The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I'm back
Old 3rd June 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
BTW, I beefed up a guitar part the other day by sending out to the Engel miced with a Royer at Jules's. Great sounding piece of kit. Must remember to wear industrial strength head protection next time though, I got carried away. Couldn't hear my potato chips crunkle for days.
Old 3rd June 2003
Just put it on!

Cool!

Very "big" sounding lots of good reverb use for large sound!

Excelent low end control..

I can only imagine how huge it would be in surround...!!!

Old 3rd June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener
Sorry, they're gone for now. Didn't expect so many requests coming in. I'll do another run next week. Thanx for the interest in the project.

let us know when it's available in the stores .... will it be released over here ??? (europe that is)
Old 5th June 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
Second batch is gone as well, thanx for your interest guys.

After all this, we found out yesterday that we can't use the name LeRoi (I wish his attorney would have found out 7 month ago ). So , now we need a new band name, any suggestions from the people that heard it?
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Michael---

you are lucky cause i would have sued you all!!!

LeRoi General Jr. alias Buddhaman
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
After all this, we found out yesterday that we can't use the name LeRoi (I wish his attorney would have found out 7 month ago ).
Leroii ? leRoy? The Roi ? sorry

How about "Quite a Machiene" ? or something along those lines?

Or LeRoi Inc...

LeRoy 251

NLR ( Not LeRoi)

hell, I dunno, but at least I am not thinking of the day from hell i am having

If I name it by the record, I would go with "F**king huge", but I am thinking thta that isn't really what you are looking for...
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Michael,
I've been listening to the record over the last couple days and I also think that it is ****ing huge. Some serious metal here, I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but I really like this disc. The guitars are absolutely fantastic, as are the drums (gotta try the SM-7 on floor tom!). That singer has sure got some pipes. I dunno if you'll reveal this at all, but was any Autotune used or anything? Either way, the performances are really strong. I'm gonna be going to a buddys place to check out the surround mixes in a bit, I'm sure they will only be bigger. Was everything tracked to DSD? I really gotta hear this thing in surround...

Ian
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When I first heard the stuff, Michael proudly proclaimed that there was no PT or Auto-tune on the record.
Old 7th June 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by imacgreg
Michael,
I've been listening to the record over the last couple days and I also think that it is ****ing huge. Some serious metal here, I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but I really like this disc. The guitars are absolutely fantastic, as are the drums (gotta try the SM-7 on floor tom!). That singer has sure got some pipes. I dunno if you'll reveal this at all, but was any Autotune used or anything? Either way, the performances are really strong. I'm gonna be going to a buddys place to check out the surround mixes in a bit, I'm sure they will only be bigger. Was everything tracked to DSD? I really gotta hear this thing in surround...

Ian
Thank you for the kind words, Ian, I'm glad you like it.

No Autotune or PT used, he can really sing, all I did is comp the best takes from 7 tracks which Terry sang all the way through every time.

It was all recorded to the Euphonix R-1 (all PCM at 24bit 48K), and some tracks went to the Tascam MX2424 (at 24bit 48K). I mixed on the Sony DMX R-100 (PCM) to the Tascam DA98HR for the PCM version and to the Genex 8500 via the Meitner converters for the DSD version.
Old 7th June 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
Quote:
After all this, we found out yesterday that we can't use the name LeRoi (I wish his attorney would have found out 7 month ago ). So , now we need a new band name, any suggestions from the people that heard it?
The band is now named "DEVICE". Now I have to go and make up for all that nice free press we got over the last seven month
Old 7th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The band is now named "DEVICE". Now I have to go and make up for all that nice free press we got over the last seven month
cool choice.

Speaking of free pub.. if he is the same LeRoi percing parts guy, the jewelry is very cool.
Old 7th June 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
cool choice.

Speaking of free pub.. if he is the same LeRoi percing parts guy, the jewelry is very cool.
That's him
Old 10th June 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hey Michael,

Sorry I haven’t got back to you sooner, the day I got the disks my partner immediately ran off with the surround version. That’s the one I was most interested in hearing and scoping. I wanted to wait till I got that one back! (He’s a freak)

First off as a reformed metal head vocalist myself and drummer/keyboardist, I’ll say the band is great! very Queensryche(ish) to me. Singer is a cross between Geoff Tate (minus the Tate ) John Schlitt (in his younger days…the singer of an old Christian band called Petra) and Bruce Dickenson….the band is great!

As far as your work is concerned, Unbelievable! What sticks out to me, are the huge guitars (a wall of sound), the kick (great tone, sits perfectly), the vocal processing, (it can be such a challenge to record a rangy singer without squashing him (especially male) if you haven’t already, could you list the complete vocal chain and any problems you had to overcome while tracking him, or how “you” personally approach a vocalist with such range? Besides the overall mix of the record, I’d say the vocal mastering is the most impressive element of your work (because it can be so difficult) ..the special effect/pannings on track 1,3,6,7,8, are awesome, did you bring in real violas on 15 or synths?..cool song!

I must say Michael I was blown away after I got a chance to listen to the DVD in true surround! It’s an amazing frontier for music and you’re right there man, what a job!

As far as any criticism is concerned (everyone’s a critic right!) It would be directed in one place “for me” the snare drum!..weither it was your call or the drummers (and I know drummers), I feel the typical compressed out rock snare is the only thing that bugs.. this band and your work is so good, it seems a distinctive tone (identifying the drummer) would have been the final pizzazz..( like when you hear Alex Van Halen, or the drummer for Queensryche, you just know its them a mile away!)…but that’s it!

I was really impressed bro, you’re a very talented cat. Thanks for sharing that with us and taking the time to send me a disc.

Best Regards
Bobby Loux
Old 10th June 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Hi Michael,

Your CD arrived today here at the studio...I'm about to go home and listen to it.

Best,

Jon
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Yes the production is incredible!!! Thanks for the listen... everyone interested in tracking in Surround should definately check this one out, and also glean as much info as possible as to how this was accomplished... (at least that's what I'm doing!!!)
Old 12th June 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I use my E47 with my Great River mp2nv or my requisite pal plus and it sounds ridonculous!!
PK
Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

On the stereo mix I used the CraneSong Spider to do a submix of Kick, Snare, Toms and one far room mic, which was then sent to the Chandler EMI TG1 for max compression (love that thing) and mixed in with the drums. And of course, my favorite: the CraneSong HEDD was on the whole mix with the tape knob pretty crancked. I also used the Massive Passive on the stereo mix rather than the Massenburg in the TC. The Massenburg sounds absolutely great, but somehow the combination of the MP hooked up to the analog I/O of the HEDD kicked ass in this case.
Michael, thanks for the great post
Is your main use for the spider drum submix duties? I haven't heard one but looks like a versatile piece, but lottsa $$.
I'm wondering how it would work out for rock/metal as part of a front end to protools? About the Genex, is the masterlink with a pair of great converters even close? Can't afford the Genex!
thanks
daniel
Old 12th June 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
s

Quote:
Originally posted by FOURTHTUNZ
Michael, thanks for the great post
Is your main use for the spider drum submix duties? I haven't heard one but looks like a versatile piece, but lottsa $$.
I'm wondering how it would work out for rock/metal as part of a front end to protools? About the Genex, is the masterlink with a pair of great converters even close? Can't afford the Genex!
thanks
daniel
daniel

The Spider is one (actually eight) killer mic pre which happens to be an 8 channel mixer as well. All the electric guitars on this album were, without exception, recorded with the Spider, a pair of Royer 121s and an GrooveTubes AM62. Since I was monitoring in surround I had to use the bus outs of the console for monitoring and recorded everything direct into the R-1 bypassing the console in most cases. That works fine for instruments with one mic to one track, but when you have to mix a few mics together you have to use some kind of a summing console, that's where the Spider comes in. Not to mention the "tape" emulation and the "fat" function on the Spider are just amazing and really make those guitars sit in the track nice and big. It's a great pre for many different instruments because it can go from totally clean to very colorful. It also has great A/D converters, so it would make a great front end for PT. Over many years of recording I find that the amount of mic pres and compressors on my equipment list has gone way up and the amount of EQs has gone down quite a bit.

I was using the Genex because we mixed to 5.1 DSD (as well as to PCM) and the Masterlink is only stereo. Normally I use the Masterlink as my "2 track" machine, coming PCM 24/48 out of the Sony consoles. To the day I have to yet hear the converters in the Masterlink.
Old 13th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
got mine today too ........ did a quick 5 minute browse through the tracks ...... very freakin nice sound Michael. will give it a thorough listen over the weekend : looking foreward especially listening to the surround tracks ...

Old 23rd July 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
CD in stores yet?

Hi, Michael.

