Quantcast
IF YOU HAD A CHOICE... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IF YOU HAD A CHOICE...
Old 1st February 2007
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
IF YOU HAD A CHOICE...

Hello all. I am about to upgrade my home studio. I really want to buy a high end vocal mic. I was looking at a Nuemann M149 or Soundelux ELUX 251. Any suggestions? Also, If you could buy a good set of mic pres, what would you get. I already have a pair of Avalon 737's and a Focusrite ISA 110. I was thinking a Great River MP2NV, Avalon 2022, or 2 Chandler TG MKII's. Matched up with the pre's I have, what do you think would be a good choice?
Old 1st February 2007

๐ŸŽง 10 years
i just went through this exact same process -

If you are going to use it for vocals (like me) - the Soundelux E251C is the best way to go - its the Cardoid only version of the E251 and its almost $2K less -

mine is being overnighted to me - got it through GC Pro for $2788 + tax + shipping

if you are serious - call Mitch at 410.935.3428 and tell him i gave you his # - (Andrew Flint)

regarding your pre choice - i also just went through this - for a top notch tube pre that i would also use with synths, bass, guitar, maybe a cello - and i got the Pendulum MDP1A
Old 1st February 2007 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hay,I'll share with you an experience I had with a 149....

I tracked some vocals in a studio using a 149,and when the project moved to a second studio we had to change a few words in the take ,we didn't have a 149 so I used an early u87 for the changes .

I used the same mic-pre (modded Neve 1272) and the sound was almost identical ,I cant hear the extra 2000$ on the 149 ,its cleaner but not 2000$ cleaner ,to my ears.

RH
Old 1st February 2007 | Show parent
Dan
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I have to disagree with the m149 sounding similar to a U87. I have multiples of both, and U87s of different vintages, and while they all have a similar quality, (as most modern Neumanns) the 149 is a step up. It's got a better bottom, takes eq better, and a different top. I can't really speak to wether the price difference is worth it, especially if you're only using it for vocals, because I bought mine on the used market, and at the time there was only about a $700 price diff between the two.
For the 251 sound, I picked the Lawson over the Soundelux. As far as a pre, I'd also think about a tube pre. Maybe a V76? that would be nice!
Old 2nd February 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Brauner VM1 the best you can get!
Old 2nd February 2007 | Show parent
Baz
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Re the MP2NV. I just used it for the last 2 days with an 87i and a CL-1B and thought the chain worked very well for this F vocalist. I'd like to try it with a more aggressive M vocal for some more scope, but the chain was great,imho.

I had been in on a session awhile back with the same pre and an 87ai and wasn't nearly as impressed, so ymmv.I found it to be harder sounding.
๐Ÿ“ Reply