The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Great River MP-2NV vs. Phoenix Audio DRS-2
Old 25th January 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHunter ➡️
. My goal with GS is to draw on my 24 years as a recordist to comment, inform, and advise.
Really? Representing Mercenary Audio is in no way part of your role here?

Vari-Mu
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs ➡️
I've been following the whole thread, I know who's who by now
I agree that transparency is the way to deal with this issue....so let's have a little more of it.

It can't be assumed that everyone who reads or will read this knows who is who just because you do. This thread will be around forever via search engines etc.

Does Tony know first hand what's going on at Phoenix Audio? If he does, fair enough. If he doesn't then he shouldn't be using hearsay to steer a purchaser away from a product he doesn't sell and towards one he does. Particularily where he has not made it clear to all that he is one of the few dealers for the piece he is recommending.

If you guys can't see that there might possibly be an ethical problem with that, then that's ok. I don't agree with you.

To try and make myself clear....I don't have a problem with dealers expressing opinions about pieces of gear....I have a problem with how it was done in this instance

This horse is dead. Let's take the saddle off it and get another one.

Cheers

Vari-Mu
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hey JD - have you looked into the Hand Crafted Labs Affinity A2

there is a blind comparison here with the Affinity A2 vs ...
- https://gearspace.com/board/showthread.php?t=48745

its not with the GR but maybe someone else could do one

i was leaning toward the ME-1NV or the 2NV and now I'm leaning toward the Affinity A2 and their Faust F2

did you record the Elton cover using the GR - your voice sounded great on that

-Andrew
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Would you buy an automobile from a salesman who couldn’t distinguish between whether a car had a diesel or gasoline engine? That’s the level of incompetence we’re talking about here…

If you want to take gear recommendations from someone so pathologically inept that he or she: a) thinks a $7,000USD equaliser is based around Integrated Circuits as opposed to discrete components (which impacts the price and construction massively) - and - b) implements inductors as opposed to pioneering active circuits that gave the designer his name, then I feel sorry for you...

BTW - there are many more links I could provide, but I won't out of respect to the High-End moderators.

Justin
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vari-Mu ➡️
Really? Representing Mercenary Audio is in no way part of your role here?

Vari-Mu
Drew, I'd be willing to bet that part of your job requirement at Mercenary is to maintain an online presence at Gearslutz. Am I right?

-R
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vari-Mu ➡️
Does Tony know first hand what's going on at Phoenix Audio? If he does, fair enough. If he doesn't then he shouldn't be using hearsay to steer a purchaser away from a product he doesn't sell towards one he does. Particularily where he has not made it clear that he is one of the few dealers for the piece he is recommending.
Yeah, this casual dismissiveness bothers me. And to make a general point, not necessarily about Tony. In some cases, where there may be a history of bad blood between two companies, it would seem that the dealer for one product might show a little discretion when criticizing the product of the competitor. Otherwise credibility is even further undermined.

Over and out.

-R
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Can we get back on topic here please.

From this point on at least. Thanks.

And fwiw ... from this point on I will delete anything that is not on topic. Just mentioning it so you don't have to bother to write me or the other mods a 3 page PM complaining about it.

Thank you.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman ➡️
It stands to reason you'll get a more unbiased opinion from a user than a dealer.
Which is in itself an opinion.

I would much rather speak to any of a number of reliable and professional dealers who I go through, where I regularly get "you wouldn't like this" or "probably not for you" etc. etc.

As for the thread in itself, I have to put my hand up and declare that I own two DRS's. In other words, I bought them, therefore I'm naturally going to rave about them ... not to mention I recently had my DRS 4Q repaired and turned around in a few days for free, so the company can't be in that bad a shape. (Well, I hope not ....)
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermionic ➡️
GML do not use ICs for any of their signal-paths and GM is religiously opposed to them...(he tried them in early prototypes, but prefers discrete).

Considering the choice to use discrete will have a massive influence on the price of a unit, I would consider it essential for any dealer of pro-audio to appreciate such a fact...

Don't worry about paying me for the lesson (not that I've taught you anything clever - very basic stuff here - not 'brains trust'...)- it's the clients I feel for...

Best I can remember, the 8200 had some LM394's in the circuit path which I've always thought as an IC... I clearly stated the 8200 uses a discrete op amp for the output stage. What we are discussing is beyond the knowledge of the greater majority of users, engineers, dealers, and all but the "geekslutz".

Whether I have the schematic of a GML 8200 memorized or not has nothing to do with this thread or discussion. We all make mistakes on occasion. I have no problem admitting when I am wrong about something. If it doesn't contain any LM394's or has no IC's, then my apologies to George for the misinformation. As you could clearly see in my post, I stated I wasn't positive of the inner-workings of the unit.

Anyway, your continuing to knock my credibility serves no purpose, other than self promotion. I've been in this industry for over 10 years and my clients comprise some of the biggest names in the industry.

Sorry Chris, I felt I needed to respond to the constant barrage of negativity from the poster in question. If you feel the need to delete this post, please delete the three posts from Thermionic I was responding to.

Have a nice day!
Old 26th January 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
changed my mind.
Closed