Telefunken 251 vs Upton 251 Mic
Old 7th October 2017

🎧 15 years
Telefunken 251 vs Upton 251 Mic

I just ordered an Upton 251 Mic, I'm looking for a good 500 all around
mic pre for vocals. . . .

Has anyone tried this mic? It looks really cool

UPTON CK12 CAPSULE upton microphones tube microphones

The Upton CK12 is a faithful reproduction of the classic AKG CK12 capsule. The CK12 is considered by many to be one of the greatest microphone capsules ever produced. We spent over 3 years developing our manufacturing and tuning techniques in order to bring this capsule to market. It is entirely manufactured in the USA in our own machine shop and assembly facility.
Attached Thumbnails
Telefunken 251 vs Upton 251 Mic-251..jpg   Telefunken 251 vs Upton 251 Mic-upp.jpg   Telefunken 251 vs Upton 251 Mic-up.jpg   Telefunken 251 vs Upton 251 Mic-img_6274-4.jpg  

Last edited by hubercraft; 13th October 2017 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: Corrections
Old 7th October 2017

🎧 10 years
I've never used a tele USA 251 but my buddy down the street has a pair of the uptons and they are fabulous on anything you put them on. Projects I've been involved with have seen them used on acoustic guitar, drum overhead, upright bass and vocals and they are superb in every case. I'm sure he's used them on many other things too I just wasn't in the room when he did!
Old 7th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I’ve had mine for a year now.

I have one of the first batch of Telefunken USA U47 made when they were offering VF14M tubes and reskinned M7 capsules. Back then you could customize long or short body, tube, capsule etc. It has been a go to mic for many years. Well built and sounds lovely. I have used it alongside vintage U47s without a second thought.

The Upton gives me that same feeling and confidence. I lusted for a 251 type since my U47 purchase. I am glad I held out for the introduction of this thing!

Dallas took his sweet time recreating the capsule and it was worth the wait. He picked an Electro Harmonix tube for mine but I ended up switching it out for a 5 Star GE GL6072. Either way this mic is delicious.

I have not been able to put mine beside a vintage 251 (Dallas did that for us) or a Telefunken but would jump at the opportunity. Anyone in the Boston area with the Telefunken shoot me a PM.

PS: For 500 series the ez1073 is my pick for the Upton
Old 8th October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
what is the cost of the Uptons
Old 8th October 2017

🎧 15 years
Upton 251

They List for $4995.

They Also Have a C12 I think It List For $3995.
Old 8th October 2017

🎧 15 years
Telefunken 251 vs Upton 251

Thanks for the feed back ..
Old 8th October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have a mint Bock 251 listed in the classifieds...

Hijack over.
Old 9th October 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
The Upton is incredible !!!
Old 9th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnajar ➑️
I've never used a tele USA 251 but my buddy down the street has a pair of the uptons and they are fabulous on anything you put them on. Projects I've been involved with have seen them used on acoustic guitar, drum overhead, upright bass and vocals and they are superb in every case. I'm sure he's used them on many other things too I just wasn't in the room when he did!
That's really cool to hear from another reliable source.

Looks phenomenal, that's for sure.
Old 12th October 2017

🎧 15 years
Upton 251 Just Arrived WOW ..

I just got my Upton 251 and all I can say is ..WOW .. WOW ..

This Mic Is Incredible ..

Think I'm going to order a Sound Skulptor - MP573

To Go With This Gorgeous Mic ..
Attached Thumbnails
Telefunken 251 vs Upton 251 Mic-img_6196.jpg   Telefunken 251 vs Upton 251 Mic-251..jpg   Telefunken 251 vs Upton 251 Mic-upp.jpg  

Last edited by hubercraft; 13th October 2017 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: mistake
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
So no one has done a direct comparison of the Upton with either Tele USA or original?
Old 1st May 2018 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper ➑️
So no one has done a direct comparison of the Upton with either Tele USA or original?
There was a Comparison on Real Gear Online forum, where they compared the Upton to a Blackbird 251
Old 1st May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Again:

Anyone in the Boston area with the Telefunken shoot me a PM. I have an Upton

Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Thanks!

Has anyone tried putting a Tim Campbell capsule into an Upton?