I meant to ask you this past weekend when you estimate the CD for 'Device' will be in stores?

I know this was asked in an eariler post...sorry for the bump...but I plan to buy it when it becomes available.

thanks
Richard Brackin
Muscle Shoals, AL
Old 23rd July 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
Re: CD in stores yet?

Quote:
Originally posted by flexoffset
Hi, Michael.

I meant to ask you this past weekend when you estimate the CD for 'Device' will be in stores?

I know this was asked in an eariler post...sorry for the bump...but I plan to buy it when it becomes available.

thanks
Richard Brackin
Muscle Shoals, AL
The band name is now: TITANIUM BLACK. The stereo version is going to be released on Terry's label, GreatDaneRecords and distributed by Eagle Rock. Proposed release date is January 2004. We are still working on distribution for the 5.1 Version.
Old 23rd July 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: CD in stores yet?

Quote:
The band name is now: TITANIUM BLACK.
lol, how many times are they going to change the name?
Old 23rd July 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Re: CD in stores yet?

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
lol, how many times are they going to change the name?
well, I guess this is it. The original name was LeRoi, that is his real name, but there is actually a band out there calle Leeroy. Then we came up with 'Device' and it checked as cleared online, but there is a band in England with that name. So now TianiumBlack is the final, registered, trademarked name, I hope heh
Old 24th July 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just wanted to offer my 2 shells on the recording since it was asked for.

At the risk of rubbing someone the wrong way, I'm going to be starkly honest. This is not a personal attack on Mr. Wagener in any shape or form. He's a great dude and I get a lot out of his input to this forum!

I played the music in my car the first time I listened to it, and at first I thought it was a joke. I was actually laughing. The material is melodramatic and hard to take seriously. I didn't know people were still writing updated versions of glam metal this late into the next century.

Meanwhile, the musicianship is better than most bands of the genre. The singer is quite solid but again, I can't take anything he sings about seriously. The music supports his lyrical content...

The production is quite professional sounding but I would have the guitars sounding a few notches meatier. Aside from that, everything sounds as it should for the genre that Michael helped usher into popularity.

That's all I can remember about it since the last listen, and those were the elements that stood out the most to me.

I still want to hear the 5.1 mix, for the sheer rollercoaster effect, but I haven't had time to find a decent rig with a comfy couch.

Hate to be the voice of dissent, but that's how I heard it.
Old 24th July 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The site is Gearslutz not Musicslutz or Styleslutz. I'm sure a lot of people heard it that way (myself included to a point) but the point was hearing a surround rock mix not critiquing a bands material.
drew
Old 24th July 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Re: Re: CD in stores yet?

Quote:
well, I guess this is it. The original name was LeRoi, that is his real name, but there is actually a band out there calle Leeroy.
and how is that a conflict? leeroy and leroi are TOTALLY different. hell, dinosaur just had to add Jr. to their name.
Old 25th July 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by drew
The site is Gearslutz not Musicslutz or Styleslutz. I'm sure a lot of people heard it that way (myself included to a point) but the point was hearing a surround rock mix not critiquing a bands material.
drew
The two are inextricably intertwined for me and the way I work, but I know what you're saying. Btw, I did comment on the mix also, as I was asked to. I don't see why "Let me know what you think" should be limited to the technical/observationist side. Boring. My ears aren't there just to let me know where things are around me.

Did you not see all the comments about the music itself in ths thread? There were as many comments on the music as on the mix...

Old 25th July 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CD in stores yet?

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk and how is that a conflict? leeroy and leroi are TOTALLY different. hell, dinosaur just had to add Jr. to their name.
Under trademark law, the test is whether there is a "likelihood of confusion" with the names. Given that the names could be pronounced the same by consumers, the later name would never get trademark approval. This is especially true because Leeroy and leroi are both bands (in the same industry). If there was a leeroy coffeemaker, there would be no problem. But the likelihood of confusion test applies when the industries in questions are the same, related or overlap.
Old 25th July 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
i always pronounced it as luh-ROY and the other would be LEE-roy. i dont get all the legal bull**** of band names. obviously the two are entirely different and if a consumer couldnt figure it out, they should be branded a dumbass anyway.
Old 25th July 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
first of all i would like to thank Mr. Wagener for the inside info
this is why i come to this forum often
well documented and helpful info

is it possible to buy this CD or at least a link
so i can hear nips of each song?

thanks again

regards,

Charles J. Rivera
Mastersonics