The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UA 2192 converter, how much better is it?
Old 16th April 2007
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
UA 2192 converter, how much better is it?

I've been planning to get the 2192 for some time now but the Apogee 200 is awful tempting for $1,000 less.
It would be for recording vox, guitar, and bass. The rest of my gear is all high-end with the exception of the Lucid converters that I am currently using.
What do yall think?
Old 16th April 2007
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Get it !...

Very often, I'll use it over the Apogee AD 16-X, although I like the Apogee a whole lot... Very handy for monitoring too + plenty of nice features + very easy to change setups without having to deal with horrible digital menus and all...

Very nice beast !...

Olivier.
Old 16th April 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly ➡️
Get it !...

Very often, I'll use it over the Apogee AD 16-X, although I like the Apogee a whole lot... Very handy for monitoring too + plenty of nice features + very easy to change setups without having to deal with horrible digital menus and all...

Very nice beast !...
I'll second that.

Some folks have called the 2192 'too colored' but IMO it's a very transparent converter. It sports none of the icy, watery, papery sonics of so many lesser digital pieces - I think it sounds stimulating (for lack of a better word).

With the 2192 in line, I really hear the harmonic content of the music and there's a punch and thickness to the sound. In fact, it's the sound of the analogue front end coming thru as the 2192 is not a tape emulator à la Fatso or HEDD. So ultimately it's all about the quality and character of your pres, comps, etc
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree with Andi...it really brings some analog vibe to digital material. Love mine.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Well, I think I might be sold on it now. Anybody else wanna chime in?
I'm a big tube guy so anything that colors the sound and creates more of a surreal, "better than real life" sound is cool in my book (though I understand that the color is extremely subtle here).

That price hike is a real bitch... I'll probably be searching for a used one.

I see that refurbished one on ebay (that someone obviously dropped on the floor) is getting cheaper every week... Tell me not to buy it!!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
In my AB comparision with the HEDD the 2192 had significantly less detail, but a lot more roar and a somehow finished sound. Kicked out the 16x as well. For all stuff where Punch is needed it´s the Unit to go with.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I kept my 2192 and sold my Mytek AD 192. There was something I liked in the detail of the Mytek but overall the mixes sounded more as I expected with the 2192. The 2192 is certainly not a step down. Also I felt the Mytek was a little hard sounding in comparison. I don't think you will be dissappointed with the 2192. Wish they hadn't gone up in price. I'd love to have a couple of more.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I will have one of these in the next few days and will let you know what my experience is...
Scott
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Don't have much to compare my 2192 to, but it does sound great to me. If UA made an 8 or 16 channel version I'd get one for sure.

The 2192 is the one thing I have zero regret about buying... I just got it and haven't worried about my conversion since (other than what I'm going to do when I need more I/O).

Hey UA, did I mention I'd buy an 8 or 16 channel version?! Either two separate boxes (one for AD one for DA) or all in one... either works for me.
Old 17th April 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
they are just converters... Not really something to get too jazzed about.

Once you get into the higher end converters, there is not a huge amount of difference. While some may be colored, we're not talking pacifica color or anything. We're talking small color... Of course with the exception of the hedd, but that has a built in effect.

That being said, I have a buddy that has 4 of them, and they sound fantastic.

I am more curious about using it as a master clock.

I think it's more desirable than the rosetta 200 or the hedd b/c it can be used as a master clock.

So you would want a 200 + a big ben... Which would be roughly the price of a used 2192.

I don't think you'll be sorry with either combo... But if you do gett the rosetta, definately get the ben
Old 17th April 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I absolutely adore my 2192. It's still my favorite set of converters... and when I have really "made it", then I will have at least 16 more so I can track everything through them.
Old 14th May 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Does the 2192 support SPDIF via its lightpipe?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Best. thing. Ever.

I love how it sounds.... especially when you get 40 tracks cut through it... sounds so damn huge.

I'll never get rid of mine.

-s0nguy
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert ➡️
Does the 2192 support SPDIF via its lightpipe?
Yes, that's the way I use it with my Digi OO2 setup. 2 ch of 'prime' AD conversion and the DA for master bus playback, it sounds great without being hyped.

