Quantcast
trailer voice - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
trailer voice
Old 22nd October 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years
trailer voice

anyone know that "sound" thats in all the movie trailers... i dont have any right now to study but need that "effect". im assuming a lot of proximity effect, but is there something "else" on the vox that makes it so freakin fat? [aside from having a deep voice]
Old 22nd October 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Frank Zappa-esque chorusing ala "The Muffin Man" from Bongo Fury?
Old 23rd October 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
my opinion...

90% plus is the voice talent.
Old 23rd October 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years
yeah... but whats in that other 10%?
Old 23rd October 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
In my room its a Brauner Valvet into the MP2-NV through an 1176 into pro tools...

It seems to me that, in the states, most of this work is done by only a handful of voice guys in NYC and LA. I did some trailers for Miramax with the above rig and they were very happy. The talent worked stuff out of that mic that was pretty amazing. Pipes, breath control, attitude and directability really made it happen, and that all came from the talent.
Old 23rd October 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years
so it is fully dry?
Old 23rd October 2002
Founder

I can do it - but it cracks me up!
heh
I used a Nemann M149

I did an ansaphone message for the office upstairs from me (some car business) it was a freebie / favor.

They liked my weird transatlantic accent (?)

So while I was looking straight at them through the glass my assistant 'rolled tape'.

In the deepest raspy trailer voice I said:

"Two men, one office, and a LARGE POT of vaseleen! Gay sex!"

Looking at them, "how was that?"

It cracked my assistant up too!

I finally was able to stop laughing enough to get their message done about 20 mins later...

heh

I can do that voice, but for only a short time, it make me feel ill, it feels sort of like 'burping on demand' (another underused skill of mine) crossed with Tibetan throat chanting. You talk but with very little air 'velocity' coming out of your mouth.

Old 23rd October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It can sometimes help to add a very short stereo ddl.. ( panned hard left and right) maybe a few mls diff on each side. Not enough to even come close hearing the delay, then roll off a bunch of top from the the delay and ta da.. lots o bigness.. ( for me anyway.. YMMV)
Old 23rd October 2002
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Sennheiser 416 short shotgun mic is what all the big cats are using...some large Neumann's too but mostly the 416...peace john
Old 23rd October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sennheiser shotgunns...the 416..and now the MKH60 are the mics of choice...oddly..almost all feature trailers feature only a few v/o talent..and they pedal their butts all over town
Old 23rd October 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years
yeah... i know its just a couple guys doing it. i hear the same voices in most trailers. side note: i actually thought that would be a cool job to have [anyone who has heard my voice might just agree i could do it]

a shotgun mic... thats interesting... wouldnt of thought of that. i was planning on a LD condensor right up on it.
Old 23rd October 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Add anothe vote for the Sennheiser 416. One of the voiceover guys we've used carries his own with him.

Dave
Old 23rd October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
yeah... but whats in that other 10%?
That's the voice talent too.

Rick Krizman
KrizManic Music
Old 23rd October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
yeah... i know its just a couple guys doing it. i hear the same voices in most trailers. side note: i actually thought that would be a cool job to have [anyone who has heard my voice might just agree i could do it]

a shotgun mic... thats interesting... wouldnt of thought of that. i was planning on a LD condensor right up on it.
To say it's a cool job is an understatement. Your agent makes all your appointments, you drive around in your limo from session to session, do your 15 minutes, then go home and have a swim in your Olympic sized pool in the back yard of your Malibu villa. Meanwhile some poor schmuck like me is off trying to imitate the big-money orchestral temp score, using samples and a guitar player on a frank n' beans budget.

Yes, the 416 is quite popular, but not my fave. I shot it out against a TLM 103, U-67, an old 414 and a 414-TLII, with various preamps (API, UA 2-160, Avalon 737, Jim Williams modded Trident, DRS-2) and ended up liking the TLM 103 through the DRS-2 on my voice. But it didn't matter, because I'm not "the guy". I swear, he could use 2 tin cans and a string and it would still soud like him.

In fact, all the first rate voiceover talents I've worked with have impressed me with their almost supernatural vocal presence and charismatic delivery, that will override any particular recording chain you may choose. In fact, for a Mattel toy (talking Mr. Potato Head) we recorded the talent for 3 days using the cheapest 57-like dynamic mic we could find,in a bone-dry booth to band limit the recording and reduce any artifacts, because the result was going to be bit-reduced to fit on the toy's chip. Didn't matter.

Rick Krizman
KrizManic Music
Old 23rd October 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Talent definitely is a big part of it.

I do a lot of voiceover related work, and I'll have corporate clients that don't want to use professional talent because of the $$$, and I always have to explain that it will cost them the same amount if not more to use an amateur because of all the extra editing I'll have to do. Plus the pros just sound better because they know how to work a mic and their voice together. They're also used to sight-reading and can shoot through scripts with a minimal of takes.

It's always nicer to do multiple takes to get a different feel and not to fix mistakes.

Dave
Old 23rd October 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules

sort of like 'burping on demand' (another underused skill of mine) crossed with Tibetan throat chanting. You talk but with very little air 'velocity' coming out of your mouth.
I'll CRUSH you in a belching contest!!!
grggt grggt grggt RRROOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPP !!!
Old 26th October 2002
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
you are absolutely right...anything you put in ftont of Don L. will sound like Don. He had a Manley Reference Tube at his house but right next to it was a 416...If I remember right it went into a Mackie and straight into his ISDN Zepher...MacGuiver could have made him sound good with 2 toothpicks and a stick of juicyfruit...
Old 27th October 2002
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
A friend of mine frequently works in one of the studios along the strip in Burbank where most of them are recorded and mixed. The gear was utterly simple, a Mackie 8 buss, a U-87, an RE-20 and some old DAW system I hadn't seen before that was about to be replaced with Pro tools.

I'm told that it's ALL about the voice talent and getting the jobs is all about being walking distance from the other places where they do that kind of work.
Old 27th October 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Kent
P.S. Still considering moving out of state, Alpha?
i think i am going to stay here for a while, although i am putting my house up for sale and buying something closer in town and paying in cash... not having a mortgage and owning a house is fairly exciting, although i will lose my studio. but im going to make a remote setup for tracking and set up a mix room in the new house. save money for a while and then open up a place with a nice big live room and big control room.
Old 18th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Congrats to me for the oldest bump of a thread!

I'm actually trying to get this as the main vocal sound! (crazy i know)

Any tips other than 'it's the talent'. Any EQ hotspots, plugs that have been invented since 2002? mics? I'm using a tlm49

This thread is a great read btw
Fezzle
Yep, Don Le Fontaine + Tube mic up close
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
RIP Don ... nice guy ... he had a Manley Ref Mic and a 416 at his place ...

"In a World Full of Disaster, One Man Stands Alone ... " i can hear him now ..

cheers
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've voiced several trailers and normally use a 416 thru a 737 at my home studio. However, for the last one I did, just a couple of weeks ago, which was a heavy death and destruction style trailer and recorded at a studio in the area, they set me up on a Neumann TLM 193 thru a Digi/Avid mic pre. I was a bit unbelieving at first but it ended up sounding great. Last fall I voiced the trailer for the Thomas the Tank Engine movie...very light-hearted-keep the kids happy style read. The studio where we did that one used a TLM103 thru a John Hardy. I've voiced several on a 70's series U87/Great River combo too. Contrary to popular belief there seems to be no "standard" set up in the local studios for trailer style reads. Each room has it's own preferred rig that sounds best in their booth, along with a couple of options, but they generally stick with the same set up for most sessions because they know how to get the sound they want from that rig in that room. Just a few examples of the variety in systems out there for the same application. My take on it is;

98% is the voice
02 % is the gear
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicl ➑️
Any tips other than 'it's the talent'.
Sorry....almost 10 years and ton's of technology later......it's STILL the talent. heh I suppose if you have a wimpy voice, proximity effect is your friend. Beyond that......talent.
Old 19th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Most of the trailers I'm seeing nowadays don't even have narrators, seems to be the trend. The characters do all the talking, and whatever a narrator would do is words typed on the screen instead.

Seems like it started happening more after the great LaFontaine passed, don't know if that has anything to do with it..
Old 19th July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I cut trailers as my day job.

drBill is right- it's all "talent". I put that in qutoes because you either have a voice or not. If you're close, you can work on it, but if you don't have a voice, nothing's gonna help.

The VO record chain is always different and does not matter. Sad but true.
Old 20th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike333 ➑️
I cut trailers as my day job.

drBill is right- it's all "talent". I put that in qutoes because you either have a voice or not. If you're close, you can work on it, but if you don't have a voice, nothing's gonna help.

The VO record chain is always different and does not matter. Sad but true.
Thank you! The recent trend of the ubiquitis 416 is nearing an end. (I hope) It sounds awful.

Yes there are many trailers being done without narration...it's hard to replace an Icon....However, there are a couple of people out there that can make a trailer sing....not me....Don Morrow is one of them and unless I am mistaken the two of them were very good friends.

PEACE!
Old 20th July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I always assumed that the reason a 416 was used so often, was that it was a standard location mic. Consequently it was used for ADR so the sound would match. So there was always one around and became a de-facto standard for film/narration/VO work.
Old 21st July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceactor ➑️
The recent trend of the ubiquitis 416 is nearing an end. (I hope) It sounds awful. PEACE!
Some can make a 416 sound good and some can't. It definitely requires
more focus from the talent on staying in the sweet spot. But having done more VO's than I can count on both the 416 and the U87, and having compared tracks from both via playback in other rooms, I've found that if processed correctly, the difference between the two is minimal and I doubt if the average listener out there in audience land could tell the difference. In my use of the two it really depends on what type of read it is and which mic works better for that particular read. Lately the 416 has been on the boom and the U87 has been in the corner waiting for an up close and personal VO session.
Old 22nd July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I compose and produce a lot of music for TV show promos and trailers and have sat in on several VO sessions with the late great Don LaFontaine at the mic. I can tell you 100% (not 90%) that it's entirely the talent. Most of the post houses I've been in don't use anything fancy, usually a U87 and clean signal path. Those guys just have the pipes.

Also worth mentioning is that these guys have incredible internal clocks. It's not an easy task reciting a script putting all the breaks in around the soundbites and sfx. I once remember seeing Don read a 60 second narration and his first read came in a couple seconds over. He asked how far he was over, said roll it to the top and the next pass was exactly on the money not flubbing a single word. It might seem like easy work, but a lot of these guys really are amazing talents.
πŸ“ Reply