The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler REDD microphone
Old 26th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Maybe I didn't give the Redd enough of a chance, I tried it next to my c800g and decided to sell it after that, but I wasn't tracking a whole lot of vocals months ago. The difference was subtle when I tested it. I kind of want to try it again with the contour mode on, for my voice it was the best. Too many good mics out there! c800g has that crispy air that comes in or out depending on what you're singing, it's such a distinct feature and makes it so legit I find. c800g with Autotune sounds so good and so urban.

I'll see if I can rent the Redd and record a full song with it, I was too antsy selling it.
Old 26th March 2021
Gear Guru

Whereas for me, a great mic without Autotune, can sound so... Much greater!
Chris
Old 27th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
Whereas for me, a great mic without Autotune, can sound so... Much greater!
Chris
Yeah but it's more about the genre of music than the singing ability. If someone wants to max tune their voice for vocal expression, nothing wrong.
Old 27th March 2021
Gear Guru

Totally agree. I'm just ribbin' ya!

Ironically, Post-Pandemic... There's a real possibility, I may hook up with some Rap/Hip/Hop guys, for Collaboration.
Most likely, I get to be the Olde Soul vocal part, of a song.

Now if a Studio had one of them REDD's (or a TG),
although I regard the REDD, as being very transparent...
I know I wouldn't have to worry about my sibilance,
unlike the Ref C. (Love the Silver though too BTW)
Chris
P.S. Plus for most anyone, unless you've got Beyonce'
coming over , the AA CM800T is fine and dandy.
Instead of the Sony.
Old 29th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlevel ➡️
Hi Martin, I appreciate your YT videos, and you sound great on the Soyuz 017 fet—can you give me your relative thoughts on the Redd versus the Soyuz?

I'd been close to trying the Redd—it seems like a "sounds good on anyone" choice—got cold feet after seeing so many say it's best to be some distance from the Redd. I don't think my room is bad (blessed to have no parallel walls or floor/ceiling), but I've sang close so long it might be unnerving to be far away (your comment is the first I've seen that said close is ok too). I have a Soyuz 017 fet coming Monday, but can send it back or try others.
MJB, I noted your REDD comments on RGO and then found your excellent demo of the REDD you got from Alto. There was a quality to your singing that I thought matched the various reviews of the REDD that I had seen in recording mag, SOS and MusicTech to a T. Based on the extremely high quality performance in your video, I took the leap and grabbed a REDD from VK. It arrived on Thursday this week. I tell you all: no sh#t ... this is a mind-blowingly extraordinary mic (and preamp). Within 60 seconds, I found what Martin and MWagener described to be true for me, as well. It’s absolutely stellar - the sound superiority is instantly noticeable and it is an expensive, almost life-changing difference. Here’s why that statement isn’t overkill: beyond the fact that every distance and mic angle, in any combination of gain or pattern or setting, sounded pro and “final” ... this mic transformed my voice in the monitors and headphones. My confidence soared, my tuning improved, I got goosebumps. It was so fun, and so much more than fun. It’s everything I love about what we do. So I tracked faster and better and was happier in the process. The time savings and confidence boost, alone, justify the price to me. I run the REDD straight into the line in of a Shelford Channel, using no compression or gain, just a touch of high-pass and 8k. I am not a rich man but I used to be a more foolish one, and had an aimless inventory of random gear. I sold everything for a Shelford, Bricasti and REDD mic and with the those two preamps and the Bricasti on aux, the quality and volume of content I’m producing now exceeds any expectation I ever had. Smaller, simpler and better - that’s my mantra from now on. The REDD sealed the deal.

