Quantcast
Any opinions on new ATC tweeter vs old . . . ? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any opinions on new ATC tweeter vs old . . . ?
Old 1st October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audeo ➡️
Is the picture shown above actually taken from (I could be wrong) a marketing shot of the SCM 45A Pro rather than a 50? Apologies for being so pedantic!
Nope. The top one with the new tweeter is from a marketing shot of the 50ASL Hi-Fi classic (only differences is the edges is stepped instead of filleted on the Hi-Fi baffle -- but spacing is the same on the baffle).

The bottom one with the old tweeter is taken from the VK product page of the 50ASL Pro (they haven't updated the pictures of the 50 on up with those having new tweeters.)

I can find other pictures of the new tweeters on the 50-100-150 Pro but they aren't very good since they are camera phone pics. I have directly in front of me right now the 100ASL Pro with new tweeters and they are the exact same spacing in relation to the nearest horizontal edge and top edge on every 50-100-150. With the size change between speakers, the outer edge distance increases on the midrange/tweeter and the distance below the increased sized woofer but the other two stay the same (top and nearest horizontal.)

The only reason the tweeter isn't closer to the midrange is because of the massive magnet of the midrange behind the baffle. Seems when they made their own tweeter, the tweeter's front plate/waveguide was reduced so they could get it closer verses the SEAS (which by comparison has a huge front plate/waveguide that they still have to keep the spacing for the retrofit.)
Old 1st October 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon ➡️
Nope. The top one with the new tweeter is from a marketing shot of the 50ASL Hi-Fi classic (only differences is the edges is stepped instead of filleted on the Hi-Fi baffle -- but spacing is the same on the baffle).

The bottom one with the old tweeter is taken from the VK product page of the 50ASL Pro (they haven't updated the pictures of the 50 on up with those having new tweeters.)

I can find other pictures of the new tweeters on the 50-100-150 Pro but they aren't very good since they are camera phone pics. I have directly in front of me right now the 100ASL Pro with new tweeters and they are the exact same spacing in relation to the nearest horizontal edge and top edge on every 50-100-150. With the size change between speakers, the outer edge distance increases on the midrange/tweeter and the distance below the increased sized woofer but the other two stay the same (top and nearest horizontal.)

The only reason the tweeter isn't closer to the midrange is because of the massive magnet of the midrange behind the baffle. Seems when they made their own tweeter, the tweeter's front plate/waveguide was reduced so they could get it closer verses the SEAS (which by comparison has a huge front plate/waveguide that they still have to keep the spacing for the retrofit.)
Sorry for doubting you! It's just with Robertopisa's new tweeter on his 50's just back from the factory looking different from the subsequent photo which was posted it threw me a bit.

I think it is about time for ATC & their main stockists to update their photo's to reflect the new tweeter design. The old stylised shot with the larger pro versions sitting on what I believe are obsolete stands has become, well, a little old? Most if not all of the pro speakers are beautiful objects (from some angles at least) and it would be nice to see a few more shots that show them off a bit better. I've often wondered if someone was to pull the trigger, without first contacting the supplier, on a pair of pro 50's or 100's recently, whether they would automatically receive the updated version.... or if it still has to be specified.

Congrats on owning a pair of 100's btw.
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Every 50 to 150 gets the new version for about a year now. Since they are all made to order, there's no back stock. No need to contact a distributor/dealer about that (though admittedly I did confirm this even knowing because the confusing pictures used by the variety of dealers/distributors and even ATC.)

ATC needs to work on getting consistent info out there. If you look closely not only are there outdated pictures but some of the dimensions, weights, and outputs are wrong. I had to contact Ben Lilly to get confirmation on multiple different dimension numbers on ATC's website's documents concerning the SCM 01-15SL. The 20ASL Pro had incorrect numbers (they still might be) that matched the mk1 and not the mk2. It was obvious because the old mk1 had metal cabinets. They need to get someone to proof the website and then pass that to all their dealers/distributors (who usually just have cloned info from the website -- but sometimes different versions of the website .)
Old 2nd October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Good point pentagon, as I did not find a picture with the new baffle.

As I am listening at distance 180-190cm from the tweeter-mid, do you think that having the tweeter 12mm closer to the mid would make a significant difference? I would expect that it can make it at, say, 90-100cm.

Edit: From a quick computation, 12mm of difference at 180-190cm distance are perceived as a change of 1/3 degree in the angle at the listening point. Looking at both speakers, if they are perfectly on level, this is equivalent to one tweeter aiming at 1/3 degree above or below the other. I think this is negligile as, unless we are at NASA, I do not think that our speakers are perfectly on level

Quote:
That means there are also new baffles for the whole line with smaller cutouts for the new tweeter driver that are closer to the midrange (by what looks to be 12mm.) Because the new tweeter is closer to the midrange on new speakers, it means the ka factor is better between the two drivers.
ka new speaker << ka old speaker retrofitted
So directivity (coherence) between the tweeter/midrange has improved around the crossover. I guess the only way to get older speakers exactly the same as the new would be to pay for new baffles too.

Last edited by robertopisa; 2nd October 2016 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: typos, added degrees
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertopisa ➡️
Good point pentagon, as I did not find a picture with the new baffle.

As I am listening at distance 180-190cm from the tweeter-mid, do you think that having the tweeter 12mm closer to the mid would make a significant difference? I would expect that it can make it at, say, 90-100cm.
This is more academic than anything as I hadn't realized there was more of a physical change to the cabinet than swapping drivers and tuning amps for the new tweeters.

Based on the design of ATC's classic speakers (50-100-150), the original center-to-center distance of 13.75 cm (which you still have), should have placed the optimal crossover at 2,496 Hz (the wavelength of the distance between drivers.) However the actual crossover is 3,500 Hz. With the midrange having a waveguide/throat of around 15 cm diameter (and the magnet being even larger behind the baffle than 15 cm) there's no way to get the tweeter close enough to the optimal position for a 3.5 kHz crossover. That position would be 9.8 cm center to center; that would put the edge of the tweeter dome 1 cm above the edge of the midrange's throat which is impossible.

And yet you don't want a XO as low as the optimal 2.5 kHz (for the current spacing) anyway since that puts us in the top-band of midrange coverage which our ears are sensitive to (and the famous ATC midrange does so well.) But all speaker design is compromise so we get these great speakers anyway. Do I think that a 12 mm change is going to make a significant change?... I have no idea; it raised the optimal crossover by 240 Hz -- so a little less than 10%. There's probably a little less lobing between the tweeter and the midrange and a slightly smoother crossover over a wider sweetspot. By just a little.

I was just pleased they took advantage of whatever small benefit they could since, for many people, all the ATC speakers look the same since the company started making them. Maybe one day they'll be figure out how to do a coaxial mid/tweeter keeping their large magnets, dual suspension spiders, and voice coil gaps that keep the distortion so low.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Interesting comment, I did not realize that the distance has an impact on the crossover. They probably got a good compromise. I am wondering at this point if the new 50s will have the crossover point changed. Thanks.
-R
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Interesting comment, I did not realize that the distance has an impact on the crossover. They probably got a good compromise. I am wondering at this point if the new 50s will have the crossover point changed. Thanks.
-R
Nope, the crossovers are still the same for the full range of speakers; this is definitely true. They were/are picked for the best frequency bands per driver and phase response (near perfect phase wrap at the XO frequencies). This is independent of directionality/beaming.

Just to figure this out, I ran the numbers and for the midrange: up to 1.45 kHz (ka=1) it has an omni directionality, it then narrows up to 2.9kHz (ka=2) and by the time it hits the XO it is at ka=2.4. That's really good for speaker radiation (ka=5 is usually the upper limit for speaker radiation due to supreme directionality and the forming of rear lobes.)

For the tweeter, it's omni up to about 4.37kHz (ka=1) and then narrows at 8.73kHz (ka =2). ka=5 is outside of human hearing.

(and all the woofers are comfortably both radiating omni and positionally good in the baffle for the crossover because of the large wavelengths)
Old 14th October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
They arrived a couple of weeks ago. ATC checked also my amps, replaced a cap and calibrated them. My dealer told me that they are practically brand new after the checking. I will put the speakers on their stands asap, I am waiting for some friends helping me.

This is a snapshot of the new tweeter installed in my SCM50ASLs.

Hi ! so what your opinion on the new teeter ? I m intrigued !
Old 15th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The ATC designers describe the new tweeter as "effortless", which I agree. Compared to it, the previous tweeter sounds coarser grained; the new tweeter is more fluid.

Caveat: I am comparing a brand new tweeter with a used one. Also, I asked ATC to check my amps, so they replaced a couple of caps and recalibrated the speakers. When my speakers were at ATC, I changed my room treatment. It's just a week that the ATCs are back to their stands, so things might have changed a bit.

I do not know if any owner can confirm this: now my SCM 50 ASLs sound definitely better but the bass is weaker than before. Roughly speaking, the octave below 50Hz is around 10dB lower. Is that due the standard calibration?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I do not know if any owner can confirm this: now my SCM 50 ASLs sound definitely better but the bass is weaker than before. Roughly speaking, the octave below 50Hz is around 10dB lower. Is that due the standard calibration?
I don't know which generation of amp pack you have but by any chance (if you have an amp pack with the controls on the outside) was the bass boost previously adjusted on the back (it's a small control that takes a small screwdriver to adjust.)

It's possibly they put it back to the standard when you previously had it with the +6dB boost (this centers at around 40 Hz so seems to fit with your issue.)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Related, kind of..
What's the consensus on moving the tweeter on the SCM-50s, and place cabinet horizontally, compared stock placement/vertically?
In case you wanted this, should they then be ordered/calibrated that way?

I've searched ATC website and four pages of ATC threads here but didn't find any info.. :-)
Old 16th October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit7 ➡️
Related, kind of..
What's the consensus on moving the tweeter on the SCM-50s, and place cabinet horizontally, compared stock placement/vertically?
In case you wanted this, should they then be ordered/calibrated that way?

I've searched ATC website and four pages of ATC threads here but didn't find any info.. :-)
No calibration and they work as intended. I have a pair of 50ASL that have been used in both directions (soffit mounted horizontally and now vertically mounted freestanding.)

If you order them "this way" the big (not really) change is the ATC sticker and the led lights are changed orientation. The LED lights for clipping/on are the bigger deal because they are actually drilled into the baffle whereas the stickers are just really stickers (you'll note they are both square for a reason.) When changing to vertical, I didn't bother having the stickers/led lights changed. That would involve getting a new baffle, if it really mattered, and that would get more expensive to get the parts in the US from the UK and moving all the drivers between the two; plus always a chance of damage doing that. Moving and reconnecting the tweeter is easy: unbolt 3 (or 4) screws and the blank plate, disconnect the one connection, swap, reach inside and reconnect, rebolt -- less than 10 mins a speaker.

FYI: The midrange is a lot of work to move because you can't move it from the front so you have to take the amp off and go backwards--this is because the magnet is larger than the baffle cutout; The woofer goes out the front but is extremely heavy with tight tolerances (hard to wedge a grip to pull it out) and then you might knock the port guide.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No calibration and they work as intended. I have a pair of 50ASL that have been used in both directions (soffit mounted horizontally and now vertically mounted freestanding.)

If you order them "this way" the big (not really) change is the ATC sticker and the led lights are changed orientation. The LED lights for clipping/on are the bigger deal because they are actually drilled into the baffle whereas the stickers are just really stickers (you'll note they are both square for a reason.) When changing to vertical, I didn't bother having the stickers/led lights changed. That would involve getting a new baffle, if it really mattered, and that would get more expensive to get the parts in the US from the UK and moving all the drivers between the two; plus always a chance of damage doing that. Moving and reconnecting the tweeter is easy: unbolt 3 (or 4) screws and the blank plate, disconnect the one connection, swap, reach inside and reconnect, rebolt -- less than 10 mins a speaker.

FYI: The midrange is a lot of work to move because you can't move it from the front so you have to take the amp off and go backwards--this is because the magnet is larger than the baffle cutout; The woofer goes out the front but is extremely heavy with tight tolerances (hard to wedge a grip to pull it out) and then you might knock the port guide.
@ pentagon, Thanks a bunch for the info!! Another option for me would be behind the meter bridge of my desk. But to get the tweeter on proper height I would then have the air port behind the meter bridge, perhaps even a tiny bit of the lower part of the bass driver. Any input on that?
Old 16th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The frequencies coming off of the woofer (sub 380 Hz) are mostly below anything that will be affected by a meter bridge. The port isn't truly used as a bass-reflex design but for dampening to reduce distortion (or in other words, placing things in front of the port -- as long as you aren't truly sealing it -- won't make any difference.) You only need to clear the midrange and tweeter completely (and probably 15 degrees below the midrange so you aren't hitting a reflection situation off the desk.) Sounds like you'd be fine mounting them vertically.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
@ pentagon : actually I had the bass boost at the minimum. I have my laptop being serviced, so I cannot show the FR before and after by REW: the region below 80Hz had peaks around 40-60Hz, within a region of 15dB; now they are mitigated and are within a region of 10dB (±5 dB) and had to remove a couple of bass traps. So they did something. It's true that I changed some room treatment meanwhile, but it did not impact those low frequencies.

@ unit 7: I never noticed before that the SCM50 manual suggests the ear at the mid level (with some tolerance), rather than at the tweeter level. I tried with the new tweeter and actually I prefer to have ears at the mids, as suggested.
Old 16th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh definitely. On a 3-way (and especially the ATCs) you always want your ear aligned with the midrange center.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
remove a couple of bass traps
???
I have never heard of anyone doing this (for the better) if they are truly bass absorbers (and not broadband or mostly broadband.) Bass absorbers that hit below 80Hz are really big (unless using speciality designs) and unless you're in a massive room, I can't think why you'd want to do it (look at your waterfalls for long, low-end rumble.) It wouldn't help speaker performance in that range -- if you have reinforced bass for that reason it's all just smearing your bass down there.
Old 16th October 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I thought that it was an option to have the ear aligned with mids, so I preferred half-way between tweeter and midrange. Now I prefer the midrange center as suggested

As for the bass traps, they were not meant to treat below 80Hz, but I had them on the first reflection point in the floor. With the new setting, I prefer to have them removed. Having a second thought, maybe the reason they fixed the amps at ATC is that bass boost was not working properly, and this explains what happens below 50Hz as you said. I can ask ATC for an explanation of my amp fix, but I suspect they will not remember.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I can ask ATC for an explanation of my amp fix, but I suspect they will not remember.
I know the field service engineers keep detailed log books attached to the serial numbers for each speaker. I'd be surprised if the factory doesn't do the same.
Old 17th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing ➡️
I am considering changing the tweeters on my ATC SCM50ASL to ATC's new tweeters. Does anyone have an opinion as to the difference in sound between the new tweeters and the old, and especially on the same model of ATC monitors? If so, then I'd be pleased to hear details of your opinion and experience.
The new ATC twitters are IMO better in every way.. It makes the best studio monitors in the world even better
Old 15th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan ➡️
The new ATC twitters are IMO better in every way.. It makes the best studio monitors in the world even better
can you describe the difference?
Old 15th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp ➡️
can you describe the difference?
The high frequencies has more separation and better definition, it has clearer presentation and interacts better with the whole system
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have the 45s and used to have the 25s and i def prefer the 45s
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I've just switched from a pair of 50's with the old tweeter to a pair the new.

There's quite a significant difference to my ear, a little more lively/dynamic but ver pure sounding (terribly untechnical description I realise, so take with a pinch of salt) - a specific example I would give is that sibilance issues that are often later revealed on the laptop listen are much more noticeable (revisiting mixes I've been working on between the two sets of speakers).
Old 17th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I feel like the new tweeter makes ATC's top end just as special as the mids (and if you have the SL woofer just as special as the low end).

I just switched from 45's to 50's (mkII), and although both are incredible speakers, the 50's with the new tweeter are an amazing thing...
Old 12th March 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

New ATC tweeters vs Seas Excel

Hello All,
Tweeter issues are IMO a very crucial sector in a loudspeaker’s reproduction of music, so I would like to quote here my long term experience in the subject.
I am a hi-end enthusiast, possessing ATC speakers for almost 30 years! First (1987) SCM 20 passives, then (from 1994) SCM 50 Actives with Vifa tweeters, then (from 2002) the same SCM 50 Actives modified in ATC’s premises to Seas tweeters and finally (from 2009 up today) the SCM 100 towers, Active (discrete active crossover and amps) with Seas tweeters, as well the SCM 40 passives (first generation) in my cottage!

Every step of the above mentioned evolution in my stereo, became after very careful auditioning of the next, (then new) model in order to evaluate if really there was a worth the money improvement over the previous model. Going from Vifa tweeters to Seas Excels (ATC introduced them first in the SCM 70), it was IMO the most HUGE improvement in all ATC models, transforming them from a (very useful, but ruthlessly revealing and not at all Hi-End) studio monitoring tool, to an acoustically very engaging, but also very precise Hi-End loudspeaker!

All those years I have discussed (via e-mail or also face to face in Hi-End shows) a lot of issues with the ATC’s engineering and support team (Bob, Ben, Alan) and I must say they always were very supportive, as well as, they responded immediately and very friendly in my mails.

This was the case, until they announced the new ATC’s own tweeters, as well as (in April of 2014 if I correctly remember) the modification kit for the previous models (like mine SCM 100), which-according to the announcement-would be available in summer of 2014! We (me, as well the agent of ATC in my country) have sent them 4 mails (not all together, one every year) asking about the availability of the new modification kit, as well the worthiness of such a “surgery”, but in vain!! We never received a respond!!

I don’t mention this in order to accuse them for unprofessional behavior, not at all! But this sudden turnaround in their (before very responsive, supportive and friendly) attitude, forced me to be very suspicious in the ATC’s new tweeter subject!

As well, all that “resonant” silence from ATC, made me to be a very critical listener of the new ATC’s models (with their new ATC tweeters) in the annual Hi End Shows in my country. The new models that I (very extensively and carefully) auditioned for 3 consecutive years (SCM 50, 40, 19, all of them passives, with ATC’s tweeters) in my – surely very subjective – opinion, hardly reminds the excellent balance, robustness, coherence and sonic flavors of the previous models! The new ones, IMO are more ..hi-fi, not hi-end!

In accordance to my above – subjective –findings, is the (objective) following: If you go today in ATC’s website you can see (in the pictures, but also in the “description” and “Specifications” that the 50,100,150 of Classic series and Anniversary Series, use TODAY the Seas Excel tweeter!! Only in the Special Edition Series they use their new tweeter, but in the flagship of the Special edition Series, the EL 150, they use-guess-the Seas Excel tweeter!!! If you don’t put your own new tweeter in your flagship loudspeaker, instead you put Seas Excel, then this means something!

A final remark: Do you know that every 1-3 years (depending from the use and how loud you listen to) you must replace the tweeters? ATC in the older(and very much more informative) Instruction Manual of SCM 50 says that: “Where the monitors are continuously driven at high sound levels, some deterioration will take place in the tweeters which is caused by the evaporation of ferrofluid. In critical monitoring situations the tweeters should be replaced ANNUALLY”!!

Have you ever replaced a pair of tweeters (with new ones of the same model) after some years of use? I have! A lot, every 2 years.
Because they gradually (but very slowly) lose their sparkle, you don’t understand the loss of their freshness, or the increase of deterioration, but you feel it like your stereo generally getting older, like loses its excitement, the lows (bases) became more (unpleasantly) prominent, etc. Replace the tweeters with new of the same model and you should not believe in your ears how fresh, involving and Hi-End becomes your stereo once again…

So, don’t compare ATC loudspeakers (or any other ones) wearing brand new ATC tweeters, to ATC loudspeakers wearing very old and “tired” Seas tweeters. It’s unfair, as well as, very painful to your pocket and to your mental balance…
Old 12th March 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have to disagree.

Firstly on the replacement of tweeters every year (or three) - this is due to the evaporation of ferrofluids. The ATC tweeters don't use ferrofluids, even though ferrofluids help you solve a lot of problems, so you can probably expect the newer tweeters to last a lot longer.

Secondly, I've done side-by-side tweeter comparison myself now... all three tweeter generations (and both the ATC tweeter models) and the ATC tweeters are definitely a step up to my engineer's ears, and to my casual listening ears as well.

Thirdly, you kind of need to call ATC rather than email. I can't say I've ever got through to them via an email but I've had (probably too many) phone conversations with them and having nothing but good things to say about the R&D guys.

Fourthly, they're just slow at updating the website and it seems to me all their speakers use their own tweeters now, apart from the 25s...

