The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Millennia Microphone Preamps: ARE THEY THAT GOOD?
Old 4th March 2007
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years

Hi Gear People are these Millennia micpre that good as they say, are they as transparent as they say?
ARE THEY BETTER SOUNDING COMPARED TO OTHER MICPRES?

HV-3C: Stereo Millennia Microphone Preamp

HV-3 series: 8 channel Millennia Microphone Preamp

Cheers
Old 4th March 2007
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Pretty much a transparent type of pre. Another one to consider would be the DACS Clarity if you want to hear a gnat's heart beat from 20 clicks out.

War
Old 4th March 2007
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
They are high quality pieces, sonically not my cup of tea though. Recordings I've made through them have stature for sure, like the stature of a building made of cold hard stone, they sound almost gothic to me. Very good at what they do, but not suited to my asthetic.
Old 4th March 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Yeah, they're THAT good.
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Depends what you want to do. Recently I used it with a pair of Josephson E22s mics and it was the best of my premaps on 12 string. Also great with a pair of Pearlman's on overheads.
And the best I have for a rich grand piano (not Yamaha) with DPA 4011s.

Now I am not saying that a Gordon (which I do not have) would not be better, but about another $1000 in price.

Other good pres in this area (which some may prefer better) based on Lynn Fuston's 3daudioinc.com 3D pre CD, are the GML, Buzz and original Great River MP series.

The reason I got the millenia is because I wanted two channels of great detail, of what goes into the mic is basically what you get pres.

Yes, they can be cold. But the warmer the source or other devices in the chain, the warmer the overall product.

Really think about where you want to be in the long run. If I had it to do over again, I would consider a pair of GML's with the eqs built in (2032?) It is like having a GML pre with their 8200 eq built in. (I know it is one less band than the 8200, but it sure is a lot of eq as it is!)
Old 4th March 2007
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN ➑️
Hi Gear People are these Millennia micpre that good as they say, are they as transparent as they say?
According to my experience and various comparisons, they are good, but I would not call them really transparent: they tend to add a bit of slightly edgy HF brittle to the source (not very pleasant to my ears) and the bottom does not seem that large as the original ... and generally I would tend to use an adjective "slightly hard" sounding (as opposite to "smooth/liquid/musical" ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN ➑️
ARE THEY BETTER SOUNDING COMPARED TO OTHER MICPRES?
This was my question too and I did a lot of detailed comparisons to find out. Based on that I clearly felt that the answer to this question is not positive for me and I changed all my Millennia collection for DAV BG-2 and Pendulum MDP-1 and I am much more happy now with the overall sound of what I record. Not that I am not searching for something yet better (as always heh ) - next week for example I will compare my DAV to Crookwood preamp and maybe something will change in my setup ...

Anyway, I would very much recommend you to compare Millennia to some other preamps before buying ... To get a real picture and to decide according to your direct experience rather than on the "number of channels sold" ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst ➑️
Yeah, they're THAT good.
I also agree.
AB3
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Obtain and listen to Lynn Fuston's mic pre CD.
http://www.3daudioinc.com/catalog/pr...d141c1fce5c319

I would not call the high end brittle. I would not call it sweet though either. HOWEVER, with the Pearlman tube mics, the overheads are sweet. The Millenia just does not ADD any sweetness.

This is certainly a controversial pre with some people who love them and some people who do not.

So certainly, you want to carefully evaluate it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've only tried the tube side of the TD1 but
it sounded pretty great with an SM7.

Not too clean yet clear and hearty.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Got 12 channels of Millennia here, and recently did a gig with 16. These are really excellent kit: sonically neutral and completely reliable. But if you are counting on them to make the record, you might be disappointed. They will not make anything sound better than it really is. So it becomes all about mic choice and mic placement, and whether the player and instrument are any good to begin with. Ultimately, the question is not "how good is this preamp?" but "how good are you?"

