The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IGS Tubecore 3U tubes experience
Old 13th August 2017
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
Stéphane's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
IGS Tubecore 3U tubes experience

Want to try the 5670 and 6386 tubes into my Tubecore 3U,
any experiences?
I read that 6386 tubes can't really mess with the calibration on previous units,
I have one of latest releases, bought this year.

5670 tubes are not expensive, but there are some many NOS choices...
Thanks for sharing!
Old 13th August 2017
  #2
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stéphane ➡️
Want to try the 5670 and 6386 tubes into my Tubecore 3U,
any experiences?
I read that 6386 tubes can't really mess with the calibration on previous units,
I have one of latest releases, bought this year.

5670 tubes are not expensive, but there are some many NOS choices...
Thanks for sharing!
I am still using the factory installed tubes so I will be interested to read your thoughts if you do make a change

Are you not liking the factory tubes ? Or just want to experiment ?
Old 13th August 2017
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
Stéphane's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I love the unit so far,
just want to experiment :-)
Old 29th December 2017
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
Stéphane's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
YouTube
Old 12th February 2018
  #5
Gear Head
 
🎧 15 years
Got my Tubecore 3u second hand. I assume it's the stock tubes. I love this unit and have no desire to change tubes at the time.

Combover Mastering
Old 19th November 2018
  #6
JGM
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I know this is a dormant thread, but I would appreciate any feedback any of you tubecore owners can offer re how you use the unit, how it sounds, and types of sources you use it on.
Thanks.
Old 19th November 2018
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
jerkrecords's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I love mine.
i've used both 6N1P and 5670's in it and for me it's a bit of a toss-up.
both sound great - i stuck with the 6N1P's since it i liked it those from the get-go. I am tending to use the mix knobs set at 20 to 22 on a full mix. Let's the thing punch more. Want to hear it on something heavy? sure you do.
On this track it's the last thing on the 2-mix:

Marion | THUNDERWORM

-pete
Old 21st November 2018 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM ➡️
I know this is a dormant thread, but I would appreciate any feedback any of you tubecore owners can offer re how you use the unit, how it sounds, and types of sources you use it on.
Thanks.
Had it 2 years now and I will keep it till I die. I always use my 3U on the mix bus
I am also going to do more tracking with on my vocals and maybe acoustic guitar
Old 21st November 2018 | Show parent
  #9
JGM
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkrecords ➡️
I love mine.
i've used both 6N1P and 5670's in it and for me it's a bit of a toss-up.
both sound great - i stuck with the 6N1P's since it i liked it those from the get-go. I am tending to use the mix knobs set at 20 to 22 on a full mix. Let's the thing punch more. Want to hear it on something heavy? sure you do.
On this track it's the last thing on the 2-mix:

Marion | THUNDERWORM

-pete
Thanks for the post. Not really my type of music, but I can hear that punch. I even hear a smoothness and glue in that mix.
Now I want one even more.
Old 21st November 2018 | Show parent
  #10
JGM
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind ➡️
Had it 2 years now and I will keep it till I die. I always use my 3U on the mix bus
I am also going to do more tracking with on my vocals and maybe acoustic guitar
Thanks for sharing.

I don't really see a lot of talk about IGS gear. Are they like some secret weapons?

@ anyone . Do you have any other IGS gear?

Thanks
Old 21st November 2018 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM ➡️
Thanks for sharing.

I don't really see a lot of talk about IGS gear. Are they like some secret weapons?

@ anyone . Do you have any other IGS gear?

Thanks
No the Tubecore 3U Mastering Comp is the only piece I own IMO it is an outstanding value in a variable mu type comp , but agree not well known
I chose it over the Manley Vari Mu and the A Designs Nail which were the other two Mix Bus comps I was looking at.
Old 21st November 2018 | Show parent
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
jerkrecords's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind ➡️
No the Tubecore 3U Mastering Comp is the only piece I own IMO it is an outstanding value in a variable mu type comp , but agree not well known
I chose it over the Manley Vari Mu and the A Designs Nail which were the other two Mix Bus comps I was looking at.
ha...
that track above was mixed into 2 comps in series on the 2-mix:
first a Nail taking just a bit off the top and adding it's nice sparkle that it does even when not in GR, then right into the Tubecore standing on the mix pretty good... with the mix knobs dialed back a bit.

my Tubecore actually belonged to the Blasting Room originally... so if J. Livermore chimes in he could tell you more.

-p

Last edited by jerkrecords; 21st November 2018 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 21st November 2018
  #13
JGM
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Thanks all for responses.
Old 21st November 2018
  #14
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
i have several IGS pieces, love them all...


i flipped tubes in my 3U... its dark and thick...
Old 21st November 2018
  #15
Deleted fe72b38
Guest
Has anyone tried IGS full sized LA2A clone?

I think it's called the One Levelling Amplifier, it's a 19" rack unit and looks to be very solid and professional

I never hear anyone ever mention it here on GS.

I was considering ordering one as a step up from a Warm or Stam clone.
Old 21st November 2018 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkrecords ➡️
my Tubecore actually belonged to the Blasting Room originally... so if J. Livermore chimes in he could tell you more.

-p
Actually Jason and I already talked about the 3U when I visited the studio
Old 22nd November 2018 | Show parent
  #17
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor ➡️
Has anyone tried IGS full sized LA2A clone?

I think it's called the One Levelling Amplifier, it's a 19" rack unit and looks to be very solid and professional

I never hear anyone ever mention it here on GS.

