The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
favourite accoustic gtr compressors?
Old 15th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In the moment my favourites on acoustic are a Royer 121 pair in Bluemlein, API 312 and a Cranesong STC 8. If I want to have this wonderful 70ies sound, I use a Valley People Dynamite Compressor ! Funnily never tried an Distressor on acoustics, have to check this out.
I can't stand this 08/15 bright Neumann Sound on acoustics anymore !

kosi
Old 15th October 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Dave said
The real point of the exercize is that I don't have to do anything to double the acoustic except hit rewind, take one channel out of record, and then press play and record again. It saves time and energy.
Thanks for the explanation, Dave. I see the wisdom of having the recorded ac. gtr. track panned hard left or right with the track being that's being doubled oppositely panned. Normally, I have been just giving the ac. guitarist the mix I have in the control room, thinking that he can play better if he knows what it will sound like in the context of the mixed song (however far along it is). This method leaves his guitar panned in the same place it was on the first pass, relying on volume to differentiate the two tracks for the player.

But hey man! I probably don't need to fiddle with the headphone mix if I just pan the doubling part hard L or R of the 1st track during tracking. Less work is good! Thanks for the tip! heh
Old 15th October 2002
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax

But hey man! I probably don't need to fiddle with the headphone mix if I just pan the doubling part hard L or R of the 1st track during tracking. Less work is good! Thanks for the tip! heh
And keep in mind that unless disk space is a problem, the first pass is always stereo - or at least both mics on.. Then you record over one of those two passes when you double.
Old 15th October 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Acknowledged. Now storing in brain flash memory area under recent recording tips data acquistion. I'll have it on the tip of my brain next time I record.

Old 15th October 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
QUOTE:I think the 2264/32264a are the most versatile comps on the planet next to the Distressors and 1176's. With the right EQ they sound great on everything.

Several years ago one of those *shootouts* took place in Chicago. The results were: Soundelux U95S with a Distressor were chosen to be the fav acoustic guitar combination. I happen to have both and used that for a long time. I think it's particularly good for act. gtr. in a rock track. Of late I've been using a pair of Ward-Beck 460LA's into a pair of 2254A's. The Ward-Beck's could be the best sounding pre I've heard on an acoustic guitar, whatever that means.
Benjy
Old 16th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
depends

It really depends on the intended place of the
guitars in the final mix and the type of music.
Generally speaking, 2 121s' into a Flamingo and a VariMu leave options. Contrary to popular belief,
a 121 and a Gold Ref or even a 184 into Focusrite 215's and the Vari Mu sound great.
If it's streaight rhythm, a matche d pair of 184's in a Demeter (rounds 'em off) and the Vari Mu give you lot's of eq. mix options.
Old 16th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
lat!

ok, it's late and my spelling blows, sorry. Don't be afraid of exprimenting with mic placement (over the shoulder around the GP's ears as well as just off the bridge)
Old 4th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Fav acoust guit comp

Funny, I found this thread today.
Yesterday we had the umteenth shoot-out for the very task and for the umteenth time the clear winner was the very little known late 70s "Aphex CX1" (transformer version).
With a number of renowned new-arrivers in our studios we thought it'd be challenged this time.
Well, it aint ...not on acoustic git, anyways.

As for Mic:
We tend to use a B&K if the guit is supposed to sit further back in the track and a U47 if upfront. I agree the Royer 121 is always an option.
An ordinairy AKG C541 is always nice for "over the shoulder" position.
As for Pre - I think the Aurora GTQ is just too good to look any further ;-)
However, for the Royer we prefer the Avalon M5.

By the end of the day it's all down to taste, I guess.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OMFG..

i see my thread has hit the light of day and wondered why this is just such an informative posting thread ..

So may formative GS luminaries posting without any usual aggro and BS.. This post reminds me the halcyon days.. just quality info. Not to say that these days there is still no good information posted, quite the contrary as many recent thread have helped me decide certain purchases.

BTW Thrill... Will be re-visiting my old studio in OZ in May.. let u know how them 2264's sound.. even if they did sound like Darth farken Fader! they still ruled!

BOOM!
WIggy!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Old thread returns from the grave.

No-one mentioned the API 225L, so I'll do it. The 200-series compressor. Probably my favorite compressor ever, and really really sweet on acoustic guitar.

These don't get as much love as they deserve, probably because it's expensive and cumbersome to buy into the 200-series format. These comps are wonderful and make the 200-series rack worth getting.
Old 5th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
dBMusic, not surprised with your shootouts of the Aphex CX-1 as they sound creamy and glassy (very colored) to me. I've got the non-transformer version and will give them a go on acoustic guitars. What rough settings do you use? Looks like I can add the original output Jensen tranny to a module for $65 (Jensen still sells that model) and from the sound of your post, may be worth the investment. As far as I can tell these modules never had an input tranny (both versions are unbalanced in), if you have looked at your transformer version of the CX-1 and I'm wrong, please say so.
Old 6th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am surprised that no one mentioned the trusty LA3A. Those things can be great for acoustic rythmn guitars.

I also like the Cranesong Tracker, LA2A, TT C1B, and of course the just good ole SSL channel compression.
Old 6th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i'm really digging FET and Vari-Mu comp's on Ac Gtr's lately. works really well when you got a song with doubled Ac. Gtr's panned hard L/R... use one on each side, the way they switch attention back and forth is really cool, plus the pillow-y feel gives a nice breathing effect that brings the track to life.
πŸ“ Reply