Later in the thread when he put a Mullard tube in there is was night n day. Totally took care of all my concerns about the sibilance issues I was hearing... almost too much.

Last edited by Piedpiper; 2nd May 2018 at 01:58 AM..
Old 2nd May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
... Has anyone tried putting a Tim Campbell capsule into an Upton? ...
That's a very curious request. Guess I'd be intrigued with that too!

Are you familiar with Tm's capsule & have you used the Upton mic?
Main reason to buy & spend money on a mic like that IS because of the capsule.

Someone actually did a capsule change (or reskin of the Upton capsule) & I believe are content with the outcome.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos ➑️
That's a very curious request. Guess I'd be intrigued with that too!

Are you familiar with Tm's capsule & have you used the Upton mic?
Main reason to buy & spend money on a mic like that IS because of the capsule.

Someone actually did a capsule change (or reskin of the Upton capsule) & I believe are content with the outcome.
There's obviously a lot more going on with the Upton than just the capsule and I simply thought Tim might have the edge in that department. No other way to find out...

And no, I know both the Upton and Tim's CK12s by reputation only. I'm very picky when it comes to sibilance and am careful to avoid a disappointing expenditure. I'm guessing the Upton is good enough that I could live with it either way though.

Last edited by Piedpiper; 2nd May 2018 at 02:19 AM..
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I own a Upton 251 and a TC capsule in a high quality c12 clone I built. I would never change the capsule in the Upton.

Dallas has put the time in on these and he got it right.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i'd like to hear one on a male vocal
Old 2nd May 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Upton 251

Upton 251
Neve
LA3a
Attached Files

I DO 4.7 soul tuning 3.18.18.mp3 (9.83 MB, 16968 views)

Last edited by jerrybarnesbass; 2nd May 2018 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: Typo
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Later in the thread when he put a Mullard tube in there is was night n day. Totally took care of all my concerns about the sibilance issues I was hearing... almost too much.
If it uses a 6072, nothing beats a white paint 5 star GE. Give it a try.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo ➑️
I own a Upton 251 and a TC capsule in a high quality c12 clone I built. I would never change the capsule in the Upton.

Dallas has put the time in on these and he got it right.
Armchair conjecture, but my concern is that given that Klaus has repeatedly shared his view that the CK12 is the most difficult capsule to successfully get right, and that Tim Campbell's significant efforts are the best attempts, it is only natural to wonder if improvement could be made on Dallas' relatively recent efforts. I am delighted that you have confidence in the Upton. Of course, this is what I would wish for. Thanks for chiming in.
Old 3rd May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Armchair conjecture, but my concern is that given that Klaus has repeatedly shared his view that the CK12 is the most difficult capsule to successfully get right, and that Tim Campbell's significant efforts are the best attempts, it is only natural to wonder if improvement could be made on Dallas' relatively recent efforts. I am delighted that you have confidence in the Upton. Of course, this is what I would wish for. Thanks for chiming in.
Make that a love chair. I too will be keeping my Upton with a Dallas capsule.

I would like to see Klaus review it some day.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well, Tim's is a good capsule for sure but it is not historically correct to the AKG CK12's so it really is Apples to Oranges comparison.

The Upton capsule is historically correct to the AKG, you can even swap internal parts with a vintage capsule if ever need. Much more of a "apples to apples" comparison.

I think the only other capsule maker besides Upton who may currently make a historically correct CK12 remake would be Josephson. I am not 100% sure on that but I do know the Josephson is another fantastic sounding capsule.
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Guru

Yeah the upton 251 is a thing of beauty. Gotta pair at the office and they’re fantastic. Just wish the friggin mounts were a bit better.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well, Tim's is a good capsule for sure but it is not historically correct to the AKG CK12's so it really is Apples to Oranges comparison.

The Upton capsule is historically correct to the AKG, you can even swap internal parts with a vintage capsule if ever need. Much more of a "apples to apples" comparison.

I think the only other capsule maker besides Upton who may currently make a historically correct CK12 remake would be Josephson. I am not 100% sure on that but I do know the Josephson is another fantastic sounding capsule.
Which revision of the capsule? Where did he get the blueprints from? I can tell just from looking at it that he's not using the correct gold sputtering on the mylar. Tim actually uses AKG's original mylar. Upton would not be the first people to claim that their copy is historically correct and be wrong. (Do they even claim that?) AKG did a very unique sputtering technique that is easily recognizable under a high powered microscope. It actually affects the way the membrane moves.

Looks promising, and I'd be interested in hearing it and comparing it to my 251s, and their capsule to any number of my nine CK12s.

But how exact it is isn't important. I own a Pape C12 (the later type that Oliver used to call the mkII), which has a Haun capsule. It's a really wonderful mic, and I have done really amazing recordings with it. It's not indistinguishable from a real C12, but it's a fantastic mic. I am skeptical that Upton is indistinguishable from a good example of a 251, but I'm sure it's a great sounding mic that some people might even prefer to other current 251 type mics. C12 and 251s are wonderful things in the studio, and if being able to afford something that gets you pretty close helps you make better recordings, then I'm a fan.
Old 4th May 2018 | Show parent

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Dan I wouldn't really call it apples to oranges. Your post inadvertantly makes it sound like there might be some mechanical differences between my capsule and AKG's that would affect the sound of the capsule. My brass chamber's parts are not threaded together and my acrylic is not serated on it's edge. Those are the only areas where there is any mechanical difference, neither of which affect it's performance.

left to right: Josephson, MBHO, Telefunken, Heiserman, Campbell and AKG

Currently Upton and Telefunken both produce a capsule that from the outside resemble the original AKG. Josephson, MBHO, OPR, Upton, Telefunken and perhaps Beesnees produce CK12 copies who's internal parts can be interchanged with original AKG's.

These capsules, as I stated on another forum, are mechanically almost identical. The difference in freq. response between them is really just a reflection of the manufacturers aestetic. AKG CK12's ran the gamut from dark to bright. We all have found a benchmark AKG capsule to model that we believe represents our favorite.

Last edited by Tim Campbell; 4th May 2018 at 04:01 PM..
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
So glad I flushed the bushes! Thanks!

Tim, if you are willing to expound further on what you have striven for in your choices, it would be much appreciated.
Old 4th May 2018

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Piedpiper I really don't want hijack this thread. I just piped in to avert any misunderstanding that perhaps my capsule wasn't a true CK12 type. You're welcome to drop me an email with any questions you might have at [email protected]
I'll just add that I've been maufacturing capsules for almost 20 years now and selling my CT12 for the past 14 years. In that time I've built and sold more than 3000 capsules. I still service all of them. Whenever I can improve upon my work I do. Like many other manufacturers I am glad to match or tweak capsules to customers tastes.
Old 4th May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➑️
Which revision of the capsule? Where did he get the blueprints from? I can tell just from looking at it that he's not using the correct gold sputtering on the mylar. Tim actually uses AKG's original mylar. Upton would not be the first people to claim that their copy is historically correct and be wrong. (Do they even claim that?) AKG did a very unique sputtering technique that is easily recognizable under a high powered microscope. It actually affects the way the membrane moves.

Looks promising, and I'd be interested in hearing it and comparing it to my 251s, and their capsule to any number of my nine CK12s.

But how exact it is isn't important. I own a Pape C12 (the later type that Oliver used to call the mkII), which has a Haun capsule. It's a really wonderful mic, and I have done really amazing recordings with it. It's not indistinguishable from a real C12, but it's a fantastic mic. I am skeptical that Upton is indistinguishable from a good example of a 251, but I'm sure it's a great sounding mic that some people might even prefer to other current 251 type mics. C12 and 251s are wonderful things in the studio, and if being able to afford something that gets you pretty close helps you make better recordings, then I'm a fan.
Anyone can visit the UPTON website and decide for themselves

Upton Microphones

No wild claims or boasting. Just the facts ma'am. USA made in his facility.

It seems to me that Dallas doesn't really go out of his way to market his stuff. Even the Vintech. It's just there. Promotion isn't his strong point I guess. I think Oliver was kinda like that too. He always seemed to be in his shop like Edison at Menlo Park or something.

True,it really is a matter of personal choice with all these mics. I am glad that there are so many now.
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Out of curiosity, has anyone compared the Upton 251 and the Lawson L251?
πŸ“ Reply