I agree with Steve, I'd use all 2192s if I had the money. If think that's what Neil Young does in fact. FWIW, listening to his 'Prarie Wind' CD (which I'm pretty sure was tracked thru 2192s) I hear a certain quality in the acoustic guitar recording that is similar to what my own experience with the 2192 is. It's not that I claim that the sound I get is in the same league but I hear a certain dimension and realness in the -of all things- little buzzes from the strings- that immediately says '2192' to me.

Best money I've ever spent!
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Great, thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 2192 supports adat format on lite pipe.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
And S/PDIF thru the RCA coax connexions...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
It sounds pretty "analog" to my ears. Maybe not the best for everything but good on a lot of stuff. The main disadvantage for me is its weakness to handle level...compared to my Lavry blue, when I start driving its input, the 2192 turns into a distortion box before you even notice anything on the Lavry...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
syra,

I'm curious to know why you want to 'drive the inputs' of your converters? If I want an overdriven sound, then I'll overload the preamp or say a 1176 but I will never intentionally overdrive a converter, I don't see any benefit in doing this.

What I like so much about the 2192 is the dedicately non-glassiness of the sound. There's none of that dreaded 'digital fog' so common in lesser converters.
Old 15th May 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker ➡️
syra,

I'm curious to know why you want to 'drive the inputs' of your converters? If I want an overdriven sound, then I'll overload the preamp or say a 1176 but I will never intentionally overdrive a converter, I don't see any benefit in doing this.

What I like so much about the 2192 is the dedicately non-glassiness of the sound. There's none of that dreaded 'digital fog' so common in lesser converters.
Thats how I make things loud when I need to. I also use it during mixing when I compare to my references. With the 2192 I always have to wonder how its gonna sound mastered...with the Lavry I just push the input until I achieve the same level as my references.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd ➡️
The 2192 supports adat format on lite pipe.
Quote:
And S/PDIF thru the RCA coax connexions...
Even if you didn´t say it doesn´t support S/PDIF via its lightpipe it sounds like you´re implying that

Would a simple light/coax converter affect the performance?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert ➡️
Would a simple light/coax converter affect the performance?
Light pipe, coax, aes/ebu, all of these are just connexions that carry digital datas in and out - there's no way they can interfere with the inner quality of the converter...

Speaking of that, the UA2192 really shines by its multiple connexion possibilities, besides its excellent sounding conversion...

Olivier.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like my Lavry Gold (which is quite amazing) but if I didn't have the $,I probably would have gotten the UA.It is very very good for it's price point. A lot of (name)guys I know hit the UA on mixdown.I happen to like the way it disorts.If I was using one, I would probably hit it a little harder than usual because of that fact.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Would it be worth spending the cash to use it for recording and monitoring with a RME Fireface 800 ?
And especially when you 'only' work at 24/44.1 ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes. It's one of the best bargains in the gear world,
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 ➡️
I like my Lavry Gold (which is quite amazing) but if I didn't have the $,I probably would have gotten the UA.It is very very good for it's price point. A lot of (name)guys I know hit the UA on mixdown.I happen to like the way it disorts.If I was using one, I would probably hit it a little harder than usual because of that fact.
I can't imagine anyone liking digital distortion but it seems YMMV ...whatever works
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm not talking digital distortion.I'm reffering to AD clipping at which the UA excells.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
the 2192 was *designed* to saturate nicely when pushed. it's the analog front end that squeezes the love, not the a/d.

gregoire
del
ubk
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I understand what you are saying, but I'm not talking about driving the analog input circuit, I'm reffering to AD clipping as a technique. There is no "brick wall" in the UA circuit.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Light pipe, coax, aes/ebu, all of these are just connexions that carry digital datas in and out - there's no way they can interfere with the inner quality of the converter...

Speaking of that, the UA2192 really shines by its multiple connexion possibilities, besides its excellent sounding conversion...

Olivier.
I just wondered about the latency of coax/light converters but I found out their latency is very low. And it might affect the clock quality of the transfered signal while clocking via SPDIF but in my case the converter would be clocked internally and the computer just has to deliver the data in time - no jitter sensitive application here.
📝 Reply