Chandler REDD microphone - Page 71 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler REDD microphone
Old 23rd June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff ➡️
I don't know why my post was off topic when was very on topic. :D so again: Frequency plot is a must for all hi-end mics. It means one: the company have a quality check of the final product and measure it to company standards so there are no important quality differences in the product line and company guarantee them. I have completely nothing against Chandler, own their products and they are great. / I own Zener and Mini Rack Mixer which I really dig!!!/ I also tried both TG and REDD mics. Interesting designs but very sonically sharp for my taste.
( I liked TG actually more than REDD).
I'm a bit suspicious about the capsule, which looks like Maiku capsule. / which means Chinese - 3u is manufacturing the Maiku backplates/ and would also explain the sonic character.
On the end I'm planning to purchase Chandler EQ but not their mic. Sonically doesn't fit me seems spitty - I much prefer in the pronounced highs ballpark original C12, Elam and Brauner VMX .
I have never encountered another time where simple discussion of a piece of gear seemed to provoke such ugly responses. And that’s saying a lot.

I would argue that a mic with a really heavy boost somewhere can generally be OK, especially if it is a fairly clean boost that isn’t pushing into saturation. I think some of the initial examples leaned into that with the REDD, and I definitely said that in context of those examples.

In first hand use, I find you can get a clean result that isn’t aggressively sibilant *if* the singer’s sibilant and consonant area doesn’t exactly line up with the boost, and the mic isn’t pushed into it’s drive feature too hard.

I honestly do not understand why asking for frequency response charts should in any way be a loaded subject at all, the response on that by some members was quite juvenile. I am quite surprised that links weren’t shared for them long ago, or that reasoning against wasn’t given from the company representative.

The Maiku hypothesis is a whole other ball of wax. One thing it seems like a lot of newer consumers don’t understand is that the pre and post assembly process is crucial to the frequency response of a capsule not changing in the field (memories of early U87 knockoffs from China come to mind, like the VTL).

When it comes to spending a lot of money on a mic, it feels reassuring to get an inkling a company understands what it is doing in this regard. The Maiku process seems a little mysterious in that regard, in that it is hard to understand why their process is “better” than 3U doing their own process entirely in house. 3U makes a very good product.

So, is Maiku touching up backplates? Making double sure any fine metal dust is completely gone before assembly? Using a better evaporation process? These are more important details than the location the mylar was put on the capsule at.

I don’t necessarily think it is a big deal if the capsule was Maiku or 3U or XYZ as long as all the parts work together as intended.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I actually really do not like generally tuning of Chinese capsules. I haven't heard yet a mic with a Chinese capsule I would like sonically. CK 12 capsules are usually closer to the K67 type. Chinese K 67 types are even sharper than normally sharp K67( People use them for so called C800 clones also)
and Chinese K47 types have usually a "ring" . Compared to European capsules / neumann , gefell, haune/ or US made Josephson - they sound always quite funny.
People make things in China not because of quality but because of being cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 ➡️
I have never encountered another time where simple discussion of a piece of gear seemed to provoke such ugly responses. And that’s saying a lot.

I would argue that a mic with a really heavy boost somewhere can generally be OK, especially if it is a fairly clean boost that isn’t pushing into saturation. I think some of the initial examples leaned into that with the REDD, and I definitely said that in context of those examples.

In first hand use, I find you can get a clean result that isn’t aggressively sibilant *if* the singer’s sibilant and consonant area doesn’t exactly line up with the boost, and the mic isn’t pushed into it’s drive feature too hard.

I honestly do not understand why asking for frequency response charts should in any way be a loaded subject at all, the response on that by some members was quite juvenile. I am quite surprised that links weren’t shared for them long ago, or that reasoning against wasn’t given from the company representative.

The Maiku hypothesis is a whole other ball of wax. One thing it seems like a lot of newer consumers don’t understand is that the pre and post assembly process is crucial to the frequency response of a capsule not changing in the field (memories of early U87 knockoffs from China come to mind, like the VTL).

When it comes to spending a lot of money on a mic, it feels reassuring to get an inkling a company understands what it is doing in this regard. The Maiku process seems a little mysterious in that regard, in that it is hard to understand why their process is “better” than 3U doing their own process entirely in house. 3U makes a very good product.

