancing things.

They're quite similar to the Adams S3H, except that they sound much smoother and rounded in the hi-mids and top-end in comparison. sure the s3h can go a bit more louder.

But what I really love about T20 is the translation, seems perfect and I don't get any surprise when hearing the music in other speakers/locations. Specially if you mix a lot of acoustical stuff, you can get the tonal balance and character of the instruments nailed pretty quick with them.

And what I meant by clinical in my previous posts, is that the self distortion is really quite low, the speaker doesn't color the sound and you can hear and identify the ambiance of any recorded element very clearly. Also the balance and tonal doesn't change too much when you listening at low or high volumes. BUT they're not quite forward sounding, so you have to adjust to that, otherwise, your mixes may sound too forward and pokey.

I'm not sure if the mk2 performs any different, haven't tried them yet.
Old 8th July 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy;1553****
But what I really love about T20 is the translation, seems perfect and I don't get any surprise when hearing the music in other speakers/locations. Specially if you mix a lot of acoustical stuff, you can get the tonal balance and character of the instruments nailed pretty quick with them.

And what I meant by clinical in my previous posts, is that the self distortion is really quite low, the speaker doesn't color the sound and you can hear and identify the ambiance of any recorded element very clearly. Also the balance and tonal doesn't change too much when you listening at low or high volumes. BUT they're not quite forward sounding, so you have to adjust to that, otherwise, your mixes may sound too forward and pokey.
Your description of the 20 exactly corresponds to my take on the 30. Very easy to hear what's going on but not through any hyping. And definitely not forward-sounding, which I think counts against them in superficial A-B comparisons.
Old 18th July 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt ➡️
Your description of the 20 exactly corresponds to my take on the 30. Very easy to hear what's going on but not through any hyping. And definitely not forward-sounding, which I think counts against them in superficial A-B comparisons.
Yeah people who like forward and/or dry speakers seem to dislike Hedds
📝 Reply