Vincent from Elegant Entertainment, if you’re reading, too, your demo was invaluable, too. Thank you.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by armand63T ➡️
MJB, I noted your REDD comments on RGO and then found your excellent demo of the REDD you got from Alto. There was a quality to your singing that I thought matched the various reviews of the REDD that I had seen in recording mag, SOS and MusicTech to a T. Based on the extremely high quality performance in your video, I took the leap and grabbed a REDD from VK. It arrived on Thursday this week. I tell you all: no sh#t ... this is a mind-blowingly extraordinary mic (and preamp). Within 60 seconds, I found what Martin and MWagener described to be true for me, as well. It’s absolutely stellar - the sound superiority is instantly noticeable and it is an expensive, almost life-changing difference. Here’s why that statement isn’t overkill: beyond the fact that every distance and mic angle, in any combination of gain or pattern or setting, sounded pro and “final” ... this mic transformed my voice in the monitors and headphones. My confidence soared, my tuning improved, I got goosebumps. It was so fun, and so much more than fun. It’s everything I love about what we do. So I tracked faster and better and was happier in the process. The time savings and confidence boost, alone, justify the price to me. I run the REDD straight into the line in of a Shelford Channel, using no compression or gain, just a touch of high-pass and 8k. I am not a rich man but I used to be a more foolish one, and had an aimless inventory of random gear. I sold everything for a Shelford, Bricasti and REDD mic and with the those two preamps and the Bricasti on aux, the quality and volume of content I’m producing now exceeds any expectation I ever had. Smaller, simpler and better - that’s my mantra from now on. The REDD sealed the deal.

Vincent from Elegant Entertainment, if you’re reading, too, your demo was invaluable, too. Thank you.
If you can post a vocal example that would be awesome. Don't ever try a c800g, man it's a mood killer lol.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch ➡️
If you can post a vocal example that would be awesome. Don't ever try a c800g, man it's a mood killer lol.
Tried one. Thought within 10min that this is not a mic for me. The redd feels more like a 251 then an 800G to me.

The Redd triggered my GAS the Sony did not. Even though I found a Sony for 5k which would have been a great deal investment wise.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlevel ➡️
Started thinking...maybe I need a mic so good that I won't waste time wondering which mic to use
The Soyuz into any pre is that mic. Absolute classic.
You can quote me on this: OMFG

(The 017 fet arrived—true, little chance I'm going to reach for any of my other mics with this around...)
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by armand63T ➡️
I sold everything for a Shelford, Bricasti and REDD mic and with the those two preamps and the Bricasti on aux, the quality and volume of content I’m producing now exceeds any expectation I ever had.
I like that idea, one perfect mic, one perfect pre and one perfect reverb.
Nothing in the way of greatness. So now, there won’t be any excuse for sub-stellar work...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Btw, we bought a second Redd mic in December, and a Chandler TG Mic. Having three Redd mics, three Redd pres and one TG mic, I have to admit that the TG combined with the Redd pre really is phantastic, too! The TG is quite expensive for what it is, and the PSU is simply annoying on that microphone, but I tend to reach out for it more often, lately.
Love the Redd Mics on grand piano!!! On drums I prefer the TG, though. Did you guys see that video on Puremix, where Vance Powell uses the TG on floor tom? Man, that is the sound I‘ve been dreaming of.
Old 30th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-hiho ➡️
Btw, we bought a second Redd mic in December, and a Chandler TG Mic. Having three Redd mics, three Redd pres and one TG mic, I have to admit that the TG combined with the Redd pre really is phantastic, too! The TG is quite expensive for what it is, and the PSU is simply annoying on that microphone, but I tend to reach out for it more often, lately.
Love the Redd Mics on grand piano!!! On drums I prefer the TG, though. Did you guys see that video on Puremix, where Vance Powell uses the TG on floor tom? Man, that is the sound I‘ve been dreaming of.
Would the TG suit vocals or is too flat to do so (comparing to the REDD)?
Old 30th March 2021
Gear Guru

The TG is the single most tonally flexible microphone, I've ever heard! So not a concern.

Again IMHO, both microphones are complementary.
Like Chandler designed them.
Chris
Old 30th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Love the Soyuz mics too. Very smooth. The 017 FET should be quite close to the tube. Same capsule, same transformer, very similar electronics, voiced all the same, etc.