So, is Maiku touching up backplates? Making double sure any fine metal dust is completely gone before assembly? Using a better evaporation process? These are more important details than the location the mylar was put on the capsule at.

I don’t necessarily think it is a big deal if the capsule was Maiku or 3U or XYZ as long as all the parts work together as intended.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I actually really do not like generally tuning of Chinese capsules. I haven't heard yet a mic with a Chinese capsule I would like sonically.
I agree with my one exception being the Manley Ref Cardioid capsule.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo ➡️
I agree with my one exception being the Manley Ref Cardioid capsule.
For me, unfortunately, no love as well. Gold and especially Silver are great though. Josephson capsule.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I actually really do not like generally tuning of Chinese capsules. I haven't heard yet a mic with a Chinese capsule I would like sonically. CK 12 capsules are usually closer to the K67 type. Chinese K 67 types are even sharper than normally sharp K67( People use them for so called C800 clones also)
and Chinese K47 types have usually a "ring" . Compared to European capsules / neumann , gefell, haune/ or US made Josephson - they sound always quite funny.
People make things in China not because of quality but because of being cheap.
You know, I basically agree, though when it gets to fine points it can really be a matter of perspective.

For me, Neumann and the old AKG CK12 are sort of unparalleled in capsule quality (though CK12
top end actually varies by quite a bit depending on the model mic they were intended to go in.). I really like some of the stuff Milab/Pearl has done, and some of the Beyerdynamic condenser capsules. The Gefell and Theirsch stuff is good, Haun is good…maybe a bit over rated and with some “ehh I guess this is ok” examples here and there. I have a couple old 797 examples…the green and gold tube mic they used to make, and one in a U195…those are both really good, nothing nasty, though I am not big on the more recent stuff.

The chinese CK12 are all modified k67, as you pretty much suggest. They sound kind of bad to me using a strict perspective on it. Could it sound fine on a particular person’s voice or acoustic guitar or something? Probably so. What you describe as a ring on the k47…I think of it as the mid range tickling my ear in a bit funny way. It isn’t right. I hate to invoke the “hand selection” trope, but it is true that if you have a bunch of them some will be closer to the real thing than others in the batch.

Josephson is fantastic. Those mics started out with the Haun capsules, then there was some falling out…a lot of those Josephson capsules were initially aimed at being duplicates of what Haun was supplying them, iirc.

With some of those import capsules, if there is sufficient bass response, an aspect of what can be happening is that the overall tension is too low, and the corner frequency on the top end then drops into a lower frequency spectrum. If the corner frequency up top drops too low it can get nasty sounding, imo.
Old 11th July 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
So, is this mic in the same ballpark as u87ai? I spent 1 month working with this and is ****ing amazing
Old 11th July 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwitb ➡️
So, is this mic in the same ballpark as u87ai? I spent 1 month working with this and is ****ing amazing
No.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
No, the Redd is more like a 251. If you check out my YT channel I got both Redd and u87 raws to download (on different episodes)
Gear Addict

Quote:
yes they're 1:1, identical.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch ➡️
Ha ha
Quote:
I would say not.

I've got both a Redd and an 87ai (tho my 87 is modded) and I find their sonic signatures and pickup patterns to be quite different.

The Redd has quite a bit of 'hype' (sparkle?) at the top and bottom of the frequency spectrum to my ears, and a relatively wide cardioid pickup pattern, which form the basis of the most meaningful differences between the two. The omni pattern seems to have extended reach as compared with the 87. The Redd is a more 'colorful' mic to my ears, and also sports some interesting, if subtle color options via the drive and low contour mode options. Additional features such as the output attenuator are useful. I don' find the pad is deep enough to quickly swap between quiet sources and say, a drum kit, being only 10db I believe, but it's still useful. I find the gain range to be quite small, and the output to be relatively low for a line level device, but these limitations can be addressed with subsequent amplification stages. My preferred signal chain is directly into my convertor (ferrofish pulse) with a little gain from the pulse to bring it up when necessary (everything but drums
and loud vocals/sources pretty much). Maybe my favorite thing about the Redd is that the built in preamp feels like it gives me an additional mic input when all my pres are in use. I find the Redd useful on a variety of sources, especially in a decent (or better) sounding room, though it's not often my first choice for vocals (specifically my own).

