The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pan potentiometrs on passive summing box
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson ➡️
The BA640 would be a 'Neve imposter'. I cannot remember the schematic of the BA640 whether it is the class B design or class A, which was designed to run with significant DC current through the output transformer primary. The ratio was different too of course. Audix did not run any DC through transformer windings.
The 35104 followed by a line drive output amplifier such as contained on part of the D259 when connected to the Sowter transformer that Audix used with it's 1:2 ratio is a simplified path of what was used on that series of Audix desks.
The Neve Lo???? output transformer was designed with a 1:1.7 ratio and used a class A drive amplifier so although that would work, it may not achieve the originally required +24dBu output int 600 Ohms.
At least 6 of the people I worked with at Audix had previously worked at Neve as the two companies were separated by a few miles distance so exchanges of personnel were quite frequent.
Matt S
I have 04x transformer Marinair LO2567 (Neve 1081).
I got some Sowter 4335 1: 2 (160/600 nickel / iron) from some Audix console routing modules. I think they will work well with the D259 drive.
I'm going to do tests.
The B640 card is the hybrid replacement for the BA440 / BA340 (Neve 33114, 33415, etc.). He must push the LO2567.
Greetings.
I saw some panpot modules with Auxiliary, Lawo / Neumann / danner. Perhaps it is an alternative for me.
Thank you very much for the information.
sorry my english .. I use the goole translator

Matt, did you work at Audix? cool.
Do you own the complete manual for Audix consoles?
I just found the diagram for Audix 35102 and 35101 until today.
I thought about buying the Audix routing module, but I didn't find any information about them. (Audix 35212; 35207; 35206, 35205, etc.)
Greetings.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi
You have to decide what you want to achieve and be aware that to use a transformer with a heavy DC 'bias' current the core must be gapped (the Neve one for example).
I don't have any manuals for the Audix desks I am afraid.
As Danner modules also use a 24 Volt DC rail make sure that any you might use are negative earth or completely 'floating' as it could be entertaining having a mix of negative and positive earth circuitry. Not impossible but needs careful thought.
I have worked for Audix (1979 to about 1984) then Calrec and AMEK over the years. I have a random collection of broken modules from several manufacturers.
Matt S
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi
You have to decide what you want to achieve and be aware that to use a transformer with a heavy DC 'bias' current the core must be gapped (the Neve one for example).
I don't have any manuals for the Audix desks I am afraid.
As Danner modules also use a 24 Volt DC rail make sure that any you might use are negative earth or completely 'floating' as it could be entertaining having a mix of negative and positive earth circuitry. Not impossible but needs careful thought.
I have worked for Audix (1979 to about 1984) then Calrec and AMEK over the years. I have a random collection of broken modules from several manufacturers.
Matt S
Good night, Matt
Just one more question for you, who worked at Audix.
Why do you have crackles when turning the gain switch? each stage clicks.
I did this test, with a carnhill output transformer, with a gap. (LO1166 style).
Greetings.
Sorry for so many questions.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi
The fact that the modules are 40 years old and who knows how much operational use they have had, plus they will need the capacitors replaced makes crackles when switching likely. The gain switches are gold plated Elma types so very good. Using a gapped transformer will obviously work but will not give a response that is the same as the original intended version. The loss of a couple of dB headroom may not bother you as much as the 6dB 'loss' by not using the transformer.
Matt S
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi
The fact that the modules are 40 years old and who knows how much operational use they have had, plus they will need the capacitors replaced makes crackles when switching likely. The gain switches are gold plated Elma types so very good. Using a gapped transformer will obviously work but will not give a response that is the same as the original intended version. The loss of a couple of dB headroom may not bother you as much as the 6dB 'loss' by not using the transformer.
Matt S
Hi Matt
I did a test with the Sowter 4335, 1: 2 output transformer. The sound became more open, with more air. Liked it.
The crackling continues. I noticed that there are no pops ("pop", "pop") in the line stage. When it exceeds the line gain for mic, it gives a bigger crack. After, each point continues the "pop", "pop" .. I don't know if this is normal.
Greetings.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bo it shouldn't make any popping noises it just needs repairing.
Matt s
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Bo it shouldn't make any popping noises it just needs repairing.
Matt s
Hi, Matt.
You were right.
I tested the Sowter 4335 output transformer, 1: 2, on Audix. The sound was very good. Better than carnhill, LO1166 style.
I learned that the Audix Consoles also had Marinair-1919 output transformers.
You know?
Are they a better option than the sowter 4127/4335?
Greetings
Thanks again for the information
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hi
Audix made several mixing desks of which B100, 35000 'series' MXT1000, MXT1200 were the ones I worked on.
I don't remember a Marinair output transformer but T1442, T1447 and T1448 were used as input transformers.
The PA side of Audix used a range of different transformers for mic, line in ,line out and 100 Volt line speaker outputs.
MattS
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…