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick ➑️
Got 12 channels of Millennia here, and recently did a gig with 16. These are really excellent kit: sonically neutral and completely reliable. But if you are counting on them to make the record, you might be disappointed. They will not make anything sound better than it really is. So it becomes all about mic choice and mic placement, and whether the player and instrument are any good to begin with. Ultimately, the question is not "how good is this preamp?" but "how good are you?"

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
thumbsup
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I found my 8 ch Hv-3c with a lot of character compared to focusrite isa 430,430mkII,428,audient ASP, Portico, TLA AUDIO Ivory,avalon 737. It's true that they give back to you your skill in mic position, and I think they are good. really good.
Alessio
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They're very good but I'd try Cranesong pre's along side them before I pulled the trigger. I personally prefer the Cranesong pre: very clean with more vibe and character.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Super high end quality. That said, they are totally transparent and bring no vibe whatsoever to the party. They really excel at things like voice over for broadcast.
Old 5th March 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They are pretty cool, but I have not found them to be as clean and transparent as they are made out to be. When I did some blind A-B shoot outs against a pacifica, I actually found the Pacifica to have more detail and clarity, but per channel the Pacifica is quite a bit more expensive, so its really not a fair comparison.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
From what I've seen, any super clean, transformerless preamp can get brittle if they are hit too hard. There is a certain euphonic nature to a transformer when they get a good transient.

I think the Millennia's a great preamps. I use them all the time and get fantastic results. Recently, though, when it came time to purchase my own 8 channel transparent pre, I opted for a Grace 801. It is a very similar sound, but the slight differences I prefer the Grace as it works with the rest of my rig a bit better.

Certainly not going to take anything from them, though- John LaGrou is a great guy and his products are among the best out there.

--Ben
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikawkee ➑️
I've only tried the tube side of the TD1 but
it sounded pretty great with an SM7.

Not too clean yet clear and hearty.

What you are describing then IS the solid state HV3 preamp. I say this because the TD-1 only utilizes the tube in the DI section (switchable to solid state), and the preamp itself is solid state only, not switchable. Here is the comparison chart of the TD-1 to the STT-1 which does have the M2b tube preamp and the HV3 solid state preamp:

http://www.mil-media.com/pdf/td1-stt1-comparison.pdf

...It's a pretty common mistake though, it's not always stated clearly that the TD-1's switchable in the DI only, I think this is because the preamp was originally an option and an afterthought to add value to the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm ➑️
They are pretty cool, but I have not found them to be as clean and transparent as they are made out to be. When I did some blind A-B shoot outs against a pacifica, I actually found the Pacifica to have more detail and clarity
Interesting.....so you are saying the solid state Millennia's are more 'warm' than the ********?

I think it's really cool that you like the ******** more than anything else in the world, but you probably could have stated your opinion about Millennia without telling everyone how much the ******** supposedly trounces on it (which is bizzarre because they are very different preamps, it's like comparing a truck to a luxury car).

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle ➑️
From what I've seen, any super clean, transformerless preamp can get brittle if they are hit too hard....
That my friend is a gross generalisation and completely untrue.

Thank you
Tim.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant ➑️
That my friend is a gross generalisation and completely untrue.
thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've had my Millennia HV3b for about ten years now. Totally reliable, absolutely top notch preamp, I agree with most people's comments on the fact they reveal brutally what you with mics, and the player with his/her instrument (and your a/d converter), are doing. This is a good thing for me. My experience is with top microphones and acoustic instruments.
You may after some time wish to have something else to add to your your arsenal, even though it is not totally necessary. Maybe many folks here on Gearslutz are in this mood after getting their Millennia in the nineties. I make no exception, but this is not to say they are not absolutely stellar.
By the way, when I decide I want some extra character on tracking some sources, I put my tube compressor - even unengaged - after it, and I have what I need.
Sure I am tempted by Gordons, but they are much more expensive per channel: cost per channel is a big plus with Millennias - and John LaGrue is a great guy in my experience.

Best regards
Massimo
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Greetings.

