The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ATC SCM45 vs. SCM50
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ATC SCM45 vs. SCM50

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda..
I am familiar with the sound of ATC speakers and love them to bits.
I am however considering if I'd go with SCM45 or SCM50...
Since the SCM45 are still kinda new, I dont find much info about that comparisson online.
So I am gratefull for all reports of experience of similar decisions and so on.

thanks
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The scm50 has a slightly better midrange driver and SL bass driver.

The 45 have the double 7" "regular" bass drivers and the midrange as in the 25's.

They're both very good imho, and there's not a huge difference, despite the 45 having more noticeable bass imho.

If I were you I'd consider the scm100 (with the 12" SL driver) or the 45's.

It's a matter of budget afterall, but at this level I'd try to demo them in your place and decide with YOUR ears and even more important in YOUR room which plays a considerable role when choosing a loudspeaker.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To be honest, I really don’t like SCM100s. But love 50s, 110s and 150s. I would take 50s anyday over 45s and 100s. Imho they are the best balanced ATCs apart from 110s.
Old 17th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 ➡️
.. and there's not a huge difference, despite the 45 having more noticeable bass imho.
I was wondering about that since bass plays an important role in my music (dance-music) ..
The ATC homepage states that the SCM45 has -6dB @ 42Hz and the SCM50 has -6dB @38 Hz.. that's somewhat contradictorily to what you said
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost ➡️
I was wondering about that since bass plays an important role in my music (dance-music) ..
The ATC homepage states that the SCM45 has -6dB @ 42Hz and the SCM50 has -6dB @38 Hz.. that's somewhat contradictorily to what you said
SCM50 definitely extend lower, but are much tighter. SCM45 give impression of more bass, because they are slightly less clean and tight.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex ➡️
SCM50 definitely extend lower, but are much tighter. SCM45 give impression of more bass, because they are slightly less clean and tight.
Yep.. with the 50's you have a different feel indeed..the perception (PERCEPTION) is to feel less bass.. but since it's less distorted you have the IMPRESSION that is bass light (in some room especially).

They're not much different from a sound signature point of view.. and they all translate great imho.

and as you could see it's really subjective... Jantex prefer the 50's and I prefer the 100's..

I also happen to like a well soffit mounted 110 and 200

So as said I suggest you test them in your room, since the investment is rather substantial and also room dependent.

Cheu
Old 19th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I agree with most of what has been said.
When I heard and saw the 45's, nothing gave away that they're still kind of new.
Form factor plays a big roll here, and the way they sound for that "small" a footprint is superb.
They sound 100% ATC, I had no doubt about it.

The lower mid sounds a bit fuller with the 45's, slightly more beefy if that's the word.
As a daily 50 user I must admit that this jumped out, and it is not wrong per se.
I do feel the 50 is the most balanced one between them - and yes, 50's go deeper than 45's.
Nevertheless, I can totally see anyone going for 45's, especially if you're into EDM and need to feel a bit more of that kick drum.

Given that your room agrees to the loudspeaker, and your ears and budget too of course, anyone of these monitors would be a fine choice.

Next step: go out and hear them for yourself, or even better get them on demo in your room as has been suggested multiple times, and report back to us.

Last edited by Emanuel23; 19th January 2018 at 11:56 AM..
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Nut

50s all the way
Old 19th May 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
any other thoughts on this?
Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i never tried the 45s but the 50s were the best investement i made in my studio.
Old 21st May 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander ➡️
i never tried the 45s but the 50s were the best investement i made in my studio.
are you mastering or mixing mainly?
Old 21st May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by valeot ➡️
are you mastering or mixing mainly?
tracking and mixing only. for mastering i might feel the need for a sub.
Old 21st May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would always go 50s unless budget was a serious issue. It’s their trademark speaker and is also a bit more versatile with placement. There is also only a 5l volume difference. I doubt either would be more or less picky about which room they’re in...