With regards to frequency response, I find the 87 more 'buttoned up' and polite sounding with a distinct crispiness up top that the Redd does not have, not to mention the signature Neumann mid-range emphasis. It's also what I'd call more articulate where the Redd seems to imbue the signal with more harmonic information. The 87's cardioid pickup patterns seems much tighter, and maybe better suited for closer use than the Redd. Omni pickup pattern seems to have less reach, tho the differences are less obvious here... and of course the 87 has a figure of 8 pickup pattern option as well, which can be useful for mid-side or blumlein stereo recording techniques amongst other things. The 87 has a nice sounding switchable low end roll-off for when you need to filter out rumble, as well as a pad which I have not used all that much, as it seems to have a detrimental effect on the capsule's response.

Anyways, I hope you find this helpful. If I get a moment, I can try to share a sample of the two side-by-side, which, of course, will only represent my voice, setup and room.. but may still provide some useful reference material..

But all told, I'd not consider these mics all that similar. They are both mics.
I believe there is even a thread comparing the redd to an 87, tho that may be a vintage.. and I'm not sure where that thread ended up..

best of luck!

Last edited by themiracle; 11th July 2021 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: typo
Quote:
lol.. why so sour? sourpatch?
Old 11th July 2021
Gear Guru

It's really the Garfield avatar that made him do it!

(cue some Flip Wilson for those who remember him-absolutely brilliant on his skits)
Sour Patch relates to the candies BTW.
Chris
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle ➡️
I would say not.

I've got both a Redd and an 87ai (tho my 87 is modded) and I find their sonic signatures and pickup patterns to be quite different.

The Redd has quite a bit of 'hype' (sparkle?) at the top and bottom of the frequency spectrum to my ears, and a relatively wide cardioid pickup pattern, which form the basis of the most meaningful differences between the two. The omni pattern seems to have extended reach as compared with the 87. The Redd is a more 'colorful' mic to my ears, and also sports some interesting, if subtle color options via the drive and low contour mode options. Additional features such as the output attenuator are useful. I don' find the pad is deep enough to quickly swap between quiet sources and say, a drum kit, being only 10db I believe, but it's still useful. I find the gain range to be quite small, and the output to be relatively low for a line level device, but these limitations can be addressed with subsequent amplification stages. My preferred signal chain is directly into my convertor (ferrofish pulse) with a little gain from the pulse to bring it up when necessary (everything but drums
and loud vocals/sources pretty much). Maybe my favorite thing about the Redd is that the built in preamp feels like it gives me an additional mic input when all my pres are in use. I find the Redd useful on a variety of sources, especially in a decent (or better) sounding room, though it's not often my first choice for vocals (specifically my own).

With regards to frequency response, I find the 87 more 'buttoned up' and polite sounding with a distinct crispiness up top that the Redd does not have, not to mention the signature Neumann mid-range emphasis. It's also what I'd call more articulate where the Redd seems to imbue the signal with more harmonic information. The 87's cardioid pickup patterns seems much tighter, and maybe better suited for closer use than the Redd. Omni pickup pattern seems to have less reach, tho the differences are less obvious here... and of course the 87 has a figure of 8 pickup pattern option as well, which can be useful for mid-side or blumlein stereo recording techniques amongst other things. The 87 has a nice sounding switchable low end roll-off for when you need to filter out rumble, as well as a pad which I have not used all that much, as it seems to have a detrimental effect on the capsule's response.

Anyways, I hope you find this helpful. If I get a moment, I can try to share a sample of the two side-by-side, which, of course, will only represent my voice, setup and room.. but may still provide some useful reference material..

But all told, I'd not consider these mics all that similar. They are both mics.
I believe there is even a thread comparing the redd to an 87, tho that may be a vintage.. and I'm not sure where that thread ended up..

best of luck!
Wow amazing reply thanks, i ask cause i work s lot woth redd this month but i never tried the neumann u87ai, im thinking on buy a good mic for vocals, a lot of sessions in a lot of different rooms in Mia, male and female , my plan is use a good goood mic with my apollo for having a full portable settup
Old 12th July 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle ➡️
lol.. why so sour? sourpatch?
I've been cutting my sugar intake and it's driving me up the walls I swear. My body looks better but my mind? I dunno man.
Old 12th July 2021
Gear Guru

Mine's not lost.
Just temporarily misplaced.
Chris
Quote:
I've been cutting my sugar intake and it's driving me up the walls I swear. My body looks better but my mind? I dunno man.
all good brother.

We're all out here doing our best.
quick samples

Quote:
Wow amazing reply thanks, i ask cause i work s lot woth redd this month but i never tried the neumann u87ai, im thinking on buy a good mic for vocals, a lot of sessions in a lot of different rooms in Mia, male and female , my plan is use a good goood mic with my apollo for having a full portable settup

Lots to consider forsure, but in the end, you should have a spectacular vocal mic either way.

I wish I could tell you which would work better on the range of voices and vocal styles you were working with, but I'm not a very good singer, and I'm the only one I record with these...

Anyways, as non-scientific comparisons go, this one ranks pretty high on the arbitrary scale, and should in no way be considered any sort of real reference for what they will sound like in your circumstances or applications.

Everything was setup ad-hoc. Just put 'em up at my piano in cardioid. Playing and singing, though I did not capture the piano. The Redd was a little further away, which was maybe a weird choice for a side-by-side comparison, but this is how I tend to position them if they are on the same source, so I just kept it.

I generally don't record demo vocals in this position because it can introduce phase artifacts being a little close to a (treated) wall.. but it was just easier to do while playing piano. Also, my voice is probably not like any of the voices you are recording.. because people who sing like me don't generally think they should be making records so.. there's that too.

My untested assumption here is that the UFX+ and Ferrofish Pulse analogue line inputs are indiscernible (A-D).

87:
- 10" away
- into Mercury m72s with 37db of gain
- into RME UFX+

Redd:
- 14" away
- 30db of gain on mic body
-into Ferrofish Pulse

Last edited by themiracle; 12th July 2021 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: trying to upload files
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
They are sonically pretty different. So if the U87 sound is what you're going for than the Chandler won't do it. Same goes if you like the Chandler and pick up a U87. I think like quite a few people do that the Chandler is a bit 251 ish, but with a little of that U47 mid push. I thought it was nice on my tenor voice when I had it here, but I didn't like it as much as some of my other options. I really didn't like it on my wife's soprano voice. It was too sparkly and too enhanced.

I've posted this before, but you can hear the Chandler Redd vs a U87ai on my voice in my video:
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Can some people that own the Chandler Redd go over what your vocal chain looks like? Are you guys primarily using the built in preamp into maybe like a CL1B? Has anyone found an external preamp that seems to cater to the Chandler Redd? How hard are you driving the pre for vocals? What are some general “sweet spot” settings to try on this mic?

I’m very interested in getting a Chandler Redd as soon as I can as I’ve heard nothing but great things about it. Sadly it may take some time for me considering the price and the fact that I’m still paying off my studio monitors (which I feel are just as equally as important).

FWIW, it may be a long shot, but if anybody is willing to trade their Chandler Mic for some of my outboard gear please feel free to PM me or reach out. I’ve been meaning to get one in the studio for quite some time.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKey ➡️
Can some people that own the Chandler Redd go over what your vocal chain looks like? Are you guys primarily using the built in preamp into maybe like a CL1B? Has anyone found an external preamp that seems to cater to the Chandler Redd? How hard are you driving the pre for vocals? What are some general “sweet spot” settings to try on this mic?
The built-in preamp is very nice. However, the reach on the mic is such that you need a good room/space or it picks up room issues if you're gaining it up. And that's a challenge in my circumstance. I talked to Adam about this, and he recommended I chain it directly to my AudioScape Opto, which I have done with great results. (Some of the pro studios have done this as well.) In this setup I've found the +12 setting on the REDD to be my preferred setting. Not loud enough to bring in the room, but a sweetspot where the character of the pre comes out and melds with the AS Opto nicely. AS goes directly to my RME interface.

Regarding outboard pres, I have tried using it through an Avedis MA5, Roll Music Tubule, and a Spirit M4 board. All slightly different, but the most balanced response for me is to the AS. That being said, I've got a Coil CA-70s on order and can't wait to hear how that plays with the REDD.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

I’m very interested in getting a Chandler Redd as soon as I can as I’ve heard nothing but great things about it. Sadly it may take some time for me considering the price and the fact that I’m still paying off my studio monitors (which I feel are just as equally as important).

