Quantcast
Acoustic guitar - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustic guitar
Old 8th June 2002
  #1
Acoustic guitar

Today I got, what I consider, the best acoustic guitar sound in my carreer as an engineer. Here is the setup:

Room:
12x22, drywall, drywall ceiling, cement floor.
6 ASC tube traps behind the player, with reflective side forward, 2 ASC tubetraps to the side of the player, player is sitting with his back to the long wall on a 8x4' piece of 1/2" plywood, facing the 7' controlroom window, no insulation/absorption in front of him.
Microphones:
Soundfield MK V stereo output, Cardioid about 2.5' from end of neck, slightly above guitar.
Soundelux 251 same height as guitar pointing to his right hand slightly left of the soundhole 2' away.
Schoeps CMC5/MK4 at the sattle of the guitar, but pointed towards the bridge, about 2' away from the neck.
Pres/outboard:
MK V: MK V preamp/system, uncompressed, no EQ
251 (cardioid): GrooveTubes VIPRE, 600 Ohm, fast rise time - Chandler EMI compressor Right, no EQ
Schoeps: John Hardy M-1 - Summit EQF-100, slight high end boost - Chandler EMI compressor Left.
From here everythign goes into the Sony DMX-R100 line in-A/D converters then to the Euphonix R-1.

sounds wonderful, full, round, warm no boomy bottom, smooth highs. Add a touch of the TC M6000 Cathedral verb and this gearslut is in heaven.
Old 8th June 2002
  #2
There is only one
 
alphajerk's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
just curious... why not run direct into the R1? [instead of going through the sony] no adc's in it?

sure feels good when you get something that sounds great.
Old 8th June 2002
  #3
Lives for gear
 
C.Lambrechts's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Re: Acoustic guitar

Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener
Today I got, what I consider, the best acoustic guitar sound in my carreer as an engineer. Here is the setup:

Room:
12x22, drywall, drywall ceiling, cement floor.
6 ASC tube traps behind the player, with reflective side forward, 2 ASC tubetraps to the side of the player, player is sitting with his back to the long wall on a 8x4' piece of 1/2" plywood, facing the 7' controlroom window, no insulation/absorption in front of him.
Microphones:
Soundfield MK V stereo output, Cardioid about 2.5' from end of neck, slightly above guitar.
Soundelux 251 same height as guitar pointing to his right hand slightly left of the soundhole 2' away.
Schoeps CMC5/MK4 at the sattle of the guitar, but pointed towards the bridge, about 2' away from the neck.
Pres/outboard:
MK V: MK V preamp/system, uncompressed, no EQ
251 (cardioid): GrooveTubes VIPRE, 600 Ohm, fast rise time - Chandler EMI compressor Right, no EQ
Schoeps: John Hardy M-1 - Summit EQF-100, slight high end boost - Chandler EMI compressor Left.
From here everythign goes into the Sony DMX-R100 line in-A/D converters then to the Euphonix R-1.

sounds wonderful, full, round, warm no boomy bottom, smooth highs. Add a touch of the TC M6000 Cathedral verb and this gearslut is in heaven.

OK, I can live with your setup .... but what brand guitar did you use ... yell heh heh
Old 8th June 2002
  #4
Lives for gear
 
C.Lambrechts's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
pissed pissed I want a VIPRE and a chandler EMI thing too pissed pissed
Old 8th June 2002
  #5
Old 8th June 2002
  #6
Quote:
just curious... why not run direct into the R1? [instead of going through the sony] no adc's in it?
Yes, I have 24 A/Ds for the R-1 but I like the Sony A/Ds just as much and since we are recording each mic on a separate track the patching from take to take is a lot easier going through the Sony.
Quote:
OK, I can live with your setup .... but what brand guitar did you use ...
It's a 1955 Marcello Barbero Flamenco guitar ($22,000rollz ) one of the last ones he made before he died. The guitar is in pristine condition.

And of course Yeff Young, the player is amazing at what he does, that helps just a little.okk
Old 8th June 2002
  #7
Moderator emeritus
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener


It's a 1955 Marcello Barbero Flamenco guitar ($22,000rollz ) one of the last ones he made before he died. The guitar is in pristine condition.