I was considering ordering one as a step up from a Warm or Stam clone.
i have 2 of the 500 One Leveling Amp's..... they are pretty nice for tracking.
Old 22nd November 2018 | Show parent
  #18
Deleted fe72b38
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonjon ➡️
i have 2 of the 500 One Leveling Amp's..... they are pretty nice for tracking.
What chassis do you use them in?

Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018 | Show parent
  #19
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor ➡️
What chassis do you use them in?

Thanks
the IGS chassis.
Old 22nd November 2018 | Show parent
  #20
Deleted fe72b38
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonjon ➡️
the IGS chassis.
Thanks.

Have you ever compared it to a real LA2A or LA2A clone like the STAM or Warm?

Thanks
tht
Old 22nd November 2018 | Show parent
  #21
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor ➡️
Thanks.

Have you ever compared it to a real LA2A or LA2A clone like the STAM or Warm?

Thanks
tht
yes i have a real LA2A.... partly because i roll tubes in the LA2A easily... and it does not compare. none the less, i use the IGS on synths, or buss comps...
Old 23rd November 2018 | Show parent
  #22
Deleted fe72b38
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonjon ➡️
yes i have a real LA2A.... partly because i roll tubes in the LA2A easily... and it does not compare. none the less, i use the IGS on synths, or buss comps...
Thanks for the feedback.

I suspected as much.

I think I'll have to save the extra dosh and get a real LA2A otherwise I don't think the itch is going to get properly scratched!
Old 6th December 2018 | Show parent
  #23
Gear Head
 
Voivodinevampyr's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonjon ➡️
yes i have a real LA2A.... partly because i roll tubes in the LA2A easily... and it does not compare. none the less, i use the IGS on synths, or buss comps...
You mean the historical unit superior.
Could you expand? Official comparison gives incredibly tight freq. response following.
Old 6th December 2018 | Show parent
  #24
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voivodinevampyr ➡️
You mean the historical unit superior.
Could you expand? Official comparison gives incredibly tight freq. response following.
no..... its all pretty clear what is what.... no need to hash it out.
Old 6th December 2018 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonjon ➡️
no..... its all pretty clear what is what.... no need to hash it out.
The lesson is always "pretty clear" to the teacher, ,,, " it does not compare" could hardly be more ambiguous. ( one could assume from that vague statement, that you mean the IGS is so good the LA2A "does not compare " as easily as assuming the other way around. Asking for clarification is not really hashing it out.

Last edited by KevWind; 7th December 2018 at 03:14 PM..
Old 7th December 2018
  #26
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
The original IGS Level One question was about the full-size rack unit. The "does not compare" response was about the 500-series version. Maybe they're the same, maybe not.
Old 7th December 2018 | Show parent
  #27
Gear Head
 
Voivodinevampyr's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
So as to clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind ➡️
The lesson is always "pretty clear" to the teacher, ,,, " it does not compare" could hardly be more ambiguous. ( one could just as easily assume from that vague statement, that you mean the IGS is so good the LA2A "does not compare " as easily as assuming the other way around. Asking for clarification is not really hashing it out.
Totally, Kev -we were already 2 in this thread to read it in the sense of IGSunit ‘[wo[n’t compare’ .
& am a v. happy user of Igor-designed gear
Old 7th December 2018 | Show parent
  #28
Gear Head
 
Voivodinevampyr's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Nothing against you

We could reasonably think it was in keeping with previous posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonjon ➡️
i have several IGS pieces, love them all...


i flipped tubes in my 3U... its dark and thick...
Old 10th January 2019
  #29
Gear Addict
 
AudioKemestry's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Have been looking to invest in my first mastering/2bus compressor for the studio and picked up a Tubecore 3U in mint condition for $1900. Build quality is superb and all the features you could ask for (SC HPF, Elma switches, big tactile knobs, wet/dry mix, nice orange meters, M/S mode, carnhill and sowter transformers, the ability to change tubes). After calibrating the meters (easy) and running mixes through it for the past few days, so far all I can say is Wow! The Tubecore is just what I was after for warming and gluing my ITB mixes. The low-end sounds solid/more focused and the mid-range is definitely beefed up. The vocals are way more present and aggressive. The mix knobs and M/S mode are golden. You can add serious width to your mix or subtly tame the side transients. It would be cool if there were 'solo' switches for mid and side channels on the Tubecore to quickly hear whats going on, but no big deal. I generally use the Brainworx BX Digital v3 for adding M/S width (Dirk is awesome), but to my ear I think the Tubecore does this better/more naturally so I'll probably only use the BX for rolling off lows on the sides now. Overall, I love what I"m hearing from the Tubecore 3U so far. Hats off to Igor @ IDS. I have some GE 5670 tubes on the way, so I'm curious to see how those sound.

Last edited by AudioKemestry; 10th January 2019 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 16th January 2019
  #30
Gear Addict
 
AudioKemestry's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stéphane ➡️
Want to try the 5670 and 6386 tubes into my Tubecore 3U,
any experiences?
I read that 6386 tubes can't really mess with the calibration on previous units,
I have one of latest releases, bought this year.

5670 tubes are not expensive, but there are some many NOS choices...
Thanks for sharing!
Just installed some GE 5670s (5star). Noticeable improvement over the stock tubes...you can push them harder before the signal starts to break up, the lows are deeper, and there sound more open (less boxy)in the mids and highs. Happy camper.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1939 views: 410199
Avatar for drBill
drBill 1 week ago
replies: 36704 views: 3095823
Avatar for mrufino1
mrufino1 11 minutes ago
replies: 13 views: 4063
Avatar for AudioKemestry
AudioKemestry 28th October 2020
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump