The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How To Care For a Tube Mic?
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
How To Care For a Tube Mic?

Just got my first tube mic and I wanted to know if there are any specific ways to care for it so I can make it last a really long time.

Peluso 2247LE

Thanks
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Keep it covered. of course. You could use it hanging upside down, with the capsule on the bottom, so the tube doesn't heat it up, but don't know if that's applicable to that mic. Also, they say don't knock the mic around when the tube is hot.
Old 28th January 2007 | Show parent
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
When not in use, keep it in a tightly sealed case with silica inside the case, and keep the case itself in a dry consistantly cool room (if you are comfortable in the room, so will the mic be).
Old 21st August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thread Revival!!

Anyway, once the mic is up and running all plugged in. Does it matter if you only use it in thirty minute or 15 minute intervals and then take it down? Or should the engineer leave the mic on for a good hour and then shut it down.

Sorry just got my first tube mic too. M149, pretty stoked to go get it but I don't want to hurt it at all.

Thanks,
Kenny
Old 21st August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyS ➡️
Does it matter if you only use it in thirty minute or 15 minute intervals and then take it down? Or should the engineer leave the mic on for a good hour and then shut it down.
Maybe if your doing an other session after an hour it might be better to leave it on but I see no point leaving it on otherwise.

Couple of basic things that are maybe worth mentioning. You should never plug or unplug the mic when the PSU is on. You should also wait couple of minutes, maybe more, after shutting down the PSU before you unplug the mic.
Old 22nd August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasarski ➡️
Maybe if your doing an other session after an hour it might be better to leave it on but I see no point leaving it on otherwise.

Couple of basic things that are maybe worth mentioning. You should never plug or unplug the mic when the PSU is on. You should also wait couple of minutes, maybe more, after shutting down the PSU before you unplug the mic.
Most tube mic's [and tube gear] sound better when they have been 'hot' for at least 30 minutes...IMO.

Use the Silca, let the mic cool before shaking it, don't smoke, keep it clean, and periodic maintenance from the likes of a tech like Klaus Heyne and you will have a tool that can last for 100 years...

Old 23rd August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool thanks for the input, is there any reason why I have to keep it in it's dust cover while in it's wood box, it came to me that way so I was just curious. It's kind of a pain.

Thanks,
Kenny
Old 23rd August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyS ➡️
Cool thanks for the input, is there any reason why I have to keep it in it's dust cover while in it's wood box, it came to me that way so I was just curious. It's kind of a pain.

Thanks,
Kenny
Dust is the enemy...the cover just helps keep the dust away. I often put them in bags with silca...

best-
Jonathan
📝 Reply