My two cents: yeah, they're at least that good. I had the 2-ch model (which is now for sale by the 2nd owner in the classifieds; great piece). Liked it enough that I bought the 8-ch model. I think of the sound of them like this... if you wear glasses, this will make sense... hopefully. The Millennias are like putting on the exactly perfect prescription glasses. Everything is in perfectly sharp focus; no blur, no fuzzy edges. It doesn't make things "prettier" than they are; just a sharp, clear picture of what is actually there.

And... since no one's mentioned this, I will: excellent noise floor. Like a black velvet background of silence. Fantastic headroom.

Millennia is also an incredible company with which to deal; not only John, but also Joel. The piece is also built like a tank.

Regards,
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the transient response is awesome.. i love my TD-1 on kicks and snares.. when you record in protools you can see the spike on the front end that other pre's set up in the same instance don't have..just reinforced what i was hearing..

years on an 8078 neve makes me appreciate the mellennia even more..[tracking wise]
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hmm.. I've not heard them yet but saw the Chanel, EQ and Comp at the Sounds Expo show last week (what a load of nothing that was!) and it just felt really cheap... I actually asked the guy if it was a prototype it felt so flimsy... anyone had them break on them? For the price range (Β£2-3000) I felt entitled to something more sturdy on the front panel.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use Grace and DACS. I bought a DACS Clarity and it sounded so good in live acoustic recording situations with ribbons and with omnis --where I need gain, speed and deep, accurate resolving power-- that I bought more. Some day I want to eval Millennia, but I can't yet imagine a better pre than DACS for my kind of work.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes, they are that good, but taste and choice are a big part of this buisiness.

Maybe Millennia is a Mercedes, and DAV is a Lexus, and Cranesong is an Infinity...all top notch and a amazing cars to drive and most people would love to own any one of them, but eventually you choose the one that most appeals to you.

I have owned an HV3D for 2 years now and it is amazing, period. If you have one you can make great recordings, but the statement above that what you put in is what you get out is incredibly true and I also like that. In other words unlike a vintage of vibey preamp, the Millennia, and all of the other high-end clear mic pre's will not save your butt and make anything sound better than it actually is.

Also I know this gets asked a lot but what kind of music do you do?

I record jazz, folk, rootsy rock, Christain Contemporary as well as doing sound design and sampling for major software companies and this pre has never let me down.

Paul
Old 6th March 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I love my TD1...I use it to record brass instruments (trumpet, trombone, sax) and percussion...

NZ
Old 6th March 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
They are very musical sounding.
Old 7th March 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilE ➑️
Hmm.. I've not heard them yet but saw the Chanel, EQ and Comp at the Sounds Expo show last week (what a load of nothing that was!) and it just felt really cheap...
i'll assume you're talking about the STT-1 Origin? If you are, you're the only person I've heard comment that this channel looks and feels "cheap." The build is about as sturdy as it gets and the knurled alloy knobs are tough and rugged, as are all the push switches. you want to see "cheap" looking? look at the Buzz Audio ARC.it might sound great but looks cheap and uninspired in comparison to the Origin.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 ➑️
Maybe Millennia is a Mercedes, and DAV is a Lexus, and Cranesong is an Infinity...all top notch and a amazing cars to drive and most people would love to own any one of them, but eventually you choose the one that most appeals to you.
Great analogy!

Cheers,
--
Don
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre ➑️
i'll assume you're talking about the STT-1 Origin? If you are, you're the only person I've heard comment that this channel looks and feels "cheap." The build is about as sturdy as it gets and the knurled alloy knobs are tough and rugged, as are all the push switches. you want to see "cheap" looking? look at the Buzz Audio ARC.it might sound great but looks cheap and uninspired in comparison to the Origin.
Dunno what it was- it just didn't feel 'positive' the guy on the stand said a few had said the same thing... not so bad I'm not going to demo it but the feel of it had put it in a lower price bracket in my mind when I played with it- I was a little suprised when the guy found the numbers to quote.
I certainly didnt feel the knob would break- or the case- but that the shaft could snap on a pot given too hard a tweak.
The important thing is the sound though and I'm looking forward to hearing these... and they probablly wont break either!
πŸ“ Reply