FWIW I'm not affiliated with ATC, I own a pair of the SCM20 mk2s (and had a pair of the older passive SCM20 before), and go out to a lot of studios which have ATCs, so I hear at least one pair pretty much every day I'm working...
Old 13th March 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Dear Alex (and Pentagon), thanks for the disagreement. Responding, I have to say that:
1. What I wrote (been very experienced through the years in ATC’s sonic behavior) is from the view (and hearing) point of a Hi-End enthusiast and audiophile, not from the one of a studio engineer’s. And of course is what I auditioning IMOE (In My Own Ears). It’s fully respected you or everybody else to have a different opinion.
2. I have been invited some times in a monitoring studio (the agent of ATC in my country used to ran one very famous for many years) where I discovered that there’s a lot of different things that a studio engineer expects from a loudspeaker, comparing to what an audiophile wants. He (the studio engineer) mainly wants a very analytical and ruthlessly revealing studio monitoring tool (to “cut and sew”); the audiophile wants an acoustically very engaging, inviting, but also very precise Hi-End loudspeaker to enjoy music! As well, it’s very different the acoustical treatment of a monitoring studio environment, comparing to that of a domestic listening room (not to mention the differences from person to person in each own ears, or in each own brain “processor”)!
3. In any case, I agree with you that from the studio engineer’s point of view, the new ATC tweeter is better for a monitoring tool, been more analytical and revealing (IMOE), but I am not convinced that it’s really better for music enjoyment, from an audiophile’s point of view (always IMOE)!
4. That makes me to wonder if for that reason ATC keeps TODAY (according to its website, if it’s updated) two different lines of production in its “Consumer Hi-Fi” area. The Special Edition Series (with ATC’s new tweeter) for those who prefer the alternative of like studio monitoring auditioning in home, as well as, the Classic series and Anniversary Series (as well its SE flagship EL150) with Seas tweeter, for the audiophiles?
Furthermore, it runs one more separate line of Professional Monitors for Studio Pros, all of which wear of course the new ATC tweeters.
5. I am a mechanical engineer with a degree in acoustics. So I very well know the problems that a tweeter has to deal with enormous heat amounts when its voice coil runs up to 20.000 violent pulses per second for many hours, more or less loudly! This is where the ferrofluid comes to help, evaporating. And yes, I know how frustrating is to deal with a replacement of a pair of tweeters every 1-3 years. And yes, for that reason a lot of studio engineers and audiophiles (including me) were expecting the new ATC tweeter without ferrofluid, to release us from that frustration! But I wonder (again): What compromises (mainly in the sonic reproduction), an engineer has to overcame successfully during the development of new tweeter without the use of ferrofluid? Which way all this enormous heat amounts could be dissipated without harm the sonic issues? As well, how sure could be anyone of us, that all this heat couldn’t cause any long term problems in the materials (as well in the sonic behavior) of a non ferrofluid tweter?
6. The side by side comparison that you have made with all three tweeters, are you sure that referred to three brand new (but broken-in) tweeters?
7. As everybody could recognize, I am a very addicted ATC enthusiast! So I honestly have no intention to harm the reputation of ATC. Instead, I am grateful because they gave me 30 years of enormous music pleasure and support! And I hope many more to come! As well for the (more than 10 years) efforts of its R&D team to release us from the frustration of the ferrofluid issues.
But in any case, what I think is that ATC ought to update correctly its website (if it isn’t) and clarify (at list) what tweeter wears every of its models, as well to responsibly announce what the hell is happening with the (from 2014 advertised) modification kit for us with the previous models.
8. The only thing that I want to say in the end of the day, according to up today’s facts, ATC’s silence in the issue, as well according to my – very subjective – opinion (IMOE) on the sonic behaviors of the two “opponents”, is that maybe we must not be in hurry to make a very painful modification until we (everybody separately) have been sure (In His Own Ears) that it is worth to be done. If you are (sure) it’s O.K. for me...
Old 14th March 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC addicted ➡️
That makes me to wonder if for that reason ATC keeps TODAY (according to its website, if it’s updated) two different lines of production in its “Consumer Hi-Fi” area. The Special Edition Series (with ATC’s new tweeter) for those who prefer the alternative of like studio monitoring auditioning in home, as well as, the Classic series and Anniversary Series (as well its SE flagship EL150) with Seas tweeter, for the audiophiles?
Furthermore, it runs one more separate line of Professional Monitors for Studio Pros, all of which wear of course the new ATC tweeters.
All ATC Speakers, pro and hifi, with the exception of the SCM25A, SCM200ASL and SCM300ASL use the new ATC tweeters. The pictures on the website have not been updated, but the text shows the new tweeters are included.
Upgrading has proved a more difficult challenge than originally anticipated 3 years ago. The sensitivity of the ATC tweeters is too different for a simple drop in. Re-calibration is necessary. Unfortunately, this needs to be done at the factory at the moment. (We are working on a system to do this at the importer level, rather than sending it to the factor. A universal system worldwide to reach factory standards has been the difficulty).

Last edited by ToddP; 15th March 2017 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: for clarity
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

ATC addicted, may I ask where you are from ?

I understand your frustration for the delay in the new tweeter. Yet Todd just explained above, and I've had Ben recently by email telling me that: yes the drop in was factory only for now. fast reply. He also replied very fast for a simple front-grill issue ( i want to buy new one) or for an old Custom Atc monitor that I found second hand. He explained the history of such an old model after finding out what it was, just for me to MAYBE buy a second hand ATC.

Pretty responsive to me. maybe you have an older email, ask Brad or Todd maybe.
best
📝 Reply