The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sanken CU-41
Old 30th September 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
... and he sends any mic in need of repair straight to Japan, afaik.
Old 1st October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for that.

The studio I bought mine from I think had theirs (now mine) sent to japan already via the UK distributer but because they cannot sell the CU41 in Europe (EU - Switzerland is outside the EU), they said the capsule couldn't be replaced.. and back it came to the UK, unfixed and minus the now removed damaged capsule. Then they sold it on ebay to me for £250... which I thought was worth taking a risk for. It works fine with the low capsule - a 3k roll-off !

When I have more cash available to pay for repair, I will try to give the Swiss distributer a call. I have a couple of friends with family there too so could go that route.
Old 1st October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumi ➡️
Nice! The E-350 has gotten good company! Your equipment choices show taste...

I still love the two E-350s I still have after selling one to you. And of course I still love my Sankens.
Oh yes! It didn't NEED it, but the Sanken was a good deal and different enough to be a nice option.

Where do you use your Sanken the most ? ( for example vs the E-350, and btw glad you still love them!)

cheers
Old 3rd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp ➡️
Oh yes! It didn't NEED it, but the Sanken was a good deal and different enough to be a nice option.

Where do you use your Sanken the most ? ( for example vs the E-350, and btw glad you still love them!)

cheers
I use my CU41 pair for drum OH, cello, violin, whatever.
I use my CU44 for everything that needs to sound like the source, and for vocals that need to sound real, intimate and like the source.
Sorry, they are really great for anything that needs to sound real. They are more forward sounding and punchy than Josephson mics.

The E-350 has "electric highs" and a very lively sound. I often use it on vocals, but it is pretty universal, too. But it is less transparent.
Old 3rd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use my CU41 pair for drum OH, cello, violin, whatever.
I use my CU44 for everything that needs to sound like the source, and for vocals that need to sound real, intimate and like the source.
Sorry, they are really great for anything that needs to sound real. They are more forward sounding and punchy than Josephson mics.

The E-350 has "electric highs" and a very lively sound. I often use it on vocals, but it is pretty universal, too. But it is less transparent.
Thanks, pretty much what I sensed doing a quick A/B, can't wait to use them both extensively for my new album !
Old 5th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks, pretty much what I sensed doing a quick A/B, can't wait to use them both extensively for my new album !
All the best for your new album!
Old 6th October 2020
Deleted 5f4684d
Any song tracked with the cu-41 on male vocals would be great as there's zero samples out there on youtube.
Old 6th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 5f4684d ➡️
Any song tracked with the cu-41 on male vocals would be great as there's zero samples out there on youtube.
‘wicked game’ by chris isaak comes to mind ... im sure there are a hundred others
Deleted 5f4684d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsmith ➡️
‘wicked game’ by chris isaak comes to mind ... im sure there are a hundred others
Would like to know which lol.

Interesting that you say that about Chris Isaak, I'm listening to it again, and while it's a great song, I don't think the vocals are that good sonically. They're doused in reverb anyway. Sounds like it was cut to tape. I'd like to hear that mic with no reverb and cut to a DAW.

Last edited by Deleted 5f4684d; 6th October 2020 at 05:23 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
All the best for your new album!
Thank you Rumi! I'll have to move first, but then It should be a time, in a good new place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead ➡️

Interesting that you say that about Chris Isaak, I'm listening to it again, and while it's a great song, I don't think the vocals are that good sonically. They're doused in reverb anyway. Sounds like it was cut to tape. I'd like to hear that mic with no reverb and cut to a DAW.
I will do a few A/B's with my E-350 and a small diaphragm condenser. I might end up posting a little demo here.
Deleted 5f4684d
Quote:
Thank you Rumi! I'll have to move first, but then It should be a time, in a good new place.

I will do a few A/B's with my E-350 and a small diaphragm condenser. I might end up posting a little demo here.
Alright sounds good man.
Old 8th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead ➡️

its the only album i know of for certain .. one would assume there are many ithers ... maybe sanken has a list somewhere?? the sound of that vocal was also affected by the fact that it was sung using open bleed from the monitors as opposed to the singer wearing closed headphones ...!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m9B...bgOcng&index=1
Deleted 5f4684d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsmith ➡️
its the only album i know of for certain .. one would assume there are many ithers ... maybe sanken has a list somewhere?? the sound of that vocal was also affected by the fact that it was sung using open bleed from the monitors as opposed to the singer wearing closed headphones ...!
Ah ok then ya, it totally makes sense now. I didn't think it sounded bad, just not what I was expecting if that makes sense. If they got that sound even when recording with no headphones then I'd say it's pretty damn good.
Deleted 5f4684d
Quote:
Originally Posted by packermans4 ➡️
Thanks man I really appreciate, it's sounding pretty damn good, almost like a u87 but with more clarity.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks man I really appreciate, it's sounding pretty damn good, almost like a u87 but with more clarity.
Well The Sanken is soooo clean, there must be a lot in its chain! I hear exciting highs ( EQ In? colorful preamps? 1176-la2a ? ) and it's going to tape for sure. rounds of transformers in and out.

