Quantcast
Any ADAM S3V or S3H Users here ? How do you like them ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any ADAM S3V or S3H Users here ? How do you like them ?
Old 15th March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any ADAM S3V or S3H Users here ? How do you like them ?

Hi,

I'm interested in hearing from ADAM S3V or S3H Monitor Users.

Any feedback on these monitors would be appreciated.

I currently use ADAM A7X with a Sub-10, and would like to add either the S3V or S3H as a second option.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Last edited by muziksculp; 6th July 2017 at 04:34 PM..
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are they even shipping yet?!?! I plan to get the S2V. I heard them here in Houston. They all sound wonderful.
Old 18th March 2017 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➡️
Are they even shipping yet?!?! I plan to get the S2V. I heard them here in Houston. They all sound wonderful.
Could you tell us more about your impressions? With what did they compare?

I ordered myself S3V from Musicstore and first promised to ship on March 15-16. But they apologized, they said that the manufacturer is not ready to send them and that the first batch will be in mid-April. On Thomann, the same dates are indicated. Personally, they promise to send me at the end of March. I'm waiting.
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi,

I didn't realize that these models have not started shipping yet.

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Head

Is somebody hear this new S series?
Old 6th May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi,

I'm considering upgrading my ADAM A7X to the new ADAM S2V Monitors.

https://www.adam-audio.com/en/s-series/s2v/

I heard the New S-Series monitors at an ADAM event. I didn't hear the S2V with a Sub at the ADAM event, they sounded great even without the Sub, but will surely sound fuller, bigger, and richer in the lower frequencies if a Sub is added.

I'm sure the S2Vs will sound fantastic with my ADAM Sub-10.

Anyone here have the ADAM S2V already, or thinking about upgrading to them ?

I was also impressed by the new S3H. Would love to have a pair of these babies, but that will have to wait.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 17th June 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I just got the chance to listen to this whole line with direct comparisons to the older s2x and some mains in the listening room.

The new porting designs are MUCH better in that regard to the s2v vs s2x (specifically the s2x was under ported to the rest of the SX range) and seem to deliver effortlessly clear low end. The wave guides definitely helped fill the room with the highs for people not directly in the sweet spot and the new Adams were definately much brighter than the other speakers we had on hand. Too bright? Maybe, but there is DSP for that.

The S3H was definately the pick of the ones we heard (but also the most expensive as there were no s5's on hand) although I personally felt the new midrange driver in the 3's to be rather harsh at the 3k crossover point. I was informed that all of our listening models had not been broken in at all and we were hearing them with less than an hour on each.

Comparing the S2V vs S2X most people in the room preferred the newer model, although being in the actual listening position blurred these lines very quickly, and swapping their positions on the meter bridge completely changed the sound of both speakers and swung the vote wildly.

Personally I found the midrange on the older model more organic and full on the tracks I knew well, with the new sounding a little scooped but not overly.

In the end we're comparing pro speakers and they all sounded very good.

For full disclosure, I recently bought the s3x-h on clearance and hadn't received them at the listening and not so secretly wanted the older range to sound as good as the new. After hearing my purchase though I am all smiles. No regrets.
Old 27th June 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Just took delivery of a pair of S3H for evaluation. They are a pre-production pair courtesy of ADAM Nashville but the only difference is that the software is slightly different from production models. I will be doing a review, but initial impressions as a long-time ADAM fan (I've used A7s with NHT mastering subs for 10 years)...

STUNNING. Definitely in the ADAM family, but that new midrange makes a huge difference. More open, effortless, pinpoint imaging, super articulate... and insane amounts of power/headroom. I haven't even touched the DSP yet - other than to make sure they're totally flat.

Will post the review when done. For now, color me impressed ;-)
Old 27th June 2017
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Heard the whole range the other day. All of them were something else. Much more pro than the current range (I have sx3h) and amazing projection and depth. Bass is incomparable. No port noise! Swapping mine over when available.
Old 27th June 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi,

I'm planning to add either the new ADAM S2V , or the new Barefoot Footprint01 during August. Will have the opportunity to audition both of them in the studio, and then choose the ones that I like better.

