Serban Ghenea Mixes - all ITB? - Page 110 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Serban Ghenea Mixes - all ITB?
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHanes ➡️
So what I'm doing is re-creating the Stereo Mix Buss on a 7.1.2 Aux. That works for the beds which are a 7.1.2 channel bed. Anything in these beds is running through the Aux with all the Mix Buss plugins on it.

I also have to create at stereo Mix Buss on 2-channel Aux tracks for each Object pair that I'm using.

I'm then using the main 7.1.2 bed channels to send to keyed compressors on each of the other Object Mix Busses; this is how they all glue together.
Hi John,

Could you explain a bit more how do you sidechain all the buss compressors?

What mix are you sending to the sidechain of these compressors and how do you route it to make it all work?

Thanks again for your help
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes I was being a bit flippant on the 'dead end' of 5.1.
The first half of my post was not trying to make a point of you exaggerating your view, but more to present a situation/dilemma which for sure will be a position various artists/labels find themselves in now Atmos has broad support. So apologies if that didn't come across as such. Thanks for your elaborate answer, as usual!
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

@ TheHanes You have changed my life with this thread. I don't think you understand. In my eyes, you're the GOAT!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by santibanks ➡️
The first half of my post was not trying to make a point of you exaggerating your view, but more to present a situation/dilemma which for sure will be a position various artists/labels find themselves in now Atmos has broad support. So apologies if that didn't come across as such. Thanks for your elaborate answer, as usual!
No worries; I didn't take it that way.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by american ➡️
Hi John,

Could you explain a bit more how do you sidechain all the buss compressors?

What mix are you sending to the sidechain of these compressors and how do you route it to make it all work?

Thanks again for your help
Towards the end of my Atmos mix, I'm committing my 7.1.2 master fader (do nothing)

So it is not a 'live' mix going to the Sidechain, but a committed rendition of the mix.

I'll then set that output to no output, and use a send to MF Sidechain. That MF Sidechain is then picked up by compressors on the individual object 'aux masters'.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid ➡️
@ TheHanes You have changed my life with this thread. I don't think you understand. In my eyes, you're the GOAT!
Here for the gear

Just dropping by to applaud John on his mixes for the new Donny Osmond album. Just listened to them today and, per usual, they’re immaculate. I know you’ve explained your mixing workflow in the past, but for the life of me I’ll never understand how you pull it off (ESPECIALLY the vocals). Thank you for all your contributions!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Towards the end of my Atmos mix, I'm committing my 7.1.2 master fader (do nothing)

So it is not a 'live' mix going to the Sidechain, but a committed rendition of the mix.

I'll then set that output to no output, and use a send to MF Sidechain. That MF Sidechain is then picked up by compressors on the individual object 'aux masters'.
Thanks a million, John!!!
If I understand right, as you are adding the sidechaining compression towards the end, that means that most of the time you are mixing with the objects compressing in a different way than when the SC is on?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by american ➡️
Thanks a million, John!!!
If I understand right, as you are adding the sidechaining compression towards the end, that means that most of the time you are mixing with the objects compressing in a different way than when the SC is on?
Yes that is correct. I could probably do it sooner than later and avoid some level change issues.

This is not the only compressor on the 'object aux master' so it is really only doing maybe a couple of dB of compression at the most when keyed to the main mix.

It all goes back to how the gain structure is set up. If it is set up the way I like it, then there are not drastic differences with compressor keyed or not keyed.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofthewoods ➡️
Just dropping by to applaud John on his mixes for the new Donny Osmond album. Just listened to them today and, per usual, they’re immaculate. I know you’ve explained your mixing workflow in the past, but for the life of me I’ll never understand how you pull it off (ESPECIALLY the vocals). Thank you for all your contributions!
thanks!
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear
Hi John, super quick question if you’ve got time.
If you get a song on to mix which requires remedial repair work (vocal tuning, editing etc) does that happen in the session that gets mixed, or in a ‘pre-mix’ session that gets committed by your assistant?

Also curious if, when you get an Atmos+stereo job in, does the workflow always involve finishing the stereo first then moving on to Atmos, or are you sometimes working on both formats concurrently.

Apologies if these have been answered before - community members - please feel free to direct me to the relevant posts if they have.

Thanks again John - we all really appreciate you sharing your wisdom.
Old 18 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys B Downing ➡️
Hi John, super quick question if you’ve got time.
If you get a song on to mix which requires remedial repair work (vocal tuning, editing etc) does that happen in the session that gets mixed, or in a ‘pre-mix’ session that gets committed by your assistant?

Also curious if, when you get an Atmos+stereo job in, does the workflow always involve finishing the stereo first then moving on to Atmos, or are you sometimes working on both formats concurrently.

Apologies if these have been answered before - community members - please feel free to direct me to the relevant posts if they have.

Thanks again John - we all really appreciate you sharing your wisdom.
Rhys,

The repair work gets done in the session for mixing, just so that if we need to go back and revise a fix, it is easier to do. We don't have assistants; well that kind of has changed now, but either Serban or I would be doing that kind of repair work at this time.

Atmos mix should always be done after the main mix has been mastered, because that mastered mix is what must be matched. If they do any editing, crossfading, change length of the song in mastering, the Atmos mix must match that timing exactly.
Old 12 hours ago
Here for the gear

@ TheHanes

Hi John. Is serial compression a common practice in your workflow? If so, what are the main reasons that would lead you to set two compressors instead of one?

Thanks for your time!
📝 Reply