I own the 023 Bomblet and want to grab the 017 when I can.
Old 31st March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenorSaxophone ➡️
Would the TG suit vocals or is too flat to do so (comparing to the REDD)?
I really like the TG on vocals so far. With a decent preamp it surely is amongst the best modern mics money can buy, imho. I prefer it over U87, modern Gefell mics, Blue and JZ. It is no replacement for an U47 or U67, though. It does not try tho be, either. Think more of something like a C12A. Great clear midrange, not muddy, bright but not overly bright, full bottom and great usable proximity effect. Those switches on the mic are very powerful. Be careful not to be led to wrong conclusions when testing it, by trying to find a neutral setting. It sounds best if you don’t go for a pseudo neutral setting, imho. Use those colour options!
Old 2nd April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I love my pairs of Chandler mics. I use them on most recordings. Modern classics. Like most Chandler gear.
Hey Paul — I know this was a while ago, but how do you typically use your TGs (if you still have them)
Old 2nd April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostudio ➡️
Hey Paul — I know this was a while ago, but how do you typically use your TGs (if you still have them)
One of my TG's arrived broken so I sent it back.
Now I just have the one which will be assigned to kick drum or bass cab I imagine.
I haven't really used it though as I have other mics I'm more comfortable with.
I'll post something up when I get round to it....
Old 3rd April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
One of my TG's arrived broken so I sent it back.
Now I just have the one which will be assigned to kick drum or bass cab I imagine.
I haven't really used it though as I have other mics I'm more comfortable with.
I'll post something up when I get round to it....
You’re such a....er......”Space”?!! 😐🙄 Doesn’t have the same ring to it. At all.
Old 3rd April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just throwing this out there: I did a fairly comprehensive video on the TG mic and love it to death. I would really love to do the same thing with the REDD microphone and compare it to my TG as well. As much as I would like to buy a REDD at some point, it would be really hard for me to justify the cost. If anyone has a REDD mic and is around the Arkansas area (or will be traveling around here at some point), I would love to have you at the studio and do a video. I think a lot of people would find it helpful. It would obviously be fun to geek out with someone too and play with some cool mics
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head
After weeks, months, years, of hearing audio examples and saving up to purchase a vocal mic as a student, finally did yesterday. An AEA active ribbon and it's light-years practically ahead in the warmth and 3d sound than the Soyuz and especially the TG I was looking at. Granted, condensers vs ribbons, everyone has their personal preference. Sounds like the 017 fet is the best condenser in that price range (sub 3000), if warmth is the goal, yet again, it doesn't have an airy warm quality that Neumann's usually have, though it does have the advantage of having a 3d sound, even though it's slightly dampened. Personal preference I guess.
Gear Head
Quote:
After weeks, months, years, of hearing audio examples and saving up to purchase a vocal mic as a student, finally did yesterday. An AEA active ribbon and it's light-years practically ahead in the warmth and 3d sound than the Soyuz and especially the TG I was looking at. Granted, condensers vs ribbons, everyone has their personal preference. Sounds like the 017 fet is the best condenser in that price range (sub 3000), if warmth is the goal, yet again, it doesn't have an airy warm quality that Neumann's usually have, though it does have the advantage of having a 3d sound, even though it's slightly dampened. Personal preference I guess.
Depends on the use, tg sounds nice on drum overheads, 017 on some vocals, etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Curious, or did I miss something, what does any of this have to do with the REDD mic?
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos ➡️
Curious, or did I miss something, what does any of this have to do with the REDD mic?
Earlier page, compared neumanns to tg in the price range. The topic went from Redd to TG then. So I just thought I should comment here on what I bought. Not to go off topic or anything.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Which AEA did you end up with? I have an N8 and love it on percussion, string instruments, and brass.

I'll also add that while having a top quality ribbon is nice, it in no way does what a top quality large condenser does. So while today you are enjoying your AEA, as you learn and progress you'll be back to checking out the TG and REDD mic again at some point.
Quote:
Whenever I read objective comparisons like this, declaring one mic 'light years' ahead of another or 'the best' in a given range, I'm reminded of the years I spent nursing these very same notions, and chasing that 'best' mic.

Only after I'd spent thousands more than I'd ever imagined in pursuit of said "best" microphone did I start to realize it was basically a myth.

For a given application, in a given mix, on a given day, for a given performance, a $300 Beyerdynamic m201 might well crush a $30k u48 on a vocal. It may not sound as "3D" or "warm" solo'd.. but I find those qualities are generally irrelevant in the context of a mix, and very often misleading. The microphone that sounds best solo'd is frequently not the mic that sounds best in context, at least this has been my observation.

I've since come to the conclusion that there is no 'best' mic. There may be a 'best' mic for certain applications and situations, but even that is relative only to your collection. I've got an AEA big ribbon, which I very much like. It's a great vocal mic for me in my room with a little top end added.. but as much as I love it (and I DO LOVE it) I wouldn't ever say it was 'light years ahead" of the rest. Just different.

Either way, congrats on the new mic. I bet it's amazing. Love to know which one you got.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle ➡️
Whenever I read objective comparisons like this, declaring one mic 'light years' ahead of another or 'the best' in a given range, I'm reminded of the years I spent nursing these very same notions, and chasing that 'best' mic.