FWIW, it may be a long shot, but if anybody is willing to trade their Chandler Mic for some of my outboard gear please feel free to PM me or reach out. I’ve been meaning to get one in the studio for quite some time.
My main vocal chain is: REDD Mic with its own internal preamp and that’s usually it. Occasionally I’ll add a hardware LA2A or Atomic squeezebox after it gently to catch a few more peaks. All other processing, if needed, happens when I mix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax ➡️
My main vocal chain is: REDD Mic with its own internal preamp and that’s usually it. Occasionally I’ll add a hardware LA2A or Atomic squeezebox after it gently to catch a few more peaks. All other processing, if needed, happens when I mix.
I tend to patch the Redd into my converter with just a touch of gain on quiet sources from the converter’s line amp. Maybe 8-12 db. Redd mic gain at maybe 2 o’clock?
Tried it with most of my external pres but I didn’t feel it was worth burning a mic in..
I’ll often mult it to a comp like an RS124 or splice or even a kt-2A I keep by the piano for easy access.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I’m using the REDD straight into the CL1B and it’s frankly incredible. For vocals I use it mainly at +24 or +27 and always in normal mode with low contour on, sounds nicely coloured to me yet open and very natural. Months after picking it up and I honestly still can’t believe how beautiful this thing sounds.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

I demo'ed both the Redd and TG on my YT channel. I did like the REDD with my Pacifica pre. Smoothened out the mids a tiny bit. I used the internal pre as I would with any other pre. Just set to a normal recording level. Not to hot or to low. When I didn't use the external pre that is.

I really liked the Redd but after trying the TG I actually think I would go with the TG. It was extremely smooth for a modern sounding mic. The REDD will probably be to bright on quite a few sources. But when it works it will sound glorious.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen ➡️
I demo'ed both the Redd and TG on my YT channel. I did like the REDD with my Pacifica pre. Smoothened out the mids a tiny bit. I used the internal pre as I would with any other pre. Just set to a normal recording level. Not to hot or to low. When I didn't use the external pre that is.

I really liked the Redd but after trying the TG I actually think I would go with the TG. It was extremely smooth for a modern sounding mic. The REDD will probably be to bright on quite a few sources. But when it works it will sound glorious.
I honestly don't notice huge variation with the Redd mic and pairing with other mic pres versus straight in. It always sounds very very similar to me regardless of the pre. There are clearly little differences when you A/B which I can pick out but pretty darn minor to my ears at least. I love the Redd but TG looks incredible as well. I usually use a BAE pre with the line input just to use the high pass filter.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 ➡️
I honestly don't notice huge variation with the Redd mic and pairing with other mic pres versus straight in. It always sounds very very similar to me regardless of the pre. There are clearly little differences when you A/B which I can pick out but pretty darn minor to my ears at least. I love the Redd but TG looks incredible as well. I usually use a BAE pre with the line input just to use the high pass filter.
Yeah it's quite subtle but if i remember correctly I could hear less mid saturation when using an external pre.

Personally I would be interested to hear a non pre Redd. It has a grainy mid quality which might not be so nice in the long run. And I suspect that is from the pre circuit.

Non the less a great mic!
Lives for gear

Tried the Chandler with a DW Fearn VT1, and a respectable Neve clone, much preferred with its own internal preamp.

As the comment above, picks up a lot of the room as has this huge reach other mics i’ve used didn’t have. Acoustic treatment is essential.

Stunningly detailed, with a dash of character. Like all mics it will either suits your needs or it won’t. Its on the bright side (its no U47 or M49), but its unique sounding and built to a really high spec hence the price.

A future classic
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED ➡️
Tried the Chandler with a DW Fearn VT1, and a respectable Neve clone, much preferred with its own internal preamp.

As the comment above, picks up a lot of the room as has this huge reach other mics i’ve used didn’t have. Acoustic treatment is essential.

Stunningly detailed, with a dash of character. Like all mics it will either suits your needs or it won’t. Its on the bright side (its no U47 or M49), but its unique sounding and built to a really high spec hence the price.

A future classic
M49 is a very bright and detailed microphone. It has common with U47 just the capsule.
📝 Reply