Quantcast
Chandler REDD microphone - Page 69 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler REDD microphone
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Not as Transparent/"Being right there" as the REDD, if that's what you're going for. (my fave Manley is the ribbon-ish Silver BTW-very different as we know) This was the biggest quality I noticed right away.

If I were younger and singing Modern Hip Hop and/or Modern R&B for one thing... The REDD would be the ultimate pick for me. Even (way) over a C800G.
Chris
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
Not as Transparent/"Being right there" as the REDD, if that's what you're going for. (my fave Manley is the ribbon-ish Silver BTW-very different as we know) This was the biggest quality I noticed right away.

If I were younger and singing Modern Hip Hop and/or Modern R&B for one thing... The REDD would be the ultimate pick for me. Even (way) over a C800G.
Chris
Thanks. How much of that could you possibly lay at the feet of the REDD being simply brighter? That often translates to the impression of increased detail/transparency/spacially evocative, all else being equal. Of course, preamp choice for the Manley would need to be factored in. Love the Silver, BTW. On my very short list for smooth and unhyped without being rolled off.

Last edited by Piedpiper; 2 weeks ago at 07:36 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Nah, not too bright.
I'm like the Poster Boy for detecting sibilance.
REDD is cleaaaaaarrrrr.
Chris
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper ➡️
I've heard such good things about the Upton and considering it's a valid attempt at an actual clone, your dissing it so strongly comes across as surprising and tantamount to an indictment of the real 251. So just trying to figure out what is going on there. Bottom line always comes down to trying things out in person, but always interested in people's real world experience. I'm not stuck on classic mics and often am partial to what improvements may be possible with modern technology. With that in mind, I'm curious how the Manley Gold, which I like a lot and think of as a modern take on a C12, compares to the REDD.
Don't listen to that guy, he's just an amateur who tries microphones for a few seconds so he can make his youtube video for a little bit of views.

The Manley Gold to me is really similar in sound to the c800g, and I feel like the mic quality is just as good as the c800g if not better. The way the Manley Gold translates the room and the high Frequency content is very close to the c800g in my opinion. I'm not really sure how the REDD compares to the Manley Gold 1 for 1, but I'd say that the REDD is thicker in the low mids and might be a bit grainier sounding than the Manley Gold or c800g. To me the voicing on the REDD is more vintage than modern, and then there's an added top end that might work or not depending on the singer.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch ➡️
Don't listen to that guy, he's just an amateur who tries microphones for a few seconds so he can make his youtube video for a little bit of views.
Come on... He's entitled to his opinion as well. I've mixed a few sessions where an Upton was used on vocals. I can tell you they're ALL over the map though, I remember one of them sounding down right horrible. I guess part of that is the fact they can voice those microphones quite differently.

At any rate, don't say stuff like that about people just because they're saying something you don't like. God knows I've bought and sold a lot of popular mics and outboard gear and hated them. I think it's pretty short sided to call him an amateur, not to mention you're getting feedback from someone who's clearly tried the Upton next to a lot of other mics. Not everyone does YouTube videos to be an influencer. Some of us do it because we enjoy it and want to help out. @ crille_mannen has done a lot of great comparisons that I've really appreciated. It's a LOT of work doing videos like that, I just spent 3 days on a video comparing a compressor for a friends company.

Not going to lie, it makes me a little mad when I see comments like yours. Completely uncalled for. It's fine to say "I've tried the Upton and disagree for X reasons". We have those discussions all the time on here.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv ➡️
Come on... He's entitled to his opinion as well. I've mixed a few sessions where an Upton was used on vocals. I can tell you they're ALL over the map though, I remember one of them sounding down right horrible. I guess part of that is the fact they can voice those microphones quite differently.

At any rate, don't say stuff like that about people just because they're saying something you don't like. God knows I've bought and sold a lot of popular mics and outboard gear and hated them. I think it's pretty short sided to call him an amateur, not to mention you're getting feedback from someone who's clearly tried the Upton next to a lot of other mics. Not everyone does YouTube videos to be an influencer. Some of us do it because we enjoy it and want to help out. @ crille_mannen has done a lot of great comparisons that I've really appreciated. It's a LOT of work doing videos like that, I just spent 3 days on a video comparing a compressor for a friends company.

Not going to lie, it makes me a little mad when I see comments like yours. Completely uncalled for. It's fine to say "I've tried the Upton and disagree for X reasons". We have those discussions all the time on here.
Seems like everyone's an expert these days lol. Anyway I bought the Redd, wasn't really my thing, then I got the Earthworks sv33 and it's really my thing. It's not as colored as the Redd but the isolation alone is way too damn good, it's a condenser sm7b, and unless you got a good room, mics like the Redd, c800g etc will probably reverberate and not really be truthful to their sound. c800g into the Redd preamp is one of the only pres I've used where you hear the mic and not the room as much.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen ➡️
... The Upton was worse in every regard. The Redd didn't have any issues with ...
Own the REDD & have used the Upton. Can not agree with this statement at all. Both mics are stellar & different!
Gear Maniac

Good stuff right here for female vocals. maybe the u47 was tracked too close but the Redd to me sounds better than the u47 in this shootout. Manley Ref C sounds great too.

Another good one, male voiceover:

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

The Manley Gold to me is really similar in sound to the c800g, and I feel like the mic quality is just as good as the c800g if not better. The way the Manley Gold translates the room and the high Frequency content is very close to the c800g in my opinion. I'm not really sure how the REDD compares to the Manley Gold 1 for 1, but I'd say that the REDD is thicker in the low mids and might be a bit grainier sounding than the Manley Gold or c800g. To me the voicing on the REDD is more vintage than modern, and then there's an added top end that might work or not depending on the singer.
The REDD is a straight forward balanced mic that you can tweek to maybe get an altered sound.
But the terms: "grainier" & more "vintage" & has an "added top", sound like you're describing a mix, or use, of the contour, drive &/or the gain (+4 to +33)?
In terms of the Manley Gold being similar to an C-800G ("translates the room and the high Frequency content is very close to") I guess you could use it to punch in a take but they're not similar.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos ➡️
The REDD is a straight forward balanced mic that you can tweek to maybe get an altered sound.
But the terms: "grainier" & more "vintage" & has an "added top", sound like you're describing a mix, or use, of the contour, drive &/or the gain (+4 to +33)?
In terms of the Manley Gold being similar to an C-800G ("translates the room and the high Frequency content is very close to") I guess you could use it to punch in a take but they're not similar.
For sure I agree, you tweak the Redd and it gives you a range of sounds.

And I also agree, you can punch in and thats it. I think quality wise, for half the cost, the Manley Gold is amazing. I mostly track with the c800g for the most part, too important to my voice, it's part of my sound at this point. Either that or an sm7b for vintage type vocals, and a lot of times I'll blend the 2.

Anyway you got a lot more experience than me or other people in the thread or Forum even, so I'd take your word over other random that only use a tool for a few hours.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's funny, how many people actually care that there's a whole tube preamp in there as well? I know the mic and preamp are all "one thing" and you can't just take the preamp out of the equation. I'm just surprised when people suggest "cheaper" options. All I keep thinking is: you're getting a great preamp and a great mic for under $5k. That's without a doubt a lot of money, but I've spent half that amount on individual microphones and preamps separately and felt like I was getting a lot for my money (The TG microphone is a killer deal under $2k).

A big selling point for me is that the preamp is built in. It seems like a lot of people don't seem to care about that though?
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Good stuff right here for female vocals. maybe the u47 was tracked too close but the Redd to me sounds better than the u47 in this shootout. Manley Ref C sounds great too.

Another good one, male voiceover:

She's got a really nice voice. I wish she had taken a step back from almost all of the microphones. That kind of proximity works with some of the brighter mics, but the U47, U87, even the C12 would have done better at 6-8" away. They all have beautiful low ends and don't need that kind of proximity boost. The guys at chandler will even tell you their mic has a huge low and low mid thing and you can give their mic some space.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowV ➡️
She's got a really nice voice. I wish she had taken a step back from almost all of the microphones. That kind of proximity works with some of the brighter mics, but the U47, U87, even the C12 would have done better at 6-8" away. They all have beautiful low ends and don't need that kind of proximity boost. The guys at chandler will even tell you their mic has a huge low and low mid thing and you can give their mic some space.
Ya, that annoyed me as well. She's clearly got decent mic technique though to be able to pull that off without a pop filter. If I put my TG mic on the crazy boosted setting, a lot of vocalist can't get within 12 inches of that thing even with a pop filter. I had to get some GIK PIB booths so I could back that thing off on vocals and still have a relatively dead sound. A lot of artist who have recorded a lot get frustrated when I tell them to "move back" and think I'm crazy. I'm sure the REDD has just as much reach.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos ➡️
+1 on the Manley gold comment. I own all three. The Gold and the REDD and the Sony are very different sounding mics… the Gold is my least favorite of the three on vocals.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi ➡️
+1 on the Manley gold comment. I own all three. The Gold and the REDD and the Sony are very different sounding mics… the Gold is my least favorite of the three on vocals.
How would you compare them more specifically?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Did they ever get around to releasing frequency response charts on this mic?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper ➡️
How would you compare them more specifically?
The REDD is sort of hard to describe for me, mostly because it has more than one “sound.” If I had to define it’s personality, I’d say it’s like a 251 with more control and vibe. The thing that makes me love the REDD is the lack of harshness, while still having great high frequency response. It’s like there is no ceiling, ever.

The Manley Gold just doesn’t do it for me. The top end can get sibilant, the mids are clean but thin… just not the one I ever take out for vocals. Still a great mic (they all are) so I hope this doesn’t come off as bashing… I just never got on with it. I like the Manley Ref though!

The Sony is my second fav of the three… it’s cleaner and more clinical and more focused than the REDD… It’s an amazing vocal mic. Super up-front big modern clean pop vocal sound.

Not sure if this is useful, but I usually use the REDD, the Sony, U87ai, KSM42, or RE-20 for vocals nowadays. The REDD stays up like 90% of the time.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
The REDD is sort of hard to describe for me, mostly because it has more than one “sound.” If I had to define it’s personality, I’d say it’s like a 251 with more control and vibe. The thing that makes me love the REDD is the lack of harshness, while still having great high frequency response. It’s like there is no ceiling, ever.

The Manley Gold just doesn’t do it for me. The top end can get sibilant, the mids are clean but thin… just not the one I ever take out for vocals. Still a great mic (they all are) so I hope this doesn’t come off as bashing… I just never got on with it. I like the Manley Ref though!

The Sony is my second fav of the three… it’s cleaner and more clinical and more focused than the REDD… It’s an amazing vocal mic. Super up-front big modern clean pop vocal sound.

Not sure if this is useful, but I usually use the REDD, the Sony, U87ai, KSM42, or RE-20 for vocals nowadays. The REDD stays up like 90% of the time.
Very useful, thanks, though different than my experience, without having compared them all directly, side by side, which I will obviously have to do.
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Yeah I found that the REDD was more controlled (and had better low mids) than the c800g but the c800g gave me a little more emotion in the vocal performance (probably because it's clearer sounding in general but more sibilant). There's a used REDD locally that I want to buy but I'll need to wait because I had to purchase some Pioneer 900nx CDJs and a mixer so I could be ready for a few shows and festivals (and also my daughter is starting therapy because she's autistic, that will cost us about 20k extra this year). I didn't want to make that purchase, it's so overpriced!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yeah I found that the REDD was more controlled (and had better low mids) than the c800g but the c800g gave me a little more emotion in the vocal performance (probably because it's clearer sounding in general but more sibilant). There's a used REDD locally that I want to buy but I'll need to wait because I had to purchase some Pioneer 900nx CDJs and a mixer so I could be ready for a few shows and festivals (and also my daughter is starting therapy because she's autistic, that will cost us about 20k extra this year). I didn't want to make that purchase, it's so overpriced!
... Sounds emotionally and financially expensive. Hope everything works out. Best of luck.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

What's funny is that the AA CM800T IMHO seems to handle sibilance better than the Sony.
(Based on listening to Paul G's and other clips)

GAP version was better (on me) too, but's around $4K.
Any of these way different than the REDD-of course.

Again, never heard anything this transparent (REDD),
that could do as well with sibilance.
Chris
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS ➡️
... Sounds emotionally and financially expensive. Hope everything works out. Best of luck.
I'm a hard worker, things will be alright. The Canadian government provides subsidy here for autistic kids, now the challenge is to reach someone at the government to get it started, could take months, so in the meantime you gotta do it out of pocket, and they'll cover 60% of it for the year eventually until your kid becomes 6, and then they only give about 4k usd a year.
Gear Maniac

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 ➡️
yes.

Looking forward to V2 of the Chandler mics!
Just going through some of this thread now, but is this confirmed that there is a V2 of the Chandler REDD on the way/in development.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorock ➡️
Just going through some of this thread now, but is this confirmed that there is a V2 of the Chandler REDD on the way/in development.
No, there isn’t a V2.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Adam, are there published frequency response charts for the Chandler mics?
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_f ➡️
No, there isn’t a V2.
There doesn't need to be. It's a masterpiece.

The REDD and Heiserman's forthcoming ELA H251 are the next microphones on my list.

Wade and Adam know what's up!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
There doesn't need to be. It's a masterpiece.

The REDD and Heiserman's forthcoming ELA H251 are the next microphones on my list.

Wade and Adam know what's up!

Better shock mount? Swivel mount? Otherwise I agree, sound wise it is truly excellent!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen ➡️
Better shock mount? Swivel mount? Otherwise I agree, sound wise it is truly excellent!
V2 Shock mount for the Redd and TG and I'll give them a 10/10. lol
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It is always nice when manufacturers have a professional reaction to questions or suggestions even if they don’t agree or see the value in the inquiry, as opposed to taking them on some sort of personal level.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
-publish frequency response(s)…or one better, test each mic and put the charts in the box to make detailed level stereo matching a little easier for people. (That said, maybe tolerances are so good that they all make great stereo pairs.)
-better shockmounts
-traditional type recessed and sealed style switching on the mics
-controlling more mic settings via sending control voltage from psu, if possible

I’d love to see/hear a single stage tube mic from Chandler.
📝 Reply