The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Requisite Pal Plus?
Old 10th May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Requisite Pal Plus?

What is your opinion / experiences with this preamp-compressor?
How is the sound?
Thanks!
Old 13th May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIDBILL ➡️
How is the sound?
Thanks!
I've owned 4, and they are IMHO amazingly natural and open beyond anything out there, mine are down .5db at 50Khz. True Class A power for the tubes, unlike almost every other piece of pro audio gear. They have a modern LA2A in them and sound very 3D and alive, they became my goto units for open natural vocals, team them with a vintage sounding mic and watch the mic open up in ways you can never imagine.

I'm a HUGE Requisite fan and I consider them at the top of the pro audio tube equipment pyramid, just above the likes DW Fearn, Pendulum Audio, and Manley.

Danny does not advertise or more would know of my top secret Requisite tools, lol. Every time I showed up at studio's with them it was "why do you have those, we have all the top gear"..... 2 hours later it was always "I can't believe what I'm hearing", lol.

So I can't recommend them enough if open in a beautiful 3D natural way is what you are after in a channel strip.
Old 13th May 2018

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Danny is one of the best guys, his equipment is at the top of the heep. Highly recommend.

You can thank Danny for the article on the history of Electrodyne, Quad Eight and Sphere Ashe was the one who sent 4 of the Warner Brothers Q8 MM310 modules to me. In turn I ended up selling all my Neve 1073’s (my BCM10) because of those modules.

Danny knows tube design, he is king of that, fanatical actually. I love that about him. I’d take one of his Opto’s any day over anyone else’s. Same with his tube pre’s. I am a big fan.

Hope this helps.
Old 13th May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, Danny is special and very very very very very underappreciated. In 30 years time I also believe Requisite gear will be considered holy grail pro audio gear that people worship, lol.
Old 13th May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Danny is the man! I own two PAL+ mk2s, and one PAL+ mk1 with the internal power supply. They are the best optical compressors I have ever used hands down (a modern improved LA2A is a perfect way to describe it imho), and the preamp is as good as anything I have used. My pair of PAL+ mk2s are on my mix bus 90% of the time, usually in combination with a foote P3S. The output gain on the compressor sounds ridiculously good for make up gain in the chain. The build quality is fantastic as well. Danny is as nice as they come, and has been quick to respond to any questions I have ever had
Old 16th December 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hello all you Requisite Audio users
I have a chance to buy a PAL mk II
So I am trying to get some info on folowing details
What sort of tubes are you guys using and how oftendo you change them ?
Can this unit use the tube power supply if I find or order one from Danny ?
any tips on how to evaluate the units condition?
Thank You !
Old 16th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 40f8471 ➡️
Lucky you.

Quote:
There are 5 tubes of 4 different models, I've always bought mine from Danny as he sorts the best for his designs. I end up replacing mine once every 10 years.

Quote:
I believe the powe supply MkII is solid state but Danny will know for sure.

Quote:
Thank You !
I suggest you send the unit to Danny and let him clean it up and bring it up to new spec, you'll have at least 10 years of service from it after.
Old 17th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo ➡️
Lucky you.

I am wondering about the difference between the Mk II and III
Danny told me there is no way of upgrading II to III and that he is mot making these in the near future due to concentrating on manufacturing hs headphones - so I thought best to grab this then forever search for a MK III

There are 5 tubes of 4 different models, I've always bought mine from Danny as he sorts the best for his designs. I end up replacing mine once every 10 years.

the guy who is selling told me he replaced them 4 years ago

I suggest you send the unit to Danny and let him clean it up and bring it up to new spec, you'll have at least 10 years of service from it after.
would love to do it but since I live in the middle east...

thank you
Old 17th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Anyone knows the difference between the Mk II and Mk III ?
Old 20th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udi Koomran ➡️
So I am trying to get some info on folowing details
Thank You !
Did you end up buying it? Let us know how the story evolves! I've always lusted after this piece. As a producer who primarily engineers vocals (myself and others) and who has made do with (super useful and totally fine) UA gear for the past couple of years, I find myself back in the saddle looking for a great preamp/compressor combo unit. Would love to see how this turns out for you!

Also, this is my first post in 9 years! Nice to be back and posting on another 15 year vet's thread after an epic hiatus.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAngel ➡️
Did you end up buying it? Let us know how the story evolves! I've always lusted after this piece. As a producer who primarily engineers vocals (myself and others) and who has made do with (super useful and totally fine) UA gear for the past couple of years, I find myself back in the saddle looking for a great preamp/compressor combo unit. Would love to see how this turns out for you!

Also, this is my first post in 9 years! Nice to be back and posting on another 15 year vet's thread after an epic hiatus.
heh heh
I am on my way to evaluate the unit
I am taking my NPNG pre and an acoustic and bass with me
planing to record and compare to see how the pre and hi z input sound
then will pass some raw drum and acousticbass recording to test the compressor
will report
Old 20th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Would love to hear the PAL if any owners/users would be willing to share a sound example or two
Old 20th December 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
OK So I tested an acoustic guitar with the PAl Vs. NPNG
Here is a link
The last sample I switched mics cause these are not matched
The PAL sounds fuller it has a low mid warmth the is abscent in the NPNG
IThe guy saw i was serious and offred me to take them for a weekend to try it out at my place
I am planing to recoed some vocals and perhaps some viola and bass

https://we.tl/t-1hZNlVs80P
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Oh I also noticed that the PAL responses to a hi shelf EQ I applied in a more pleasing manner - it just sounded more focused and the added brightness was smooth and made the guitar appear more focused
Old 28th December 2020 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
OK So I tested an acoustic guitar with the PAl Vs. NPNG
Here is a link
The last sample I switched mics cause these are not matched
The PAL sounds fuller it has a low mid warmth the is abscent in the NPNG
IThe guy saw i was serious and offred me to take them for a weekend to try it out at my place
I am planing to recoed some vocals and perhaps some viola and bass

https://we.tl/t-1hZNlVs80P
Im curious about the vocals through PAL preamp. Please post them when you are done. Thanks!
Old 28th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
we have just entered lockdown so...
will take time
Old 31st December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Udi - your WeTransfer expired. Can you post the recording again?
Old 31st December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
https://we.tl/t-6HhJsRwvz6
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I just compared PAL3 and NPNG 3, since its the same performance, how did you mic it and what was the rest of your chain?

the NPNG has more transient power has less low end thickness, seems a bit colder and harder but could also be described as more compact and tighter/focused in the broad midrange. the PAL would be a nice fit if just a vocal or sparse arrangement is added to the guitar. more mellow, nice open shimmery topend, with a bit more room in the midrange for things like vocals.
thanks for posting
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
2 Neumann U 87
The A/D was a Crane Song Hedd

The last pair of samples I switched the mics - to unveil the Uniformity - they are far from identical or matched ...
Next test will try to do with a Radial mic splitter box

as I wrote the PAL seemed to react much nicer to a high shelf eq - it retained focus with absolutely no shrill which I can't say about the NPNG
Next time I will be more prepared and methodical
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ___GLM___ ➡️
how did you mic it and what was the rest of your chain?
placed the 2 mics membranes as close as I could to each other ( time-align plug in showed 7 samples offset )
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thank you for reposting, Udi!

I hear a very strong win the in the Pal+ column. The overall sonic signature is night and day for me - the Pal+ is euphonic. GLM's description of the NPNG in this shoot out sounding "colder and harder" describes what I'm hearing. The Pal+ sounds palpably sweeter, open, and radiant - really the signature I was hoping to hear.

I feel obliged to toss in a quick extra $.02...

...neither of these are acoustic guitar sounds that I'd personally find usable in a finished tracking session - there's a combination of boxiness, distance, and lack of detail that I hear across all of the clips.

Clearly you've got a ton of experience under your belt from reading your credits, so I'm sure that you're just throwing something up quickly and not looking for record-quality results for this evaluation... but if that's not the case - I'd say that there are more pressing concerns than the gear being A/B'd.

Last thing I'll say is that I have a feeling Mic B is a lot more to my liking than Mic A, but I think my ears are good enough to hear the Pal+'s signature through that.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAngel ➡️
Thank you for reposting, Udi!

...neither of these are acoustic guitar sounds that I'd personally find usable in a finished tracking session - there's a combination of boxiness, distance, and lack of detail that I hear across all of the clips.

Clearly you've got a ton of experience under your belt from reading your credits, so I'm sure that you're just throwing something up quickly and not looking for record-quality results for this evaluation... t.
heh heh its just me fumbling with a guitar that was there in that guys room
we are lucky I didn't try and sing...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Got it! Well, good enough in order to let the signatures of those two boxes come through really strong I think!
Old 20th January 2021

🎧 5 years
Could you do a vocal comparison of PAL?
Thanks!
Old 20th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno. ➡️
Could you do a vocal comparison of PAL?
Thanks!
lockdown doesn't allow me to take the unit for evaluation
once its over will report back
Old 9th October 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIDBILL ➡️
How is the sound?
Thanks!
I’m looking to purchase a Pal Plus MK III
Anyone ?
Thanks
Old 9th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I’m looking to purchase a Pal Plus MK III
Anyone ?
Thanks
Grab one!
Old 9th October 2021
Gear Head

Had a L2M with a very noisy channel.
Our tech didn’t find the culprit. Requisite was not forthcoming at all. He just blamed it on grounding (something our guru tech with 40 years of experience laughed off). Requisite stopped replying.
The unit ended up on the shelf. Thousands of dollars for nothing. Have never had such a bad experience with a piece of gear before or after. No help.
Old 9th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enarht ➡️
Had a L2M with a very noisy channel.
Our tech didn’t find the culprit. Requisite was not forthcoming at all. He just blamed it on grounding (something our guru tech with 40 years of experience laughed off). Requisite stopped replying.
The unit ended up on the shelf. Thousands of dollars for nothing. Have never had such a bad experience with a piece of gear before or after. No help.
Since your LM2 is bad and on the shelf from your bad experience, how much can I buy it from you for?
📝 Reply