I’m getting very deep bass response here well below 30hz with my older scm50 asl. though I suspect there’s a well placed room mode aiding that.
Old 22nd May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Seems like everyone is giving you good solid advice. 50s upgrade the drivers and the amplifiers with more power. They are where the "pro" range begins and the speaker that launched the company. It remains ATC Founder Billy Woodman's favorite speaker in his line after all these years.

We sell them for many different applications. I know someone that uses them nearfield horizontal on meter bridge. i know someone that uses them for mastering. i know someone that uses them as mid fields. Pretty flexible speakers, but also one misunderstood as someone mentioned above. The perception of less bass bothers some new users, who soon realize if you just mix to the speaker the translation is really sensational. AS you go up from here, lower rolloff (more bass) and a dB SPL or 2 louder. As close to "identical" among the family as I have ever heard in different models from any manufacturer. The goal was "buy the speaker that fits the need-room size, low end requirements, etc. Bigger is not necessarily better.
Brad
Old 22nd May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 50 with the ATC tweeter is probably the best top to bottom monitor you can buy, the only thing bad I can say is if you want it to go deeper you can’t just add a sub because even with some of the best and most expensive you will always be able to hear the difference between the sub and the 50.
Old 10th June 2018
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
ATC 45 pro vs Barefoot MM27

Here is the final configuration of our control room with the addition of a pair ATC 45A pro to the Barefoot MM27 gen2. Why getting ATCs when you have the versatility of the Barefoot MM27 gen 2 ? In one word complementarity ! Don’t get me wrong, the Barefoot are great, they are amazing speakers with a ton of depth and accuracy in the low end thanks to their opposite dual 10'' subs. They are fantastic as close near field monitors. I tried to put them in a midfield position but found them less appealing. So why the ATC ? MU-SI-CA-LITY ! Even if the Barefoot are revealing, their weak point in my opinion is their lack of musicality. Listening for long periods on the Barefoot is a bit like monitoring on NS10s. The ATCs are more the opposite: while these babies are also incredibly accurate and detailed they are like butter to the ear. Not flattering but genuinely accurate and musical. The resolution in the mid range is jaw dropping (goosebumps guaranteed). The ATCs are also king for tracking, revealing most subtle details and nuances when changing for instance a mic position on an instrument. So why keep the MM27 ? Well, the low end on these boxes rules. You get a tight low on the ATC but the Barefoot tells you more precisely what is in there and not. So in my setup, I found the ATC to be perfectly complementary in a sort of midfield position to the Barefoot. Very happy for the foreseeable future...
Attached Thumbnails
ATC SCM45 vs. SCM50-fullsizeoutput_19ad.jpg  
Old 10th June 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
is this a cadac console?

would i buy any speakers today, atc's would probably be amongst them - still happy with my tad and tannoy speakers (with a little help from lake controllers though...)
Old 11th June 2018
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yes it is ! Replaced my former hybrid system a few months ago with a mighty Cadac J type .
Old 12th June 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not a fan of the ATC 45's on their own, muddy and too much midrange, better with a sub, but much prefer my Barefoot mm27 gen 2's(and mm26's). ATC 50's on up are definitely better than the 45's. I do really like the ATC 150's, wish I could get them as a compliment to my barefoot mm27 gen 2's.
Old 12th June 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
i was working on the barefoot mm27 gen1 for 1 1/2 years, mostly mastering and mixing, loved their lowend, didnt like very much the phase issues und the midrange. will receive the ATC 45es this Friday. will be able to say next week more, but I heard the 45es and liked them, they seemed more fun than the 50es and as well 3k less of money.
Old 13th June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bforest4 ➡️
Not a fan of the ATC 45's on their own, muddy and too much midrange, better with a sub, but much prefer my Barefoot mm27 gen 2's(and mm26's). ATC 50's on up are definitely better than the 45's. I do really like the ATC 150's, wish I could get them as a compliment to my barefoot mm27 gen 2's.
I would have to say muddy is not a term I have ever heard applied to 45s. Maybe not the clarity of 50's SL woofers, but not muddy.

