The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fairchild & Telefunken
Old 15th October 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Fairchild & Telefunken

What about the Fairchild gear? Is it really as good as some think?

Someone has offered me a pair ofFairchild 663's for $750.

But I don't know much about them, I did see a Fairchild 660 in a picture and its appearance looked ancient inside and out.

Any comments appreciated.

Also interested in:

- Telefunken V72A tube mic pres
- Langevin AM16 preamps.
- ADM channel strips (API pres)

Ciao

Woods
Old 16th October 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Fairchild & Telefunken

All gear is as good as the user that wields it. The Fairchild gear is cool. The most salivated pieces are the 670 and 660. The 663 is ok to good in a specific purpose. The same goes for the pre's. I do feel that the Am16 is an unsung pre. I think its a John Hardy before its time.

Quote:
Originally posted by woods
What about the Fairchild gear? Is it really as good as some think?

But I don't know much about them, I did see a Fairchild 660 in a picture and its appearance looked ancient inside and out.

Any comments appreciated.

Also interested in:

- Telefunken V72A tube mic pres
- Langevin AM16 preamps.
- ADM channel strips (API pres)

Ciao

Woods
Old 16th October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
ouch

FAIRCHILDS are ..to cool 4 school
see tho its obvious that you gotta put the right thing in
having the right thing to but the right thing in is a good thing.
and a fairchild is most deff ..the right thing;;

its how compressors are ment to sound
it is like no other
its HUGE it makes manleys look like toys...yes it does...

vocals are amazing threo onw if the singer is experienced enuff
to let you SQUASH him/her into next week..on like 3

drums are how you had alsways kinda wished your drums had sounded but could never work out why they didnt/dont

as you can tell i like them

but as to cool 4 school they may be a bit ANTI POP 4 sum tastes (bad ones)

they dont make them like they used to

its all that METAL evileye

Old 17th October 2002
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Re: Fairchild & Telefunken

Quote:
Originally posted by woods
663's are rather ****ty sounding squalid state compressors... occassionally a cool effect, but overall a ****ty compressor. Their current "street value" is about $35- USD each, not $750/pr.

Best of luck, if I were you, I'd avoid those things like they caused herpes.
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
actually, if you check the recpit where Fletcher hangs, but look in John (1st name right???) Kletts' tech forum, he has a great summary of the Fairchild stuff, including what's good and what's garbage. turns out much of it is overrated...you'll have to go back awhile to find it...or do a search
Old 5th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher ➡️
663's are rather ****ty sounding squalid state compressors... occassionally a cool effect, but overall a ****ty compressor. Their current "street value" is about $35- USD each, not $750/pr.

Best of luck, if I were you, I'd avoid those things like they caused herpes.
hard to believe bids on a pair of those 663's are up close to $500 and reserve hasn't been met. What do these folks think these are?
VINTAGE Fairchild 663 Comp/Lim Matched Stereo Pair Rare - eBay (item 250763659202 end time Feb-04-11 20:57:16 PST)
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Dude - it has the "F" word on it... in this day and age... when nobody knows that a Porsche 914 is basically a Karman Ghia with a different body style - it still says Porsche on it... and while "car guys" will poo-poo them all day long, if their only goal is to impress their neighbors with something that has the "P" word on it... they'll be stylin' big time.

Know what - the moron who buys the 663's will be on this forum within 7 hours after they get them bragging about their "Fairchild compressors" [and how they make vocals sound AWESOME] and feeling all kinds of superior... at which point 60% of the member base will grovel at their feet due to their ownership of a mighty "Fairchild"... 35% will find one of the previous posts and reference it and 5% file the information so they too can overpay for a near useless piece of garbage... but that's our new and improved "internet based knowledge of recording" world.

FWIW - I've owned several pairs over the years [used them once every year or two]... never paid more than $10 a module... never sold one for more than $25 a module... so who is really the putz here? If I had just hung onto them I could have made some serious bank!!!
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Haha... yes, true.
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
$610 for the pair! Wow... now these are gonna sound REALLY awesome for their new owner.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily ➡️
$610 for the pair! Wow... now these are gonna sound REALLY awesome for their new owner.
Nope. It closed at 610 with Reserve Not Met. So I guess would-be seller jinxjinxjinx (he just may have jinxed himself with that name?!) gets to hold onto his 'precious' 663s for another day/another sucker.
Attached Thumbnails
Fairchild & Telefunken-663auction.jpg  
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media ➡️
Nope. It closed at 610 with Reserve Not Met. So I guess would-be seller jinxjinxjinx (he just may have jinxed himself with that name?!) gets to hold onto his 'precious' 663s for another day/another sucker.
Oh wow... didn't notice that. Ha! Maybe not after this thread.
Old 8th November 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Actually there a guy round here traying to sell a racked pair of 663 for 2500 $
Old 8th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This is flowerpot guy material

And what the heck is a telefunken v72"a"?
Old 8th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well if the 663 goes for $500, a 660 must go for a bit less and a 670 a bit more..........

This is really exciting! Does Guitar Center sell these?

Oh boy, oh boy,oh boy!
Old 8th November 2013 | Show parent
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel ➡️
This is flowerpot guy material

And what the heck is a telefunken v72"a"?
Its the same thing as a V-72 but with more gain... I don't remember the exact number but something in the back of my mind is saying "9db" more. Its been a while but if I remember right the V-72 is fixed at 34db of gain with +15 of headroom... and the V-72A is like 43db of gain with a similar quantity of output headroom.

About 20 years ago I knew those specification numbers off the top of my head... not so much these days so don't take those figures as Gospel by any stretch of the imagination.

Peace
Old 8th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Its the same thing as a V-72 but with more gain... I don't remember the exact number but something in the back of my mind is saying "9db" more. Its been a while but if I remember right the V-72 is fixed at 34db of gain with +15 of headroom... and the V-72A is like 43db of gain with a similar quantity of output headroom.

About 20 years ago I knew those specification numbers off the top of my head... not so much these days so don't take those figures as Gospel by any stretch of the imagination.

Peace
Oh a siemens v72a yea right
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Peace
sounds about right. plus the "a" version has a tad more high end. they are both great.
Old 8th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander ➡️
sounds about right. plus the "a" version has a tad more high end. they are both great.
Yea but the sound is with the original telefunken v72
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yea but the sound is with the original telefunken v72
says who....? they are no better or worst. just a hair different. i work with both on a daily basis. do you? the rest is uninformed gearslutz bs. sorry no offense. but it seems like gearslutz is filled with hearsay when it comes to vintage gear.
Old 9th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
v-72a was tab's take on it it had a slightly different tube compliment, in reality it was a beefed up v74a that could handle high input signal without being distorted. used as line amp after V76 pre.

V76 is the nice pre to get.
V77b was a great pre/line amp too. although, really rare. but has a very high gain and low input impedance.

the 663 was the black sheep and like most of the other early solid state comps did not perform well compared to the tube brothers. I think the first good SS comp was the dbx 160.
Old 9th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander ➡️
says who....? they are no better or worst. just a hair different. i work with both on a daily basis. do you? the rest is uninformed gearslutz bs. sorry no offense. but it seems like gearslutz is filled with hearsay when it comes to vintage gear.
No i did a shootout between tele v72, v72a, v74, v78, and i settled for the superior telefunken v72. So i dont use them on a daily basis. I settled with maihak v41b, tele v72, v76s and telefunken albiswerk studioverstärker typ 502 and use those on a daily basis. There are better or worse especially when it comes to tone over function. Yes you do get a little more gain but not the sound. Personally i wouldnt put money on anything but original telefunken v72 (not siemens, not tab), v76s/u or telefunken albiswerk having tested them all in pristine restored condition (thanks to my uncle -rip- who was chief of the audio division of telefunken albiswerk. But i should probably keep my gearslutz bs to myself should i? Another great sounding specimen is the maihak v41 but i wasnt able to buy a pair so far only listen to them.
Old 10th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Personally i wouldnt put money on anything but original telefunken v72 (not siemens, not tab)...
Why is that? What is so different about a siemens that it would sound different?
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The telefunken logo creates sparkles in the bass players eyes
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The telefunken logo creates sparkles in the bass players eyes
Most of the "V" series units had TAB or Siemens logos on them... I guess there are some T-funk units out there but I don't recall seeing any / many [reckon I didn't pay that much attention to whose logo was on the face panel as all the stuff inside was the same per the original specifications for the unit which were printed in the "brown book" that outlined the standard for all broadcast equipment used in Germany during the time].

Peace
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Most of the "V" series units had TAB or Siemens logos on them... I guess there are some T-funk units out there but I don't recall seeing any / many [reckon I didn't pay that much attention to whose logo was on the face panel as all the stuff inside was the same per the original specifications for the unit which were printed in the "brown book" that outlined the standard for all broadcast equipment used in Germany during the time].

Peace
i think some of my v72 are telefunken branded. as you have said, they sound exactly the same as my siemens and tab branded ones. they use the same parts throughout. i assume they were made by tab anyways and re-branded with a telefunken logo.
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Peace
Correct the irt had a braunbuch that was the rule book for the companies that were hired to produce. The ones with a telefunken logo are very rare (2000ish) and god knows how many were tossed away.
Old 13th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
[...] who was chief of the audio division of telefunken albiswerk. [...]
These (Albis) are excellent preamps, but I do not think there was any affiliation with Telefunken, as it ("Albiswerk Zürich AG") was a Swiss division of Siemens. See here:

Siemens Schweiz AG - Historie

Sorry for nitpicking.
Old 14th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Firmengeschichte Albiswerk Z

sorry thats how it got stuck in my mind. of course its only albiswerk.
📝 Reply