Here is a link to the new Barefoot Footprint01 webpage, anyone heard these ?

Barefoot Sound » Products

I currently use the ADAM A7X with ADAM Sub-10.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 27th June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I did a bunch of comparing yesterday between my top choices (ADAM and ATC), but also checked out the smaller Barefoots (MicroMain45, 35, and Footprint 01). For my taste, I felt like the Barefoots all had some pretty sizable holes in the low mids - at least compared to ADAM and ATC. Of course those latter 2 are known for their mids, but I was surprised to hear the Barefoots in comparison. Don't get me wrong, they sounded great - just not balanced enough across the whole spectrum for me.

The more I listen, the more heavily I lean in the direction of the new ADAM S series and ATC. The ADAM S3H is blowing my socks off - it has the forensic detail I've always loved from them, but with the huge & open mids you'd get from an ATC. I don't have them in the same room yet - I hope to bring in SCM50 ASL's over the next few days. In the meantime, I'm hearing so much from these S3H's that I've never heard elsewhere - remarkable.

In fact, I just mastered a big project at a friend's place who has a big ATC room (surround SCM50s), and I'm hearing things on the new S3H that I didn't hear on the ATCs - and that is shocking to me!

Good stuff...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinecellar ➡️
I did a bunch of comparing yesterday between my top choices (ADAM and ATC), but also checked out the smaller Barefoots (MicroMain45, 35, and Footprint 01). For my taste, I felt like the Barefoots all had some pretty sizable holes in the low mids - at least compared to ADAM and ATC. Of course those latter 2 are known for their mids, but I was surprised to hear the Barefoots in comparison. Don't get me wrong, they sounded great - just not balanced enough across the whole spectrum for me.

The more I listen, the more heavily I lean in the direction of the new ADAM S series and ATC. The ADAM S3H is blowing my socks off - it has the forensic detail I've always loved from them, but with the huge & open mids you'd get from an ATC. I don't have them in the same room yet - I hope to bring in SCM50 ASL's over the next few days. In the meantime, I'm hearing so much from these S3H's that I've never heard elsewhere - remarkable.

In fact, I just mastered a big project at a friend's place who has a big ATC room (surround SCM50s), and I'm hearing things on the new S3H that I didn't hear on the ATCs - and that is shocking to me!

Good stuff...
Hi whinecellar,

Thank You for the helpful feedback.

I was also blown away by how good the S3H sounded when I heard them at a reatiler being demo'd . I also like the S2V quite a bit, but they didn't have them hooked up to a Sub, so I think they would have sounded much fuller if they had a Sub.

I'm a big ADAM fan myself, had the original ADAM A7 monitors, for 10 or 11 years, then upgraded to the A7X , always using them with the ADAM Sub-10 (original model). Love the sound of my A7X with Sub-10. I'm guessing I will love the S2V even more.

My studio space is 16' X 15' , so it's on the small side, I feel the S3H might be too much monitors for my studio (What do you think ?) , I feel the S2V will fit my studio space perfectly.

I have not heard the Barefoot Footprint01 monitors yet, and have never used Bafefoot monitors, or used them. So, I might end up sharing your experience when hearing the Footprint01. I will post some feedback after my auditioning session, and choice of monitors I end up purchasing.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp ➡️
Hi whinecellar,

Thank You for the helpful feedback.

I was also blown away by how good the S3H sounded when I heard them at a reatiler being demo'd . I also like the S2V quite a bit, but they didn't have them hooked up to a Sub, so I think they would have sounded much fuller if they had a Sub.

I'm a big ADAM fan myself, had the original ADAM A7 monitors, for 10 or 11 years, then upgraded to the A7X , always using them with the ADAM Sub-10 (original model). Love the sound of my A7X with Sub-10. I'm guessing I will love the S2V even more.

My studio space is 16' X 15' , so it's on the small side, I feel the S3H might be too much monitors for my studio (What do you think ?) , I feel the S2V will fit my studio space perfectly.

I have not heard the Barefoot Footprint01 monitors yet, and have never used Bafefoot monitors, or used them. So, I might end up sharing your experience when hearing the Footprint01. I will post some feedback after my auditioning session, and choice of monitors I end up purchasing.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
You're most welcome! Hope it was helpful. I too am a longtime A7 user - I've had them ever since they came out over a decade ago. I also use them with subs - a stereo pair of NHT B20s. Carl Tatz recommended them for smaller mastering rooms years ago and I absolutely love them - sealed 10" boxes with a separate control amp that offers way more control options than a typical standalone rig. I'd be lost without them - the A7s are so much better when they don't have to do all that low-end work!

Same with the S3H - despite their more than ample low end, I would miss the extreme lows for scoring and sound design work. So, whatever I end up with, the NHTs are staying.

As for room size, mine is about 15' x 22' and the S3H works beautifully in here. My local ADAM rep tells me the H version is really optimized for the widest possible imaging/soundstage, for whatever that's worth.

And the Barefoots are definitely worth a listen! They wouldn't work for me (at least the models I mentioned above) but they did sound really good. I'm just after the most even response possible, and the ADAM and ATC lines do that better for me. Definitely use your own ears though ;-)

Cheers!

Jim
Old 6th July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
<SNIP>

I'm guessing I will love the S2V even more.

<SNIP>
Update: after two weeks evaluating the S3H against some other high-end competitors, I just ordered a pair. Even against the midrange detail "kings" (ATC), the ADAMs came out clearly on top for me in terms of overall detail, imaging, soundstage, and separation of elements within a mix. The S3H allowed me to hear the tiniest details like distortion and compression artifacts that I simply couldn't hear elsewhere, or if I did, they were somewhat smeared or less evident compared to the ADAMs - and without a hint of fatigue. That's quite a feat.

@ Muzicsculp , I think it's important to note that the new midrange driver in the S series is a crucial part of that - and the S2V doesn't have that. I would seriously consider the S3V - the extra investment would more than pay for itself IMO. It's like having that gorgeous and informative midrange of an ATC, but with the incredible detail of the newest ADAM tweeter. Just my $.02, but I hope that's helpful! And I don't think they would be too big for your room ;-)

I really can't say enough about the S3H – it is a monitoring upgrade I've looked forward to for a long time!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Update: after two weeks evaluating the S3H against some other high-end competitors, I just ordered a pair. Even against the midrange detail "kings" (ATC), the ADAMs came out clearly on top for me in terms of overall detail, imaging, soundstage, and separation of elements within a mix. The S3H allowed me to hear the tiniest details like distortion and compression artifacts that I simply couldn't hear elsewhere, or if I did, they were somewhat smeared or less evident compared to the ADAMs - and without a hint of fatigue. That's quite a feat.

@ Muzicsculp , I think it's important to note that the new midrange driver in the S series is a crucial part of that - and the S2V doesn't have that. I would seriously consider the S3V - the extra investment would more than pay for itself IMO. It's like having that gorgeous and informative midrange of an ATC, but with the incredible detail of the newest ADAM tweeter. Just my $.02, but I hope that's helpful! And I don't think they would be too big for your room ;-)

I really can't say enough about the S3H – it is a monitoring upgrade I've looked forward to for a long time!
Hi whinecellar,

Thanks for the feedback. I will seriously consider the S3H after reading this, and Congratulations on your S3H !

They surely impressed me when I heard them at the demo session I attended at a retailer.

Q. How far apart do you have the S3H's placed in your studio ?

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi whinecellar,
Q. How far apart do you have the S3H's placed in your studio ?
You're welcome - hope my little review was helpful ;-) You should seriously try out a pair of S3Vs in your studio if you get a chance!

The S3Hs are about 4 feet apart and 4 feet from me (equilateral triangle). The imaging is stunning!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You're welcome - hope my little review was helpful ;-) You should seriously try out a pair of S3Vs in your studio if you get a chance!

The S3Hs are about 4 feet apart and 4 feet from me (equilateral triangle). The imaging is stunning!
Thanks again.

Yes, I'm planning to try out a pair in my studio. I know I will be falling in love with the S3H's
Old 8th July 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
For anyone interested, I just posted a detailed review and comparison with some other top brands:

ADAM Audio S3H
Old 11th July 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I just posted a detailed review and comparison with some other top brands:

ADAM Audio S3H
In similar situation that you were in. Lived with Adam 7s (with a Sub8) for about a decade and wanting to get a set of Near/Mid Fields that are revealing but with more sonic heft.

Haven't gone through the listening process yet but my shortlist is the ATC SMC25a and the Barefoot mm27 but much of the stuff I am hearing has been leading me to believe that the ATC's would be a better match for someone who has lived with Adams for a long time. Just occurred to me this evening that I should have ADAMs on the list, so I tripped on this thread and your review. Extremely grateful for you analysis after hearing these monitors.

Hadn't occurred to me that ATC's below the 25a would be contenders. Will have to give them a go.

Curious, have ADAM toughened up the cabinets? The lightly painted soft particle board (and damage prone) cabinets, that plague the generation of ADAMs that I bought into has been one of the major reasons I haven't considered ADAMs.
Old 11th July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heisenberg ➡️
Extremely grateful for you analysis after hearing these monitors.
Glad to provide it!

Quote:
Hadn't occurred to me that ATC's below the 25a would be contenders. Will have to give them a go.
Yes indeed - as I pointed out in my review, the SCM 20 ASL pro mkII is actually more powerful than the next two models up (the SCM25a and SCM45a) - and it has the full SL spec woofer and new tweeter. There are a lot of people who feel like the SCM20 is closer to their benchmark SCM50 than the 25a and 45a, and I would agree. The SCM20 is a remarkable monitor for sure - BUT it definitely needs to be used with good subs, and as good as the ATCs are, the ADAM S3H is objectively more detailed, focused and balanced across the spectrum, IMO. See my review for a list of example tracks that made this abundantly clear (no pun intended).

Quote:
Curious, have ADAM toughened up the cabinets? The lightly painted soft particle board (and damage prone) cabinets, that plague the generation of ADAMs that I bought into has been one of the major reasons I haven't considered ADAMs.
Oh my word yes. As I said in my review:

"At 58.6 lbs (26.6 kg), these things feel like they’re carved out of stone. Tapping on the cabinets yielded no ringing or resonance whatsoever." The finish is vastly improved too - as you would expect when paying 7 times the price of a pair of A7s. I just unboxed my keeper pair yesterday and even the packaging is well done... these things are like the BMWs of the studio monitors. German engineering all around. Couldn't be happier!
Old 12th July 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
For anyone interested, I just posted a detailed review and comparison with some other top brands:

ADAM Audio S3H
Thanks for the great review.

Have you heard the ATC 25's / 45's next to the S3H at some point?
I tried the ATC SCM25A for a few days and they sounded much better than i expected.. i was sure i will need to add a sub but they had plenty of bass in my room.

I can't find too much info on the S3H, i assume that you are one of the first owners so i hope you can add a little more info.

The only Adam speaker that iv'e heard was the A7, it was about 8 years ago but if i remember correctly it was a dry and unpleasant / uninspiring sounding speaker.
Is there such a thing "Adam sound" as it is with ATC? from what i read on ATC's they have a sound you will recognize in most models so i just hope the S3H have a different character than A7.

Will they be too much for a small room? (15X12X9 ft)
Can you hear a change in the balance when monitoring in low volume?
Old 12th July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilingZone ➡️
Thanks for the great review.
You're welcome ;-)

Quote:
Have you heard the ATC 25's / 45's next to the S3H at some point?
Not all in the same room... but I did spend about 2 weeks bouncing back and forth between all the ATC models to narrow down which would work best in my space, with my existing rig (which includes really good subs). That turned out to be the SCM20 ASL Pro mkII, which I *did* compare over several days with the S3Hs. As I said previously, I feel like the SCM20 is closest to their benchmark - the SCM50. All of them are incredible monitors though, and they all sound remarkably similar. When you're listening to an ATC, you know it. Same with ADAM.

Quote:
I can't find too much info on the S3H, i assume that you are one of the first owners so i hope you can add a little more info.
Their website tells you everything you could possibly want to know about it, and I tried to go as in-depth with my personal review as I could from an end user perspective - if I missed something you'd like to know, feel free to ask! That said, you're right, it is a new product so there aren't many reviews yet.

Quote:
The only Adam speaker that iv'e heard was the A7, it was about 8 years ago but if i remember correctly it was a dry and unpleasant / uninspiring sounding speaker.
Is there such a thing "Adam sound" as it is with ATC? from what i read on ATC's they have a sound you will recognize in most models so i just hope the S3H have a different character than A7.
Well, as I said in my review, I came from A7s (used with my subs) for over a decade. Not sure if the pair you heard 8 years ago was broken in, but that makes a big difference... I absolutely loved mine once they opened up. They held their own against monitors many times their price. I will say that subs are crucial for me though - they allow a smaller monitor like an A7 to really do what they do best.

Yes, I'd say there's an "ADAM sound" just like with ATC. However, the S3H is a pretty massive upgrade from an A7: much more pure, articulate, detailed, powerful, dynamic, balanced, and so on. They simply sound effortless in every way. More important, for me, they give me much more detail, space & allow me to hear "into" a mix more than anything else I've heard anywhere near the price. Even more than ATCs, as amazing as they are. The ADAMs are just more balanced across the spectrum IMO, where the ATCs are kind of all about the midrange - which they do spectacularly.

Quote:
Will they be too much for a small room? (15X12X9 ft)
Can you hear a change in the balance when monitoring in low volume?
They might be. They are certainly vastly more powerful than needed for a room that size, and they *could* overpower it depending on placement. I'd think the S3V would be better in that room, especially if you don't use subs.

And no, the balance doesn't change much at all with level. That's one of the things I love about the ATCs too - both maintain balance and imaging regardless of level.

Hope this helps!
Old 13th July 2017
Gear Head

Has anyone listened to the S series on an analog? Now I'm listening to S3V, the signal is coming from my DAC. My DAC converts the digital signal to analog, in monitors there is a reverse conversion of the analogue to a digit, and then after DSP again into an analog.

It turns out instead of:
Digital - Analog

We get:
Digital - Analog - Digital - Analog

Two unnecessary conversions. I'm not completely satisfied with what I hear, apparently the extra transformations spoil the sound and I need the source of the AES digits for these monitors. Will the difference be significant?
Old 13th July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NisT ➡️
Has anyone listened to the S series on an analog? Now I'm listening to S3V, the signal is coming from my DAC. My DAC converts the digital signal to analog, in monitors there is a reverse conversion of the analogue to a digit, and then after DSP again into an analog.

It turns out instead of:
Digital - Analog

We get:
Digital - Analog - Digital - Analog

Two unnecessary conversions. I'm not completely satisfied with what I hear, apparently the extra transformations spoil the sound and I need the source of the AES digits for these monitors. Will the difference be significant?
I talked about this in my review here:

ADAM Audio S3H

To reiterate, I haven't even tried the digital inputs yet of my S3Hs - it would involve tearing my console apart and I don't have time for that right now. I too was a little concerned about the additional AD-DA conversion, but frankly, that concern was unwarranted. The S3Hs are the most detailed, revealing monitor I've heard anywhere near their price, even with the conversion. Many monitors have DSP these days, but I wouldn't make that a deal breaker; use your ears. Mine tell me the S Series is absolutely top-notch. Other monitors I've tried (including some at twice the price) are purely analogue yet didn't come close to having this kind of clarity & detail ;-)
Old 4th September 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Bumppp anymore users care to chime in? Would love to hear more how they compare with other speakers
Old 11th October 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
How did the Adam S3H compare to the Kii Three monitors? I saw you mentioned them in your review.

Quote:

Old 11th October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi,

Just to update this thread, I ended up purchasing the ADAM S3H.

Amazing monitors, loving them a lot

Going from the ADAM A7X to S3H was a very big step up. I would consider this to be one of the most important, and well worth it decisions I made this year as far as upgrades/improvements to my studio.

Here is a pic of the S3H's on my Desk, they are connected to an ADAM Sub-10 Subwoofer.

Cheers,

Muziksculp
Old 11th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skriabin ➡️
How did the Adam S3H compare to the Kii Three monitors? I saw you mentioned them in your review.
The Kii Threes are interesting. Not sure how to describe them and it’s been a few months so I’m not sure how fair it is at this point, but my recollection is that they just sounded a bit “hi-fi” for my taste. Like I was listening to a really nice speaker. But ultimately I wanted something as neutral sounding as possible - a monitor with extreme precision & detail. In their price range, I just didn’t hear anything better than the ADAM S3H, all things considered. As always, your room is a huge part of your monitoring rig, so check them out there if it all possible ;-)
Old 17th November 2017
Here for the gear

'X' Series vs 'S' Series

Guys, I would value your input!
My current knowledge of monitors is way out of date.
I first started mixing back when C-Lab Notator was launched. I walked into my local store to buy some guitar strings but ended up walking out with Notator, an Atari and a Roland U20 (the first multi timbral keyboard).... Yes i'm getting old

For years I used the original Event 20/20 Passives (still have them in the UK)
Now i'm living in Asia and i'm getting back into songwriting and mixing after a 20 year absence whilst focusing on other things (I'm a semi pro guitar player).

I'm now in the market for a decent set of monitors.
My current room is 20' x 13' and is partially treated. I'm considering moving into a smaller room fully treated in the near future.

I have tried the Genelec 8040's and the M040's in a store but didn't really take to them.
I also tried the Adam A77x's and A8's in a store and was blown away with the ribbon tweeters

Unfortunately the availability to demo stuff where i am is very limited.
From what I have read I'm leaning towards Adam's.

My wallet is telling me the A77x's would probably suffice....
But my longing for quality and precision are telling me to go for the S2v's or the S3h's...

Obviously there's a huge difference in cost, but does this really equate to the double the quality?
Are we saying the S series totally blows the X series out of the water or are the differences more subtle but desirable for pin point accuracy?
Old 17th November 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I think it depends on your tasks and financial opportunity. Initially, i intended to get A77X too, but after quite a research i realised that i want something really top of the line up-to-date product for a "reasonable" price. A77X's are great for their price and you can read lots of reviews of them being one of the best bang for the buck pro entry-level monitors in the market. They are used quite often in good studios. For instance, Point Blank studio in the UK. A77X's have enough power for your room. But you do understand that they are not truly a three-way monitors. So you can't expect them to produce highest detailization in the midrange. Plus they have an "old" X-ART tweeter, which is more aggressive in the top-end compared to new S-ART. So you get punchy low end, a little scoop in the midrange and a little exaggerated highs. Ofc you can use EQs to tame highs a little bit, but you cant operate with their midrange clarity and depth.
So imho i'd choose between A77X or S3H(V). S2V is cool, but its overpriced being 2-way. Considering 2-way monitors i'd go for HEDD Type07.
Regards.
📝 Reply