Brad
Old 14th June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm quite happy to say that the all of the atc models I have heard have been STUNNINGLY close in terms of signature sound. It has generally just been a thing of bass extension. (even the mids on the 20s were pretty darn close to the mids on the 50s to be honest... Quite how the hell is a bit of a mystery to me but yeah...)

I certainly would never ever ever call any of them muddy though!
I haven't heard the 45s but I would be incredibly surprised if they were.

ATC were something of a revelation for me after years of trying out every speaker I could, for some reason I avoided atc's because the specs read so poorly, the high cost and rumours of anaemic bass...

Truth is: The specs are actually honest. SPL figures are sustained. Frequency response figures are free standing. The bass is just honest (at last!)

In my case, the cost was very much justified.

Initially i replaced a set of adam S4x with a pair of floor stander atc scm20. Cost difference might indicate that this was a step backwards but in terms of getting work done, the scm20 were several steps ahead of the s4x in my space.

The 20s have since been replaced with some sl spec 50s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde ➡️
I would have to say muddy is not a term I have ever heard applied to 45s. Maybe not the clarity of 50's SL woofers, but not muddy.

Brad
Old 15th June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow ➡️
I'm quite happy to say that the all of the atc models I have heard have been STUNNINGLY close in terms of signature sound. It has generally just been a thing of bass extension. (even the mids on the 20s were pretty darn close to the mids on the 50s to be honest... Quite how the hell is a bit of a mystery to me but yeah...)
Haven't heard anything else from ATC other than my 20s, and for sure, the mids are simply ridiculously good. I couldn't ask for more. Except for some bottom end this monitors are mind blowing for its given price, not to mention built quality, customer support and such.
Old 24th June 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bforest4 ➡️
i had the barefoot mm27 gen1 for 1 1/2 years, and have the ATC scm 45a for two weeks now. my room sounded immediately better with the ATC, definitely the best speaker I've worked on till now. the mids are amazing, the highs sooooo much better than on the barefoot, and the lows are pretty good, they dont go that deep as with the mm27, and you need a bit of time to get used to them, but there is enough low end, and its tight. I can work also longer hours on the ATC.
I've tried also the KII's for two weeks, but didnt like them, too flat, sterile and music sounded kinda boring though them.

heard the ATC 50es at a friend studio, they sounded also great.

last thing, atc 45 and muddy? no way, not even close, and I have a 3 db bass boost on.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeot ➡️
I've tried also the KII's for two weeks, but didnt like them, too flat, sterile and music sounded kinda boring though them.
I couldn´t have said it better myself.. I tried Kiis but eventually went with ATC SCM100.. Kiis are for sure a good speaker but they sound like a hi-end plugin.. whereas ATC speakers sound like the real thing.. if that makes any sense
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaGray ➡️
I couldn´t have said it better myself.. I tried Kiis but eventually went with ATC SCM100.. Kiis are for sure a good speaker but they sound like a hi-end plugin.. whereas ATC speakers sound like the real thing.. if that makes any sense
yes, the KII's are pretty good speaker and i think they are sonically better than the barefoots, but i was missing depth.

i listened to some mixes done by other people on the KII's, and they were all too flat for my liking. also my mixes turned out more balanced and i could work faster on them than on the bareffot but too flat again.

Hypes are sometimes are dangerous

and ATC are no hype, they are serious shxxxxt
Old 25th June 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I've used both. 50's are the winners for me and they're what I have in my main room

45's are like better 25s with more oomph and better top end. 50's in a different lane in my opinion
Old 28th June 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Owned both...currently have the 50s with the new ATC tweeter (which will never leave my studio ).

50s are definitely more accurate/3D/detailed. 45s are more 'fun' cause of the thicker sound, but in comparison they are more 'hazy' in the low mids with the lack of the SL driver. Still more clear than 95% of speakers, but the 50s are remarkably clear down there so they are definitely a step up.

