The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2500 Mod
Old 12th April 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
To me it no longer sounds like a 2500...I used the same exact compression settings for the test.
Old 12th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The tone does change but mine is still unmistakably a 2500 with the type of compression it delivers. Give it some time. Of course it won't sound like a 2500 exactly that you are used to. The whole point of the mod was to open it up. If anyone likes the closed sound of the original then don't do the mod.

Maybe try more compression on the no cap version. Since removing them opens it up a little you can dig in more to compensate.

Last edited by Jesse Skeens; 12th April 2021 at 06:49 PM..
Old 12th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'm surprised to hear such a dramatic difference between the before and after. Thank you for doing this. Saved me some pain I reckon.

Were there any other variables aside from the removal of the cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 ➡️
Here's a before and after of the mod I just did.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k3bzaav35...qjKFllcia?dl=0

To my ears, the mod completely lacks the low-end of the unmodded version. Not worth it. Guess I have to pay someone to put those mother-grabbers back in now...

Who was swearing by this mod?!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd like to hear it with another db or two of GR. The cap one just seems more compressed. It does sound a little better since it's glued more.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofer Harris ➡️
I'm surprised to hear such a dramatic difference between the before and after. Thank you for doing this. Saved me some pain I reckon.

Were there any other variables aside from the removal of the cap?
No other variables. Same settings. Same levels. Apparently the cap-less recording was SLIGHTLY lower in volume...this variable was entirely due to the removal of the caps and how this affected compression.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeens ➡️
I'd like to hear it with another db or two of GR. The cap one just seems more compressed. It does sound a little better since it's glued more.
I can certainly play around with it. In the meantime I ordered some replacement capacitors
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I can certainly play around with it. In the meantime I ordered some replacement capacitors
Would be great if you can post any updates. Hearing that glue made me go look for my old caps. There's no pins on them so can't try to put back as now you got me curious.

I wish there was a way to switch between the caps and not. Might try to make a custom thing. It's probably easy to just solder some wires to those spots and then put the caps on a switch. Could even do it for left and right (as I run mine M/S).

What's the specs on the caps you ordered?

From what I know all modern 2500s are made without these caps.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
No other variables. Same settings. Same levels. Apparently the cap-less recording was SLIGHTLY lower in volume...this variable was entirely due to the removal of the caps and how this affected compression.
Did you happen to note the GR you did on the first one? I'd try to match that if possible. If not try it by ear.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeens ➡️
Did you happen to note the GR you did on the first one? I'd try to match that if possible. If not try it by ear.
When I looked, it was about the same amount of GR.

2:1 ratio
about 1 dB GR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
When I looked, it was about the same amount of GR.

2:1 ratio
about 1 dB GR
Reading the intro of this thread again I think those caps reduced dynamic range more.

So it might need more GR on the meter to get the same effect. One of the first posts about the mod was that more GR could be made while still retaining dynamics.

I'd try pushing it more as the cap version definitely seems more compressed overall even if the settings where the same.
📝 Reply