The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sound Elux 215 & Groove Tube Vipre.
Old 18th October 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Sound Elux 215 & Groove Tube Vipre.

I am thinking of selling the above Mic & Mic pre that I have.
They are both in great condition, but I do not have a clue about how much they are worth.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please.
Many Thanks...
Old 19th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Which Vipre is it? Pre-Fender?
Old 19th October 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
It's the ... variable impedance, all-tube mic preamp.

I'm not sure if they are made anymore..
Old 19th October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ListenUp ➑️
It's the ... variable impedance, all-tube mic preamp.

I'm not sure if they are made anymore..
Yes but there were two different "versions" of the Vipre. The original USA Groove Tubes version, and the post Fender Groove Tubes acquisition version, which I believe was manufactured overseas.
Old 19th October 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Ah that's interesting.

This one has ' Groove Tubes LLC. CA. USA on the back.

Thanks for your help.
Old 20th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If it's the original Vipre preamp @ Ken Lewis may want to make you an offer. I have watched his vids where he uses this Vipre preamp. One sold on eBay, list was $2990, 1 offer of $2049, and it's sold. It did not list the date however. It seems you own the original as well based on this article

Groove Tubes Vipre
Old 20th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, still love mine, also the pre Fender version. I'll probably never sell it. Great as a DI on bass also.
Old 20th October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk ➑️
Yeah, still love mine, also the pre Fender version. I'll probably never sell it. Great as a DI on bass also.
Same here. Does things it's hard to get from any other pre I've used.

New the original models were a bit under US $3k IIRC. They don't seem to come up for sale used all that frequently, which is not all that surprising, really...

Last edited by DarkSky Media; 21st October 2016 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't believe there is any such animal as a "Pre Fender" Vipre. Fender was all about the tube division of GT with the GT purchase and all of the ViPres were built in China. Aspen is on Youtube stating as much, otherwise they would have been totally out control on price. The GT CL-1S comps were built in the US, as they only built a few of them..Aspen thought something like 50 units or so. Somewhere around the 29:30 mark or so, in this fascinating interview, Aspen talks all about the ViPre and where it was built. You will also see more Glory Comps, ViPres and SuPres than you can shake a stick at. I can't imagine the heat being generated.

Old 21st October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash ➑️
I don't believe there is any such animal as a "Pre Fender" Vipre. Fender was all about the tube division of GT with the GT purchase and all of the ViPres were built in China. Aspen is on Youtube stating as much, otherwise they would have been totally out control on price. The GT CL-1S comps were built in the US, as they only built a few of them..Aspen thought something like 50 units or so. Somewhere around the 29:30 mark or so, in this fascinating interview, Aspen talks all about the ViPre and where it was built. You will also see more Glory Comps, ViPres and SuPres than you can shake a stick at. I can't imagine the heat being generated.

From what I understand, there were 2 iterations of the Vipre, mine (original version) was built in the USA (says on the unit). Post Fender were built/assembled in China. I'll dig up my print docs if I still have them here and try and verify that. Could be he's referring to the later version, but I could be wrong.
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here's another cool Vipre video. He also makes the important point about mic/pre matching, and how a mic can sound very different depending on the preamp used with it.

Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Watching these videos makes me want to get another Vipre
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
From what I understand, there were 2 iterations of the Vipre, mine (original version) was built in the USA (says on the unit). Post Fender were built/assembled in China. I'll dig up my print docs if I still have them here and try and verify that. Could be he's referring to the later version, but I could be wrong.
I have the documentation that came with mine.

FWIW, it gives the reference date as 2001 and explicitly lists the address of manufacture as San Fernando CA, USA.

I don't know what happened later (e.g. after the company was acquired by Fender) but Aspen's comments do seem to indicate that some or all of the manufacture may have been outsourced at some point.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
There were 2 iterations of the Vipre, mine (original version) was built in the USA (says on the unit). Post Fender were built in China. I'll dig up my print docs if I still have them here and try and verify that.
That is just not how I remember the sale to Fender going down. Fender wanted the GT tube brand. All production of GT gear stopped once Fender bought it, as I remember at the end of '08. They were just interested in slinging tubes under the GT moniker. There may have been a handful of USA built units but the majority were built in China well before Fender stepped into the picture. I have a ViPre and it is built like a tank as well as my Glory Comp. The one device that I know without a doubt of its build origin is the over chromed CL1s comp. Aspen was kind enough to answer many questions about it before I bought it. That thing gets as hot as the sun too. If you email him, he will probably reply, that is how I got a hold of him. Super nice guy and easily reach-able, at least in my case.

I lusted after these things (Glory Comp and ViPre) for years and researched a truck load well before GT decided to shudder, no matter where it is built, it is a really versatile preamp.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Watching these videos makes me want to get another Vipre
Ya. Sometimes a stereo pair would be nice.

Don't know if I'd enjoy having to find *another* three spaces of rack real estate for one more pre channel, but for another ViPre I might be tempted. ; )
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Here's another cool Vipre video. He also makes the important point about mic/pre matching, and how a mic can sound very different depending on the preamp used with it.

That video hooked me when I saw. It is a good one.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media ➑️
I have the documentation that came with mine.

FWIW, it gives the reference date as 2001 and explicitly lists the address of manufacture as San Fernando CA, USA.

I don't know what happened later (e.g. after the company was acquired by Fender) but Aspen's comments do seem to indicate that some or all of the manufacture may have been outsourced at some point.
Yep, mine does too and says something about San Fernando. I have no doubt that they shipped all the components to China for final assembly as I am sure mine was. I also talked at some point to a guy named Myles Rose that worked there until the bitter end. He shed a lot of light in build locations, a lot of the GT stuff was built "elsewhere" but the quality control was pretty thorough so it was not like buying your typical consumer junk made there.

I'll move along as I don't want to derail this thread any further than I have. Enjoy your ViPre, I know I love mine.
Old 22nd October 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Well let me know if you do and maybe we can sort a price for mine.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well let me know if you do and maybe we can sort a price for mine.
Whereabouts are you located? What mains supply voltage is your unit configured for?
Old 22nd October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That being sad it's hard to find a second have got glory comp.

It could be my wet dream tube comp for spot sources?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Have to say that is one bad ass pre and the demo has me sold...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➑️
That being sad it's hard to find a second have got glory comp.

It could be my wet dream tube comp for spot sources?
Umm... Not sure exactly what you're saying here Wiggy. Are you talking about the desirability of a second Glory comp (e.g. for a stereo pair) or bemoaning the prospects of finding one used??

Either way, yes the Glory is a kick-ass machine - a property that's not at all confined to spot sources (cowbell or rock-out included)! : )
Old 23rd October 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I live just outside of London UK.

Where are you?
Old 23rd October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I live just outside of London UK.

Where are you?
Other side of the globe, unfortunately.

The mains supply voltages would not be a problem (we have 240v~ here) but shipping and customs duty would not be pretty.

Last edited by DarkSky Media; 24th October 2016 at 03:17 AM..
Old 23rd October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes my typing is awful this weekend.

So yeah finding a second hand one is hardy work!
Old 29th October 2016
SEED78
Prob one of the best vocal mics out there - with one of the best vocal preamps out there. I'm jelious!
Old 18th January 2017
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Man, that Aspen Pitgan is pure Genious. Would like to talk to him sometime, and track/mix in that studio. Luckily i purchased a Vipree, cant wait to really start using it, especially now after watching the video of best combinations. I wasnt using it like this.
Old 18th January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Seems like the originals were made in China. See this video at the 28:15 mark.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Got me a glory over the weekend and what it does for vocals and bass are amazing!
πŸ“ Reply