45s sound more musical... 50s more surgical. Any musician / artist in my studio always LOVED the sound of the 45s (as did I). The 50s are a bit brutal...'ok' mixes sound like absolute horse $hit, but when a mix is right it's a religious experience listening on them.
Old 28th June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerc ➡️
Owned both...currently have the 50s with the new ATC tweeter (which will never leave my studio ).

50s are definitely more accurate/3D/detailed. 45s are more 'fun' cause of the thicker sound, but in comparison they are more 'hazy' in the low mids with the lack of the SL driver. Still more clear than 95% of speakers, but the 50s are remarkably clear down there so they are definitely a step up.

45s sound more musical... 50s more surgical. Any musician / artist in my studio always LOVED the sound of the 45s (as did I). The 50s are a bit brutal...'ok' mixes sound like absolute horse $hit, but when a mix is right it's a religious experience listening on them.
Spencer - that is a really good way to describe the 50/45 comparison. I think that you captured it! We have many of our early 25 adopters have now moved to 45s (mostly over better low end and the new tweeter) but the guys who don't have to change studios all the time have moved to 50s. The midrange clarity they were initially attracted to- now applied to the low end - is really hard to ignore.
Brad
Old 31st March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost ➡️
Old thread but since I own SCM45 Pro's I'll add in some comment.

Before deciding, I tested quite some monitors:
- Adam S3XH (former model)
- Adam S4XH (now replaced by the 5)
- Amphion One 18
- Amphion Two 18
- KH310
- KH420
- Focal SM9
- Focal Trio 6be
- PMC two two 8
- ATC SCM45 Pro
- Kii Three

Making mainly EDM, Bigroom, Trance etc, bass response and reverbs are really important.
I tested these together with a friend who is also mix/master engineer whereas I am merely a producer/mixer.
It was clear our preferences were very different.
He loved the Ampions, I did not because there is insufficient low end nor does it reveal reverb sufficiently for me.
I liked the Focal Trio 6 Be better in that end but for Hip Hop vocals I must say I prefered on the Amphions. The Trio 6be had some sort of Hi Fi thing: they sounded good on a lot of material so in a mix you'd be satisfied too easily.
The Adams S3XH (former model) sucked, sorry. On paper they are supposed to blow the PMC's out of the water with more loudness and amp power but bringing it to practice, the PMC's were the clear power winners. My buddy ended up buyng the PMC's, I ended with the ATC's.

I doubted for a long time between SM9 and ATC but the mid clarity and stereo field was noticeably superior on ATC. Also, the SM9 are too boomy and I have the impression that the many regulators at the back do colden the sound somehow. Or perhaps it's the drivers, I don't really know but the ATC's sound just warmer.

The KH series were a no go at all for me. Not enough power and I dislike the sound.
The Adam S4xH would have been ok too but I had already made my mind about the ATC's.

One thing I do regret though is that I did not get the Kii's in my studio. Instead I listened to them in the dealer's room and because I did not know that brand, I put them aside too soon.

I am happy with the ATC's but I did throw in an Adam SUB15 because I don't hear bass sweeps and kick bottom enough without it. That makes this an expensive setup. With the Kii THree's I would probably not have needed this.

After my purchase, and after initially having been too negative towards the Kii's, I noticed that all the top engineers were blown away by them so I felt I needed to give them another chance. Only then I realized how much better they are than my set-up. Mixing errors I made were immediately revealed on the Kii's. They are sooo damn correct, it's unlike anything I have ever heard.

But about ATC SCM45 Pro, it is also my opinion that for electronic music, they don't go low enough. I remember a track that had this bass donwer sweep. Without the sub it was . iiieeeeeuuuum. With the sub it was iiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuummmmmm :-D All i'm saying, on the sub the sweep continued a second or so longer so there is some information you don't hear with the near-field alone and which can be pretty important when mixing.

Voila, hope it helps anyone.

Cheers
📝 Reply