My CAD get me closer to that sound ( as Remi said: "electric highs"), if I use the Sanken straight with my Metric Halo preamp I'm way over in classical land. I need to test it more.
Old 25th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If anyone is interested in another Sanken CU-41 sample on YouTube...

This was recorded at Air Studios in London as a promo for the Focusrite REDNET range. CU-41 on Vocals.

Old 31st January 2021
Deleted 49e1b71
here's the sanken on a (*corny)rap vocal...

cu41-shelford

i like it alot more than the u87... so smooth and warm and clear
Attached Files

role snip.wav (5.74 MB, 484 views)

Old 31st January 2021
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I didn't realize how badly I needed a pair of these . . .
Old 8th April 2021
Gear Maniac

Very interested in this mic. How does this compare to the Soyuz 017 FET?
Old 8th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdornothin ➡️
Very interested in this mic. How does this compare to the Soyuz 017 FET?
If you lend me a Soyuz I'll tell you
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi everyone. Inspired partly by this thread I decided to buy a CU-41. I'd just like to get some opinions here on the sound. I know the mic might come off as a bit dark but I'm suspecting some issues with this one. I recorded a little double bass with the CU-41 and a KM184. I know the KM184 is a brighter microphone but figure it's a sound some folks here might be familiar with. I feel the CU-41 sounds like what nat8808 described as having a lowpass at 3k and that only the lower capsule is working. I expected the KM184 would be brighter, but am I wrong in thinking that the difference in these two mics shouldn't be this drastic? I also compared the mic to and Avenson STO-2 which is flatter and still noticed quite a difference. Am I off in my expectations or am I correct in assuming this mic isn't operating up to spec?
Attached Files

Double Bass 4 CU-41.wav (7.31 MB, 324 views)

Double Bass 4 KM184.wav (7.31 MB, 315 views)

Double Bass 3 CU-41.wav (6.86 MB, 300 views)

Double Bass 3 STO-2.wav (6.86 MB, 297 views)

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashaan ➡️
Hi everyone. Inspired partly by this thread I decided to buy a CU-41. I'd just like to get some opinions here on the sound. I know the mic might come off as a bit dark but I'm suspecting some issues with this one. I recorded a little double bass with the CU-41 and a KM184. I know the KM184 is a brighter microphone but figure it's a sound some folks here might be familiar with. I feel the CU-41 sounds like what nat8808 described as having a lowpass at 3k and that only the lower capsule is working. I expected the KM184 would be brighter, but am I wrong in thinking that the difference in these two mics shouldn't be this drastic? I also compared the mic to and Avenson STO-2 which is flatter and still noticed quite a difference. Am I off in my expectations or am I correct in assuming this mic isn't operating up to spec?
Great playing ! the Sanken that way makes a very cool bass sound, but yes it seems to me like it has a high cut.

I'm no expert though, why don't you send those clips to Sanken ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That’s strange, my cu41 def does not sound like that. Must have an issue with the capsule. Can you return it?
Quote:
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Downloading and playing it in this online spectrum analizer : https://academo.org/demos/spectrum-analyzer/

.. it shows extension into 8Khz on many plucks and to 18khz with one particular pluck but not very strong at all.

So it may not be about the capsule not working but something else... Unless it's secondhand and the top capsule is low on output.

Massive difference between the CU-41 and the others.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
As you can see in the attached spectrum graph of your first CU-41 sample, there is no noise above 2kHz. This indicates that only the lower diaphragm is active, as it has its cross-over around 2kHz.
Attached Thumbnails
Sanken CU-41-cu-41_spectrum.jpg  
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks everyone for your responses. I've sent an email to Sanken and am waiting on their reply.

I purchased the microphone secondhand from Reverb and in my initial correspondence with the seller, their response was that the microphone has a dark voicing. I felt that something must be wrong which prompted more testing, but part of me just wanted a few more ears on this as the seller's response made me second guess what I was hearing.

I'm waiting on Reverb's decision as to whether they believe the mic is operating properly but now I at least feel like I'm justified in believing that something is wrong with the mic. I'll put some of my other samples through the spectrum graph and send the findings to Reverb as well.

Thanks again everyone.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your responses. I've sent an email to Sanken and am waiting on their reply.

I purchased the microphone secondhand from Reverb and in my initial correspondence with the seller, their response was that the microphone has a dark voicing. I felt that something must be wrong which prompted more testing, but part of me just wanted a few more ears on this as the seller's response made me second guess what I was hearing.

I'm waiting on Reverb's decision as to whether they believe the mic is operating properly but now I at least feel like I'm justified in believing that something is wrong with the mic. I'll put some of my other samples through the spectrum graph and send the findings to Reverb as well.

Thanks again everyone.
If you have a good mic tech locally even worth driving a bit, she/he could check the circuit / capsule and attest it's broken. That paper would also be useful for Reverb as to determine it's actually broken.

THEN, with the exact failure you can even join a repair quote from Sanken ( if they do reply) or send it back.

good luck !
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
you need a special tool to open that mic

japan it is!
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
You have been deceived on Reverb with a defective mic. Make a return if possible. The CU-41 is a very full range sounding mic. Your mic was abused.
📝 Reply