And of course Yeff Young, the player is amazing at what he does, that helps just a little.okk
A rough calculation implies that your signal chain costs a little more than the guitar, which is always appropriate...
Old 8th June 2002
  #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin


A rough calculation implies that your signal chain costs a little more than the guitar, which is always appropriate...
In that case, maybe I should start recording a Fender Squire Strat and maybe I could go on a nice vacation with all the $$$ I saveheh

Naaaaa, a real gearslut wouldn't do thatrollz
Old 8th June 2002
  #9
There is only one
 
alphajerk's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
you should see my fender squire strat its MACKED out. the only thing original on it is the body and neck.... of course i need to refret it now. but it plays like a beast as is super variable with the sound combinations. i love hot rodding el cheapo guitars.
Old 8th June 2002
  #10
Moderator emeritus
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener


In that case, maybe I should start recording a Fender Squire Strat and maybe I could go on a nice vacation with all the $$$ I saveheh

Naaaaa, a real gearslut wouldn't do thatrollz
I know that's right... If you can keep the ratio between the cost of the instrument and the cost of the recording chain within an order of magnitude, then you're doing fine.

I realized that things were a little out of whack over here one day when I found about $6K worth of signal path being used for a shaker overdub. But it was a nice sound...
Old 8th June 2002
  #11
Lives for gear
 
C.Lambrechts's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin

I realized that things were a little out of whack over here one day when I found about $6K worth of signal path being used for a shaker overdub. But it was a nice sound...

pissed no kidding pissed
Old 8th June 2002
  #12
Founder
 
Jules's Avatar
okk heh
Old 9th June 2002
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
vsl666's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
acc gtr

[FONT=times new roman][COLOR=blue]

yeah gotta love that soundelux 251 ...

i used to use a tele 251 on acc gtr alot but i have to say

i am getting much better results with the elux !

who'd have thunk it huh ??


i guess its coz it aint quite so dark and heavy but still
does ;;that thing ....


evileye evileye evileye

ps it aint to hard to spend $6000 on an acc gtr if u put your mind to it ..tho i like 60's gibson j45's ... yeah
Old 9th June 2002
  #14
Founder
 
Jules's Avatar
I have a 1953 Gibson SJ (like an early J45)

It's great...
Old 9th June 2002
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
vsl666's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
53!!

heh

ooo u lucky sod

show us a pic!

what strings do u use? out of intrest ....

is it a mean blues machine ?okk okk
Old 9th June 2002
  #16
Founder
 
Jules's Avatar
I like DaDario strings.. (light, the action is a bit high and there is no scope to shave the bridge down further)

When I get a digital camera, I will put a pic up!

I got it for $500 at "We buy guitars" 57th St NYC... in 1983... they got the age wrong! They thought it was a late 60's gtr..

"Wake up little Suzi" by the Every Bros was done on an SJ or so the Gibson gtr book says..

Old 10th June 2002
  #17
Gear Maniac
 
vsl666's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
$500!!

$500!!! beam me up scotty !

some guys get all the luck

some guys get all the ......

yell

whilst we are on the subject ..

nice forum jules ..

i like fender 150's me self but its all in the best possible taste..


xxx

ps a gear slut with no digi camera ??

pps im a bit upset about only being gear intrested
it sound like i am a healthy balanced person
with a passing intrest in audio but who otherwise leads a nice sensible life with the wife playing golf at the weekend.
whearas in reallity i need to go to GSAmadd madd rollz
Old 10th June 2002
  #18
Lives for gear
 
drundall's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
i love hot rodding el cheapo guitars.
Me too, I've got about ten of 'em. Some have turned into beautiful recording guiars that have beat out PRS's.

OK, here come the flames...
Old 25th August 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Such a nice vintage early Gearslutz's thread.
Romantic early 2000s style.
Old 28th August 2019 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➑️
Such a nice vintage early Gearslutz's thread.
Romantic early 2000s style.
ahh...the good old days.


i remember this thread like it was yesterday....and it was 17 freakin years ago.

life is strange.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 71 views: 17992
Avatar for username
username 1st March 2007
replies: 0 views: 1351
Avatar for ginglat
ginglat 19th March 2010
replies: 93 views: 48977
Avatar for d.dot
d.dot 1st December 2019
replies: 82 views: 7309
Avatar for danoc
danoc 5th September 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump