Manley Elop plus - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Manley Elop plus
Old 21st May 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW ➡️
Can anyone speak to the plastic feet on the bottom of the new ELOP+? Meaning, can they be easily and cleanly removed to allow racking without scratching up anything that may be below it?
I do not have anything racked beneath mine. Moreover, I have not attempted to remove the feet.
However, I can tell you that they are very soft and rubbery, so I doubt they will scratch other units.
Old 21st May 2016 | Show parent
CDW
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcollen ➡️
I do not have anything racked beneath mine. Moreover, I have not attempted to remove the feet.
However, I can tell you that they are very soft and rubbery, so I doubt they will scratch other units.
Thank you, Matt!
Old 28th July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just ordered one of these to use on vocal bus.
Any more user feedback?
Old 28th November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=anguswoodhead;12040895]Just ordered one of these to use on vocal bus.
Any more user feedback?

Yes, I love the ELOP+. It is my new favorite bass and vocal compressor. This unit is very sweet.
Old 28th November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcollen ➡️
Yes, I love the ELOP+. It is my new favorite bass and vocal compressor. This unit is very sweet.
Yep. Loving mine on vocals.
Old 28th November 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Any comparison of ELOP+ sound vs Retro Sta Level and/or vs LA2A (Teletronix/UA, not Warm or other clones please)
on vox (esp female) and bass?

Thank you!
Old 5th June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I did a session today with a vocalist who was incredibly dynamic. I used the ELOP+ in the 3:1 COMP mode to even out the performance. This unit is golden. I can't believe that more people aren't talking about this amazing piece from Manley. The COMP mode is pure vocal processing magic that makes this unit well worth the sticker price.
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just about to pull the trigger on this one for mixer channel compression and of course other duties as well. I already have a Nu Mu and Massive Passive on my mix buss. How are people liking theirs? Versatile allrounder or best on a few specific things? Is it always very well behaved and clean, or can it have some attitude or color? I dial in most of my color amd attitude from parallell heavy handed compression and distortion on sub groups anyways. Hoping it will rock for vocals and instruments like guitar and rhodes, maybe bass.
Old 2nd November 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckdaddy ➡️
Just about to pull the trigger on this one for mixer channel compression and of course other duties as well. I already have a Nu Mu and Massive Passive on my mix buss. How are people liking theirs? Versatile allrounder or best on a few specific things? Is it always very well behaved and clean, or can it have some attitude or color? I dial in most of my color amd attitude from parallell heavy handed compression and distortion on sub groups anyways. Hoping it will rock for vocals and instruments like guitar and rhodes, maybe bass.
It has a color, but in my opinion, it is the perfect color for bass and vocals. I typically use it in the 3:1 mode, but I occasionally use it in limit mode. Below is a link to a song where I used it in limit mode on the vocals.

The signal chain was a U67—> Black Box Analog Preamp—> Manley Elop+.

https://www.reverbnation.com/collenp...elle-gone-away

Last edited by mattcollen; 2nd November 2017 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: Forgot link
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Installed one in my rack today
Old 27th November 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Let us know what you think
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Haven’t done more than one mix, but I liked how it controlled a bass guitar in limit mode. Came through nice. I have new tubes on the way as one of the tubes it came with are noisy. One thing I didn’t like is that the labeling of POTs are underneath them and not over them as on the anu Mu (see image). They are mirrored, so backwards on the second channel, so it’s easy to turn the wrong one if not paying attention. Will get used to that of course.

Attached Thumbnails
Manley Elop plus-b44e0ddd-e3e3-4ed9-a6b6-06ade70138a6.jpg  
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Also tried it on one of my mixes mixed through the Nu Mu, and I liked what I hear when doing just a little, both modes sounded nice but I dug the limit mode again. Maybe because it needed a different «ratio» than compress mode which would be more similar to what the Nu Mu did.
Old 3rd March 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like this in Limit mode with HPF enabled for bass guitar, really nice. Only downside is I then don’t have a stereo Elop+ for other things in the mix. I’m thinking it wouldn’t hurt to have two of these in my rack.
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I've had this unit for a few months now and I'm really liking it. For my last few projects it's been in the chain on most of my overdubs. Even in bypass I find it does something really nice to signal. Tracking with it has really shortened my mix time.
Old 28th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➡️
I just spent the day with this box, and all I have to say is wow. You can hear it in our Clipalator on all sources.

The newly added 3:1 ratio is absolutely fantastic, on most sources I preferred this lower ratio but being able to go deeper with threshold.

It controls things in a way that things simply do not sound compressed. The attack is medium-ish, the release is so fast and smooth though that it keeps things on the surface without hearing a pump. The open sound and retained high frequency response is an amazing feat.

The other good news is how stellar it was on our mix buss test, again just open and smooth and glued without sounding that way. Clean, with some tube goodness and definitely a "size" to the image since it avoids that pinched effect so well.

I'm a fan, and the price is silly when you compare to most anything.

War
Hi War
Love your posts very helpful

I’ve ready your fondness of the TC Phoenix. How does the Elop+ compare? I don’t have much experience with optical compressors. Thanks!

T
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustin187 ➡️
Hi War
Love your posts very helpful

I’ve ready your fondness of the TC Phoenix. How does the Elop+ compare? I don’t have much experience with optical compressors. Thanks!

T
The Elop+ is very clean and smooth, and not as capable of pushing hard like the Phoenix in standby mode. It's a "point and shoot" style compressor that takes very little setup for tracking vocals etc, and mixdown is a breeze.

I would choose the Phoenix if I really wanted to hit it HARD, the Elop+ for easy and predictable compression that sonically stays out of the way.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➡️
The Elop+ is very clean and smooth, and not as capable of pushing hard like the Phoenix in standby mode. It's a "point and shoot" style compressor that takes very little setup for tracking vocals etc, and mixdown is a breeze.

I would choose the Phoenix if I really wanted to hit it HARD, the Elop+ for easy and predictable compression that sonically stays out of the way.
Thanks a lot. I think the Elop could be nice for me as a tracking comp. but I do have options. Maybe not optics. But transparent and colored. Just the slut in me nagging that I don’t have an optical compressor.

And for just a tickle on the 2bus does the ELOP win at lower compression there too?
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustin187 ➡️
Thanks a lot. I think the Elop could be nice for me as a tracking comp. but I do have options. Maybe not optics. But transparent and colored. Just the slut in me nagging that I don’t have an optical compressor.

And for just a tickle on the 2bus does the ELOP win at lower compression there too?
It excels at lower compression ratios and not sounding compressed.
Old 17th January 2021
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
What is your general feeling of buying a unit with fixed Attack and release settings?

Isn't this a high risk shopping that will maybe only work in certain sources?

I mean, I am looking for a all arounder 2bus compressor for the end of my chain. Some demos of this piece sound really good but I'm a bit hesitant it might not work in many occasions.
Old 17th January 2021 | Show parent
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am a little biased because I am selling a Manley Elop + in classifieds.

However, I do not recommend it for the 2 buss. I recommend it on a vocal buss, strings buss, acoustic guitar, and similar.

Also, good for general tracking.

BUT for 2 buss - my ideal would be something like a dramastic audio obsidian and perhaps a Thermionic Phoenix, or even better the dramastic with a Highland BG1 which is fabulous.

I hope this is helpful.
Old 17th January 2021
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Thanks for the hint
Old 18th January 2021 | Show parent
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You are welcome. Obviously, I am trying to sell my Manley Elop + which is great on vocals and the like and vocal buss, etc.

But I do not want someone to be unhappy. I would not use it on the 2 buss at all! (Hopefully, this was even more than a hint.

Best of luck to you, makasi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makasi ➡️
Thanks for the hint
📝 Reply