Only after I'd spent thousands more than I'd ever imagined in pursuit of said "best" microphone did I start to realize it was basically a myth.

For a given application, in a given mix, on a given day, for a given performance, a $300 Beyerdynamic m201 might well crush a $30k u48 on a vocal. It may not sound as "3D" or "warm" solo'd.. but I find those qualities are generally irrelevant in the context of a mix, and very often misleading. The microphone that sounds best solo'd is frequently not the mic that sounds best in context, at least this has been my observation.

I've since come to the conclusion that there is no 'best' mic. There may be a 'best' mic for certain applications and situations, but even that is relative only to your collection. I've got an AEA big ribbon, which I very much like. It's a great vocal mic for me in my room with a little top end added.. but as much as I love it (and I DO LOVE it) I wouldn't ever say it was 'light years ahead" of the rest. Just different.

Either way, congrats on the new mic. I bet it's amazing. Love to know which one you got.
You need to add a c800g man, you might think it's light years haha.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

(Best Leonard Nimoy/Spock voice)
"Fascinating".
Chris
Quote:
you know man, maybe, but I seriously doubt it.

Now, I've never heard the thing. Ever. So I could absolutely be wrong!

I get the temptation to assume that the most expensive thing must also be the "best".. but over the course of dozens of mic purchases, and time spent with 87s, 67s, 47s, 49s, 84s, 44s, 4038s and a few of the latest 'hot' boutique mics,
I've never found that correlation to make a lot of sense. My observation is that mics just don't work that way.. there is no 'best'.

I'm betting I could get a c800g-pak and still not necessarily want to use it everywhere.. or wish I could replace the rest of my collection with an endless supply of them.. the Sony seems to get used a lot in modern pop, R&B and Hip Hop. I assume it's got some of that sparkly, shimmery effervescent top end detail that seems ubiquitous nowadays... but what do I know? Nothing! Until I hear a mic myself I'm pretty much ALWAYS wrong about what to expect.

I'm sure the C800GPAK can sound absolutely killer on the right vocal, and is probably eminently useful in many or even most situations.. I just found chasing that one perfect mic to be a bit of a red herring is all.. I found that thinking that way only got in the way of making the best choices with my limited funds..

I'm relieved to be in a place where I have all my mic needs covered
..for now at least.
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo ➡️
Which AEA did you end up with? I have an N8 and love it on percussion, string instruments, and brass.

I'll also add that while having a top quality ribbon is nice, it in no way does what a top quality large condenser does. So while today you are enjoying your AEA, as you learn and progress you'll be back to checking out the TG and REDD mic again at some point.
Indeed you are correct, each mic and mic variant has its benefits. I chose the 84a for vocal use primarily, which suits my needs best for at-home recording, exactly what I was looking for in sound, and still does a good job at rejecting reflections surprisingly, I guess my room acoustics weren't as bad after all. It's active, which is a must in my need, and has many characteristics I hear in the top 44 line, without spending as much. Something no other ribbons I heard so far actually deliver, that warmth AEA mics seem to capture.

On the condenser side of things, I am eyeing a Neumann m149 in the future, considering the current trend holds steady (prices seem to be entering TG territory slowly), however most possibly not for main vocal use since the ribbon seems to suit me best. Background vocals etc maybe.
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle ➡️

Indeed I concur that one "best" microphone is simply a myth. It all depends on the intended choice as you said, no perfect mic for all purposes. I guess what I meant to say was, the best sounding on my voice primarily, IN my budget range (a big factor), were the AEA line of mics. I agree when mixed, specific "qualities" of a mic are at times hardly noticeable. Though again, depending on the mix.

Thank you for correcting me, that's exactly the way I meant to put it. I absolutely love AEA mics, especially mine, and find it "different" from the others and more suitable for my needs now. I went with the 84a, being that it falls in and around my budget (actually was spending on planning significantly more, so I was pleasantly surprised), is a big ribbon, and has that quality, while being active. I guess the next best ribbon for vocal use would be the 44a, though it has a more proximity effect and picks up more of the room, which was a concern (apart from the price of course) in my room.
Gear Head
Quote:
A bit too "modern" for my taste in particular, yet again my style is one similar to crooner qualities.
📝 Reply