Quantcast
Retro Instruments STA-LEVEL instead of an LA-2A? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Retro Instruments STA-LEVEL instead of an LA-2A?
Old 24th April 2010 | Show parent
  #31
Lives for gear
 
Marcocet's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander ➡️
the STA is a gearslutz hype of the year. the la2a one of the most prooven pieces of outboard there is...your decision.
The Beatles are hyped. Does that make them less good than the Zombies?

That concept just doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyway I've been loving STA-Levels since long before Phil released his and brought them back in style. And I know plenty of other great engineers who have too. If I had to pick one (hell, back when I had to pick one) I would have (and did) pick the STA, but they're both great pieces and that's not the right decision for everyone. You'll really just have to try them both.
Old 25th April 2010 | Show parent
  #32
Gear Addict
 
amanitas's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
In my experience,

the LA-2A is probably better as a functional compressor to actually compress stuff.

The STA-Level does something very nice to certain sources, more or less regardless of how much compression you are using.

To me, this equates more to a mojo/vibe thing. That said this is also using a newer LA2A and a Retro Sta Level, I don't have a lot of experience with the originals, which could be a totally different ballpark (esp. the LA2A I would imagine, I've heard that the Retro is pretty much identical to the Gates in build quality)
Old 25th April 2010 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
mobilemozart's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Loving my Retro Sta-Level, use it on every mix, usually on high energy lead vocals, hitting it hard with an SSL EQ (either Waves Plug or the real thing). Great on many other things, but since I only have one, it's mostly doing chorus lead vocals.

I don't have the LA-2A, but let me throw in that the Summit TLA-100A is worth a shot when we talk about tube compressors. Whenever the Sta-Level doesn't work for me, the Summit does. It's less colored and agressive and one of the best tube comps ever.

I often run my lead vocals through both in parallel and pull the Summit Channel up on the verses, the Sta-Level Channel on the chorus.
Usually both are followed by an UREI LA-22, but as all LA-22 users know, it is not allowed to talk about these on gearslutz.
Old 25th April 2010 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
YRLK's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Benway ➡️
Never used the Sta-Level but I will say this about my (old) LA 2A.. If my wife would let me.. It'd be sleeping right between us every night.. EVERY night I tell you!!!
Um... if you're going to do this, you should probably put some bubble wrap around it. And by "it," I mean the compressor, of course. All racks (including the LA2A, which I really dig to say the least) have pointy corners.

Furthermore, I'd rather enjoy the warmth of my wife (someday... not quite married yet) than the coldness of metal, but that's just me. =)

*And I know you weren't being literal, but I thought it was a fun visual. =)
Old 25th April 2010 | Show parent
  #35
Gear Head
 
Jeancab's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I think that a good LA-2A is MUCH more versatile.
I use my (old) LA-2A almost on every session, when I actually have not so much use for my STA-Level, really a one trick pony, IMO…
Old 22nd August 2010 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
tapehiss's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Reviving this thread for personal reasons.

I am about to dish out some dollars for a vocal comp...

I'm thinking either the LA2A or STA (reissues).....

It seems that more people recommend the LA2A for that...

It's a tough one, and reading this thread hasn't really brought me to any conclusions that I hadn't already made...

I just want a really great vocal comp, and I love color...

Maybe I'll just flip a coin on Monday and call it good????
Old 22nd August 2010 | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss ➡️
I am about to dish out some dollars for a vocal comp...

I'm thinking either the LA2A or STA (reissues).....

It seems that more people recommend the LA2A for that...

It's a tough one, and reading this thread hasn't really brought me to any conclusions that I hadn't already made...

I just want a really great vocal comp, and I love color...

Maybe I'll just flip a coin on Monday and call it good????
LA2A for the first classic vocal comp purchase
STA for next classic comp purchase
Tube Tech and 1176/MC77 can be anywhere before, in the middle or after aforesaid purchases.
Than start to save coins for some really cool modern compressors.
After all done, Germanium comp waits for you.
I'll not mention special comps like UBK Fatso, Smart, Elysia etc.
Old 22nd August 2010 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
jimmydeluxe's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrlk ➡️
Um... if you're going to do this, you should probably put some bubble wrap around it. And by "it," I mean the compressor, of course. All racks (including the LA2A, which I really dig to say the least) have pointy corners.

Furthermore, I'd rather enjoy the warmth of my wife (someday... not quite married yet) than the coldness of metal, but that's just me. =)

*And I know you weren't being literal, but I thought it was a fun visual. =)

Maybe the reason you don't agree is in your response ("not quite...")? heh
Old 22nd August 2010 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
tapehiss's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➡️
LA2A for the first classic vocal comp purchase
STA for next classic comp purchase
Tube Tech and 1176/MC77 can be anywhere before, in the middle or after aforesaid purchases.
Than start to save coins for some really cool modern compressors.
After all done, Germanium comp waits for you.
I'll not mention special comps like UBK Fatso, Smart, Elysia etc.
That sounds like great advice!!!!! I think I'll start there.... Thanks!!!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 66 views: 12651
Avatar for Barnaby150
Barnaby150 19th October 2020
replies: 219 views: 20425
Avatar for UnderTow
UnderTow 20th December 2011
replies: 126 views: 13153
Avatar for Wiggy Neve Slut
Wiggy Neve Slut 5th May 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump