The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Serban Ghenea Mixes - all ITB?
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by utters ➡️
Thanks for that. I think I actually remember reading some of those posts and forgot about them... doh.
No worries!

For future ref I entered a variation of

"thehanes + printing + stems site:gearspace.com" and searching this thread for the same terms to pull up those results

Probably a good idea for everyone to try before asking a question at this point as so much has been covered over the past few months!
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarantinebeats ➡️
Check out this exchange

Serban Ghenea Mixes - all ITB?
Thanks,
i remember this one perfectly, in fact i think i printed the whole Q&A + this thread in a dedicated place somewhere in my brain

No Clue in there about ML4000 crossover points setting (apart not moving them ever) though
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack ➡️
No Clue in there about ML4000 crossover points setting (apart not moving them ever) though
Well, when I read John's reply I got the sense that "This is as much as I'm willing to share about how we use this tool, it's up to you to figure out the rest", not "ask me specific questions about my settings" but maybe I'm off on that one!
Gear Maniac

Indeed, that was the "deal" all along. We ask questions, John answers up to a certain point.

I learned a huge lot from this thread an the Q&A in parallel with carefully examining John and Serban's work (to the point that my girlfriend is like "listening to 24K Magic again???"). Without any exaggeration, what I could not achieve in the past 2 years I achieved in more or less half a year since I follow this thread. I applied all these concepts, I had some major personal break-throughs and also major fails after experimenting for weeks many hours a day. And I think this approach had a huge impact in training my ears for critical listening.

I not only learned new concepts and unlearned useless ones (or myths), but my practical mixing abilities right now are over the minimum treshold for release-able electronic music. I can proudly show my work without worrying that my mixes are substandard.

If John had shared his own chain or settings with exact values and whatnot and I used them one year ago, I am convinced I could not make any major difference because my critical listening skill was basically inexistent.

John can't do the journey for each one us, but he's kind enough to provide a very informative map

Quote:
Well, when I read John's reply I got the sense that "This is as much as I'm willing to share about how we use this tool, it's up to you to figure out the rest", not "ask me specific questions about my settings" but maybe I'm off on that one!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sircuit ➡️
Indeed, that was the "deal" all along. We ask questions, John answers up to a certain point.

I learned a huge lot from this thread an the Q&A in parallel with carefully examining John and Serban's work (to the point that my girlfriend is like "listening to 24K Magic again???"). Without any exaggeration, what I could not achieve in the past 2 years I achieved in more or less half a year since I follow this thread. I applied all these concepts, I had some major personal break-throughs and also major fails after experimenting for weeks many hours a day. And I think this approach had a huge impact in training my ears for critical listening.

I not only learned new concepts and unlearned useless ones (or myths), but my practical mixing abilities right now are over the minimum treshold for release-able electronic music. I can proudly show my work without worrying that my mixes are substandard.

If John had shared his own chain or settings with exact values and whatnot and I used them one year ago, I am convinced I could not make any major difference because my critical listening skill was basically inexistent.

John can't do the journey for each one us, but he's kind enough to provide a very informative map
That’s actually the point - they could share absolutely everything up to the last plugin, it’s not gonna change the immediate outcome for all reading this thread.

But this sharing definitely helps to learn the right stuff and develop the right skills.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
What I learned from this thread is, instead of consciously training your ear, learn to judge subconsciously AND CHOOSE THE RIGHT TOOLS. John gave all the clues for his mixbus chain. Those who experimented and thought about John's answers already got it.
Gear Maniac

IMHO in many cases a subconscious reaction is usually what started as a conscious reaction but was practices thousands of times.

It’s nice explanation at the link below, John is obviosly at stage 4. I am somewhere between 2 & 3

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four..._of_competence

"Unconscious competence: The individual has had so much practice with a skill that it has become "second nature" and can be performed easily. As a result, the skill can be performed while executing another task." - at this point is pretty obvious how they manage to do that volume of work: they mix a song while they mix another song
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by akashpmp ➡️
What I learned from this thread is, instead of consciously training your ear, learn to judge subconsciously AND CHOOSE THE RIGHT TOOLS. John gave all the clues for his mixbus chain. Those who experimented and thought about John's answers already got it.
True you got to know your tools! I just saw that tc released the system 6000 in native version, I went cray, I was about to change my whole workflow... Spend money that I don' have! Then I remember what John said about tools and familiarity, I let it goooooooo
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Special Guest

Quote:
This is pretty much my feeling. If I just tell you setting, you dont' learn as much. It a 'give a man a fish, teach a man to fish' situation.

Plus it's nice to hold something back, have something that is our process and not have everyone copying exactly.
Special Guest

Quote:

Well said!
Special Guest

Quote:
IMHO in many cases a subconscious reaction is usually what started as a conscious reaction but was practices thousands of times.

It’s nice explanation at the link below, John is obviosly at stage 4. I am somewhere between 2 & 3

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four..._of_competence

"Unconscious competence: The individual has had so much practice with a skill that it has become "second nature" and can be performed easily. As a result, the skill can be performed while executing another task." - at this point is pretty obvious how they manage to do that volume of work: they mix a song while they mix another song
This is fascinating! Yes, I believe that I'd be in stage 4 for working on audio.
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by temnov ➡️
That’s actually the point - they could share absolutely everything up to the last plugin, it’s not gonna change the immediate outcome for all reading this thread.

But this sharing definitely helps to learn the right stuff and develop the right skills.
Yes, thank you! Well said.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ TheHanes

If you guy's were approached by a popular software company to create a plugin what would it do and what would it be called?
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethem ➡️
@ TheHanes

If you guy's were approached by a popular software company to create a plugin what would it do and what would it be called?
We (well Serban) has been approached by a few. His feeling, and I concur, is that there isn't a gap in the market that we can see and would fill.

Now for me, I would like a utility plugin that can read the settings for any plugin, past or present, and give a readout for it; even if it is not present in the plugins folder, an older version of a plugin etc. It would also be able to extract any automation settings for a missing plugin.

I have to think of a name; maybe the 'Digital Penetrator'!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHanes ➡️
We (well Serban) has been approached by a few. His feeling, and I concur, is that there isn't a gap in the market that we can see and would fill.

Now for me, I would like a utility plugin that can read the settings for any plugin, past or present, and give a readout for it; even if it is not present in the plugins folder, an older version of a plugin etc. It would also be able to extract any automation settings for a missing plugin.

If Digital Penetrator doesn't work, you could call it the 'mix fingerflucker.'
Old 23 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHanes ➡️

Tell me about yourself.....

"I'm a gearslut and love the digital penetrator"
Old 5 hours ago
Here for the gear

Hi John, I'm a beginner still and I look up to you guys because you mixed all my favorite songs, I love the sound!

I was wondering how important is the D/A conversion in mixing (for you or generally)? I was planning to upgrade my interface to a high end interface with better D/A converters, in hopes it allows me to hear compression/EQ changes/imaging more clearly. I was going to get an RME ADI-2 PRO FS, since I recently got good monitors on a deal (Adam A7Xs). But maybe it's too much and not needed to get great mixes?

Also do you ever make mixing decisions on cheaper monitoring systems, like listening to it on your phone and noticing something to go back and change it?

I also had a question about a song. you said mixes from max martin come to you guys almost complete already. I was wondering if it was the same for BTS - Dynamite mix, or did you guys do alot of enhancement to the vocals on that one? The high-end is amazing without being fatiguing at all, I'm so amazed by it every time I listen, even on hyped headphones the highs are still crystal clear and sound amazing.

Thanks for doing this thread, I had been reading it for a few days and I'm so hyped to put into practice alot of the advice you gave!
📝 Reply